• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2020 AOS Only

After deep searching in my case
I should have gotten accepted for case expedite as
USCIS made a big mistake with my case ( uscis error )
My case is base on diversity visa program but someone in uscis turned it into family base
That is why I got RFE and I spoke with tier 2 who said I see on the system your case is base on family base I said NO and I explained this to him. He said reply to RFE in mail
I did and my case was changed to DV base
When I got the call from immigration officer and I tried to explain to her my situation
She was in such a hurry she was not friendly at all
She didn’t listen carefully to me
I think I have the right to get accepted for case expedite as my case fall under USCUD error
I want to call on Monday and ask for case escalation or file complain against this officer regarding case expedite
I am married to US citizen and either way I am going to get my GC, I am tired of waiting and my case kept pushing back
What do you advise me to do ?

Here’s my interview experience. Sorry it’s long but I find all these details helpful.
(I was called ahead about my interview and then the letter arrived a week before)
Thursday 20th, I got to the USCIS at Federal Plaza NYC about 8.30am. I entered building when security guard called for 9.15 appointments. Security was a breeze (phones are allowed). At the room the guard told me to come back 15 mins before the appointment, in about 9 or 10 mins. That I should go back downstairs and through security again. I’d basically do a loop and be right back! He pointed me to the restrooms and I just took my sweet time. Haha.

I saw a lady at the window to have a photo and fingerprints of my index fingers, not the bio just confirming identity I guess. Then sat in waiting room until 10.05. Just one couple I front of me went straight in. And then another couple came and waited.

I was nervous but after waiting I was a little better. The officer was a lovely young guy, he apologised for the wait and said they were very busy. The office was a ghost town. He also mentioned they were working from home and adjusting to getting back to the office.

I went into his office. Took the oath and sat down. There was a plexiglass screen between us. And hand sanitiser.

He asked to see the original copies of birth certificate, passport/visa, marriage certificate, and the documentation to show that I had filed for divorce. He asked to keep the copy of that. I gave him my latest tax documents.

We went through the main ID details of the I-485. Name, DOB, address. He corrected a spelling mistake in my mother’s name. It got a little more serious when I pointed out that I had lost my job.

He was kind about it, saying he was sorry to hear that. He noted down the date.

Then he asked me if I was on unemployment. I said yes and he asked if I included pay stubs for that. I hadn’t! I didn’t even think about it. I was so busy worrying whether I was allowed to be on unemployment that I didn’t think to use it as an income. I got kind of nervous.

I gave him updated bank statements. I tried to ask him about the public charge ruling. He wouldn’t say that it wasn’t relevant. He just said that all information will help my case. So I offered the I-134. He jumped at it. (Note. The instructions on the I-134 don’t say to include tax returns, but the interview letter does).

I was reluctant to give it to him but he was seeming concerned. I pushed a little on it and he said that he would take it all into consideration and that maybe the latest public charge ruling would effect it, also mentioning “a change in administration”, saying there was a lot of change right now....”so we’ll see”. He also said that my friend may need to fill out an I-864. I questioned that and said that I didn’t think it was relevant to DV. He admitted that he is new to the DV process and that they would contact me by letter if anything else was required to help my case. I think the financial discussion was a sign he was new to it and didn’t feel like he could just say it didn’t matter.

Then we went through the rest of the form. All the yes/no questions. Which he told me would be laborsome but we could do it. Ha. He was quite cheerful and we did have quite a few laughs throughout the interview. I signed the I485. He said we wouldn’t do the I-944. I asked if he wanted to see my education, trying to emphasise that I can get a job once I am documented. He said he’d seen it in the file and all would be considered.

He told me that he was aware of the deadline of Sept 30, that I would definitely have an answer by then. I asked if I can work when/if I get the letter or have to wait for the card. He said “with the letter you *should* be fine, but an employer might want to see the card”.

I asked about the background check. He looked confused about my wording, when I said “fingerprints” he said that there were no flags and all looked good. He told me not to be too stressed, that he wouldn’t promise it’s assured but he didn’t see any major concerns. He said that if I had further questions I should consult a lawyer. I actually laughed! I told him that most lawyers I’ve spoke to don’t understand the process.

