• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2020 AOS Only

Don’t feel down or negative. What @boobbb described is not quite accurate.

Making you feel down was not my intention. I accurately wrote my personal experience in my home country. The officer actually showed me the screen with all 3 previous old pictures. I just thought you should be aware of the fact they can actually see your previous pictures, so you wouddn't say it's a new pic if being asked. I assumed all of their digital databases are all connected. But if Mom says otherwise - she's the expert.

Good morning @Sm1smom
I was reading past experiences and I run into this conversation
1)USER 1 SAY: Dear all
I've got a very very important question. I am currently on a valid F1 Visa but my current I20 will expire in July 2019. I did not know when my case number would get current and when my interview was going be so I extended my I20 for another year BEFORE filing anything. My new I20 was issued in February and I made a copy from each one and put both in my package and send it last week (my case number got current a month earlier compared to the previous years). Today I heard from a friend that extending I20 means I don't intend to stay in America and has contradiction with filing I-485 and so all such cases will be denied. Is is true??
They have not texted me so far I mean the package has not officially been accepted yet.
2) @Sm1smom answer: You did exactly the right thing. Extending your current status (and getting the approval) prior to filing is the right step to have taken. Tell your friend to stop talking and creating unnecessary fear over a process they do not understand.

Now comes my question
I am on F1 visa that will expire on my passport in July. My I 20 must be renewed every December. In the package I included all the I 20s except the one that I just renewed couple days ago, but I had the intention to bring it at the interview. Is this a problem?

Good morning @Sm1smom
I was reading past experiences and I run into this conversation
1)USER 1 SAY: Dear all
I've got a very very important question. I am currently on a valid F1 Visa but my current I20 will expire in July 2019. I did not know when my case number would get current and when my interview was going be so I extended my I20 for another year BEFORE filing anything. My new I20 was issued in February and I made a copy from each one and put both in my package and send it last week (my case number got current a month earlier compared to the previous years). Today I heard from a friend that extending I20 means I don't intend to stay in America and has contradiction with filing I-485 and so all such cases will be denied. Is is true??
They have not texted me so far I mean the package has not officially been accepted yet.
2) @Sm1smom answer: You did exactly the right thing. Extending your current status (and getting the approval) prior to filing is the right step to have taken. Tell your friend to stop talking and creating unnecessary fear over a process they do not understand.

Now comes my question
I am on F1 visa that will expire on my passport in July. My I 20 must be renewed every December. In the package I included all the I 20s except the one that I just renewed couple days ago, but I had the intention to bring it at the interview. Is this a problem?

Not a problem.

p.s. don’t just copy and paste when next you refer to a previous cost, quote or provide the link to the actual post(s) which makes it easier to check and see the context in which the post(s) you’re referencing happened.

Not a problem.

p.s. don’t just copy and paste when next you refer to a previous cost, quote or provide the link to the actual post(s) which makes it easier to check and see the context in which the post(s) you’re referencing happened.
Thank you very much for the response!
Yes, i will!

No need to update the DS260 form with your new address - the information was correct as at the time of the DS260 submission.

Thank you so much mom!

I have a couple more questions:

1.) I first came into the US as an exchange student under a J-1 visa. I can’t not find the physical copy of my I-20 record... I still have my old passport with my J-1 visa in it. Do you know if there is a way I can request a record of it? Or will they care if I do not have the documentation for my J-1 status?

2.) Do you need to bring a physical copy of your birth certificate? I believe I either lost the original or it is somewhere back in my home country... I do have a copy of it that I can submit for the AOS package but I am not sure if it is needed for the interview...

3.) It stats that my doctor for the medical exam should not sign the I-693 until within 60days of my AOS submission correct? I thought the medical exam is valid for 1 year?

Sorry for my long questions and once’s gain thank you for your time!

Thank you so much mom!

I have a couple more questions:

1.) I first came into the US as an exchange student under a J-1 visa. I can’t not find the physical copy of my I-20 record... I still have my old passport with my J-1 visa in it. Do you know if there is a way I can request a record of it? Or will they care if I do not have the documentation for my J-1 status?

2.) Do you need to bring a physical copy of your birth certificate? I believe I either lost the original or it is somewhere back in my home country... I do have a copy of it that I can submit for the AOS package but I am not sure if it is needed for the interview...

3.) It stats that my doctor for the medical exam should not sign the I-693 until within 60days of my AOS submission correct? I thought the medical exam is valid for 1 year?

Sorry for my long questions and once’s gain thank you for your time!

1. Why not contact the school’s DSO to see if they can issue you with a copy of what they have?

2. You’re required to attend your interview with the original of any document you send in with your AOS package. So get the birth certificate.

3. Medical exam is considered valid only if it is received by USCIS within 60 days of when the form was signed by the CS.

Hello,
I am an AOSer.
I am single and supporting myself.
How much is 125% of poverty level for one individual?

There’s no listing for applicable PGL for an individual. You however should be fine if you can demonstrate an ongoing income applicable to a two member household.

There’s no listing for applicable PGL for an individual. You however should be fine if you can demonstrate an ongoing income applicable to a two member household.
Thank you for your response.
I don't have anyone to fill I-134 for me. I am a student and my income is 10,000 before tax. Can I show cash value of assets in the form of a saving account? If so, how much cash value of assets do I need to show? On USCIS website it says: " You must prove the cash value of your assets is worth five times this difference (the amount left over)." I am not sure how much it is.

