• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2020 AOS Only

I received a letter as a result of my request to expedite my case (August 17) saying that they are aware of the September deadline and that uscic is working to meet this deadline for all DV cases. So basically they are telling me to wait.

Just to recap my interview was on July 30, fingerprints were taken August 3
My staus online changed to "new card being produced" today

Hello SM1SMOM
I got email from uscis
Sender address from uscis Sacramento which is my field office
I wanna share this email with you and please advise me what to do next
On 08/07/2020, you or the designated representative shown below, contacted us about your case. Some of the key information given to us at that time was the following:

Caller indicated they are:
-- Applicant or Petitioner

Attorney Name:
-- Information not available

Case type:
-- I485

Filing date:
-- 05/19/2020
The status of this service request is:

On August 07, 2020, you contacted USCIS concerning your I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, to request your case be expedited. Below is a summary of what we found and how the issue has been or may be resolved.

We researched the status of your case and found USCIS sent you a Request for Evidence (RFE) on July 27, 2020. On August 04, 2020, we received your response to the RFE and your application is currently being reviewed by an Immigration Services Officer.

All expedite requests are reviewed on a case-by-case basis, and are granted at the discretion of the Director. The burden is on the applicant or petitioner to demonstrate that one or more of the expedite criteria have been met. The criteria are as follows:

-Severe financial loss to company or individual
-Extreme emergent situation
-Humanitarian situation
-Nonprofit status of requesting organization in furtherance of the cultural and social interests of the United States
-Department of Defense or National Interest Situation (Note: Request must come from official United States Government entity and state that delay will be detrimental to our Government)
-USCIS error
-Compelling interest of USCIS

In order to consider your request you will need to make an InfoPass appointment to bring in evidence that demonstrates you meet one of the above criteria to have your application expedited. You can schedule an InfoPass appointment by calling our Contact Center at 1-800-375-5283.

We hope this information is helpful to you.

-------------------------------
Online Services
We offer many online services and tools to help you find the information you need. Please visit our Web site at www.uscis.gov for information about:
*Using our Case Status Online tool;
*Signing up for case status updates;
*Checking processing times;
*Submitting an e-Request to inquire about certain applications and petitions;
*Using our Office Locator;
*Using InfoPass to schedule an appointment; and
*Downloading forms.

Address Changes
If you move, please provide us with an updated address. For more information about address changes, please visit our Web site at www.uscis.gov/ar-11, and click on "Change Your Address Online."

For More Information
If you do not find the information you need through our online services and need further assistance, you may contact USCIS Contact Center at 1-800-375-5283 or 1-800-767-1833 (TDD for the hearing impaired).

The email says you requested a case expedite, in order for the expedite requested to be reviewed they need you need to schedule an infopass to enable you visit the FO and present compelling evidence that shows your expedite request meets one of the listed criteria

Don't provide your full case number, it is very sensitive info for you, dont publish it online. Edit your post!

You may want to show smth like 2020AF37XXX

You’re correcting someone about posting their full CN, and you quoted the post with the full CN :rolleyes:

I just received the Green Card today.
They sent it by USPS priority mail with trancking number provided, which was useful and secure.

Here is how my case status changed after interview&bio( both on 07/23)
07/23 finger prints were taken
07/28 We ordered you new card.
07/29 We approved your Form I 485
08/17 We mailed your new card directly to the address.
08/18 Card was picked up by USPS.
(08/20 arrived)

I really appreciate this community, especially @Sm1smon, and everyone who helped me. Such helpful information and support.
It was quite a journey. For those who are still waiting, I am crossing fingers for you!!! Thank you again.

That’s great. Congratulations.

yes. I also applied for a STEM extension last month and although not yet, my case will also be denied as I got approved for my permanent residency two days ago. but from my understanding, this won't be a denial of visa, it will be a denial of work permit?

That is a denial of extension status, not visa, on the basis of the status no longer being applicable.