Then we were done. He walked me out of the office and I waved at the security guard as I went back to the bathroom.

All up about 30 mins for the actual interview. I went home feeling very worried that I hadn’t brought enough financial information and nervous it might not happen. At 3.30pm I got an email notification (but not sms) that my case had been updated “new card is being processed”!!!! (Exactly 24 hrs later I got the case approved notice).

I was blown away. I didn’t expect to hear so quickly. I can’t believe it. With the timing of losing my job just as I went to AOS, the office closures, the confusion over unemployment, the divorce, the trump ruling, it all feels like a miracle that I got here at all. Especially when lawyers kept giving me different answers. I’m so thankful for all the hard work USCIS are doing to make this happen in time. And especially thankful that we can do such a complicated process without a lawyer thanks to @Sm1smom, the spreadsheet and this forum. Thanks for answering all my very stressed and random questions.

I have one more :rolleyes: is there anyway to know if they used my friend’s i-134? I’d like to know for his sake.
Good luck everyone!

Here’s my interview experience. Sorry it’s long but I find all these details helpful.
(I was called ahead about my interview and then the letter arrived a week before)
Thursday 20th, I got to the USCIS at Federal Plaza NYC about 8.30am. I entered building when security guard called for 9.15 appointments. Security was a breeze (phones are allowed). At the room the guard told me to come back 15 mins before the appointment, in about 9 or 10 mins. That I should go back downstairs and through security again. I’d basically do a loop and be right back! He pointed me to the restrooms and I just took my sweet time. Haha.

I saw a lady at the window to have a photo and fingerprints of my index fingers, not the bio just confirming identity I guess. Then sat in waiting room until 10.05. Just one couple I front of me went straight in. And then another couple came and waited.

I was nervous but after waiting I was a little better. The officer was a lovely young guy, he apologised for the wait and said they were very busy. The office was a ghost town. He also mentioned they were working from home and adjusting to getting back to the office.

I went into his office. Took the oath and sat down. There was a plexiglass screen between us. And hand sanitiser.

He asked to see the original copies of birth certificate, passport/visa, marriage certificate, and the documentation to show that I had filed for divorce. He asked to keep the copy of that. I gave him my latest tax documents.

We went through the main ID details of the I-485. Name, DOB, address. He corrected a spelling mistake in my mother’s name. It got a little more serious when I pointed out that I had lost my job.

Then he asked me if I was on unemployment. I said yes and he asked if I included pay stubs for that. I hadn’t! I didn’t even think about it. I was so busy worrying whether I was allowed to be on unemployment that I didn’t think to use it as an income. I got kind of nervous.

I gave him updated bank statements. I tried to ask him about the public charge ruling. He wouldn’t say that it wasn’t relevant. He just said that all information will help my case. So I offered the I-134. He jumped at it. (Note. The instructions on the I-134 don’t say to include tax returns, but the interview letter does).

I was reluctant to give it to him but he was seeming concerned. I pushed a little on it and he said that he would take it all into consideration and that maybe the latest public charge ruling would effect it, also mentioning “a change in administration”, saying there was a lot of change right now....”so we’ll see”. He also said that my friend may need to fill out an I-864. I questioned that and said that I didn’t think it was relevant to DV. He admitted that he is new to the DV process and that they would contact me by letter if anything else was required to help my case. I think the financial discussion was a sign he was new to it and didn’t feel like he could just say it didn’t matter.

Then we went through the rest of the form. All the yes/no questions. Which he told me would be laborsome but we could do it. Ha. He was quite cheerful and we did have quite a few laughs throughout the interview. I signed the I485. He said we wouldn’t do the I-944. I asked if he wanted to see my education, trying to emphasise that I can get a job once I am documented. He said he’d seen it in the file and all would be considered.

He told me that he was aware of the deadline of Sept 30, that I would definitely have an answer by then. I asked if I can work when/if I get the letter or have to wait for the card. He said “with the letter you *should* be fine, but an employer might want to see the card”.

