• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2020 AOS Only

Question re: eligibility for AOS based on being out of status
- I am currently on TPS and have been since September 12 2016.
- My F1 status expired on May 24 2016.
- I had however applied for TPS on May 2 2016.

So from May 24-Sept 12, I did not have any status as my TPS application was pending. I know that this 3.5 months is not counted towards unlawful presence. I am not sure about whether I was out of status for that 3.5 months. I have read conflicting/unclear information regarding this.

Question:
1. Will I be considered to have been out of status for the 3.5 months?
2. If yes, will that period being less than 180 days be of any significance re: eligibility of AOS?

Was your TPS petition formally accepted by USCIS before your F1 status expired on May 24th? If your TPS NOA was issued by USCIS before May 24th, then you were not out of status between May 24th and September 12th.

If NOA was issued after May 24th, you’re considered out of status from May 24th to whatever date the NOA was issued, which will make you ineligible for AOS.

Was your TPS petition formally accepted by USCIS before your F1 status expired on May 24th? If your TPS NOA was issued by USCIS before May 24th, then you were not out of status between May 24th and September 12th.

If NOA was issued after May 24th, you’re considered out of status from May 24th to whatever date the NOA was issued, which will make you ineligible for AOS.

Thanks @Sm1smom. This is a big relief. Yes, the TPS petition was formally accepted by USCIS before my F1 status expired.

Sorry a very technical question. Hopefully this will be helpful for others too.

How specific do you have to be in listing the addresses in DS260?

I was in college for 4 years and I spent the summers/winters interning outside the college. Do I need to list all the places where I spent >5-10 weeks? If yes, then the listing of addresses become quite tedious as the system doesn't allow you to add an address for the entire period of 4 years and then add in summer address that overlap with this.

Eg. 1. this is not allowed:
Jun 2015-Aug 2015 Place C
Jun 2014-Aug 2014 Place B
Jun 2013-Aug 2013 Place A
Sep 2012-May 2016 College

2. But has to be broken down as below:
Sep 2015-May 2016 College
Sep 2014-May 2015 College
Sep 2013-May 2014 College
Sep 2012-May 2013 College

Adding winter internships of 4-5 weeks will add 6 more entires to #2.

Thanks

Sorry a very technical question. Hopefully this will be helpful for others too.

How specific do you have to be in listing the addresses in DS260?

I was in college for 4 years and I spent the summers/winters interning outside the college. Do I need to list all the places where I spent >5-10 weeks? If yes, then the listing of addresses become quite tedious as the system doesn't allow you to add an address for the entire period of 4 years and then add in summer address that overlap with this.

Eg. 1. this is not allowed:
Sep 2012-May 2016 College

2. But has to be broken down as below:
Sep 2015-May 2016 College
Sep 2014-May 2015 College
Sep 2013-May 2014 College
Sep 2012-May 2013 College

Adding winter internships of 4-5 weeks will add 6 more entires to #2.

Thanks

Please use your discretion.

Confirming qualifications:
1. What are the documents that is required to show qualifying work experience? Is the job being designated as "Job Zone 4 or 5, and classified in a Specific Vocational Preparation (SVP) rating of 7.0 or higher" in onetonline enough"? Or do you also require official letter from the company confirming the title and the responsibilities?
2. If I meet both the educational and qualifying work experience, is it better to just stick to educational requirement i.e. not disclose that the you meet the qualifying work experience (by choosing not to select requires 2 years of training)? Given that the evidence educational requirement is objective while evaluating the work requirement can be comparatively more subjective. Or does it not matter? As long as I met one of the requirements, the other requirement is ignored.
Thanks

Confirming qualifications:
1. What are the documents that is required to show qualifying work experience? Is the job being designated as "Job Zone 4 or 5, and classified in a Specific Vocational Preparation (SVP) rating of 7.0 or higher" in onetonline enough"? Or do you also require official letter from the company confirming the title and the responsibilities?
2. If I meet both the educational and qualifying work experience, is it better to just stick to educational requirement i.e. not disclose that the you meet the qualifying work experience (by choosing not to select requires 2 years of training)? Given that the evidence educational requirement is objective while evaluating the work requirement can be comparatively more subjective. Or does it not matter? As long as I met one of the requirements, the other requirement is ignored.
Thanks
If you meet the requirements on education you do not need to show work experience.

