• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2020 All Selectees

My wife was selected for DV2021 and we both send DS260 form already. We broke up recently, but we don't plan to divorce soon. Can I continue my DV2021 process as the spouse of the winner without any help from her? We will still be married, but not communicating. I am not sure will she continue her process or not.
1. Please post in the DV2021 thread.
2. No, you cannot continue. First a derivative has no claim to a visa if the principal does not pursue it. But whether or not she proceeds, and you would have to interview with her if she did, your marriage is now on paper only (which will become obvious from the forms you have to submit like ds5540), so it is equivalent to a “green card marriage” if you try claim a derivative visa based on it, and you could both be denied and even banned. You will need to try enter the lottery again yourself next time. If she were to read this I would suggest to her that she delete your DS260 from her application in fact.

so why didn’t you just say that rather than the somewhat snarky

?
I tried to make it simple. This is all. And am not anglophone, but I keep learning english, it’s my first time I saw this word (snarky).
My fault, I write what it comes to my mind without thinking about the Sentence being correct or not in right order, So I have missed some points in the English writing section in the final exam to get my High school diploma lol no grudge Susie :)

Aren’t you dv2021? I think you should not be worried yet as you have many many months ahead of you.
I am but that doesn't make me any more hopeful for me to be honest. And, in any case, because it hits so close to home, I think about 2020 winners having to face COVID, then EOs, then the stress of running out of time and then having this thrown in their faces. I understand that senator probably has good intentions, but honestly if I was a 2020 selectee I would be sick to my stomach reading it (I already am and, like you said, I got time still)

Ok, I just wonder .... If they rollover only the visas, it seems like they will do 2 jobs for the price of one. Why in the world would they want to throw out of the window all the work they already have done (all the processed documents), just to start all over again. But you never know ...:rolleyes:
That's exactly what Im thinking also . But sometimes logics don't work with some law makers . If the new law is passed , anything is possible , if they know how DV works , it will be wise if them to just let those who already have case numbers and DS260 completed to continue . Or if they just want to use the remaining visas for the sake of adding them , they will probably have a second draw for dv2021 , which will be a wast of efforts .

That's exactly what Im thinking also . But sometimes logics don't work with some law makers . If the new law is passed , anything is possible , if they know how DV works , it will be wise if them to just let those who already have case numbers and DS260 completed to continue . Or if they just want to use the remaining visas for the sake of adding them , they will probably have a second draw for dv2021 , which will be a wast of efforts .
They’re working on amending the writ so its reads that visas shall be first made available to diversity immigrants selected in the lottery for the respective prior fiscal years.

They’re working on amending the writ so its reads that visas shall be first made available to diversity immigrants selected in the lottery for the respective prior fiscal years.
Wait, wait, what? Can you elaborate or give us a link for this? Because I could cry of happiness and give you a kiss if this is true. I understand it is just ONE of the many proposals and that is is a long shot, but it gives as hope and I will hold onto any shred of hope right now

Wait, wait, what? Can you elaborate or give us a link for this? Because I could cry of happiness and give you a kiss if this is true. I understand it is just ONE of the many proposals and that is is a long shot, but it gives as hope and I will hold onto any shred of hope right now
Haha, well I don’t have a link but direct contact with the lawyer who has contact with the person that is trying to make that amendment.

Whose idea was to propose to roll over only visas? The whole fight started because DV2020 Selectees are losing our chances (I know there are many other categories, but I am talking from our perspective). If only available amount of visas are rolled over what's our benefit? It's not that we are concerned about reduced rates of immigration in the USA and we want that balanced next year, we are concerned about us. :rolleyes:

Whose idea was to propose to roll over only visas? The whole fight started because DV2020 Selectees are losing our chances (I know there are many other categories, but I am talking from our perspective). If only available amount of visas are rolled over what's our benefit? It's not that we are concerned about reduced rates of immigration in the USA and we want that balanced next year, we are concerned about us. :rolleyes:

hm, that’s why lawmakers like to take the big picture, because everyone is only concerned with themselves, I’ve seen other forums asking for specific exemptions from the ban for F2A and IR5 and not caring about the fact that DV has a sunset clause, they think it’s more important that their family doesn’t remain split up any longer. “The whole fight” is much bigger than DV, even for AILA. Luckily there is AILA prepared to fight this on behalf of all of you, too.

hm, that’s why lawmakers like to take the big picture, because everyone is only concerned with themselves, I’ve seen other forums asking for specific exemptions from the ban for F2A and IR5 and not caring about the fact that DV has a sunset clause, they think it’s more important that their family doesn’t remain split up any longer. “The whole fight” is much bigger than DV, even for AILA. Luckily there is AILA prepared to fight this on behalf of all of you, too.

Not everyone. This is what I wrote on the other thread, Trump's New Executive Order, page 9:

"I did it too (sign up with AILA). If it's not meant for me, i hope at least the others (small case numbers) will benefit. :) CN 42*** EU". But yes, it's kinda sad that we focus just on ourselves :confused:. Best of luck to everyone ....... everywhere.

Not everyone. This is what I wrote on the other thread, Trump's New Executive Order, page 9:

"I did it too (sign up with AILA). If it's not meant for me, i hope at least the others (small case numbers) will benefit. :) CN 42*** EU". But yes, it's kinda sad that we focus just on ourselves :confused:. Best of luck to everyone ....... everywhere.
Thank you for caring about others too :)

Meng’s measure would allow unused fiscal year 2020 family-based, employment-based, and diversity visas to remain available in fiscal year 2021, and to allow unused fiscal year 2021 visas to remain available in fiscal year 2022.

Is there anything that ca be done to save us, the selected of DV2020. I can't sleep anymore since president Trum signed this suspended proclamation

It’s very clear that dv 2020 are concerned and the principe is to extend the deadline for 2020 and 2021 simply like drink water and I don’t know why somebody try to complicate just this bill proposition
Meng’s measure would allow unused fiscal year 2020 family-based, employment-based, and diversity visas to remain available in fiscal year 2021, and to allow unused fiscal year 2021 visas to remain available in fiscal year 2022.

You are correct - it is about rolling over unused visas to be available in subsequent years. However, people here should also understand it's just a suggestion that passed through a committee - that does NOT mean it is law.
Why are you so sure about that? The family and employment based visas will be the same ones, why would they have different picks for unused DV 2020 visas? Isn't it easier and faster to just process the applicants who have already won?