• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2020 AOS Only

By just reading the instructions of the form I-485, I agree that it is clear that the answer should be yes. But then we did some google searches and that's when we weren't so sure anymore because some people said the answer should be yes, others said no. My goal is indeed to answer truthfully (not whether there will be issues with my answer).

If the actual instructions make it clear then what more did you need? I don’t understand why you would second guess something that you say is both clear and official?

Ok so before I describe his interview experience, these are some details about my brother, just to put everything in context.
He's on F1 status, just graduated December 2019
He is single, never married
No kids
No criminal record
No previous employment or income in the US
No loans to his name
Barely active on social media
Father's brothers are US citizens.
Country of chargeability: Saudi Arabia
Documents submitted: all the standard documents listed in the spreadsheet. He DID NOT submit an I-134. He just had a letter of support from our father, and father's and his own bank statements.

His interview was scheduled for 8 am. He was told to give his interview letter to an officer in the waiting room, otherwise they WOULD NOT KNOW HE WAS THERE.
He waited for 5 minutes before being called in.
The officer looked through his documents. He was asked for his diploma, but he hasn't received that yet, so he just showed the officer his transcripts.
He was asked a few basic questions from his I-485, just confirming the answers he had given.
My brother had made a mistake with the date he had moved out of one his previous addresses (he was not aware of this mistake till the officer asked him when he had moved out of that house). The officer corrected the date and moved on.
My brother has one traffic citation which he listed on the form. He was not asked about it.
The whole interview lasted about 10 minutes.
At the end, after my brother had signed the paper, the officer asked him who had paid for his education, and what my father does.
The officer then told him to check his case status online, and that it should be updated within the hour. He would be informed if they needed any more documents, and that "based on your timeline, we might give you a call".

And that was it. We checked his case status about 10 minutes after the end of his interview, and it said New Card is Being Produced.

All in all, very straightforward interview. I'm not quite sure what the officer meant by 'based on your timeline'. Maybe referring to the fact that my brother has already graduated but hasn't applied for an OPT, so he would have had to leave the US soon if it weren't for this?

Anyway, so glad this is over! Again we are so grateful for this forum and all the people on it. Thank you!

Congrats. Hearing your brother's story gives me hope. :)

By just reading the instructions of the form I-485, I agree that it is clear that the answer should be yes. But then we did some google searches and that's when we weren't so sure anymore because some people said the answer should be yes, others said no. My goal is indeed to answer truthfully (not whether there will be issues with my answer).

Not sure why you were still searching all over the internet and contemplating how to answer the question if the instructions, from the official source by the way, already made it clear on what the answer should be, which is a “Yes”. Your previous post in which you stated you guys are leaning towards saying “NO”, followed by “we might answer yes as well” following a report by another member on the outcome of their interview didn’t come across to me as intending to truthfully answer the question hence my previous response to you.

If the actual instructions make it clear then what more did you need? I don’t understand why you would second guess something that you say is both clear and official?
Not sure why you were still searching all over the internet and contemplating how to answer the question if the instructions, from the official source by the way, already made it clear on what the answer should be, which is a “Yes”. Your previous post in which you stated you guys are leaning towards saying “NO”, followed by “we might answer yes as well” following a report by another member on the outcome of their interview didn’t come across to me as intending to truthfully answer the question hence my previous response to you.
We wanted to be sure that we interpreted the instructions correctly, which is why we searched on google to see what someone with more knowledge/experience would say (the intent of doing the google search was not find a reason to answer NO, but to ensure that YES was indeed the correct answer). And that's when we found some sources saying that if it was a traffic citation, or if the fine was below a certain amount, we should not answer yes. I assumed that since those advice were coming from immigration attorneys that they might have more experience and may know some "unspoken rule" as to how we should answer.

But now that I've read another member's brother's experience, I know that the answer should've been yes all along (and perhaps the attorneys' advice was misleading...).

I am DV2020 selectee and I will file AOS in the near future. The photo I uploaded when registering for the lottery was the same as one I uploaded on my form DS-160 when I applied for student visa but the photo was taken within 6 months and also form submission was within 6 months of lottery registration. Will using the same photo be an issue?

Last edited:
I am DV2020 selectee and I will file AOS in the near future. The photo I uploaded when registering for the lottery was the same as one I uploaded on my form DS-160 when I applied for student visa but the photo was taken within 6 months and also form submission was within 6 months of lottery registration. Will using the same photo be an issue?

Probably not. Only photo related AOS denial I know of had to do with the spouse (main selectee) uploading what the IO termed “wrong photo” during the registration period, and by that I assume the spouse mistakenly uploaded a photo that wasn’t of their spouse. The IO didn’t show them what the “wrong photo” looked like, so that is my deduction based on the narrative. Main selectee was approved, spouse was denied.

I have two questions regarding AOS filling fee:
1. I need to mail the personal check together with I-485 and all documents or separately?
2. We are family of 4 filling together. Show I pay 1225$ per person (total of 4900$) or it is 1225$ for the application of us 4?