I asked about the background check. He looked confused about my wording, when I said “fingerprints” he said that there were no flags and all looked good. He told me not to be too stressed, that he wouldn’t promise it’s assured but he didn’t see any major concerns. He said that if I had further questions I should consult a lawyer. I actually laughed! I told him that most lawyers I’ve spoke to don’t understand the process.

Then we were done. He walked me out of the office and I waved at the security guard as I went back to the bathroom.

All up about 30 mins for the actual interview. I went home feeling very worried that I hadn’t brought enough financial information and nervous it might not happen. At 3.30pm I got an email notification (but not sms) that my case had been updated “new card is being processed”!!!! (Exactly 24 hrs later I got the case approved notice).

I was blown away. I didn’t expect to hear so quickly. I can’t believe it. With the timing of losing my job just as I went to AOS, the office closures, the confusion over unemployment, the divorce, the trump ruling, it all feels like a miracle that I got here at all. Especially when lawyers kept giving me different answers. I’m so thankful for all the hard work USCIS are doing to make this happen in time. And especially thankful that we can do such a complicated process without a lawyer thanks to @Sm1smom, the spreadsheet and this forum. Thanks for answering all my very stressed and random questions.

I have one more :rolleyes: is there anyway to know if they used my friend’s i-134? I’d like to know for his sake.
Good luck everyone!
Congressional with your new status. And thank you for sharing your experience. It's incredible story, indeed!

Good luck everyone!

Congratulations and all the best going forward.

The I-134 was collected and included with the rest of your file, so consider it “used”.

Good luck everyone!
Congrats!! As far as the I-134 I'm sure the officer "used" it in making his decision but as far as I am aware there is no legal binding for your friend when that form is used for DV. Mom and Susie can correct me on this if I'm wrong

Congrats!! As far as the I-134 I'm sure the officer "used" it in making his decision but as far as I am aware there is no legal binding for your friend when that form is used for DV. Mom and Susie can correct me on this if I'm wrong
Nothing legally binding, but should the friend sign another affidavit for someone else he will need to disclose that he is already ”supporting” one other person.

My interview went very smooth and well. My IO was very nice and friendly, he didn’t ask any particular questions beside those yes/no questions in I-485. First he asked me the evidence of financial support and I gave him I-134 affidavit of support that my cousin who is American citizen signed for me then he asked me if I have any updated documents to give him. So I gave him my new passport and driver license then I-20 ( I almost forgot to give him tho haha) and I gave him all required documents that mentioned in the interview letter. He didn’t ask to see anything else only original passport with visa of arrival.

At the end he printed out a paper for me he said to show that I had been in the interview, in the paper said my application was be held for review but he said no need to panic because he was approving my application and stamping “approved” on my application in front of me!

Then he told me about what gonna happen and at the end I told him that I really appreciated him for working so hard I said I understood that it was hard in this time but thank you for let me be here today.

Three hours later I check from USCIS website and it said “ New Card Is Being Produced” !!!!!

Thank you guys for everything sharing here and I wanna cheer up other selectees who are in process, keep your faith up and everything will turn to the way you imagine. I always see that sentence before I get interview finally my imagination came true !

Congratulations!!!

After deep searching in my case
I should have gotten accepted for case expedite as
USCIS made a big mistake with my case ( uscis error )
My case is base on diversity visa program but someone in uscis turned it into family base
That is why I got RFE and I spoke with tier 2 who said I see on the system your case is base on family base I said NO and I explained this to him. He said reply to RFE in mail
I did and my case was changed to DV base
When I got the call from immigration officer and I tried to explain to her my situation
She was in such a hurry she was not friendly at all
She didn’t listen carefully to me
I think I have the right to get accepted for case expedite as my case fall under USCUD error
I want to call on Monday and ask for case escalation or file complain against this officer regarding case expedite
I am married to US citizen and either way I am going to get my GC, I am tired of waiting and my case kept pushing back
What do you advise me to do ?