I have finished my interview this morning, and the case status changed to "new card being produced" this afternoon.
Thanks @Sm1smom again for all the help during this journey. I learned a lot from the forums! I will update my timeline once I have access right!

The interview was great, as everyone's feedback, the interviewer asked whether you would like to provide new info, I gave my opt extension receipt, the new i20, and the updated pay stubs. The interviewer told me that the interview will be very quick, I said I took a day off for this interview, so he started to chat a little bit with me about what I can do today! Then we went through i485, signed and the interview was done! It was a very great experience. Easy and fast! He then said that he would like to give me another great news, that is, he approved my case right away! Then he started to explain what's next and when I can expect to get the approval letter. I asked him, does my staus change from F1 to LPR after getting the approval letter? He said, you already are a permanent resident after I clicked the approved bottom. lol

All in all, this was a very great experience, I would like to thanks mom and all the people who share their experience and questions in the forums.
I have 3 questions regarding the actions after receiving the green card:

1. Employer: after I get the green card, I think what the employer needs is a copy of green card so that they can update i9?
2. Student Visa: I think I should let the school's international office know and let them close my student visa or something?
3. International Travel: after receiving green card, I only need to bring green card itself and my original passport, no need to bring some documents like student visa?

Thanks again and appreciate all the help!

I thought it will change once author is editing his. Anyway will keep in mind. Thanks!
Nope, your quote retains the original unedited version. Makes for fun times sometimes when people try to pretend they never said something ;)

I have finished my interview this morning, and the case status changed to "new card being produced" this afternoon.
Thanks @Sm1smom again for all the help during this journey. I learned a lot from the forums! I will update my timeline once I have access right!

The interview was great, as everyone's feedback, the interviewer asked whether you would like to provide new info, I gave my opt extension receipt, the new i20, and the updated pay stubs. The interviewer told me that the interview will be very quick, I said I took a day off for this interview, so he started to chat a little bit with me about what I can do today! Then we went through i485, signed and the interview was done! It was a very great experience. Easy and fast! He then said that he would like to give me another great news, that is, he approved my case right away! Then he started to explain what's next and when I can expect to get the approval letter. I asked him, does my staus change from F1 to LPR after getting the approval letter? He said, you already are a permanent resident after I clicked the approved bottom. lol

All in all, this was a very great experience, I would like to thanks mom and all the people who share their experience and questions in the forums.

1. Employer: after I get the green card, I think what the employer needs is a copy of green card so that they can update i9?
2. Student Visa: I think I should let the school's international office know and let them close my student visa or something?
3. International Travel: after receiving green card, I only need to bring green card itself and my original passport, no need to bring some documents like student visa?

1. Yes
2. Yes let them know so they terminate your SEVIS record etc
3. Correct. (In fact technically you only need your green card to re-enter the US, but you’ll need your passport for everything else travel related.)

Yes, Newark
So if I understood well you're waiting for the interview, right?
Something strange is going on at Newark FO...me and @Lara1 had our interviews done and biometrics done after that and are now stuck at the approval part, while @hmizoun is in the similar situation as you are...did the biometrics but haven't received the interview call yet.
From what I know, only one person works on all DV cases there...it might sound dumb, but I've got a theory that he might be on some kind of vacation, since everything kind of abruptly stopped. If its of any consolation, he was aware of the deadline and everything so let's hope that everything will be fine.

EDIT: I see now that you already did the interview. So same situation as me and Lara. We're all stuck at the same stage.

So if I understood well you're waiting for the interview, right?
Something strange is going on at Newark FO...me and @Lara1 had our interviews done and biometrics done after that and are now stuck at the approval part, while @hmizoun is in the similar situation as you are...did the biometrics but haven't received the interview call yet.
From what I know, only one person works on all DV cases there...it might sound dumb, but I've got a theory that he might be on some kind of vacation, since everything kind of abruptly stopped. If its of any consolation, he was aware of the deadline and everything so let's hope that everything will be fine.

EDIT: I see now that you already did the interview. So same situation as me and Lara. We're all stuck at the same stage.

