• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2020 All Selectees

Hello 2020 Selectees, Regarding DS-260 form, I'm confused about how to answer two questions over there, (Note that it comes under title of Law Violation):
(1).Do you seek to enter the US for the purpose of performing skilled or unskilled labor but have not yet been certified by the Secretary of Labor?
(2).Are you a foreign medical graduate seeking to perform these duties but you haven't yet passed the license exam?

Being a pharmacist I'm not sure how to answer both Qs. Should I write down YES to both of them.. then explain I'm planning on working at different jobs till I get any required licenses to perform my primary profession as a pharmacist in the US? and as new immigrant I will abide by the law according to the state before performing any job? or should I say NO as I'm not intending to violate any laws!

It doesn't matter what you answer for those questions. Yes would be the most accurate answer in your scenario.

Hello friends,
I have to stay for 2 more years to finish my education in my home country. How should I mention this at my interview? Can I be refused a green card based on that?

You should investigate transferring to a US college because the qualification you receive will be more easily recognized in the USA. At the interview you can say you will look into that option to finish your education.

About Banned countries, the first selection is random so since the countries banned from entering USA are well known they should exclude them from entering the lottery but we are not there yet. To be fair with them it is frustrating to get selected randomly which is not easy them be denied the visa at the interview, I would not like it if it happens to me.
I'm taking Iran as example but this is applicable for all 8 banned countries, since Iran is in Asia, I would assume there will be more chance to get a visa for other countries in Asia since Iran will not get any. right?

Hello friends,
I have to stay for 2 more years to finish my education in my home country. How should I mention this at my interview? Can I be refused a green card based on that?

Be aware that if you get a green card, you will lose it again if you just stay outside of the US for longer than a year withiut a re-entry permit. A re-entry permit gives you two years outside the US, but requires that be in the US to apply for it and do the biometrics (usually means you need to be in the US for about 4 weeks, maybe longer). The fee for this permit is $575 plus $85 for biometrics.

Agree with britsimon that best case is transferring to the US, so that your college degree is better recognized and it will be easier to find your first job after graduation. Depending what stage of your studies are, you can look at community colleges or instate public colleges for lowest cost.

About Banned countries, the first selection is random so since the countries banned from entering USA are well known they should exclude them from entering the lottery but we are not there yet. To be fair with them it is frustrating to get selected randomly which is not easy them be denied the visa at the interview, I would not like it if it happens to me.
I'm taking Iran as example but this is applicable for all 8 banned countries, since Iran is in Asia, I would assume there will be more chance to get a visa for other countries in Asia since Iran will not get any. right?
Why would they ban them from entry based on eligibility from birth country, when the entrants can get a visa if they have a second passport? It’s up to the entrant to figure out eligibility, just like in any other case. We always get selectees who later discover they aren’t eligible, for various reasons.

Why would they ban them from entry based on eligibility from birth country, when the entrants can get a visa if they have a second passport? It’s up to the entrant to figure out eligibility, just like in any other case. We always get selectees who later discover they aren’t eligible, for various reasons.
I think I didn't explain well, I'm just trying to understand.
Let's take the example of an Iranian with only one citizenship, their birth country is Iran, will they be denied at the interview?

Let's take the example of an Iranian with only one citizenship, their birth country is Iran, will they be denied at the interview?

Yes. But why would they be excluded from entry?

And if the ban is lifted at any time during the DV year then there is no problem

I would not like it if I get to the interview then be told you do not qualify based on this ban rule when it is know well before

Well, if you know you won’t qualify then don’t fill in the ds260 and don’t go... I certainly wouldn’t like it if I was Iranian and had another passport so could get a DV, but someone decided to exclude everyone chargeable to Iran from entry.

Good evening. I have a doubt.
I am in the process to complete the forms. On the I 485 I am probably missing 1 address history. At the time I was an aupair pair I had a rematch so I changed families and of course addresses. Now, i don t remember if I did put the "rematch address" in the Ds 260.
1) Is it safer to unlock the Ds 260 in order to check what i wrote in the history addresses or it is something no very important?

I'm not from Iran but I'm taking it as an example

That’s a bad example.

I would not like it if I get to the interview then be told you do not qualify based on this ban rule when it is know well before

I believe most (if not all) Iranians and other selectees under the travel ban order are already aware of the ban being in place prior to going in for their interview, it’s not like they only find out after going for the interview.

In addition, preventing them from submitting an eDV entry form will be a disservice to those of them who are currently in the US on some other form of NIV and can successfully complete the AOS process, or those who can utilize the dual citizenship clause to overcome the ban.

Doesn’t change the point :rolleyes: you can’t just ban people from entering when you don’t know if they have a legitimate avenue to claim a visa.
LOL, I think I was not clear.... I'm not looking for preventing them from entering the eDV :) I'm just saying it is frustrating for them

LOL, I think I was not clear.... I'm not looking for preventing them from entering the eDV

Really? So why did you say

About Banned countries, the first selection is random so since the countries banned from entering USA are well known they should exclude them from entering the lottery but we are not there yet.

And then answered britsimon with no “correction” when he said

Hard to backtrack when your post history is there. Anyway it’s a pointless argument because no-one is going to “exclude” those countries from entering. And they are all grown adults who can understand the basis of eligibility, so like every other DV entrant let them make the decision on their own factors.

