• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2020 AOS Only

Thank you! Yes, the embassy helped us a lot... They were responsive and moved quickly with my wife's interview. Once I got my interview scheduled for September 17th, I immediately scheduled the medical examination appointment for my wife. At that point, my wife didn't have her interview date yet, so the Medical Center (the only one accredited in my home country) didn't want to schedule her examination (they said that there are "no exceptions"). So, when I was filling the online form, I just indicated that the date of my wife's interview is Sep 25th (a blind guess), and their system accepted it. During the appointment they only asked for confirmation of DS-260 which she had, and no interview letter needed. By the day I was approved (September 22), my wife had all the documents on hands. :)
Thank you for sharing! I think you did a great job being so proactive. I hope the rest will be a smooth ride so you are reunited with your wife soon!

Thank you for answering my stupid question quickly !

I see. Even I submitted I-765 and checked Yes on 14?
I called SSA office in the morning. They said All US office is temporary closed. They don’t know when is going to reopen.
So how should I do? I need it...

Thank you.

When we called our SSA, they told us they schedue appointments for people who haven't received any SSN but it takes time (up to 4 weeks to schedule an appointment). They also informed us that another way of doing it is by mailing the documents (including passport and GC) and they'll get it doen within 14 days.
We actually took the risk and mailed the documents, 1 week later someone from the office called us and gave us an appointment for Friday to go and get things done in-site.
I hope this helps!

Thanks for sharing. Can’t understand if this helps the ones adjusting the status or this will only work if applied abroad. We are out of luck with our case not being processed before Sep 30. Congratulations to all who got their cards and thanks for the support and help @Sm1smom and others!
Oh no that is sad news. But when I learned 1 thing from this messed up year and reading in this forum: Don´t give up! Maybe there is still hope?! So many things happened because people were proactive and fighting for their chance. You should try too!

You’ll have to apply for the SSN from your nearby SSA (Social Security Administrative) office, not the health department :)

Hi, a question about updating SSN
I already called IRS to update my info from ITIN to SSN.
Do I have to do anything with bank account and credit card after receiving my SSN?
(I opened credit card and bank account by using ITIN.)
Thank you!

When we called our SSA, they told us they schedue appointments for people who haven't received any SSN but it takes time (up to 4 weeks to schedule an appointment). They also informed us that another way of doing it is by mailing the documents (including passport and GC) and they'll get it doen within 14 days.
We actually took the risk and mailed the documents, 1 week later someone from the office called us and gave us an appointment for Friday to go and get things done in-site.
I hope this helps!
Thank you for shearing your information!

When I called SSA,
They said they don’t take any appointment right now. How could you explain “DIRE”???

you mailed copy of passport and GC right? They didn’t mention anything I can do it on mail..

Last edited:
Thank you for your information! When I called SSA,
They said they don’t take any appointment right now. you mailed copy of passport and GC right? They didn’t mention the way of you did...

When I called SSA,
They said they don’t take any appointment right now. How could you explain “DIRE”???

you mailed copy of passport and GC right? They didn’t mention anything I can do it on mail..

Then I think you have to be sure they accept it rather than sending the documents useless-ly. No, we sent SS-5 form, copy of Driver's liscence, copy of secondary identification(we sent a copy of health insurance cared), and the original passport and GC not copies of them.

Then I think you have to be sure they accept it rather than sending the documents useless-ly. No, we sent SS-5 form, copy of Driver's liscence, copy of secondary identification(we sent a copy of health insurance cared), and the original passport and GC not copies of them.

I called SSA again, this time they accepted to make appointment!
If you didn’t mention about your process, I was just going to wait until reopen. Thank you so much.

Hi, a question about updating SSN
I already called IRS to update my info from ITIN to SSN.
Do I have to do anything with bank account and credit card after receiving my SSN?
(I opened credit card and bank account by using ITIN.)
Thank you!

You don't "have" to, but my recommendation is to so.

About SSN, this is what I heard and what I did.
I used to be with an F1 OPT (Oh, man. such a good sound),
so I had to update my SS information in their system.

1) Called SS office call center
- All the SS office is basically closing.
- The procedure varies from each local office. Call your neighbor's office.

2) Called SS office North Seattle
- No appointment is available.
- Mail 1) SS-5 2) original Green card

3) Sent out these 2 things with certified mail.

About SSN, this is what I heard and what I did.
I used to be with an F1 OPT (Oh, man. such a good sound),
so I had to update my SS information in their system.

1) Called SS office call center
- All the SS office is basically closing.
- The procedure varies from each local office. Call your neighbor's office.

2) Called SS office North Seattle
- No appointment is available.
- Mail 1) SS-5 2) original Green card

3) Sent out these 2 things with certified mail.

