• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2019 Oceania Selectees

Damn it! Yep, when I entered I was still living in Australia. I put in the ds260 back in June, and have just submitted the additional documentation now. Just trying to work out when-ish I’ll be interviewing / potentially moving!
If you are still trying to work out when you'll be interviewed then it sounds like you arent scheduled yet - so go ahead and have KCC unlock your DS-260, make the changes and resubmit. Unless you are about to be scheduled this month, you should be ok.
To help identify where you might be in the process, whats your CN?

If you are still trying to work out when you'll be interviewed then it sounds like you arent scheduled yet - so go ahead and have KCC unlock your DS-260, make the changes and resubmit. Unless you are about to be scheduled this month, you should be ok.
No, I haven’t been scheduled yet, I just submitted the documents they asked for yesterday.
I don’t understand what you mean.
When I submitted my DS-260 back in June, I wrote London as my interview location.
But when I entered the lottery last year I was still in Aus.

2020OC000008XX

No, I haven’t been scheduled yet, I just submitted the documents they asked for yesterday.
I don’t understand what you mean.
When I submitted my DS-260 back in June, I wrote London as my interview location.
But when I entered the lottery last year I was still in Aus.
ok so your number is current - meaning as soon as your docs are processed you will be ready for scheduling

It makes no difference where you were then you entered the lottery - the important thing is that you list the correct country of birth.
If you have already listed London as your interview location in your DS-260 then you don't need to do anything else - KCC will send your file to London

ok so your number is current - meaning as soon as your docs are processed you will be ready for scheduling

It makes no difference where you were then you entered the lottery - the important thing is that you list the correct country of birth.
If you have already listed London as your interview location in your DS-260 then you don't need to do anything else - KCC will send your file to London
Okay, cool.
I guess I was more asking if it makes it take longer, being in England rather than Aus. But I guess I’ll find out when I hear back, their auto response said 3-6 weeks!

Today’s the day! In a few hours I’ll be making the long flight with my dog and living my best life in the land of the free. I know it’s something I’ve been dreaming of for over ten years but can’t help but wonder if I’m making the right decision. Did you guys get anxiety on your final day in Australia and the last few moments before boarding the plane?

Today’s the day! In a few hours I’ll be making the long flight with my dog and living my best life in the land of the free. I know it’s something I’ve been dreaming of for over ten years but can’t help but wonder if I’m making the right decision. Did you guys get anxiety on your final day in Australia and the last few moments before boarding the plane?

Good luck. No anxiety for me but I was flying directly to a job so that helped a lot. Where are you moving to?

Good luck. No anxiety for me but I was flying directly to a job so that helped a lot. Where are you moving to?
I’m moving in with a friend in LA. I have a good network of friends there so it made sense to base myself there until I can set myself up and find work. I plan to move north by the end of the year to either Oregon or Washington state.

I’m moving in with a friend in LA. I have a good network of friends there so it made sense to base myself there until I can set myself up and find work. I plan to move north by the end of the year to either Oregon or Washington state.
Nice. that's great. Good that you have a network here already. What was it that made living here a dream for you for so long? Just curious.

As Bob said it'd be weird if you were not anxious.
Enjoy your time and if you do move to Washington give me shout - I'm just north of Seattle

I have a question about filing my first tax return. I got a quote from an accountant and it was $800 to complete my first tax return. Woah!! I mean seriously is that right?
I haven’t worked here yet but I’m pretty sure all I have to do is declare my income from Australia after my activation trip on July 31 to Dec 31 and a give details about my super fund. Is that correct? Hoping I can just do it myself and save $800

You may want to shop around a bit, some do charge $400 an hour-ish but a lot are much cheaper. Make sure it is someone who is familiar with filing dual residency (which is what you do for first year landed). You could do it yourself but to be honest a local tax professional will know more about how to make sure you pay the lowest tax possible/don’t pay double tax etc.

$800 sounds reasonable given my first tax return in the US cost me over $1000! It's less now though.

Tax returns aren't always straightforward for Aussies, particularly if you are holding onto assets in Australia, have sold an asset (the US will charge capital gains on anything over $250k for singles and $500k for couples, even if it's the primary residence) and you have superannuation (superannuation doesn't meet the requirements of a pension fund in the US and is classified as an investment account and has to be accounted for differently).

If nothing else, first time around, get a professional to do it. Then you can learn from what they do and, in the future, do it yourself.

Hey Everyone

It’s been a while. Hope everyone is doing well.

So my circumstances recently have changed... I’m still currently in Australia and possibly could be permanently here after going through all of this process which is a little heartbreaking dependant on the outcome of a few family matters and work commitments.

Anyways long story short I had family emergency which had me travel a second time back to the USA in November (after initial activation trip in August). I did get questioned at the airport this time (as to why I wasn’t staying), told them of the situation and all seemed ok. I returned back to Australia after a short few weeks stay there. Plan was to move permanently in March this year but that is still in question right now :(

I now currently have a few loose ends that have arisen due to family and work over here in the past few months that I just can’t ignore. When would ultimately be the last time I would be able to get to USA without fear that I could be denied entry on this visa?

I now currently have a few loose ends that have arisen due to family and work over here in the past few months that I just can’t ignore. When would ultimately be the last time I would be able to get to USA without fear that I could be denied entry on this visa?

Remember you no longer have a visa, you have a temporary green card. did you pay the $220 uscis fee and do you have a plastic green card? if so, there is no perfectly clear answer but make it less than a year after your last exit, and be sure to be able to convince the CBP officer that it is “the” permanent move. Remember you need to be filing tax for last year for the relevant portion (due April but I think you can get an extension till October if you are physically out of the US, but check that) - and it is about the only tie you can show at this stage.

if you still don’t have a plastic green card, the last day of entry is one year after your immigrant visa was stamped (if it was stamped say 13 Aug 2019 you have till 12 Aug 2020) but you need to find out where your plastic card is, if you entered in August it should have been sent well before now.

Good luck with the various issues and hope they all resolve well.

I now currently have a few loose ends that have arisen due to family and work over here in the past few months that I just can’t ignore.

Good luck mate.

Everyone:

Has there been a consensus here as to how long it takes for the Greencard and SSN to be mailed out? Activated Jan 18, and online USCIS account has no updates from when I created the account on Jan 03.

Paid the $220 USCIS fee prior to activating.

Not stressed about it per se, just curious.

Good luck mate.

Everyone:

Has there been a consensus here as to how long it takes for the Greencard and SSN to be mailed out? Activated Jan 18, and online USCIS account has no updates from when I created the account on Jan 03.

Paid the $220 USCIS fee prior to activating.

Not stressed about it per se, just curious.
mine took about a month for the green card and about 2ish weeks for the SSN