• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2019 Oceania Selectees

My appointment was at 11:30 this morning and I was SUCCESSFUL!!!!!

I do have to send them in an amended birth certificate but I was approved and the officer congratulated me. I am so happy.

Thank you to @Britsimon @Sm1smom @SusieQQQ @Aidyn @kb's quest and everyone else who helped with information and support. This forum is priceless and a place every DV winner should come to.

I will write a full report as soon as I finish my celebratory apple cider.

24EACBDA-68B5-4761-A6A9-EA920A93BD91.jpeg

So how does health insurance work?

I get a temp one here?

http://britsimonsays.com/health-insurance-for-new-immigrants/

Then once I enter the US I enrol here for a better deal? My understanding is new immigrants can enrol even if enrolments are closed?

https://www.healthcare.gov/

"My understanding is new immigrants can enrol even if enrolments are closed? "

Correct - and the healthcare.gov plans are generally good plans although employer provided plans are normally better and less expensive.

Good luck.

Three more weeks and then I'm off. Wish i could leave tomorrow. My final days at work here are like time is going backwards almost. Just want to get over there and get things organized, very hard to do anything from this part of the world.

I've had to make a quick overseas trip to the US in the time between my interview being scheduled and my actual interview (which isn't until June). Is there any organisation I need to inform or any forms to update?

Does anyone know how far out before your interview can you get your medical done? We don't have a qualified Dr where I live and would have to fly to Brisbane to get my medical testing done.
The medical last 6months, i had mine done 3 weeks before my interview but you need to enter the US in that 6 month period of the medical.

Interview Report

My interview was on the 21st of May. I flew to Sydney the night before so I could be well rested and have plenty of time to be alone with my nerves and not drive everyone in the house bonkers.

Checked in to the Sofitel Wentworth, beautiful hotel right in the middle of the CBD.
Dropped off the bags and went for a stroll up to the MLC building to see how long it would take as I am a notoriously slow walker. It took exactly 7mins going the long way and 5 mins the short way.

After a sleepless night (woke up just about every hour on the hour in case I slept in) I got ready and went down to check out the breakfast buffet which is included as part of the stay. Not impressed so I was happy it was free.

Dropped bags at the concierge and headed for the interview. At this point I am strangely calm…. like calm before the storm calm.

Walk to the MLC building and buy some water to chug prior to the interview as I know you cant take any in and my mouth has become bone dry… hello nerves my old friend.
*sidenote There is a massive eatery underneath the MLC building with a whole range of options for eating and drinking. So if you’re in the mood to eat you can do so at the MLC building before or after.

Took the elevator to level 8 which is marked as LOBBY, its weird because there is a sign that says take the elevator to level 8 to access level 10 etc but inside the elevator there is no level 8 marked.

So I go up to level 8 and then up again to level 10 when you come out to the elevators you turn to your left and then you will see a rope and a sign that says to go one side for visas and the other is for american citizens. DO NOT go past the end of the rope, I walked to the door and was promptly shouted at by a security guard. Yikes!

When you get called to go inside you go to a desk with two ladies there who will sort through your documents and be sure to bring your covering letter that gets emailed to you. After that its a quick security check and metal detector. Ensure that you bring minimal things aside from your phone and documents. They give you a number and then you wait for the next elevator.

While waiting I noticed another couple come to collect their things and from the look on their faces the news had not been good. I saw that they had the same documents and cover letter as I did so I assume that their interview had not been successful, at this point my nerves went into over drive.

My self and another lady were called to go up to the embassy and we entered the elevator with a number of security personnel. We were given very clear instructions what to do when the elevator stopped.

When you go inside the embassy be sure to get a ticket right away, I noticed that a number of people came in and sat down for about 10- 20 mins before realising that they had to print a ticket.

The Interview

I took my ticket and my number was called instantly, a lovely lady took my finger prints and went through my documents ensuring that I had everything required. I was then directed to go and pay for my visa. You can pay using credit card, money order and cash. There is not eftpos so be aware of that prior to going. After paying I had to go back to the window and give the receipt to the lady who put it with my documents and told me to take a seat to be interviewed.

