• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2019 Oceania Selectees

The Auckland Consulate is going to be sick of me, that's for sure. I have emailed them five times in the last month (they are very good at replying). The latest is that the medical forms they sent me don't match the numbers of the forms in the instructions they also sent me. Confusing.

As an aside, I have mentioned before i went though this process for dv-2003 but had to leave the US a few months later for personal reasons. I spoke to the consulate about this maybe 5 years ago and they don't think it will be a problem as they consider the GC abandoned, but do you think it could complicate the interview?

The Auckland Consulate is going to be sick of me, that's for sure. I have emailed them five times in the last month (they are very good at replying). The latest is that the medical forms they sent me don't match the numbers of the forms in the instructions they also sent me. Confusing.

As an aside, I have mentioned before i went though this process for dv-2003 but had to leave the US a few months later for personal reasons. I spoke to the consulate about this maybe 5 years ago and they don't think it will be a problem as they consider the GC abandoned, but do you think it could complicate the interview?
I don't know if it will be an issue or not but as Simon and everyone else always say just be truthful if you are asked

Yeah I already mentioned it in the ds-260 form you submit and they still scheduled me for an interview so I think I'm ok.

Anyone Know of a Good/Cheap shipping companies to ship items to the US. I live on the Gold Coast.
Just thought i'd ask before i start calling around for a shipping company. Cheers

@Mathew540 it is expensive to move pets, but moving our cat with us was a big help for our kids to feel at home. Just something you might want to consider. That said, renting can be harder with pets, though at least where we are it’s much easier to rent with a dog than with a cat (doesn’t really make sense to me).

@JNR007 1 year to maintain green card but 6 months if you don’t want to have to restart your 5-year naturalization clock on your next entry.

Hi Susie, So the start date for the 1 Year is that from when you are aproved at the interview or from when you enter the US and activate the Visa/Green Card. So I could wait the first 6 months then go to the US for an activation trip and come back and have 1 year before moving over permently? I just need to make my film first.

You need to go over before your medical expires. When leaving you could apply for an exit pass/visa thing and come back. Most customs understand that folks have things to tie up. But make sure you go before the expiry date on your medical.

Obtaining a reentry permit prior to leaving the United States allows a permanent or conditional permanentresident to apply for admission into the United States during the permit'svalidity without the need to obtain a returning resident visa from a U.S. Embassy or Consulate abroad.

Permanent residents are free to travel outside the United States, and temporary or brief travel usually does not affect your permanent resident status.

If it is determined, however, that you did not intend to make the United States your permanent home, you will be found to have abandoned your permanent resident status.

A general guide used is whether you have been absent from the United States for more than a year. Abandonment may be found to occur in trips of less than a year where it is believed you did not intend to make the United States your permanent residence.

While brief trips abroad generally are not problematic, the officer may consider criteria such as whether your intention was to visit abroad only temporarily, whether you maintained U.S. family and community ties, maintained U.S employment, filed U.S. income taxes as a resident, or otherwise established your intention to return to the United States as your permanent home.

Other factors that may be considered include whether you maintained a U.S. mailing address, kept U.S. bank accounts and a valid U.S. driver’s license, own property or run a business in the United States, or any other evidence that supports the temporary nature of your absence.

Hi Susie, So the start date for the 1 Year is that from when you are aproved at the interview or from when you enter the US and activate the Visa/Green Card. So I could wait the first 6 months then go to the US for an activation trip and come back and have 1 year before moving over permently? I just need to make my film first.

After you interview, you need to enter by the expiry date on your visa. This is maximum 6 months but often shorter as it’s based on medical expiry. You can have a one year absence without being automatically presumed to have abandoned your green card (though, the closer to a year you push that, the more questions you may get on re+entry). So that counts as one year from the date you leave the US. Bear in mind an absence longer than 6 months breaks the naturalization residence count.

You can apply for a re-entry permit which allows an absence up to 2 years without being presumed to abandon residency, but you’d need to remain in the US approximately a month while that’s being sorted out, application & biometrics have to be done within the US.

SusieQQQ is amazing as always with the info. If we haven’t said it before I’ll say it now you guys are bloody wonderful with the help you give us. Thaaaaaaank you for taking the time to help us.

Just thinking ahead - is it possible to open a US bank account outside of the US? I'm guessing not.

And I see that we are around the same number bracket with you in the 900’s and me in the 800’s
:) So close! My only worry now is the financial scenario if it is bought up at the time of interview...I have accumulated enough as ‘recommended’ in many posts before however it’s tied up mostly at this point in time in the form of my annual leave payout which I will cash in when I leave my job... I stupidly went and paid off most of my outstanding debts late last year with a majority of my savings... trying to rathole a whole heap now just in case but that I believe would be my only issue when it comes to the interview.

I am planning on the activation trip post interview, and coming back for a few months to save as much as I can here and finalise everything before moving over for good. I am in a good situation where I don’t have to worry about finding a place to buy to live or forking out money for rent when I am in the USA so hopefully thay will play in my favor :confused:

:) So close! My only worry now is the financial scenario if it is bought up at the time of interview...I have accumulated enough as ‘recommended’ in many posts before however it’s tied up mostly at this point in time in the form of my annual leave payout which I will cash in when I leave my job... I stupidly went and paid off most of my outstanding debts late last year with a majority of my savings... trying to rathole a whole heap now just in case but that I believe would be my only issue when it comes to the interview.

I am planning on the activation trip post interview, and coming back for a few months to save as much as I can here and finalise everything before moving over for good. I am in a good situation where I don’t have to worry about finding a place to buy to live or forking out money for rent when I am in the USA so hopefully thay will play in my favor :confused:

I’m planning on doing a quick trip across after the interview should I be successful and then come back and smash out the hours for work and move towards the end of the year.

Thankfully the state I’m planning on moving to has reasonable rent etc and I work in an industry that should be pretty easy for me to get a job.