• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2020 AOS Only

Considering anyone submitting an I-131 is required to indicate if they’re applying for a re-entry permit or a travel document (and since the travel document is refugee based), OP selectees re-entry permit and then presents it as a travel document? I don’t think that is the intent behind applying for or being issued with a re-entry permit.
I quoted that entire paragraph verbatim from the uscis sheet on re-entry permits and it sure made it sound like it was an acceptable reason...

I quoted that entire paragraph verbatim from the uscis sheet on re-entry permits and it sure made it sound like it was an acceptable reason...

I know you did. But I do believe that paragraph is intended for when the form is applied for as a refugee travel document. The information is just not well documented on that sheet.

I know you did. But I do believe that paragraph is intended for when the form is applied for as a refugee travel document. The information is just not well documented on that sheet.

I’m going to respectfully disagree. The information on that sheet (which is titled “How do I get a re-entry permit?”) only deals with re-entry permits, and specifically references them in that paragraph for that usage. A few legal sites I’ve looked up have said the same thing.

I’m going to respectfully disagree. The information on that sheet (which is titled “How do I get a re-entry permit?”) only deals with re-entry permits, and specifically references them in that paragraph for that usage. A few legal sites I’ve looked up have said the same thing.

Right. We can respectfully agree to disagree on this.

Hello! I'm waiting on judge Mehta's final order regarding 9000 reserved DV. What would be more reliable strategy in case he rules in our favor, consular processing or AOS? What are estimated timeframes for DV AOS? Is there a way to expedite it? Thank you!

Hello! I'm waiting on judge Mehta's final order regarding 9000 reserved DV. What would be more reliable strategy in case he rules in our favor, consular processing or AOS? What are estimated timeframes for DV AOS? Is there a way to expedite it? Thank you!
AOS was never restricted under the ban so I’d think it highly unlikely it can benefit from the reserved visas. Anyone know for sure?

Are you currently in the US? If yes, when did you enter the US and in what status?

AOS was never restricted under the ban so I’d think it highly unlikely it can benefit from the reserved visas. Anyone know for sure?
How judge order defines the class:
"Individuals who have been selected to receive an immigrant visa
through the U.S. Department of State’s FY2020 Diversity Visa
Lottery and who had not received their immigrant visa on or before
April 23, 2020, when the Presidential Proclamation 10014, later
extended by Presidential Proclamation 10052, took effect."
So it seems to me that AOS applicants gotta be part of the class as well.

Are you currently in the US? If yes, when did you enter the US and in what status?
I'm currently not, but I was (in legal status) at the moment I won the lottery. I went back to Europe to get DV but as you see it didn't workout due to covid. I'm planning on getting back to US (legally) by the end of the year. But Im not confident whether AOS is a better way taking in account that visas are gonna be very limited so I'd need to get my asap.

Last edited:
If you want to be literal about it, AOs applicants do not get visas.

I'm currently not, but I was (in legal status) at the moment I won the lottery. I went back to Europe to get DV but as you see it didn't workout due to covid. I'm planning on getting back to US (legally) by the end of the year. But Im not confident whether AOS is a better way taking in account that visas are gonna be very limited so I'd need to get my asap.
What was your status before and on what status do you plan to “legally” get back in by the end of the year?

Technically speaking, DV based AOSers were not impacted by the two PPs, which to my understanding means the judge's ruling is not applicable to them either. AOSers were not suspended from entering the country because they were already in the US when the proclamation went into effect.

The question I asked was "what status", not whether you intend to enter the US legally or not.

Anyway, the fact that you're not currently residing in the US but are planning to enter the US on a NIV with a preconceived intent of filing AOS makes you ineligible even if the judge's ruling can be arguably said to be applicable to AOSers. Entering the US on a NIV with the preconceived AOS intent is considered a fraudulent misuse of that NIV.

The question I asked was "what status", not whether you intend to enter the US legally or not.

Anyway, the fact that you're not currently residing in the US but are planning to enter the US on a NIV with a preconceived intent of filing AOS makes you ineligible even if the judge's ruling can be arguably said to be applicable to AOSers. Entering the US on a NIV with the preconceived AOS intent is considered a fraudulent misuse of that NIV.
Well I can only hope they haven't taught CBP officers to read minds just yet. And yeah I know about 90day rule.
Still can anyone answer "What are estimated timeframes for DV AOS? Is there a way to expedite it?" ?

Well I can only hope they haven't taught CBP officers to read minds just yet. And yeah I know about 90day rule.
Still can anyone answer "What are estimated timeframes for DV AOS? Is there a way to expedite it?" ?
The answers are “how long is a piece of string? Read the AOS spreadsheet to see different FOs” and “No”.

The advice you don’t want to hear is that, 90 days or not, you’re heading for a denial. Do CP.

In that case you can go figure that and the rest of the process out on your own. This forum does not support people who try to circumvent or abuse the immigration process.

The answers are “how long is a piece of string? Read the AOS spreadsheet to see different FOs” and “No”.

The advice you don’t want to hear is that, 90 days or not, you’re heading for a denial. Do CP.
Oh thank you! Someone did a great job.
So I've got even more questions.
How serious is 90day rule violation? I'm planning on entering US before judges final order, so technically I can't have an immigration intent not having AoS options at the moment of entry.
How frequent is USCIS RFE on tax records?
When USCIS receives your i485 do they reserve a visa for your case or it's all gonna be up in the air till the interview? If the visas run out before the interview you kinda screwed right?

Oh thank you! Someone did a great job.
So I've got even more questions.
How serious is 90day rule violation? I'm planning on entering US before judges final order, so technically I can't have an immigration intent not having AoS options at the moment of entry.
How frequent is USCIS RFE on tax records?
When USCIS receives your i485 do they reserve a visa for your case or it's all gonna be up in the air till the interview? If the visas run out before the interview you kinda screwed right?
You’re not only trying to circumvent the law but actually throwing away a chance at a DV visa. And you expect help? Like giving the car keys to a drunk. Nah.

In that case you can go figure that and the rest of the process out on your own. This forum does not support people who try to circumvent or abuse the immigration process.
I'm planning on doing everything within the lawful boundaries. It's not in my interest to get caught and permanently banned from US. However you do understand that I'm not obliged to tell the CBP about some case pending that may be, maaay be is going to grant some immigration opportunities at some unknown point in the future. I'm going to US regardless of case outcome 'cause I have other business to do.

You’re not only trying to circumvent the law but actually throwing away a chance at a DV visa. And you expect help? Like giving the car keys to a drunk. Nah.
I'm just trying to figure out what you mean. You are saying that regardless of time between admission to US and filling i-485 USCIS is gonna consider my application immigration fraud? On what grounds? DV2020 is over and gone unless it gets reestablished by judge or the congress. I'm asking you legal questions not asking for moral judgements against myself.