• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2020 AOS Only

Hello @Sm1smom

My situation:
- we are in the USA
- I am currently on L-1 grace period (was laid off two weeks ago)
- I have started AoS last summer as NIW, so I have EAD, but I have not used it, so I am still on "non-immigrant status"
- My wife was selected for DV-2020 which we considered as a back up, but now it might become the primary option (as it became current from June and I might not be able to find "similar to previous" job to satisfy NIW criteria)

Questions:
Q1: do you know if my wife can file AoS for her DV case if we are on L-1 grace period? I am aware that we need to pull out my NIW case first if we do that, but I am not sure if the grace period gives me the rights for AoS.
Q2: after the grace period is over we will automatically become "immigrants" with pending NIW AoS. Do you know if we can switch from NIW (my case) to DV (my wife's case)?

Many thanks for you help! Stay Safe!
Hi @quiver80 I see that you wrote in the timeline that you received the BIO letter on June 16th, can you tell us when was/is scheduled the bio appointment? Also is there any additional updates on your case?

Dear Mom,

I might think it over, just curious.
I'm working based on F-1 OPT working permit right now. Once my green card application has been approved, my F-1 visa will not be valid any more, right? Will it be a problem if I keep working before I get the physical green card?

Thank you for your help!

Dear Mom,

I might think it over, just curious.
I'm working based on F-1 OPT working permit right now. Once my green card application has been approved, my F-1 visa will not be valid any more, right? Will it be a problem if I keep working before I get the physical green card?

Thank you for your help!

I don't think that will be a problem, if your current OPT work permit is still valid I don't see any issue with it.

I don't think that will be a problem, if your current OPT work permit is still valid I don't see any issue with it.

Hi @val94,

Thank you for your reply and comment. The thing I concern is that my OPT permit comes with my F1 visa. Once my F1 visa is not valid, I'm worried about if my OPT premit can still be used.

If your F1 visa is no longer valid it will be because you are a LPR, which gives you the right to work.
But before you get the actual GC (wait time up to a month), how do you prove that you are LPR. I'm in a similar situations, and afraid to get in trouble, though it is too soon to think about this in my case (no interview scheduled yet)....

Hi, yes we had the interview on July 23. It lasted about one hour and a half. The official was serious but nice and respectful. He was hesitant on how to move forward with the interview without the biometrics, but we asked him to do it due to the limited deadline for DV’s and he agreed. In general terms the interview focused on confirming your application information and corroborating your legal status in the US. Be prepared to show all supporting documents. Our biometrics letter arrived two days later directly from NBC. We took our biometrics yesterday (August 5) and it was a breeze. The staff was very nice and helpful. We already received both updates on our cases at USCIS website. We hope to hear good news soon. Let us know if you have further questions. Good luck!

Hello @MariJac congrats on your interview, I hope you're doing well. I noticed that there's no info of you in the timeline sheet. I added your username at the bottom, could you please fill it out? Thank you!

@Sm1smom, I completed my interview on 7/29 and I got my approval letter on 8/3.
However, I didn’t receive welcome letter. But when I checked the 2020 timeline spreadsheet, I saw people received it.
Also, today is my opt last day so I’m not allow to work if I don’t get green card. Do you have any opinions about get green card soon or any way I can work before I get my green card? Thanks!

Attachments

• 88BFAB4C-B512-45B9-A62D-CC3881EEB3B5.jpeg
    88BFAB4C-B512-45B9-A62D-CC3881EEB3B5.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 46
@Sm1smom, I completed my interview on 7/29 and I got my approval letter on 8/3.
However, I didn’t receive welcome letter. But when I checked the 2020 timeline spreadsheet, I saw people received it.
Also, today is my opt last day so I’m not allow to work if I don’t get green card. Do you have any opinions about get green card soon or any way I can work before I get my green card? Thanks!

What does your online case status say? When it says "card mail" you should receive it in the next couple of days. If not it may take a while.

@kratos just received the GC today and they got the approval notice on August 3rd. So far the other people with FO like @Denique and @aprilyeah got their approval notice on August 3rd too. @ysim got it on August 6th and @reachingthesummit got it today too. They haven't received their GC yet.

If your work permit is expired then you will have to be patient and wait for the real GC to arrive. The USCIS website says that if you don't get it within 30 days you should contact them.

You're almost there! :)

Hello Mom,

My money was cashed 04/22/2020 and then I received a confirmation text on the 23rd and finally got a mailed notice on the 27th. However I still didn't get any letter for the bio-metrics till now. Is it taking them longer now with everyone due to the current situation? Or should I call them and check ?

Thank you so much
Hi @Bolli any updates on your case?

@val94 Thanks for your reply. Now I understand approval letter is same as welcome letter. My online status is case approved. So I’ll be patient and wait until status change. Thanks!

If your F1 visa is no longer valid it will be because you are a LPR, which gives you the right to work.
As long as you don't let international office of your university know that your adjustment of status has been approved you can maintain your SEVIS status active.

Last edited:
But before you get the actual GC (wait time up to a month), how do you prove that you are LPR. I'm in a similar situations, and afraid to get in trouble, though it is too soon to think about this in my case (no interview scheduled yet)....
You can change your status once GC is received.

Dear @Sm1smom, I know I mentioned this already but it's kind of an emergency so I'll ask just to be sure.
Let's say that hypothetically my interview goes smooth and the IO accepts to stamp my passport with an I-551 on the spot.

Should I feel 100% tranquil to fly out of the US immediately?

Thank you!