4) Called them again to verify their receiving.
- It seems they cannot open the envelope for 2 days because of COVID.

Hello everyone, I have been studying this forum during the last months but, having no hope for success, was not brave enough to post anything myself.
Today, almost at the last day of FY, my online account finally changed to:
Case Was Approved
On September 29, 2020, we approved your Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, Receipt Number ...

and I feel an amazing relief and still can’t believe it’s not a dream.
Just in case if this might become helpful for someone in the future DV’s with the similar situation, I have entered CA end of 2018 with B1/B2 visa with no intention to stay, but later (Within next few months and before my permission of stay expired) had to apply for Asylum and was in Pending for Asylum up to now. In May 2019 I discovered that my DV 2020 application has been randomly selected. The European case number was pretty high (34xxx) and after reading all available information regarding my chances to adjust the status, I was almost sure I have none, but still decided to try and do everything from my side. The brief timeline is:
06/01/20-Case number becomes current
07/02/20-AOS package sent to Chicago lockbox
07/06/20-documents received
07/13/20-notice regarding biometrics reuse
08/13/20-IL mailed
09/11/20-interview took place at SJ FO
09/28/20-online status changed to “New card has been produced “
09/29/20-online status changed to “Case was approved”

I am so so grateful to all the wonderful people here who share their experience and to @Sm1smom and @Britsimon. Your activity and support are priceless. You share knowledge and give advices with such a patience! Thank you very much!
I am feeling absolutely happy today and can’t believe this stressful process has come to a happy end
Wow.. Congrats.. I think i am the unlucky one who doesn't get approved with the same asylum pending status.. Pretty unfair..

And I must said that i've tried almost everything to make my USCIS field office reconsider my case (congreswoman assistance, i sent a letter to my field office, i filed an appeal motion to reopen and reconsider my case, Senator assistance, i sent an expedite request to my appeal petition) and still nothing... the FY ended and basically y lost all my chances.. Totally unfair.. I'm still waiting a response about my appeal petition and maybe with the judge Mehta decision i can use one of those visas..

I can’t believe the FY is over already. Congratulations to all lucky winners! Hopefully the ones who didn’t have a chance to finish the process, can figure a way out with the extention if such scenario is possible.

I have a question to ask, and I assume maybe Mom will have an idea. So since I’m an LPR now, my school told me that the previous health insurance I held is not longer valid for me. It was a private insurance with really good coverage for about 2k a year but apparently only F-1’s can benefit from it. Now I’ve been stuck trying to find a new private insurance but prices are relatively higher for not even premium coverages. At the same time I know most of my friends who have become LPR’s through the Lottery and live here, have applied for Medicaid (or one of these) from the start. It is way more beneficial at least in my current situation to apply for a public health insurance, but is this going to affect my status as an LPR, or maybe cause a red flag of sort later on? I’m amazed how pricey a private health insurance can be here but I also would like to play it safe if applying for Medicaid would cause problems.

Thanks for your time

To those now applying for an SSN, I went through this, last week, and I'm not sure if your local office can do the same, but here was my experience:
  • When filing form SS-5 Application for a Social Security Card, you either need to bring it to an SSA office, with your supporting documents, or mail it in, with original supporting documents. Currently, SSA offices are closed for in-person visits, due to Covid.
  • When I called my local SSA office, to enquire about my options, whilst on hold, there was an automated message advising that in-person visits are available by appointment.
  • When I spoke to a representative, at first he advised that the only way to apply would be by sending in my physical documents (green card, birth certificate, passport), but I spent a great deal of time explaining to him how much time it would take to replace those documents, in the event they were to go missing, namely the green card (I believe the wait is 25 months, where I am!), and furthermore, without access to the green card, I would not have evidence of my immigration status, in this country; that my driver's licence from my home country was not valid in this US state, without my passport; and that due to uncertainty, it would obviously be unfeasible to hold out on getting a job, until covid was over.
  • The representative spoke to a senior representative, and organized a call back, which he said would be within 7 days.
  • I received a call back 2 days later (Wednesday), where another representative arranged an appointment for the following Monday.
  • I visited the SSA office at the scheduled time, with my SS-5, and original supporting documents, which the attending agent photocopied; answered some basic questions, and then exited, all within 5-10 minutes.
  • I was told the SS card should arrive in the next 2-3 weeks, but to allow up to one month.

I can’t believe the FY is over already. Congratulations to all lucky winners! Hopefully the ones who didn’t have a chance to finish the process, can figure a way out with the extention if such scenario is possible.