Thanks in advance!

I have two questions regarding AOS filling fee:
1. I need to mail the personal check together with I-485 and all documents or separately?
2. We are family of 4 filling together. Show I pay 1225$ per person (total of 4900$) or it is 1225$ for the application of us 4?

Thanks in advance!

1. Together.
2. 4 applications = 4 payments.

1. Together.
2. 4 applications = 4 payments.
I'm sorry for repeating. Just want to clarify, because I have pretty same situation. Payments $330 (to the DOS), $1,225 (filling fee), $1,140 (I-485) and $85 (biometr.) all must be paid according to the number of applicants?

I'm sorry for repeating. Just want to clarify, because I have pretty same situation. Payments $330 (to the DOS), $1,225 (filling fee), $1,140 (I-485) and $85 (biometr.) all must be paid according to the number of applicants?

$330 x number of applicants (i.e. number of applicants = main selectee + all derivatives) - DV Processing fee.
$1,225 x number of applicants - AOS application fee.
(Exception: for applicants under 14 years or over 79 years, subtract the $85 bio fee) review the Filing Fee section of the I-485 form for further clarification on the exception).

Side note: make sure KCC is fully aware of your processing option. I seem to recollect you previously stated you contacted KCC to change your interview process preference from AOS to CP.

@Lara1 referring to @Sm1smom she is right. Here is a breakdown for your ease:

First Payment > 1. DV Administrative fee of $330 per applicant payable to "Department of State" = $330

Wait until you become current (and then submit second payment)

Second Payment> 1. AOS Application fee (you referring as filing fee),includes the $1140 (I-485) fee plus $85 (biometrics fee) = 1140+85 = $1225

Each payment needs to be multiplied by number of applicant and sent as a money order or cashiers check of the total amount. Adjust for anyone under or over the age as mentioned by @Sm1smom

$330 x number of applicants (i.e. number of applicants = main selectee + all derivatives) - DV Processing fee.
$1,225 x number of applicants - AOS application fee.
(Exception: for applicants under 14 years or over 79 years, subtract the $85 bio fee) review the Filing Fee section of the I-485 form for further clarification on the exception).

Side note: make sure KCC is fully aware of your processing option. I seem to recollect you previously stated you contacted KCC to change your interview process preference from AOS to CP.

@asm_dv Thank you for breaking down the payment information.
@Sm1smom Yes, I've previously contacted with the KCC to change me to CP. Then in October, when I've received 2NL it showed that I was AOS (don't know how, but I'm ok with it). On that day I contacted KCC to clarify that I'm AOS and unlocked application to make the necessary changes (regarding updated fields: social media, etc). Currently, I'm thinking to make the first payment $330. Hopefully, our number is not too far.

@asm_dv Thank you for breaking down the payment information.
@Sm1smom Yes, I've previously contacted with the KCC to change me to CP. Then in October, when I've received 2NL it showed that I was AOS (don't know how, but I'm ok with it). On that day I contacted KCC to clarify that I'm AOS and unlocked application to make the necessary changes (regarding updated fields: social media, etc). Currently, I'm thinking to make the first payment $330. Hopefully, our number is not too far.

Considering your use of the phrase “our number”, hope you realize your first payment (the DV administrative fee) will be more than $330.

Considering your use of the phrase “our number”, hope you realize your first payment (the DV administrative fee) will be more than $330.

:) Yes I do realize. It will be multiplied by 4, which is why I am just thinking yet, and checking the bulletin. At the same time, after the payment there is a month (or could be more) to get a receipt of that payment.

Good morning @Sm1smom
Yesterday I spoke to a second level representative and she sent an expedite request for my case. She told me to wait between 5 and 10 mins. This morning I called the Kcc to check if my FO requested my case and the woman said that they didn't request it and suggested me that if i am ready to be scheduled for an interview, to call uscis and tell to them that they have to request my case at kcc.

Do you think it is better to call Uscis to say that?

Good morning @Sm1smom
Yesterday I spoke to a second level representative and she sent an expedite request for my case. She told me to wait between 5 and 10 mins. This morning I called the Kcc to check if my FO requested my case and the woman said that they didn't request it and suggested me that if i am ready to be scheduled for an interview, to call uscis and tell to them that they have to request my case at kcc.

Do you think it is better to call Uscis to say that?

The guidance from KCC is inaccurate, they keep providing this wrong information year after year - KCC doesn’t understand the AOS process. You can’t call USCIS or your FO and ask them to request your KCC file. Your FO will make the request on their own.

The guidance from KCC is inaccurate, they keep providing this wrong information year after year - KCC doesn’t understand the AOS process. You can’t call USCIS or your FO and ask them to request your KCC file. Your FO will make the request on their own.
1)So, at this point, if the field office still did not request my case, is ok?
2) They can request my case at KCC before or after interview?

1)So, at this point, if the field office still did not request my case, is ok?
2) They can request my case at KCC before or after interview?

1. It means the FO is not ready to make the request, they will eventually.

2. Request can be made before or after your interview, it all depends on your FO.