• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2019 Oceania Selectees

So, as I said, above, we’ll be activating next Wednesday at SFO. Does anyone know if they have a specific line in immigration for ‘new immigrants’ or do you just line up with every one else?
They do, but they also sometimes just direct people into different lines according to queue lengths. So head towards it but you may be directed elsewhere.

Not sure about the comment above about “no easy signs”, there are always signs. (For sure there is no sign for “advanced parole” because it’s not a status of entrant, it’s a travel document.) It’s usually USC/LPR and then all others, but sfo and a few others have a new immigrant line, and some have separate usc and LPR lines (like SNA). New immigrants who don't have a dedicated line go to the non-usc/lpr line.

Last edited:
So, as I said, above, we’ll be activating next Wednesday at SFO. Does anyone know if they have a specific line in immigration for ‘new immigrants’ or do you just line up with every one else?

At SFO you line up in a visitors line - and sometimes there is a new immigrants line. They will typically take you to a secondary area for the paperwork. it's a short process if there is no line in secondary.

Anyone know if LA has an immigrant line?
no special immigrant line (that I saw)... when I first got into the immigration area, one of the ladies there saw my envelope and advised I could skip the passport check (automated machines when you first arrive) and joined the line... the loooonnggg line ... the verrrrrrryyyyy loooooonnnngggg line!!!!
I just had to wait it out like everyone else, when I finally got to the CPB officer, he had to call someone else to "process" me ... they just opened the envelope, checked my details and confirmed my address in the US. He stamped my passport, wrote my alien number next to the stamp and welcomed me to the US.

We are getting ready for our interview in June :) it is asking to provide an address for our green card to be mailed to. We do not know anyone in the US and do not know where we will be going, what would you recommend putting in there at this stage?

I have a similar problem and been stressing myself out with this! I used a hotel address on the DS-260 form. I don’t have a US address to give them at the interview (in July) and don’t know what I should do if they ask. I’m also unlikely to have one to provide at POE for the GC, as I literally have zero family or friends living in the US. Was considering staying at an extended stay apartment until the GC arrives, but given it can take up to a few months, that option might not be possible.

I haven't logged on here for a while (busy with work) but it's great to see everyone who's been a regular finally starting to get their status!

Out of curiosity, did anyone enter in the DV-2020 lottery when entries were open? I entered as a fallback measure and logged on and saw I was selected again for OC in the low 100 range (I was below 500 in DV-2019). I was quite surprised as I've seen people here in OC enter numerous years and haven't had much luck in selection.

I saw a question earlier about transferring currency over to the US... I've been making transfers between Citi Australia to Citi US using their Citi Global Transfer. The service is "free" and instant and their rate (1 AUD = 0.67 USD) seems closer to the wholesale 0.69 USD rate at the moment but also marginally better than most other Australian banks, which also charge a small fee for each transfer (CBA/Westpac: 0.65 USD). I've been hoping the currency would move up a bit to the low 70 cent range, but potential RBA cash rate cuts and falling Australian Government bond yields it seems the only way is down.

If I ever get to arange an interview, it will be "interesting" to see how the interviewing officer reacts to the fact that the Australian Defence Force simply doesn't issue original or certified records, only print-outs, even when the reason for sending the records is for immigration purposes. Both my wife and I have the same problem.

If I ever get to arange an interview, it will be "interesting" to see how the interviewing officer reacts to the fact that the Australian Defence Force simply doesn't issue original or certified records, only print-outs, even when the reason for sending the records is for immigration purposes. Both my wife and I have the same problem.
You won't be the first immigrant from Australia to have served in the military...

I haven't logged on here for a while (busy with work) but it's great to see everyone who's been a regular finally starting to get their status!

Out of curiosity, did anyone enter in the DV-2020 lottery when entries were open? I entered as a fallback measure and logged on and saw I was selected again for OC in the low 100 range (I was below 500 in DV-2019). I was quite surprised as I've seen people here in OC enter numerous years and haven't had much luck in selection.

I saw a question earlier about transferring currency over to the US... I've been making transfers between Citi Australia to Citi US using their Citi Global Transfer. The service is "free" and instant and their rate (1 AUD = 0.67 USD) seems closer to the wholesale 0.69 USD rate at the moment but also marginally better than most other Australian banks, which also charge a small fee for each transfer (CBA/Westpac: 0.65 USD). I've been hoping the currency would move up a bit to the low 70 cent range, but potential RBA cash rate cuts and falling Australian Government bond yields it seems the only way is down.
Did you open the Us one in America or can you do it online. I have a Citibank account here and was think thinking of doing the same. The instant transfer is very tempting as is their transfer exchange rate.

Did you open the Us one in America or can you do it online. I have a Citibank account here and was think thinking of doing the same. The instant transfer is very tempting as is their transfer exchange rate.

I had to travel to the US for the sole purpose of opening a bank account there. Couldn't find a way of doing it otherwise.

The address issue I can imagine is annoying. Not sure if it is possible or allowed, but sometimes mail forwarding companies, like AusPost's ShopMate will list a physical address unique to you.

I just typed into Google "physical address mail forwarding" which delivered some good looking results.

I've never done this nor recommend it, just an alternative idea to explore.

Renting stand alone property from Australia would be pretty difficult, but it could be easier to find a room mate from house share websites before you arrive.

@Mijoro how did you go with sending your remaining visa documents to the consulate?
Hey

I am waiting on my change of name certificate to be issued. I called them this morning. Apparently it’s another 20 day wait. They have charged my cc already so that’s a good sign. Once I have it in hand I will express it back to the Sydney office.