As others have said there is no privacy when being interviewed. There is a TV playing a video about America but the sound was turned down and most people seemed to be too nervous to concentrate on it anyway.

There were approximately 10 people waiting when I sat down. 4 others during the time I was there were there for Diversity Visa interviews as well and the rest were either spouse, intent to marry or family sponsorship.

A gentleman before me was called to the counter, he appeared to be quite disheveled in appearance. During his interview he kept trying to correct the interviewing officer about “how things work in Australia” it was uncomfortable to say the least and everyone in the office was fascinated by the exchange. He was asked a lot about his educational history as he had an associates degree and was currently studying but had only brought his entrance score rather than his Senior Certificate. He was also asked extensively about his financial situation being a student but in the end seemed to satisfy the case officer and was congratulated and told he was successful.

During the previous guys interview he informed the case officer that he had paid to have someone fill out his paperwork and entry each year. When asked how much he had paid I believe the amount he said was in the vicinity of $4000.

Another couple with an infant had come in expecting to get their visa only to be told their infant would require a passport to enter the united states. This seemed to come as a surprise to the couple and I believe their paperwork was partially completed.

Next up was yours truly, I felt like butterflies were going to erupt out of my stomach like a scene from Alien. The case officer like everyone else I encountered was lovely. When asked how I was I replied “nervous and vomity” that made him laugh and he put me at ease very quickly. Tip, just pretend that its only you and the case officer there and ignore that everyone can hear what you are saying.

He asked me the following questions in no particular order.

What visa was I applying for?
Where was I planning on living?
Where was my husband from?
Was he an American citizen?
Why had I not applied for a spousal visa?
Did we have any children together?

He then informed me that while he could see that I was using my mothers maiden name and had a stat dec from the early 90’s that I would have to apply for a name change and get it noted on my birth certificate.

He asked me what date I was planning on moving over to the United States and said they would do everything they could to get it done by that date. I asked him if I got the name change certificate and sent it in would I have a chance of being successful and he replied. You are already successful pending receipt of the name change. He said as soon as they get that they will print the visa right away and send me back my passport. He gave me a yellow letter to send with the certificate and said CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

I let out a cheer and everyone in the waiting room laughed.

I hope that helps those who are currently waiting and gives you a bit of clarity on how the process works and to ensure that you have all of the correct documentation.

Again thank you to the amazing Admin, Mods and members of this wonderful group.

Was planning to activate on the 4th of July. For purely kitsch reasons I thought it would be nice to become and American on Independence Day!

Interview Report

My interview was on the 21st of May. I flew to Sydney the night before so I could be well rested and have plenty of time to be alone with my nerves and not drive everyone in the house bonkers.

Checked in to the Sofitel Wentworth, beautiful hotel right in the middle of the CBD.
Dropped off the bags and went for a stroll up to the MLC building to see how long it would take as I am a notoriously slow walker. It took exactly 7mins going the long way and 5 mins the short way.

After a sleepless night (woke up just about every hour on the hour in case I slept in) I got ready and went down to check out the breakfast buffet which is included as part of the stay. Not impressed so I was happy it was free.

Dropped bags at the concierge and headed for the interview. At this point I am strangely calm…. like calm before the storm calm.

Walk to the MLC building and buy some water to chug prior to the interview as I know you cant take any in and my mouth has become bone dry… hello nerves my old friend.
*sidenote There is a massive eatery underneath the MLC building with a whole range of options for eating and drinking. So if you’re in the mood to eat you can do so at the MLC building before or after.

Took the elevator to level 8 which is marked as LOBBY, its weird because there is a sign that says take the elevator to level 8 to access level 10 etc but inside the elevator there is no level 8 marked.

So I go up to level 8 and then up again to level 10 when you come out to the elevators you turn to your left and then you will see a rope and a sign that says to go one side for visas and the other is for american citizens. DO NOT go past the end of the rope, I walked to the door and was promptly shouted at by a security guard. Yikes!