I have a question to ask, and I assume maybe Mom will have an idea. So since I’m an LPR now, my school told me that the previous health insurance I held is not longer valid for me. It was a private insurance with really good coverage for about 2k a year but apparently only F-1’s can benefit from it. Now I’ve been stuck trying to find a new private insurance but prices are relatively higher for not even premium coverages. At the same time I know most of my friends who have become LPR’s through the Lottery and live here, have applied for Medicaid (or one of these) from the start. It is way more beneficial at least in my current situation to apply for a public health insurance, but is this going to affect my status as an LPR, or maybe cause a red flag of sort later on? I’m amazed how pricey a private health insurance can be here but I also would like to play it safe if applying for Medicaid would cause problems.

Thanks for your time

Applying for Medicaid = utilizing public benefit which you’re not eligible to utilize = constituting a public charge regardless of if it could be a red flag later on for you or not.

You should know by now, I will never be a party or recommend violating any form of immigration law. Knowing several people who have done this doesn’t mean what they did was right. While going through the GC, these friends of yours, including yourself, were willing to go to great lengths to convince the IO or CO (if they did CP) they will not utilize any form of public benefit which they’re not eligible for, only to turn around and do just that upon becoming a LPR and at the slightest opportunity they had. Yes private medical insurance is pretty expensive in the US, but that is precisely why anyone applying to become a LPR is required to be able to demo they can successfully support themselves without resorting to public benefits not meant for them. So it is not a question of if doing so can become an issue or not later on IMO.

Thanks for your time
Are you sure it’s medicaid? Many people unfamiliar with the system seem to confuse marketplace insurance (Obamacare) with medicaid.

This is the main link for marketplace insurance. If you need for 2020 there is an option there too (as a new LPR your change in status should usually allow you to enrol outside the open enrollment period) https://www.healthcare.gov/

Are you sure it’s medicaid? Many people unfamiliar with the system seem to confuse marketplace insurance (Obamacare) with medicaid.

This is the main link for marketplace insurance. If you need for 2020 there is an option there too (as a new LPR your change in status should usually allow you to enroll outside the open enrollment period) https://www.healthcare.gov/

Thanks for the link. I'm pretty sure it's Medicaid. In California for example is Medi-Cal. It's all of these government insurance programs where people with low income qualify for, and essentially get it for free. But I will try to speak with different companies to see what would work best for me. To be honest, the cheap private insurances have very big deductibles so it doesn't make sense to apply for a cheaper alternative when I have to pay a couple of thousand dollars out of my pocket when I visit a doctor. I'm still in the process of learning more about it because there is a lot of information. But will stick to private insurance for now. Just trying to find the best alternative since I cannot use the one I already had from my school as an F-1 student, unfortunately.

Thanks for the responses! Appreciate you guys a lot!

Hello everyone, looks like this will be my last update for the timeline.
- oct 1st card was picked up by usps with the tracking number. (System updates)
- from the looks of it I'll receive the card and approval letter later afternoon.
I would like to thank everyone on this forum what a journey 2020 wish everyone all the best . Speacialy ppl who made this avaliable anyone I interacted with helping to gather info and organizers . Brisimon who referred me to here.
Cpl last questions 1- as you know about my other case the officer at the interview told me it will be automatically withdrawn when they find out you got approval for another case but it's not bad to send a request yourself. What you think and if so how to do it?
2-My other concern I have no valid passport and am still afraid to contact my embassy about a renewal but if I did since now I know I can stay here with ease will it affect my status here since I have/had a pending asylum case.
3- will it be possible to apply for travel document in my situation . If so before/after I withdraw my case.
Thanks again

Hello everyone,

Now that we have come to the end for DV 2020, I want to thank everyone who made this journey for me (and for many others) possible and helped us along the way. Special thanks to the Moderators. You guys rock :). I hope life gives you happiness and boundless possibilities as it unfolds. I am sad for people whose process was not completed for one reason or another. I urge you to see the bigger picture and not take this to your heart. I understand and know what a great opportunity DV is for any aspiring immigrant but I am sure in time life will present you with many more options. Congratulations to everyone who made it. All the best guys. Peace.

When I called SSA,

For first time SSN applicant they have to make an appointment. So ask the social security local office ask to talk to a supervisor.
DO NOT SENT YOUR GC by mail unless you confirm that you can't get an appointment.

I already have SSN, so I just need to get a new card to be reissued without the DHS restriction note. For that I need to send copies of my GC, Passport and SS-5 application. However, due to covid anyone who already has SSN are not in a rush to get the reissued SSN card.

My wife is applying for SSN first time, so the local SSA office actually made an appointment for her after talking to her over the phone. So they said she can take my original GC with her and other documents and submit it there and they will verify it and return the GC to her. Depends on the local office I guess.

Call your local SSA office if it is your first time applying for SSN. This is something they have to verify face-to-face so they will setup an appointment but it will be a long wait. My wife got appointment almost a month from now.