• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2020 AOS Only

Hello everyone, I have been studying this forum during the last months but, having no hope for success, was not brave enough to post anything myself.
Today, almost at the last day of FY, my online account finally changed to:
Case Was Approved
On September 29, 2020, we approved your Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, Receipt Number ...

and I feel an amazing relief and still can’t believe it’s not a dream.
Just in case if this might become helpful for someone in the future DV’s with the similar situation, I have entered CA end of 2018 with B1/B2 visa with no intention to stay, but later (Within next few months and before my permission of stay expired) had to apply for Asylum and was in Pending for Asylum up to now. In May 2019 I discovered that my DV 2020 application has been randomly selected. The European case number was pretty high (34xxx) and after reading all available information regarding my chances to adjust the status, I was almost sure I have none, but still decided to try and do everything from my side. The brief timeline is:
06/01/20-Case number becomes current
07/02/20-AOS package sent to Chicago lockbox
07/06/20-documents received
07/13/20-notice regarding biometrics reuse
08/13/20-IL mailed
09/11/20-interview took place at SJ FO
09/28/20-online status changed to “New card has been produced “
09/29/20-online status changed to “Case was approved”

I am so so grateful to all the wonderful people here who share their experience and to @Sm1smom and @Britsimon. Your activity and support are priceless. You share knowledge and give advices with such a patience! Thank you very much!
I am feeling absolutely happy today and can’t believe this stressful process has come to a happy end

Another super lucky fella. Quite encouraging. Congratulations

Hi everyone,

It is almost 3 a.m. in Colorado and I just got a great news from my wife. Her visa was approved! Cannot believe! In January she will be here with me (hope Trump doesn't win!)... Now it is official the end of my journey with AOS and FTJ processes...

Thank you again @Sm1smom , @Britsimon , @SusieQQQ and all others that shared their experiences!!!

Great ending to a cliff hanger :). Congratulations

Hi everyone,

It is almost 3 a.m. in Colorado and I just got a great news from my wife. Her visa was approved! Cannot believe! In January she will be here with me (hope Trump doesn't win!)... Now it is official the end of my journey with AOS and FTJ processes...

Thank you again @Sm1smom , @Britsimon , @SusieQQQ and all others that shared their experiences!!!
Wow! That is a great experience. So the embassy moved very quickly to schedule an interview for your wife and get her approved? How did you handle her medical?

Congratulations!

Wow! That is a great experience. So the embassy moved very quickly to schedule an interview for your wife and get her approved? How did you handle her medical?

Congratulations!

Thank you! Yes, the embassy helped us a lot... They were responsive and moved quickly with my wife's interview. Once I got my interview scheduled for September 17th, I immediately scheduled the medical examination appointment for my wife. At that point, my wife didn't have her interview date yet, so the Medical Center (the only one accredited in my home country) didn't want to schedule her examination (they said that there are "no exceptions"). So, when I was filling the online form, I just indicated that the date of my wife's interview is Sep 25th (a blind guess), and their system accepted it. During the appointment they only asked for confirmation of DS-260 which she had, and no interview letter needed. By the day I was approved (September 22), my wife had all the documents on hands. :)

Hi @Sm1smom regarding my card re-send update: I called to USCIS and spoke to tier 2 officer and verified my address again. She was kind of surprised as in the same address my last card was mailed and how did not I receive it. She told she would create a request to re-send the card again and probably asked me to wait for 7-10 days. If not asked to call again to USCIS. I'm not sure when they are going to resend my card. I hope they update my egov status once they re-mail the card.

Congratulations! Very happy for you!
You probably the only one in the thread who got approved with asylum pending and this is very encouraging.
Could you please, share a little bit about your interview?

Thank you, Danil!
I guess I'm not the only one but chances were not very high indeed.
The interview was very easy going and fast. Somehow it took quite a long time for the IL to be delivered by mail and just 2 days before it took place which allowed me to avoid an extra stress preparing for it :)
I came as it was advised about 15 min earlier (San Jose FO). No line at all and waiting time inside was just about 5 min.
Our officer was extremely polite, friendly and nice lady. She made a really nice atmosphere and even has been chatting a bit with my daughter about difficulties of online studies. She took a look at my international passport, SSN, CA ID, EAD. She asked about all US visas and prior visits. Then we went through all "yes-and-no" questions, she said that she also saw my i-944 and it's not required but she took a look and finds it ok. I had an affidavit of support from a US friend of mine, but that was not requested, so I did not even show it. I was ready also to answer questions related to my asylum case and again she did not ask anything. It took us overall about half an hour or 40 min.
I guess that was a great luck. Also quite a lot of paper work and stress :) but the result worth it all. My package of supporting documents was quite big due to the educational background and working experience. Also I'm not quite sure, but perhaps my membership and contribution as a volunteer in non-profit foundations could play some role but hard to say. She asked some questions about them and my role there. I was trying just to give simple true answers with no initiative of providing extra information myself, which is sometimes an issue for me)))
At the end she said that it might take her a while to approve our case with her supervisor, but we might expect our cards within 3 weeks approximately if the case would be approved. She new about the FY deadline and recommended to check the egov online status for any updates. And almost 2,5 weeks that status was not changing, showing the July update about fingerprints taken, which at some point made me desperate...so when on 28th of Sept. I saw a change to the new Card is being produced, my heart has almost stopped))))
I'd like to wish the same good luck to everyone with the AOS process! And again a lot of thanks to everyone who support new applicants here!

Congratulations to all of you!

And today I got my green card too!

The long, long journey is over. I still can't believe it.
I really want to thank everyone on this forum for support.

I have one last stupid question.
I don't have a social security number, do I have to go to the health department to get one myself?
Or will it be sent to later...?

Congratulations to all of you!

And today I got my green card too!

The long, long journey is over. I still can't believe it.
I really want to thank everyone on this forum for support.

I have one last stupid question.
I don't have a social security number, do I have to go to the health department to get one myself?
Or will it be sent to later...?

You’ll have to apply for the SSN from your nearby SSA (Social Security Administrative) office, not the health department :)

Judge issued the order for DV2020 law suit.
You can check Curtis Morrison’s Twitter page, Facebook or homepage.

Thanks for sharing. Can’t understand if this helps the ones adjusting the status or this will only work if applied abroad. We are out of luck with our case not being processed before Sep 30. Congratulations to all who got their cards and thanks for the support and help @Sm1smom and others!

Thanks for sharing. Can’t understand if this helps the ones adjusting the status or this will only work if applied abroad. We are out of luck with our case not being processed before Sep 30. Congratulations to all who got their cards and thanks for the support and help @Sm1smom and others!

Oh no! I'm so sorry to learn your case didn't get finalized before the end of the FY:(:confused: so sorry. Indeed, right now we don't know if any of those set aside visas will be applicable to AOSers considering they were never impacted by Trump's EO in the first place. I wouldn't hold my breath on that, but who knows?

You’ll have to apply for the SSN from your nearby SSA (Social Security Administrative) office, not the health department :)
Thank you for answering my stupid question quickly !

I see. Even I submitted I-765 and checked Yes on 14?
I called SSA office in the morning. They said All US office is temporary closed. They don’t know when is going to reopen.
So how should I do? I need it...

Thank you.

Oh I’m so sorry to hear that. That’s heart breaking...
I pray for you and all other waiting people.