• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2020 AOS Only

What was the RFE for? When was it issued? When did you respond?
It was for my school records issued by July 1 respond by August 2 .they needed it in a sealed envelope which I couldn't provide due to the covid situation they couldn't do it which I got a letter from them stating why they can't do it and had a help from a lawyer to respond to them with all the documents I have for my school. After that been scheduled for biometric appointment August 17 which is updated in the system. And contacted my congress and they sent an inquiry about my case.

1. Yes that is sort of grouping the cases together.
2. Not having requested the KCC file by now is a bit concerning - if the cases have been assigned to a new IO who is not familiar with DV based cases, that may explain the lack of movement you guys are experiencing. It could also be that the IO is aware, but he/she is waiting for your background check clearance first before scheduling the interview. I’ld say if there’s no update by the beginning of September, you guys should be calling the USCIS 1800 number every couple of days and keep requesting for case escalation until you connect with a rep who will do so.

My case has not been requested by KCC too. Did bio on 5th August. Good advise to call each couple of days.

I believe he is referring to the 6 months that need to pass for the expeditious request initiation?
That wasn’t anything to do with the page linked to. Of course all guesswork based on “do a search” :rolleyes:

edit: oh I see he finally deigned to provide us with what he was talking about, after everyone wasted their time.

See in the middle please. DV based AOS is not listed among other AOSs. Hence, DV based AOS is 6 month maximum. After 6 month applicants are eligible to submit e-request.
Yes, and...? This is not the same as an expedite, if that’s what you meant. Or did you mean something else? Sorry, I’ve kind of lost track.

It was for my school records issued by July 1 respond by August 2 .they needed it in a sealed envelope which I couldn't provide due to the covid situation they couldn't do it which I got a letter from them stating why they can't do it and had a help from a lawyer to respond to them with all the documents I have for my school. After that been scheduled for biometric appointment August 17 which is updated in the system. And contacted my congress and they sent an inquiry about my case.

Are you currently in F1 status? I seem to recall you previously stated you're in asylum pending. If that is correct, my guess the RFE is for the purpose of determining if you're still in a valid status or not. If they make the determination you're no longer in a valid status based on the information you sent in, they most likely will send you a denial notice without scheduling an interview. The bio notice which you got has no bearing on the RFE or the response you sent in. The bio notice came from the NBC, the RFE was from you FO.

I did my biometrics on 8/6 and no interview scheduled yet. I called KCC on Monday, USCIS didn’t request my case yet. New Orleans office.

If nothing happens next week, I will submit a congressional inquiry.
My FO is also New Orleans. But I got my IL and is scheduled for 28th Aug. However, I've got to know the FO was working on my case in late July (called KCC and they told me FO requested the file). Also, there were two other member in here, one already got approved and other one has interview on the same day as me. So, I guess the FO is aware and working on DV cases. May be your background is not cleared or file not being gotten proper attention. The one who got approved said that he/she sent a service request and FO responded to that and schedule an interview (he/she never updated the timeline though). So, I suggest you to do the service request first before you contact congress office.

Are you currently in F1 status? I seem to recall you previously stated you're in asylum pending. If that is correct, my guess the RFE is for the purpose of determining if you're still in a valid status or not. If they make the determination you're no longer in a valid status based on the information you sent in, they most likely will send you a denial notice without scheduling an interview. The bio notice which you got has no bearing on the RFE or the response you sent in. The bio notice came from the NBC, the RFE was from you FO.
Thanks for the reply yeah it was me and the lawyer told me same thing that they want to see if you are in a correct lawful stay which ill be eligible to AOS . Well i just want to put this behind me . Seems from you reply you don't see much hope for my case .

Thanks for the reply yeah it was me and the lawyer told me same thing that they want to see if you are in a correct lawful stay which ill be eligible to AOS . Well i just want to put this behind me . Seems from you reply you don't see much hope for my case .
So you haven’t maintained F1 status?

Unfortunately I don't, and I did try to prepare you for this outcome back in April. Here's a recent denial with a similar case Asylum Pending AOS Denial.

However, considering I will not be the one to make the final decision on your case but the IO assigned to it, of course you should continue with the process until you receive a final decision one way or the other.

