• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2020 All Selectees

Better find a new sponsor.
very easy to say "Find a new sponsor" but in reality, it is very difficult for someone who doesn't have anyone in the US. I am not gonna worry about the SSN and going forward with what I have. I will update the outcome of my case after the interview.

Hey, I was selected in the DV lottery CN: OC18xx,

I'm currently on F-1 visa status studying here in California, and as my number is high I'm wanting to Change AOS to CP.

I've unlocked my DS-260 and am changing the Present Address to my home address back in my country of Nationality (Australia).

However, I'm wondering for the Previous Addresses section of the form do I add my current USA address to that section?

I'm currently on F-1 visa status studying here in California, and as my number is high I'm wanting to Change AOS to CP.

I've unlocked my DS-260 and am changing the Present Address to my home address back in my country of Nationality (Australia).

However, I'm wondering for the Previous Addresses section of the form do I add my current USA address to that section?

How does it work?
You think you will get an interview sooner than the month you go current if you go for a CP?
I doubt it. If they had started processing your DS-260 and your background check it would make sense but I don't think they process applications in this way. Submitting DS-260 for immigrant visas are like submitting DS-160 for non-immigrant visas. I think they start background check after conducting the interview for CP but it is a different story for AOS.

Last edited:
How does it work?
You think you will get an interview sooner than the month you go current if you go for a CP?
I doubt it. If they had started processing your DS-260 and your background check it would make sense but I don't think they process applications in this way. Submitting DS-260 for immigrant visas are like submitting DS-160 for non-immigrant visas. I think they start background check after conducting the interview for CP but it is a different story for AOS.

You don’t get an interview sooner than the month you go current if you go CP, you get it in that month (assuming DS260 processed, etc). However, for AOS, it happens very often that you interview later than the month you go current - even with early filing. Sometimes months later. A lot depends on how busy your FO is, and whether or not they batch DV cases. It’s true that they seem to hurry up at the end of the fiscal year, and people can get current in September and still successfully AOS, but there is also a risk that it doesn’t happen and/or it is one of the unfortunate instances where someone at a FO doesn’t understand the sunset clause. We have seen both these things happen on the forum. Plus, in a high selectees year, having the visa number reserved for you (like it is in CP but not in AOS) may be beneficial if they run out of DV visas before fiscal year end - and we have seen AOS cases interviewing at fiscal year end refused for this reason. Rare, but it’s happened. So, it may be more hassle, but imo makes absolute sense for someone who is risk averse with a high number to switch to CP (especially if the person is not likely to be subject to extended AP).

Also, you are wrong about the background check after CP. People can and do get their visas within a couple of days after their interviews, some busier embassies a few days longer (again, assuming no AP).

Last edited:
Hi all,

Unknowingly i ended up following a bad advice from a travel agency which organized everything for my trip on J1 visa through Work and Travel.

They told me the law doesn't allow you to work multiple jobs but everybody knows, including the embassy that students work multiple jobs.

Usually most of the students were getting their J1 visas approved 4 years in a row working multiple jobs.

Both times while i was on my J1 visa in the US as a participant in the Work and Travel program i was working multiple jobs which i haven't reported to my sponsor agency.

Now i have the dv lottery interview coming up soon.

How much do they regularly check these things?
Will this affect my LPR interview and lead to rejection probably?

Any opinions are welcomed

Are you aware of the implications that come with submitting DS260 early, and how they are potentially amplified with such a high number?

What are the implications if someone submits DS260 early?
Submitting the DS-260 shows immigrant intent, if you never make it to interview (number may be too high, decide not to proceed, be declined etc) any future non-immigrant visa requests may be denied or the the very least be harder to obtain

Submitting the DS-260 shows immigrant intent, if you never make it to interview (number may be too high, decide not to proceed, be declined etc) any future non-immigrant visa requests may be denied or the the very least be harder to obtain
Do you mean we need to submit when CN gets close to current to avoid the risk of not getting an interview?
Is there any other implications beside NI Visa denial?

Do you mean we need to submit when CN gets close to current to avoid the risk of not getting an interview?
Is there any other implications beside NI Visa denial?

You need to submit the ds260 a few months in advance of your number becoming current to get a timely interview, because you'll need to send them documents and stuff. My friend is oc14xx and I thought that was high.

Not any other implications that I can think of.

You need to submit the ds260 a few months in advance of your number becoming current to get a timely interview, because you'll need to send them documents and stuff. My friend is oc14xx and I thought that was high.

Not any other implications that I can think of.
Thanks!! Based on previous years my number will become current somewhere around June or July 2020, when do you think it is the best moment to submit my DS260?

Hi all,

Unknowingly i ended up following a bad advice from a travel agency which organized everything for my trip on J1 visa through Work and Travel.

They told me the law doesn't allow you to work multiple jobs but everybody knows, including the embassy that students work multiple jobs.

Usually most of the students were getting their J1 visas approved 4 years in a row working multiple jobs.

Both times while i was on my J1 visa in the US as a participant in the Work and Travel program i was working multiple jobs which i haven't reported to my sponsor agency.

Wait, what? You think the agency telling you to follow the law was the bad advice????

But then you lied to the agency because you knew you were breaing the law and now realize that if they check and find out you were breaking the law it could affect your visa approval.

Amazing. I assume you weren't studying law while on a J1.

I believe you can actually do it the other way round and still go through CP. The more I think about this, the more I feel that’s how the form should be filled (contrary to how I’ve responded to other DV selectees in the past). I think your current address in this case should still be your US address, and your home address from your country where CP is expected to take place should be listed as past address. In this case, since you can’t change the interview location on your own and will still need to follow up with KCC regarding the change from AOS to CP, you should be fine.

Like others already stated, rushing to submit your DS260 with a high CN wasn’t a smart move, but nothing can be done about that now. Fingers crossed and hope your CN gets to be current.

Hi all,

The question is did you list all the multiple jobs you did in the US on your DS260 form or you omitted them?

Hi all :)
I am also part of Team Selectees this year!

CN: AF22XXX

Is there any chance that i might make it to the interview?
Is my CN too high?
When do you think my case can be current after submitting DS 260 Some few days after results where out?