• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2020 AOS Only

You do realize traveling while the case is still pending (even if the interview has been concluded) will lead to your AOS being considered abandoned? Unless of course your already have an approved AP card or your case is approved immediately after the interview?
My interview is on sep 28th and I plan to travel on October 1st. I assume by that date if my case is not approved it will be rejected based on the deadline anyway?

@Sm1smom ,

Considering that my interview was recently (Sep 17) and we have only 1 week and 3 days left, do you think it makes sense to initiate Obudsman Case request?

Here is the latest rosters of last minute group.
If somebody wants to add to the roster, please let me know.

Group 1; Bio and Interview completed. Awaiting approval

DET Bio on 8/4, int on 9/4
PIT Bio waived, int on 9/3
DEN Bio on 8/18, int on 9/17
MWK Bio on 8/11, int on 9/15
ALB Bio on 8/13, int on 9/18
SJC Bio on 8/19, Int on 9/28(Scheduled)

Group 2; bio completed and awaiting IL

BOS bio on 8/3
LAX. Bio on 8/19

Group 3; waiting for bio and IL.

SAC bio and INT scheduled on 9/22
HOU bio and INT TBD

hey guys,Ive read the spread sheet and other topics about form ds 260.so far I know,theres no need to hurry,but in their instructions its says to fill out as soon as possible. But I just want to double check:
1.Im in US,planning try to AOS( I know might not possible,but still) submitting a form ds 260 with out delay wouldnt hurt?
my case number is 2020eu8***.
2. in ds 260 form under the immigration violations: "Have you ever been unlawfully present, overstayed the amount of time granted by an immigration official or otherwise violated the terms of a U.S. visa?" Im answering "YES" and it says "explain"
I'll just need to put in basic explanation,right? like," yes,I overstayed my visa" and then upon interview( if) give a detailed information?
3. and what are the chances, they will not accept this form because of positive answer to this question or they will still accept the form and then upon the interview decision would be made?
I know, its important form,but how formal is the form?not sure if it makes sense.

Shere your experiance please. I have a similar situation, but i was selected DV 2021

Your case does not qualify for an Ombudsman case follow up IMO.
In this case I will just wait and pray.

I was thinking to use the second letter I got for interview (Tuesday, Sept. 22), and say that I want to talk to a supervisor to clarify that. Meanwhile I will try to give the print from their website about early filling, and ask to take it to the IO as she was looking for this rule during my interview. I don't know if that would work or piss her off. Not sure what to do. Any advice would be much appreciated...

In this case I will just wait and pray.

I was thinking to use the second letter I got for interview (Tuesday, Sept. 22), and say that I want to talk to a supervisor to clarify that. Meanwhile I will try to give the print from their website about early filling, and ask to take it to the IO as she was looking for this rule during my interview. I don't know if that would work or piss her off. Not sure what to do. Any advice would be much appreciated...

If you want to try a walk-in to see if they will admit you and let you speak with a supervisor, you can do that. One thing you shouldn’t be doing is telling a lie at the entrance by presenting the IL only to ask to speak with a supervisor once they admit you. Don’t do that! You’ve already had your interview, that 2NL is no longer valid. Don’t try to play smart out of desperation.

If you want to try a walk-in to see if they will admit you and let you speak with a supervisor, you can do that. One thing you shouldn’t be doing is telling a lie at the entrance by presenting the IL only to ask to speak with a supervisor once they admit you. Don’t do that! You’ve already had your interview, that 2NL is no longer valid. Don’t try to play smart out of desperation.
Yes, that I was afraid of. Ok, will try to be patient and see what happens. Thank you again!

There's still roughly 1 and a half weeks left till the end of the FY (plenty of time IMO), so why will you be loosing hope??? I understand reading about other people's good news can get to someone who like you who is still waiting, but I don't think that is enough reason to start loosing hope at this point. What if you haven't had the interview or bio like @Ahmedaboesawy2020 who is waiting until next week to do either of those and is still very much positive? So hang in there!

Says who your background check hasn't been triggered? The IO is not the one that conducts the background check, her saying "she did not check our background check yet" simply means she hadn't checked (as at the time of your interview) to see if it had cleared or not. Background check gets triggered the instant the bio gets completed. Doing the bio at a ASC, different from the FO, is the normal process. Clearing the background check process differs from person A to person B like you already know, so yours may be undergoing some additional checks based on whatever the initial check turned up.

Tier 2 rep not seeing anything in the system regarding the completed interview doesn't mean anything, they will not see anything if the IO hasn't updated the system. Yes you can initiate a congressional inquiry and wait to see the response .

