• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2019 Oceania Selectees

Tomorrow we are going to the DMV to attempt to renew our CA drivers licenses that expired in 2002! I believe this should work, but we’ll see...

Agreed, but I didn't realize they would automatically move the card from secured to unsecured without me asking for that to happen. But maybe it's a common thing.

Yeah - they want to get you onto the secured cards, so they tend to send back the deposit after a few months or a year and expand your credit limit.

Tomorrow we are going to the DMV to attempt to renew our CA drivers licenses that expired in 2002! I believe this should work, but we’ll see...

Yeah that process seemed a bit random. I had a UK DL and they got me to take a driving test and a written test. My wife had a Spanish DL and she only had to do the written. Seemed kind of "up for negotiation" or depending on who you spoke to.

Yeah that process seemed a bit random. I had a UK DL and they got me to take a driving test and a written test. My wife had a Spanish DL and she only had to do the written. Seemed kind of "up for negotiation" or depending on who you spoke to.
Each state has its own rules and reciprocity agreements. I didn’t think California had reciprocity with Spain? Most everyone I know who has moved here has had to do the behind the wheel test.

Edit: your wife definitely got lucky, seems CA has no foreign reciprocity at all...
“If you have a DL from another country, you will be required to take a driving test. If you have a DL from another state, the driving test may be waived.” https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy&urile=wcm:path:/dmv_content_en/dmv/dl/dl_info

That said, they definitely give a different test to a first time driver license applicant and someone who needs to be relicensed from elsewhere.

Each state has its own rules and reciprocity agreements. I didn’t think California had reciprocity with Spain? Most everyone I know who has moved here has had to do the behind the wheel test.

Edit: your wife definitely got lucky, seems CA has no foreign reciprocity at all...
“If you have a DL from another country, you will be required to take a driving test. If you have a DL from another state, the driving test may be waived.” https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy&urile=wcm:path:/dmv_content_en/dmv/dl/dl_info

That said, they definitely give a different test to a first time driver license applicant and someone who needs to be relicensed from elsewhere.

Yup! Simon’s wife got lucky. I was required to do the driving test in CA even with my valid Canadian driver license. My husband on the other hand presented an expired TX driver license and got waived off of the road test.

A place for Oceania Selectees to talk about the process, support each other and laugh.
hi Mijoro,

1. I part of DV2020 selective and my case number is 2020OC18** do you think i shall proceed with DS260 or not. Its a High case number.
2. Do you think this kind of case number have a chance to get interview during Current .

hi Mijoro,

1. I part of DV2020 selective and my case number is 2020OC18** do you think i shall proceed with DS260 or not. Its a High case number.
2. Do you think this kind of case number have a chance to get interview during Current .

1. Don’t put in your DS-260 form yet.
2. It’s too early to tell, in the past folks with those kind of case numbers have not been able to have interviews but it’s a case of wait and see.

Make sure you head over to the Oceania 2020 thread and keep an eye on what’s going on with the Oceania selectees.

What are you guys doing about car rental and car buying? Car rental seems very expensive, it seems a better option to just buy a basic car and run with that for awhile?

As for driver licences, it seems I need to do both the written and practical test. Which is probably ok since I have no experience with driving on that side of the road anyway. Hopefully my brain is up for the total reversal of everything.

I’m going to buy a cheap car initially Facebook market place is great for that. Also get into the App Store and download an app called DMV genie.

Thanks, is there any problems with a new resident buying a car on an international licence??
You might be able to buy it but being able to insure it will be a whole other ball game. Plus depending on the state you can only drive with an overseas license for so long before you’re legally required to get one from your home state.

Also get familiar with the different types of titles they use and the insurance difference between them. Clean title, salvage title etc

Thanks, is there any problems with a new resident buying a car on an international licence??
You might be able to buy it but being able to insure it will be a whole other ball game. Plus depending on the state you can only drive with an overseas license for so long before you’re legally required to get one from your home state.

We were able to both buy and insure cars on our international licenses. Usually the premiums will fall once you get your US license.

What do you mean? Registration at the DMV? Well of course, that’s part of buying the car.

Oh right, I think that's what I mean. I seem to be confusing myself. For some reason I thought you need to physically change plates when buying a car but I guess that must be only for new cars from a dealer

Oh right, I think that's what I mean. I seem to be confusing myself. For some reason I thought you need to physically change plates when buying a car but I guess that must be only for new cars from a dealer
Well you can if you get custom plates but they all have to be ordered through the dmv.