Anybody from Asia received Documents request from KCC after DS-260? Please share with your CN range and date of DS-260 submission. I am getting little impatient. :)
My CN is AS23XXX and so far i haven't heard back from KCC, i submitted my DS-260 on July 14th..
I am also interested to hear from someone within this CN range in asia region ..

I have two questions.

The first one is about the expected cutoff number for EU in DV2020. I know these type of questions are cumbersome and it would be better to just wait and see since we can't change our situation anyway. But for me, this guessing game is just part of the fun ;)
Britsimon mentioned on his blog post that he considers all case numbers in Europe above 45k to be high and thus in danger of not getting invited to an interview. I am curious if this number shouldn't be lower. Let's assume 52k visas are available (50k + 2k from NACRA), 40% (similar to DV18 and DV19) or 20.8k of these will go to Europe. There are 14k cases and roughly 31k selectees in Europe. Let's assume the selectees are evenly spread out across case numbers and also that the case numbers are uniformly distributed which is not exactly true. Then we have 20.8k/31k = 70% of all selectees/case numbers in Europe will get a visa. We can make our calculations more precise by factoring selectees who won't respond. In DV 18/19 we saw a no response rate of around 20%. I assume that it will be lower this year since more there are more participants and also selectees from Eastern Europeans who are more eager to actually move forward. Let's assume 10% no response rate (worst case). The number of visas will be distributed among 31k - 3.1k = 27,9k. Thus, 20,8k/27,9k = 74% will receive a visa. If we take the first 74% the cutoff number for EU will around 41,5k. If we assume a no response rate of 15% => 31k-4,65k = 26.3k => 20.8k/26.3k => 80% will get a visa.
On top, I assume that there are more holes towards higher case numbers which makes the situation for higher case numbers even worse. Intentionally broken link: h ttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Lshia067qJy9QKKDqB7Fi9YLgnt2RJtwwPdP0Ebj4Po/edit#gid=0 This board shows Turkish case numbers, they are clearly not uniformly distributed. The sample size is 300 which is not too small. Because of the skewed distribution, I would subtract 2k more which results in a worst-case cutoff number of 39,5k. All I want to say is that 45k might be a bit too optimistic. Unfortunately, I am pretty much at this position ;)

The second question is about DV 260 + F1 visa. Do you guys know of any cases in which a person could get an F1 visa after submitting an F1? I want to do a semester abroad in the US beginning in August next year. But I will probably already have submitted the DS 260 before I can apply for an F1.

I have two questions.

The first one is about the expected cutoff number for EU in DV2020. I know these type of questions are cumbersome and it would be better to just wait and see since we can't change our situation anyway. But for me, this guessing game is just part of the fun ;)
Britsimon mentioned on his blog post that he considers all case numbers in Europe above 45k to be high and thus in danger of not getting invited to an interview. I am curious if this number shouldn't be lower. Let's assume 52k visas are available (50k + 2k from NACRA), 40% (similar to DV18 and DV19) or 20.8k of these will go to Europe. There are 14k cases and roughly 31k selectees in Europe. Let's assume the selectees are evenly spread out across case numbers and also that the case numbers are uniformly distributed which is not exactly true. Then we have 20.8k/31k = 70% of all selectees/case numbers in Europe will get a visa. We can make our calculations more precise by factoring selectees who won't respond. In DV 18/19 we saw a no response rate of around 20%. I assume that it will be lower this year since more there are more participants and also selectees from Eastern Europeans who are more eager to actually move forward. Let's assume 10% no response rate (worst case). The number of visas will be distributed among 31k - 3.1k = 27,9k. Thus, 20,8k/27,9k = 74% will receive a visa. If we take the first 74% the cutoff number for EU will around 41,5k. If we assume a no response rate of 15% => 31k-4,65k = 26.3k => 20.8k/26.3k => 80% will get a visa.
On top, I assume that there are more holes towards higher case numbers which makes the situation for higher case numbers even worse. Intentionally broken link: h ttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Lshia067qJy9QKKDqB7Fi9YLgnt2RJtwwPdP0Ebj4Po/edit#gid=0 This board shows Turkish case numbers, they are clearly not uniformly distributed. The sample size is 300 which is not too small. Because of the skewed distribution, I would subtract 2k more which results in a worst-case cutoff number of 39,5k. All I want to say is that 45k might be a bit too optimistic. Unfortunately, I am pretty much at this position ;)

The second question is about DV 260 + F1 visa. Do you guys know of any cases in which a person could get an F1 visa after submitting an F1? I want to do a semester abroad in the US beginning in August next year. But I will probably already have submitted the DS 260 before I can apply for an F1.
There is so much not right with this I am not sure where to begin... I suggest you go and read a lot more on Simons blog about the process.

I have two questions.

So you are underestimating the no responses, ignoring refusals and endless AP, and with these flawed assumptions coming up with a low number to scare yourself. Feel free to do that if you wish, but you are wrong. In time you will see that.

As for your F1 idea, that will be pointless as you will have interviewed by then. But yes it is "possible" (but harder) to get a NIV approval after a DS260 submission.