Unfortunately when it comes to immigration processing, there’s no such thing as “I have the right”. Immigration is a privilege, not a right. Being able to process AOS or the possibility of case follow-up via different means is a privilege, not a right. Even if your reason for wanting to pursue a case expedite expressly falls within the listed criteria, it does not mean the USCIS is obligated to allow or approve the expedite request. The website says “USCIS may consider an expedite request if it meets one or more of the following criteria” - see the use of the word “may”? That is to show they’re not obligated to do so, the website also shows USCIS “has the sole discretion to decide whether to grant or deny a request”. This basically means there’s nothing you can do about the denied expedite request.

As for your next step, reach out to your congressional rep the right way as shown on their website for case follow up assistance.

On a side note, it is good to know you already have a plan B for obtaining your GC should the DV based AOS fail.

Good day @Sm1smom,

I have a question as I am preparing for the interview - can my husband be stated as my sponsor in I-134 form? He is currently employed, doing STEM OPT, OPT tenor expires in Jan 2022 (he is on F1/Opt and I am F2).

Does it make sense to prepare this Form ready for the interview in our case (as OPT is limited in time and is not like H1B employment).
I filed all the bank statements, tax transcripts, w-2s, paystubs when made our application to confirm the current financial condition of the family. But just in case thinking about bringing I-134.

thank you.

A workaround way might be to register for Premium Forwarding Service with USPS - this is a paid service, different from the standard mail forwarding service that comes with the USPS change of address. With Premium Forwarding Mail Service, USPS can forward Registered, Priority, and Express mails.

Here’s an AVVO article that talks more on this.

USPS neither forwarded nor returned it back. This morning the envelopes were in my old house's mailbox. So now I am a green card holder, leterally - I hold it in my hand :)
Best of luck everyone!!! I am sure 99.9% of people here will succeed!
@Sm1smom @SusieQQQ I hope all the goodness you are spreading here will return back to you as an avalanche.

Attachments

• GcEvelope.jpeg
    GcEvelope.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 62
Good day @Sm1smom,

I have a question as I am preparing for the interview - can my husband be stated as my sponsor in I-134 form? He is currently employed, doing STEM OPT, OPT tenor expires in Jan 2022 (he is on F1/Opt and I am F2).

Does it make sense to prepare this Form ready for the interview in our case (as OPT is limited in time and is not like H1B employment).
I filed all the bank statements, tax transcripts, w-2s, paystubs when made our application to confirm the current financial condition of the family. But just in case thinking about bringing I-134.

thank you.

Your spouse’s income will be applied to you as a family, he however is not the right person to fill out an I-134 for you if you’re considering having one on hand as a backup financial document. You’ll need a third party that is eligible to provide one that covers your entire household (which includes your husband) and that third party’s entire household in addition in that case.

USPS neither forwarded nor returned it back. This morning the envelopes were in my old house's mailbox. So now I am a green card holder, leterally - I hold it in my hand :)
Best of luck everyone!!! I am sure 99.9% of people here will succeed!
@Sm1smom @SusieQQQ I hope all the goodness you are spreading here will return back to you as an avalanche.

Congratulations on finishing the process and getting your GC. Good thing you were able to get it from your previous address. If the new occupants had returned the envelope to USPS since the addressee is no longer residing at the listed address, USPS would in turn have had to return it to USCIS. The fact that USPS did not forward it to your new address like they do your other mail confirms what we’ve said about them not forwarding such mail even when a change of address is done with them (USPS).

Your spouse’s income will be applied to you as a family, he however is not the right person to fill out an I-134 for you if you’re considering having one on hand as a backup financial document. You’ll need a third party that is eligible to provide one that covers your entire household (which includes your husband) and that third party’s entire household in addition in that case.

Thank you, that makes sense. I believe I messed up smth then, I thought I saw some post where 1 spouse acted as a sponsor for another. I hope we'll go thru this smoothly...

