• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2019 Oceania Selectees

Hi everyone

So I’m an Ozzie and applied for my DV entry in Aus and managed to get selected. However, I am currently in Canada on a work visa for the next year and won’t be able to return home for an interview. When I’m on the DS form that I need to fill out, there isn’t an option for me to select a place in Canada to do my interview. What should I do? I’ve reached out to KCC but they gave me a generic response that wasn’t helpful.

Each country only has one US embassy or consulate that deals with immigrant visas. In Canada, that’s Montreal.
If your work visa is only for the next year, where you interview may depend on when your case number gets current. When exactly does your visa expire? And what is your case number (x out last two digits)? Moving the case between countries can add a couple months’ delay. Some people actually fly back to their home countries for interview to avoid potential problems like this - would that not be an option for you?

Each country only has one US embassy or consulate that deals with immigrant visas. In Canada, that’s Montreal.
If your work visa is only for the next year, where you interview may depend on when your case number gets current. When exactly does your visa expire? And what is your case number (x out last two digits)? Moving the case between countries can add a couple months’ delay. Some people actually fly back to their home countries for interview to avoid potential problems like this - would that not be an option for you?

My visa expires in 2021 so I can stay for another year if it makes things less complicated and my case number is 1XX. Since it’s a low case number, I do think it’s worth doing it over here in Canada. What are your thoughts?

My visa expires in 2021 so I can stay for another year if it makes things less complicated and my case number is 1XX. Since it’s a low case number, I do think it’s worth doing it over here in Canada. What are your thoughts?
Oh yeah, that’s really low. Should be totally fine then.

When are you planning on moving to the United States

When are you planning on moving to the United States
I’m thinking mid next year if it’s even possible that I get my green card on time! I’m going to request my HS certificate from the government back home today before I fill out my DS260 form. Do you know when I have to fill out the form by?

“KCC does not have the ability to retrieve or make changes to the data that was provided on the original entry to the lottery.
Please complete the DS-260 form with the correct information. Once received at KCC, the information will be included in your case file for review.
The DV interviewing Post for Canada is Montreal. You can find the website for that U.S. Embassy or Consulate, which will include information such as the address and hours of operation”

I’m just going to change my address on my DS260 form to my Canadian address and see how it goes!

“KCC does not have the ability to retrieve or make changes to the data that was provided on the original entry to the lottery.
Please complete the DS-260 form with the correct information. Once received at KCC, the information will be included in your case file for review.
The DV interviewing Post for Canada is Montreal. You can find the website for that U.S. Embassy or Consulate, which will include information such as the address and hours of operation”

I’m just going to change my address on my DS260 form to my Canadian address and see how it goes!

The only caution to the wind I would mention having gone through multiple E3 visas and now the DV process is that consulates in foreign countries (even fellow commonwealth ones) sometimes will take longer to 'verify' documents as they do not know what a HSC certificate from AUS looks like, AFP certificates etc. Many fellow Aussies at my company have experienced delays in processing in Canada and the UK for their E3 visas due to this.

The only caution to the wind I would mention having gone through multiple E3 visas and now the DV process is that consulates in foreign countries (even fellow commonwealth ones) sometimes will take longer to 'verify' documents as they do not know what a HSC certificate from AUS looks like, AFP certificates etc. Many fellow Aussies at my company have experienced delays in processing in Canada and the UK for their E3 visas due to this.

This is a valid point - the staff at any particular consulate will be aware of what that country's HS certification is like, but we have seen in the past occasional delays in DV cases when the consulate needs to check with the home country consulate. If there is a university degree around it's possible that the consulate will accept that as enough proof of meeting the DV education requirement.

Thanks for flagging! I'm curious as to why it would take them longer to 'verify' a document that explicitly states "Higher School Certificate"...

Thanks for flagging! I'm curious as to why it would take them longer to 'verify' a document that explicitly states "Higher School Certificate"...

Because anyone can produce a document from the internet that “explicitly states ‘Higher School Certificate’” hence the need for proper vetting and verification.

Because anyone can produce a document from the internet that “explicitly states ‘Higher School Certificate’” hence the need for proper vetting and verification.

What mom said, plus, for some countries just getting a “high school certificate” is not enough qualification for DV - some require particular subjects to have been taken or grades to have been achieved for equivalency with a US diploma.

Hi All! Congratulations! I got selected with a case number in the 500s so hopefully I get to make it! I have already completed my DS-260 forms, does anyone know if this is too early?

Hi All! Congratulations! I got selected with a case number in the 500s so hopefully I get to make it! I have already completed my DS-260 forms, does anyone know if this is too early?
Your CN is quite low, DS260 form submission in this case is not too early.

Congrats, my number in 2019 was mid 500s and I was interviewed in April so I'd say you're pretty safe. As to it being too early to submit your DS-260, I won't say one way or the other but my suggestion would be to read as much as you can on this forum plus Brits blog and learn everything you can. The chances of you needing to unlock your DS-260 and change things is quite high, I think I updated mine twice. :)

]

I lost site of the fact that your CN is chargeable to the OC region - OC50x is NOT necessarily quite low such as to warrant an early DS260 submission like you did. It however is low enough for it to become current in 2020.

Thank @Aidyn for your contribution

Green Card Question: - I'm probably getting ahead of myself, because I haven't even got our passports back from the consulate yet... But I'm a bit confused about getting the actual green card. As a DV selectee, you have to put down on the DS260 where you want the card sent - but do you have to actually pay a $220 US fee (for each card) to USCIS before they'll send it to that address? Or is the fee paid at POE? Or is there no fee ?

Green Card Question: - I'm probably getting ahead of myself, because I haven't even got our passports back from the consulate yet... But I'm a bit confused about getting the actual green card. As a DV selectee, you have to put down on the DS260 where you want the card sent - but do you have to actually pay a $220 US fee (for each card) to USCIS before they'll send it to that address? Or is the fee paid at POE? Or is there no fee ?
Yes, it is per card. Paid online. You should get instructions when you get your passports back.

Ok silly question time.... Did y'all prefill out your name and address on the satchel for the return of passports etc for the interview?