Work experience is subjective and up to the CO who interviews you to decide if you have provided enough information to satisfy him/her that you meet. It is not enough to simply state you have a job that is zone 4 or 5, you need to prove it by any means necessary - your resume, letters of offer, letters from your employer, certificates of training obtained, anything that you can think of that may assist you in proving that you meet it.

Thanks @Aidyn

Are we required to disclose our social media accounts in DS260? What are the consequences (if any) of not disclosing? What are the downsides of being forthright and listing all the accounts?

Thanks @Aidyn

Are we required to disclose our social media accounts in DS260? What are the consequences (if any) of not disclosing? What are the downsides of being forthright and listing all the accounts?

You’re required to answer ALL the questions on the DS260 form as applicable to you. If your DS260 is showing sections with social media handles, you are expected to provide them. Do you have something to hide?

Choosing to not answer or not being forthright is considered withholding of pertinent information required to adjudicate your petition - it has grave consequences such as a denial of the petition. It can also lead to a revocation of your GC if the material information is discovered after the GC has been approved.

You’re required to answer ALL the questions on the DS260 form as applicable to you. If your DS260 is showing sections with social media handles, you are expected to provide them. Do you have something to hide?

Choosing to not answer or not being forthright is considered withholding of pertinent information required to adjudicate your petition - it has grave consequences such as a denial of the petition. It can also lead to a revocation of your GC if the material information is discovered after the GC has been approved.

Thanks @Sm1smom
Nothing in particular to hide... Just that they are asking for accouts for all platforms including reddit (where users are anonymous). Thanks, I'll use my discretion on which accounts to disclose.

Hi @Sm1smom,
I have a quick question since I finally have received a stamped receipt for my DV fee payment (via mail) and 2NL via email while my DS260 form is open but incomplete, do you think I should let the form be as it is since I have received the 2NL already or should I finish the open DS260 from although as of now it might not be needed, but could help for my background check or maybe I could be asked why did I leave the form incomplete, like living a space for doubt during my interview?

Thank you.

Hi Mom, I received email from KCC with the requirment to further submit my documents. The Police certificate is one of them. Do you have any suggestions on where could I get this certificate? I am international student doing AOS.

Thanks @Sm1smom
Nothing in particular to hide... Just that they are asking for accouts for all platforms including reddit (where users are anonymous). Thanks, I'll use my discretion on which accounts to disclose.

You will use your discretion on which accounts to disclose, as against disclosing ALL the applicable social handles you use? Well, good luck with that decision.

Hi @Sm1smom,
I have a quick question since I finally have received a stamped receipt for my DV fee payment (via mail) and 2NL via email while my DS260 form is open but incomplete, do you think I should let the form be as it is since I have received the 2NL already or should I finish the open DS260 from although as of now it might not be needed, but could help for my background check or maybe I could be asked why did I leave the form incomplete, like living a space for doubt during my interview?

Thank you.

You should complete and submit the DS260 form since you’ve already started filing it.

Hi Mom, I received email from KCC with the requirment to further submit my documents. The Police certificate is one of them. Do you have any suggestions on where could I get this certificate? I am international student doing AOS.

Did you submit your DS260 to let KCC know you’re processing AOS? I’ve not heard of any other AOSer reporting they’ve received the document submission email from KCC. KCC does not process documents for AOSers.

Did you submit your DS260 to let KCC know you’re processing AOS? I’ve not heard of any other AOSer reporting they’ve received the document submission email from KCC. KCC does not process documents for AOSers.
I submitted the DS-260 and have the copy of it, but didn`t receive the submission email. KCC is asking me to submit the required documents along with DS-260. Very confusing.

I submitted the DS-260 and have the copy of it, but didn`t receive the submission email. KCC is asking me to submit the required documents along with DS-260. Very confusing.

Is it possible you simply filled out the DS260 form without hitting the submit button. Did you select AOS or you selected a country specific embassy for processing? Are you able to edit the form (make changes) right now?

Is it possible you simply filled out the DS260 form without hitting the submit button. Did you select AOS or you selected a country specific embassy for processing? Are you able to edit the form (make changes) right now?

I received the email too yet I’m doing AOS