Hi mom,
I had submitted a congressional inquiry into my case and since i hadn't gotten a good response for a couple weeks i submitted an expedite request. My case status shows that the expedite request was completed. Surprisingly, on the same day, I got response from my congressman saying my interview was scheduled and today I received a notice from USCIS too.
So my question is should I call USCIS and ask if my expedite request was approved or should i just ignore it and assume that it was approved?
Hello. Could you tell me how did you submit an expedite request?

Hi there,
I'm very late to the party and have spent the last few months trying to pull everything together with my lawyer to submit for AoS (I-944 added to the timeline quite a bit.) We should be able to submit in the next few days, but the big question is whether or not I've run out of time. I see lots of people who submitted some time ago still waiting for their appointments to be scheduled and wonder if there is a cutoff prior to September 30 for general application processing. Any advice you're willing to share is greatly appreciated.
P.S. It's so nice to read the messages of support and assistance in this thread. Congratulations to all those who received their approvals.

Hi Folks,

My Case status shows "Cards mailed" on 8/18.
However, it didn't provide any tracking number and I haven't get it yet.
Just wondering anyone who has received a green card these days, do you get any tracking number?
Also, after card mailed, how long does it take to receive the green card?
Thanks.
@Denique @aprilyeah @AsianLily @pobst1
I got trancking number only when "mail was picked up by USPS". So it will take a couple of days!!!

Hi there,
I'm very late to the party and have spent the last few months trying to pull everything together with my lawyer to submit for AoS (I-944 added to the timeline quite a bit.) We should be able to submit in the next few days, but the big question is whether or not I've run out of time. I see lots of people who submitted some time ago still waiting for their appointments to be scheduled and wonder if there is a cutoff prior to September 30 for general application processing. Any advice you're willing to share is greatly appreciated.
P.S. It's so nice to read the messages of support and assistance in this thread. Congratulations to all those who received their approvals.

You’ve spent the last few months trying to pull everything together with your lawyer, the I-944 requirements added quite a bit of a delay and as of today, Aug. 24th, you’re still at the stage of hoping submit in the next couple of days? How familiar is your lawyer with DV based AOS process, or AOS in general? I’m surprised, considering you claim to have been at this for the last few months, your lawyer isn’t aware of the court injunction suspending the I-944 requirement as of July 29th.

What is your current status? When did you enter the US?

Hi there,
Hi, have you seen the spreadsheet linked in the first post of this thread? I’d strongly suggest you dump your lawyer in favor of that, beyond immediately.

I did my biometrics on 8/6 and no interview scheduled yet. I called KCC on Monday, USCIS didn’t request my case yet. New Orleans office.

If nothing happens next week, I will submit a congressional inquiry.

Hey good morning. I just called USCIS. I asked them if my case is in the field office or still at NBC. She said we transferred your case to field office, it is currently at field office. I told them that I still didn't get my interview letter, I've done my bio on 8/6. She said call back on 9/6 if you still don't get your IL. Should I call tomorrow again anyway?

I also called KCC again today. Lady said they still didn't request your case yet. She said "I don't understand why they still didn't request your case, call them twice a week."

A service request (or e-request) is not the same as an expedite. An expedite is when you say to them “I need you to push my case to the front of the line for an urgent reason” - this is where humanitarian/financial need/uscis error etc comes in - these are the reasons they need to push you to the front of the line (so they will go faster than normal processing time for your case type).
An e-request or service request is when you are basically enquiring about a case - “why is this taking so long?” - with the real intent of getting it on your FO’s radar just in case it has somehow dropped off it (often they are quite aware of it but waiting for background check, or to batch applicants, or something else). You will normally only be allowed to submit an e-request (online) once your case is outside of normal processing time, but this latter number often isn’t that relevant to DV, or not helpful to those who submit late-ish in the fiscal year, which is when making a service request via telephone to a uscis rep comes in.

A quick update: Managed to call both KCC and USCIS. KCC re-confirmed that my case file has not yet been requested. However, the call to USCIS was a little more promising - I did manage to get the service request filed. It did not even require Tier 2 - I was on the phone with Tier 1 who sent a line to the FO while we were speaking. She said they will get back to me if/when FO responds. Not that hopeful it gives huge boost but at least some nagging to the FO...

Last edited: