• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2020 All Selectees

Could anyone clarify something in the ds260 for me, please? At one point we have to give them the home addresses - current and historical. Does it have something to do with the MAILING ADDRESS we give them when submitting for dvlottery. I gave them my work address as the mailing one. Is it ok if this address won't be on the list of home addresses in the ds260? Thank you so much in advance!
No, there is a separate field in DS-260 where you can put your mailing address if it's different from where you live.

Hello,
I am wondering if for CP they start background checking when they process DS-260 which can be submitted well before the date interview is being scheduled?
If so, it doesn't make sense. Why would they waste their time and human resources to do that when they are not sure if the selectee is going to further his application and even to attend the interview?

I don't think they conduct these checks that early in the process. In fact, I don't think your DS-260 application gets processed that early, either. Submitting it early does not mean it gets processed early, unless your case number is very low. They only process and organize interviews for case numbers below the specified allocation cut-off number published each month in the visa bulletins.

Hi everyone,
I have a question regarding the DS260 forms for DV2020. It's my intention to send them for me and my wife today.
I know that we'll have to provide the address and contact information of our friend from the US with whom we will be staying initially. I will add his current address but I know for a fact that his address will change later this year (November/December) since he will buy his own apartment/house. Will I have to re-open the DS260 when this happens or should we inform the embassy at the time of the interview ?

Hello,
I am wondering if for CP they start background checking when they process DS-260 which can be submitted well before the date interview is being scheduled?
If so, it doesn't make sense. Why would they waste their time and human resources to do that when they are not sure if the selectee is going to further his application and even to attend the interview?

There’s an initial background check that gets done before a current CN gets scheduled for an interview? We however have no idea as to how early in the process this happens.

I don’t think the initial background check for cases that do not go current is viewed as a waste of time or resources by the US government in general. I believe the information goes into their big database dump to be referenced in the future.

Could anyone clarify something in the ds260 for me, please? At one point we have to give them the home addresses - current and historical. Does it have something to do with the MAILING ADDRESS we give them when submitting for dvlottery. I gave them my work address as the mailing one. Is it ok if this address won't be on the list of home addresses in the ds260? Thank you so much in advance!

The historical address section has to do with places you’ve resided at.

Hi everyone,
I have a question regarding the DS260 forms for DV2020. It's my intention to send them for me and my wife today.
I know that we'll have to provide the address and contact information of our friend from the US with whom we will be staying initially. I will add his current address but I know for a fact that his address will change later this year (November/December) since he will buy his own apartment/house. Will I have to re-open the DS260 when this happens or should we inform the embassy at the time of the interview ?

What is your CN? If your CN isn’t likely to become current this year or early next year, you’re better off waiting until your friend moves before submitting your DS 260 form. Or go ahead and submit as planned, then contact KCC to unlock your form and update the information, an unnecessary process that could be avoided if you just wait though IMO.

Hi Sm1smom,
my CN is 32XXX (EU). As far as I understood (from a local romanian forum) the address listed is relevant for sending the SSN and GC after arrival in the US and can be updated in the first point of entry. Oviously, I'm not the only one in this situation people might decide to live in a different place after submitting the DS260 for various reasons. This makes sense to me but since I can't verify this info 100% I would like to know your opinion. Many thanks !

Hi Sm1smom,
my CN is 32XXX (EU). As far as I understood (from a local romanian forum) the address listed is relevant for sending the SSN and GC after arrival in the US and can be updated in the first point of entry. Oviously, I'm not the only one in this situation people might decide to live in a different place after submitting the DS260 for various reasons. This makes sense to me but since I can't verify this info 100% I would like to know your opinion. Many thanks !

I already posted my opinion above. Your CN is on the high side, you have enough time to submit a your DS260 form with the new address after your friend moves.

Yes I’m aware people move all the time, I’m aware of the possibility of changing the listed address at the POE or during the interview. The POE option however should be pursued by someone who has already had their interview (last option) while the other option of updating at the time of the interview should be utilized by someone who is already scheduled for an interview and whose DS260 form cannot be unlocked. Having the information on your form prevents a last minute or unforeseen hiccups such as the GC being mistakenly sent to the previously listed address.

Can someone please explain what "CURRENT" means? Does it mean that anyone can apply regardless of how high their number is? Eg. if in May the cut-off was 26,800, and in July it's CURRENT. Does it mean that a person with 50XXX or 60XXX can apply in July?
*I also understand that 2019 numbers are current at the moment, so I'm just wondering if the same could potentially happen next summer with the 2020 winners.

There’s an initial background check that gets done before a current CN gets scheduled for an interview? We however have no idea as to how early in the process this happens.

I don’t think the initial background check for cases that do not go current is viewed as a waste of time or resources by the US government in general. I believe the information goes into their big database dump to be referenced in the future.

Thank you for your response.

As it seems the only reason AOS applications may get stuck is FBI background check. So why don't they start background checking for AOSers well before their case numbers go current and they do that only 50 days sooner at best in advance notification period according to policy memorandum?

Can someone please explain what "CURRENT" means? Does it mean that anyone can apply regardless of how high their number is? Eg. if in May the cut-off was 26,800, and in July it's CURRENT. Does it mean that a person with 50XXX or 60XXX can apply in July?
*I also understand that 2019 numbers are current at the moment, so I'm just wondering if the same could potentially happen next summer with the 2020 winners.

Yes, Current means all case numbers can apply but in most cases they put a cap for special countries even if they state in visa bulletin that all case numbers will be current in that month. For example, "Current except Egypt: 39,800", means that all African countries can apply except those from Egypt whose case numbers are higher than 39,800.

As it seems the only reason AOS applications may get stuck is FBI background check. So why don't they start background checking for AOSers well before their case numbers go current and they do that only 50 days sooner at best in advance notification period according to policy memorandum?

Are you suggesting that they track down all selectees and on their own initiative assume all those currently in the US will AOS, and then proactively do background checks regardless of knowing whether the person will pursue the case, including for those whose numbers may never go current in an oversubscribed year?

FBI background check cannot be initiated for an AOSer until the person actually filed for AOS.

Are you suggesting that they track down all selectees and on their own initiative assume all those currently in the US will AOS, and then proactively do background checks regardless of knowing whether the person will pursue the case, including for those whose numbers may never go current in an oversubscribed year?

That's exactly what I'm saying. My point is that why they may do background check for those applying through CP because DS-260 can be submitted any time regardless of when a case number goes current but when it comes to AOS there is a different story.

That's exactly what I'm saying. My point is that why they may do background check for though applying through CP because DS-260 can be submitted any time regardless of when a case number goes current but when it comes to AOS there is a different story.

And you don't think that is a massive waste of time and resources firstly by needing someone to do what doesn't need to be done at the moment (tracking down around 100,000 selectees and figuring out where each of those is situated at the current time) and then on doing checks that may never be needed? How exactly will that diversion of resources into checks that are unnecessary help speed up those who are actually needed? No, they do it the logical and efficient way, by assuming that a check is needed when the applicant signals it is needed by submitting an AOS package.
Clearly you are not involved in any type of business lol

edit: oh and of course mom is right that they need the bio first - duh!

That's exactly what I'm saying. My point is that why they may do background check for those applying through CP because DS-260 can be submitted any time regardless of when a case number goes current but when it comes to AOS there is a different story.

KCC does not process DS260 or schedule interview for AOSers. Background check cannot be initiated for AOSers until the bio fee is paid and biometrics get captured in addition. Different organizations, different processes involved.

Plus there’s additional background checks that gets conducted for all CPers too by the way after their interview following biometric capture. There are CP cases that get stuck in background checks too after their interview - this is when such people are in AP for several months after their interview.

A case getting stuck in background check has nothing to do with the process but with that an individual’s check reveals.