1. Yes that is sort of grouping the cases together.
2. Not having requested the KCC file by now is a bit concerning - if the cases have been assigned to a new IO who is not familiar with DV based cases, that may explain the lack of movement you guys are experiencing. It could also be that the IO is aware, but he/she is waiting for your background check clearance first before scheduling the interview. I’ld say if there’s no update by the beginning of September, you guys should be calling the USCIS 1800 number every couple of days and keep requesting for case escalation until you connect with a rep who will do so.

I am one of the fortunate few I guess who had the luck of getting very sincere tier 2 officers most of the times I called. So, agree with @Sm1smom that exercise patience but calling the USCIS helps when you get a tier 2 officer who sincerely goes over the information.

I called today around 11AM to check on the "service request another tier 2 put in on 11 August". Today's call back time when it was scheduled said "800 minutes". So I received the call back around 6:30pm (so they do work after 5pm). The officer was very nice and checked both my case and wife's case (after getting verbal approval). She said my case shows that FO has requested my case file. I asked if it meant the case file from KCC, she said the request goes through NBC (she could have said NVC, not sure) but yes the KCC file. She said as they have requested means they are in process of review and scheduling interview if needed. **(someone can correct me if something is amiss here as I am trying to remember a phone call as much as I can).

So I asked then about my wife's case and she said she doesn't see the request for her case file yet. But she said that as my wife just did her biometrics then it should be coming. Then she actually initiated a service request for my wife's case and then told me even though she is submitting the request but it might only come with the response that the case has been requested just like mine.

I asked her about congress inquiry and she said, I can request it as it is my right to do so. And it won't negatively effect my case.

I asked her that from Sep 1, I might be moving to a new address. She said I should initiate a change of address request (AR11). As long as I do it through the egov.uscis.gov website then I should be fine in terms of receiving mails in new address. She said it takes 24 hours for the address to update in the system.

She even guided me through the website to find the link. Tools> Change of Address...

So advice to, try to reach a tier 2 once September starts and if you get the right officer he/she will do the "case escalation".

Q1: Even though Tier2 officer advised but I want the experience of forum people about the change of address issue? I have 10 more days in my current address so what to do?

Last edited:
I am one of the fortunate few I guess who had the luck of getting very sincere tier 2 officers most of the times I called. So, agree with @Sm1smom that exercise patience but calling the USCIS helps when you get a tier 2 officer who sincerely goes over the information.

I called today around 11AM to check on the "service request another tier 2 put in on 11 August". Today's call back time when it was scheduled said "800 minutes". So I received the call back around 6:30pm (so they do work after 5pm). The officer was very nice and checked both my case and wife's case (after getting verbal approval). She said my case shows that FO has requested my case file. I asked if it meant the case file from KCC, she said the request goes through NBC (she could have said NVC, not sure) but yes the KCC file. She said as they have requested means they are in process of review and scheduling interview if needed. **(someone can correct me if something is amiss here as I am trying to remember a phone call as much as I can).

So I asked then about my wife's case and she said she doesn't see the request for her case file yet. But she said that as my wife just did her biometrics then it should be coming. Then she actually initiated a service request for my wife's case and then told me even though she is submitting the request but it might only come with the response that the case has been requested just like mine.

I asked her about congress inquiry and she said, I can request it as it is my right to do so. And it won't negatively effect my case.

I asked her that from Sep 1, I might be moving to a new address. She said I should initiate a change of address request (AR11). As long as I do it through the egov.uscis.gov website then I should be fine in terms of receiving mails in new address. She said it takes 24 hours for the address to update in the system.

She even guided me through the website to find the link. Tools> Change of Address...

So advice to, try to reach a tier 2 once September starts and if you get the right officer he/she will do the "case escalation".

Q1: Even though Tier2 officer advised but I want the experience of forum people about the change of address issue? I have 10 more days in my current address so what to do?
I requested to change my address at the end of July it was changed in 24h. I received the notice to redo my bio on my new address

I requested to change my address at the end of July it was changed in 24h. I received the notice to redo my bio on my new address

Q1: Can I request change of address for only my case from my USCIS account?
Q2: Do I have to open a separate account for my wife to change her address or I can do from my account for both?

Q1: Can I request change of address for only my case from my USCIS account?
Q2: Do I have to open a separate account for my wife to change her address or I can do from my account for both?
I don’t know about this. I changed mine through USCIS account but I think you can add both cases to your USCIS account.