When you get called to go inside you go to a desk with two ladies there who will sort through your documents and be sure to bring your covering letter that gets emailed to you. After that its a quick security check and metal detector. Ensure that you bring minimal things aside from your phone and documents. They give you a number and then you wait for the next elevator.

While waiting I noticed another couple come to collect their things and from the look on their faces the news had not been good. I saw that they had the same documents and cover letter as I did so I assume that their interview had not been successful, at this point my nerves went into over drive.

My self and another lady were called to go up to the embassy and we entered the elevator with a number of security personnel. We were given very clear instructions what to do when the elevator stopped.

When you go inside the embassy be sure to get a ticket right away, I noticed that a number of people came in and sat down for about 10- 20 mins before realising that they had to print a ticket.

The Interview

I took my ticket and my number was called instantly, a lovely lady took my finger prints and went through my documents ensuring that I had everything required. I was then directed to go and pay for my visa. You can pay using credit card, money order and cash. There is not eftpos so be aware of that prior to going. After paying I had to go back to the window and give the receipt to the lady who put it with my documents and told me to take a seat to be interviewed.

As others have said there is no privacy when being interviewed. There is a TV playing a video about America but the sound was turned down and most people seemed to be too nervous to concentrate on it anyway.

There were approximately 10 people waiting when I sat down. 4 others during the time I was there were there for Diversity Visa interviews as well and the rest were either spouse, intent to marry or family sponsorship.

A gentleman before me was called to the counter, he appeared to be quite disheveled in appearance. During his interview he kept trying to correct the interviewing officer about “how things work in Australia” it was uncomfortable to say the least and everyone in the office was fascinated by the exchange. He was asked a lot about his educational history as he had an associates degree and was currently studying but had only brought his entrance score rather than his Senior Certificate. He was also asked extensively about his financial situation being a student but in the end seemed to satisfy the case officer and was congratulated and told he was successful.

During the previous guys interview he informed the case officer that he had paid to have someone fill out his paperwork and entry each year. When asked how much he had paid I believe the amount he said was in the vicinity of $4000.

Another couple with an infant had come in expecting to get their visa only to be told their infant would require a passport to enter the united states. This seemed to come as a surprise to the couple and I believe their paperwork was partially completed.

Next up was yours truly, I felt like butterflies were going to erupt out of my stomach like a scene from Alien. The case officer like everyone else I encountered was lovely. When asked how I was I replied “nervous and vomity” that made him laugh and he put me at ease very quickly. Tip, just pretend that its only you and the case officer there and ignore that everyone can hear what you are saying.

He asked me the following questions in no particular order.

What visa was I applying for?
Where was I planning on living?
Where was my husband from?
Was he an American citizen?
Why had I not applied for a spousal visa?
Did we have any children together?

He then informed me that while he could see that I was using my mothers maiden name and had a stat dec from the early 90’s that I would have to apply for a name change and get it noted on my birth certificate.

He asked me what date I was planning on moving over to the United States and said they would do everything they could to get it done by that date. I asked him if I got the name change certificate and sent it in would I have a chance of being successful and he replied. You are already successful pending receipt of the name change. He said as soon as they get that they will print the visa right away and send me back my passport. He gave me a yellow letter to send with the certificate and said CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

I let out a cheer and everyone in the waiting room laughed.

I hope that helps those who are currently waiting and gives you a bit of clarity on how the process works and to ensure that you have all of the correct documentation.

Again thank you to the amazing Admin, Mods and members of this wonderful group.

Wonderful news. Congratulations!!!

I've had to make a quick overseas trip to the US in the time between my interview being scheduled and my actual interview (which isn't until June). Is there any organisation I need to inform or any forms to update?
you don't need to update anyone or anything - I made several trips to the US after my DS-260 was processed and my interview date, none of those were mentioned

How’s the job hunt going @Aidyn?
You received your ss card after a week of arriving and will get your physical green card shortly as well right... that’s pretty awesome getting it all sent out with in a month.