Thank you for your response.
I don't have anyone to fill I-134 for me. I am a student and my income is 10,000 before tax. Can I show cash value of assets in the form of a saving account? If so, how much cash value of assets do I need to show? On USCIS website it says: " You must prove the cash value of your assets is worth five times this difference (the amount left over)." I am not sure how much it is.

Cash value of assets is different from actual amount in a savings account, I think you’re mixing up both. If you have a substantial amount in your savings account, yes the IO may be willing to consider the savings account plus your current income in determining you’re unlike to become a public charge. You can forget about trying to use cash value of assets, the IO is unlikely to consider that - they will straight up tell you to go get an I-134 if you try to use that.

Cash value of assets is different from actual amount in a savings account, I think you’re mixing up both. If you have a substantial amount in your savings account, yes the IO may be willing to consider the savings account plus your current income in determining you’re unlike to become a public charge. You can forget about trying to use cash value of assets, the IO is unlikely to consider that - they will straight up tell you to go get an I-134 if you try to use that.
Yes, you're right. I mixed them up. I think I can provide up to $5,000 in my saving account. Is it enough for one individual to avoid needing a I-134 or I need to increase it up to $10,000 or something?

Yes, you're right. I mixed them up. I think I can provide up to $5,000 in my saving account. Is it enough for one individual to avoid needing a I-134 or I need to increase it up to $10,000 or something?

I don’t know, I can’t comment on the specific amount you’ll need to have in savings other than saying “a significant amount”. I don’t want anyone to start quoting me, (now or in the future) and saying I once said to someone this or that amount was/is okay - USCIS hasn’t listed a specific amount either.

Hi Mom, First of all thank you for this wonderful forums. I am on F1 opt status and dv2020 winner and i am planning to get the health insurance from marketplace which is ending tonight for 2020 so, as I fill the form online I Put my Annual income as i am doing job using my opt from 3 4 months. At last I get the premium tax credit and the rest i have to pay deducting the tax credit.
1)It fall under public charge If I used premium tax credit?
2) My CN will current after few months so it is safe to do AOS while using Premium tax credit for insurance?

Hi Mom, First of all thank you for this wonderful forums. I am on F1 opt status and dv2020 winner and i am planning to get the health insurance from marketplace which is ending tonight for 2020 so, as I fill the form online I Put my Annual income as i am doing job using my opt from 3 4 months. At last I get the premium tax credit and the rest i have to pay deducting the tax credit.
1)It fall under public charge If I used premium tax credit?
2) My CN will current after few months so it is safe to do AOS while using Premium tax credit for insurance?

I wouldn’t apply for the premium tax credit if I was in your shoes

I wouldn’t apply for the premium tax credit if I was in your shoes
So I also found out that they will adjust it from my tax return.
I already apply for that plan if i cancel right now and apply for new one without using premium tax credit. Will there be any problem?

So I also found out that they will adjust it from my tax return.
I already apply for that plan if i cancel right now and apply for new one without using premium tax credit. Will there be any problem?

Changing the plan almost immediately shouldn’t constitute a problem.

Hello, right now my case number is within the cut off range and it is going to be below the cut off number in the upcoming visa bulletin. I am thinking of sending the documents to USCIS within next 2 days when the new visa bulletin opens. So, do I still have to send the cover letter? Can I send the documents now or do I have to wait until the Jan. 1st to send the documents.? Thanks

Hello, right now my case number is within the cut off range and it is going to be below the cut off number in the upcoming visa bulletin. I am thinking of sending the documents to USCIS within next 2 days when the new visa bulletin opens. So, do I still have to send the cover letter? Can I send the documents now or do I have to wait until the Jan. 1st to send the documents.? Thanks

1. Adding a cover letter is a personal choice. You decide if you want to include it or not.
2a. You shouldn’t be sending your AOS package prior to the VB which shows when your CN becomes current - you risk your package being rejected by the Chicago lockbox or outrightly denied by your FO if you do so.
2b. You may wait until the actual month your CN becomes current before filing, or take advantage of early filing and send in AOS package one or two months - your call. However you need to be aware of the slight possibility of package rejection by the Chicago lockbox or AOS petition denial by your FO as a result of early filing - so again your call as to when to file based on what you now know.

p.s. number you’re questions if you have more than one in a post.

1. Adding a cover letter is a personal choice. You decide if you want to include it or not.
2a. You shouldn’t be sending your AOS package prior to the VB which shows when your CN becomes current - you risk your package being rejected by the Chicago lockbox or outrightly denied by your FO if you do so.
2b. You may wait until the actual month your CN becomes current before filing, or take advantage of early filing and send in AOS package one or two months - your call. However you need to be aware of the slight possibility of package rejection by the Chicago lockbox or AOS petition denial by your FO as a result of early filing - so again your call as to when to file based on what you now know.

p.s. number you’re questions if you have more than one in a post.

Hi Mom,
In this context, I have a question, so I did early filing by 10 days and I have my biometrics scheduled for 23rd of this month, my question is
1. are their chances on FO denying my petition due to early filing or I am past the rejection based on early filing since the Lockbox accepted my case and NBC sent me a biometrics appointment letter (I though once the case is accepted by lockbox we are good to go for risk of petition denial)
2. If worst-case scenario my petition gets denied by FO due to early filing can I file my AOS again?

Thank you for your suggestions.