We had our interviews prior to biometrics, first we received a call and the person on the phone said that our interview was scheduled first as at that time the office in Elizabeth was still not operating as normal. So we had our interview, the officer said that he pre-approved our case, but he cannot finalize it or give an official approval before our biometrics. So we were quite happy and thought it will go fast from there. We received our bio appointment and had it done on the August, 4th. The status changed to "fingerprints taken" on the same day and nothing ever since. So i am getting a little anxious and not sure if i should worry or not.

EDIT: yeah, you may be right about it. I hope it's the case and everything will be alright and next week we all will get our status changed! :)

Last edited:

1. Yes.
2. Yes. After you’ve received the GC.
3. Yes.

Congratulations.

We had our interviews prior to biometrics, first we received a call and the person on the phone said that our interview was scheduled first as at that time the office in Elizabeth was still not operating as normal. So we had our interview, the officer said that he pre-approved our case, but he cannot finalize it or give an official approval before our biometrics. So we were quite happy and thought it will go fast from there. We received our bio appointment and had it done on the August, 4th. The status changed to "fingerprints taken" on the same day and nothing ever since. So i am getting a little anxious and not sure if i should worry or not.
As I said, the same story over here. I even did the biometrics twice! First one, based on the expedited request from officer that was performed in FO in Newark a week after the interview and the second one I attended at ASC in Hackensack because I have received official letter (I assume this was because NBC was late on mailing those). Got the same message from the officer and all of that and same as you, stuck at fingerprints update.

As I said, the same story over here. I even did the biometrics twice! First one, based on the expedited request from officer that was performed in FO in Newark a week after the interview and the second one I attended at ASC in Hackensack because I have received official letter (I assume this was because NBC was late on mailing those). Got the same message from the officer and all of that and same as you, stuck at fingerprints update.
I feel better knowing that we are not alone in this situation, hopefully the status will change for all of us soon! Thanks for your reply

I feel better knowing that we are not alone in this situation, hopefully the status will change for all of us soon! Thanks for your reply
Sure, it definitely helps out knowing that you're not the only one. Based on the info that we have, it's 4/4 ppl at Newark FO that got stuck with their cases so it must be something internally.
I agree, hope we all get our approvals soon!

The email says you requested a case expedite, in order for the expedite requested to be reviewed they need you need to schedule an infopass to enable you visit the FO and present compelling evidence that shows your expedite request meets one of the listed criteria
I don’t understand uscis don’t understand my case is base on Diversity lottery and time sensitive
Not much time left to September 30
I’ll call tomorrow and try to speak with tier 2 to figure out how to finish this case
I feel they don’t know how to do their job

I don’t understand uscis don’t understand my case is base on Diversity lottery and time sensitive
Not much time left to September 30
I’ll call tomorrow and try to speak with tier 2 to figure out how to finish this case
I feel they don’t know how to do their job
USCIS, at least your FO, understands that DV is time sensitive. What you don’t seem to want to understand (I’m sure it has been explained on this thread before) is that requesting an expedite is a specific type of request strictly based on the factors they outlined in their email to you (also outlined on their website, etc). I am pretty sure it’s been stated here before that if those factors are not met the request is denied. A sunset clause /time sensitivity is not one of those factors because FOs know it’s an issue, as has been reported by a number of others here, including a poster who actually saw it noted on their file. I don’t have time to go back through past posts, have you contacted your congressman?

https://www.uscis.gov/forms/forms-information/how-to-make-an-expedite-request

USCIS may consider an expedite request if it meets one or more of the following criteria:

• Severe financial loss to a company or person, provided that the need for urgent action is not the result of the petitioner’s or applicant’s failure to:
    1. File the benefit request or the expedite request in a reasonable time frame, or
    2. Respond to any requests for additional evidence in a reasonably timely manner;
  • Urgent humanitarian reasons;
  • Compelling U.S. government interests (such as urgent cases for the Department of Defense or DHS, or other public safety or national security interests); or
  • Clear USCIS error.