Thank you Mom for being so supportive with me, I contacted my congressman Friday afternoon who immediately sent an inquiry to my FO. Let's see if it helps... at least I will learn the reason why it is stuck since 2 weeks may be...
I'll keep you posted of course.

Hi guys quick question - can I use any of the USA visa (I have l1) to enter USA after my green card is approved?

No. Even if you can, once you are a LPR, you should never present yourself for admission at the POE as a non-immigrant because that is what entering the US with NIV is. That will be a misrepresentation.

Hi guys quick question - can I use any of the USA visa (I have l1) to enter USA after my green card is approved?

1. even assuming cbp let you do that, which I’m not convinced of (remember they have your biometrics on file), that would mean you would be admitted into I status and have to maintain the conditions of that status - that is, not able to take advantage of being a LPR. Also likely to cause problems in future, particularly should you reach the point of wanting to naturalize, when all entries/exits since becoming a LPR will be examined in detail.

2. More to the direct point, it would seem to be in contravention of INA 212(a)(7) according to the DoS manual https://fam.state.gov/fam/09FAM/09FAM020202.html

To satisfy INA 212(a)(7) documentary requirements, a Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) of the United States is generally required to present a valid, unexpired Form I-551, Permanent Resident Card (also known as a “green card”), when seeking admission into the United States. See 9 FAM 202.2-7(A) for additional details on LPR travel with a Form I-551.
LPRs may also travel with a valid ADIT stamp (see 9 FAM 202.2-7(B)), a boarding foil (see 9 FAM 202.2-7(C)), a Reentry Permit, a Refugee Travel Document or a Returning Resident visa (SB-1) (see 9 FAM 202.2-7(E)). LPRs may also request admission based on a DHS waiver of documentary requirements (see 9 FAM 202.2-7(F)).

You just finished the interview this morning, right? Yes your IO said 10 to 15 minutes, but nothing has happened a couple of hours later, just be patient.

1. Supervisory review/approval may be required for cases where the IO is new to the process.
2. There you go! Here's precisely why the 10-15 minutes claim of the IO hasn't resulted in an approval - the IO cannot finalize the approval process/update the system without the KCC file.
3. I have no way of knowing if there's some other administrative issues surrounding your case.

Just be patient. There's still enough time and visas left before the end of the FY.
Mom,
thanks for your valuable opinion every time.
I have not seen any status update, although IO told me he would approve our cases in 10-15 minutes at Friday morning interview.
Most likely, he noticed he could not approve it without KCC case file, I think.

My question is

Q1. Does IO know what to do when he cannot approve i-485 without KCC file? He will learn or know the need of my case file from KCC for adjudication? My IO is an experienced FO.

When I spoke to KCC, very helpful KCC agent explained to me the procedure for Case file transfer. “USCIS FO sends internal email to KCC for case transfer request. FO refers to applicant’s name and case number etc. FO knows such internal email address.” Since my FO is not dealing with DV basis. AOS, this kind of instruction is helpful for them or not.
Thanks again!

Last edited:
Mom,
thanks for your valuable opinion every time.
I have not seen any status update, although IO told me he would approve our cases in 10-15 minutes at Friday morning interview.
Most likely, he noticed he could not approve it without KCC case file, I think.

My question is

Q1. Does IO know what to do when he cannot approve i-485 without KCC file? He will learn or know the need of my case file from KCC for adjudication? My IO is an experienced FO.

When I spoke to KCC, very helpful KCC agent explained to me the procedure for Case file transfer. “USCIS FO sends internal email to KCC for case transfer request. FO refers to applicant’s name and case number etc. FO knows such internal email address.” Since my FO is not dealing with DV basis. AOS, this kind of instruction is helpful for them or not.
Thanks again!

You do realize Saturdays and Sundays are non working days for USCIS, right? You seem hung up on the 10-15 minutes deadline even after we’ve discussed why that clearly couldn’t happen. Stressing needlessly over something you have absolutely no control over isn’t going to get you what you’re looking for. Just saying! Bottom line? Your IO will figure out what needs to be done in order to complete your case.

You do realize Saturdays and Sundays are non working days for USCIS, right? You seem hung up on the 10-15 minutes deadline even after we’ve discussed why that clearly couldn’t happen. Stressing needlessly over something you have absolutely no control over isn’t going to get you what you’re looking for. Just saying! Bottom line? Your IO will figure out what needs to be done in order to complete your case.
Thanks moms!
I will enjoy watching football games!