• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2019 AOS Only

Hi Mom,

First of all, I would like to thank you so much for guiding me through this stressful process. I could not have done this without your help and advice. All the information that's on this thread as well as the AOS Process Spreadsheet was extremely valuable and helpful. With that being said, I would like to share my timeline and interview experience. Hope this helps the future applicants a bit!

Case Number: AS12XXX
Current: July 2019

My timeline:

06/18/19 DS-260
06/27 DV fee sent
07/08 DV Fee Receipt Received
07/24 AOS Package Sent (USPS)
07/30 AOS Package Accepted
08/05 NOA Received
08/09 BIO Letters received
08/22 BIO Appointment (we didn't do walk-in)
08/28 Sent request to Congressman's office to help set up an Interview
09/06 Congressman's office received an email from USCIS saying "additional research time is required" (up to 30 days) to respond.
09/06 Congressman's office was aware of the 9/30 deadline and reached out to my FO
09/12 Called 1800 USCIS number, spoke with Tier 2 officer, and requested a service request initiated
09/13 IO from my FO called me to schedule an interview (no interview letter)***
09/16 Interview
09/19 CPO
09/20 Card mailed
09/23 GC Received

***When IO called me, she said she could fax me an interview letter, but after I told her that I don't have a fax number and asked if she could email me one, she said they don't email them. But she also said I would not need an interview letter and told me to just come to FO and gave me a specific suite number within the building.

Interview Experience:

We had a little bit of difficulty getting into the building because the security expected us to have an interview letter, but we explained our situation and they let us in.
The interview went very smooth, and all we did was to confirm the original documents (birth certificate, marriage certificate, high school diploma, etc.) and to go over the entire Form I-485. I was on different visas in the past 11 years (F-1, OPT, L-1B. and H-1B), and IO asked for all the documents that proved my legal status for the entire period. I had all the originals of I-20s, EAD, I-129, I-797s, and the document check went very smoothly. The IO was very nice and we got out within 45 minutes.
After the interview, we waited in the waiting room for a while, and the IO let us in again to take a photo and confirm our fingerprints. We then received a letter on the spot saying, "Congratulations! Your Application for Adjustment of Status (I-485) has been approved."

Hello @Sm1smom

The miracle has just happened and my GC got approved!

There are no words that can explain how much I am thankful for all your time Mom!

This all wouldn’t have happened without your help @mom, directions, advise, and the responses to all of the people’s questions in this great forum. The spreadsheet is invaluable and I can call it the bible of DV process, it is really a bible and one would not need anything throughout the DV journey

And above all you are doing all of this for free, and that’s very noble and generous of you! I am just imaging how much would it have been costed me if I were to hire a lawyer (who does exist in this DV process). We all know that many applicants have reported that their lawyer had screw up their cases and some caused their case to be denied, but it we imagine that a lawyer could it then I would say they would charge minimum $ 4000 for sure. So thank you again for helping me and others in such stressful and painful process.

Just as a modest thanks to you Mom, could you please let me know how can I donate some money as a gift in return to your valuable time and support for all of us in this forum?

Here are my case details:

Package my package on 6/6/19

Acceptance: 7/2/19

Payment Cashed 7/2/19

NOA Letter Received on 7/6/19

Bio letter received on 7/12/19

Actual Bio date (couldn’t do walk-in) 7/24/19

Interview date 8/28/19

I have attended my interview on 8/28, it was very stressful and very long, it took about 3 hours and officer asked about everything included in my package , at the end she said she will need to do further review,.

One week later I received another letter requesting me to attend another interview on 9/18 and they have requested me to provide further evidences and documentation that is specific to my case – so nothing generic that I can share in here.

I attended the second interview on 9/18 and that was even more stressful then the first one. It also took about 3.5 hours, I have been asked all the questions that is related to my pending status with USCIS and also about other things such as my military service, my previous trips to the U.S and other countries, and many many other questions. The officer was somehow very serious, but professional at the same time. At the end she said she still need to do further review and that will let me know the decision by mail and assured to me that they are aware of the DV timeline, so I could do nothing at this point other than wait and see!

Today the miracle happened, everything changed in the USCIS rapidly. From case approved, to new card produced and mailed. I just can’t believe that it happened at the end.

Thanks a million again Mom, and I really appreciate all your time and efforts again!

Hello @Sm1smom

The miracle has just happened and my GC got approved!

There are no words that can explain how much I am thankful for all your time Mom!

This all wouldn’t have happened without your help @mom, directions, advise, and the responses to all of the people’s questions in this great forum. The spreadsheet is invaluable and I can call it the bible of DV process, it is really a bible and one would not need anything throughout the DV journey

And above all you are doing all of this for free, and that’s very noble and generous of you! I am just imaging how much would it have been costed me if I were to hire a lawyer (who does exist in this DV process). We all know that many applicants have reported that their lawyer had screw up their cases and some caused their case to be denied, but it we imagine that a lawyer could it then I would say they would charge minimum $ 4000 for sure. So thank you again for helping me and others in such stressful and painful process.

Just as a modest thanks to you Mom, could you please let me know how can I donate some money as a gift in return to your valuable time and support for all of us in this forum?

Here are my case details:

Package my package on 6/6/19

Acceptance: 7/2/19

Payment Cashed 7/2/19

NOA Letter Received on 7/6/19

Bio letter received on 7/12/19

Actual Bio date (couldn’t do walk-in) 7/24/19

Interview date 8/28/19

I have attended my interview on 8/28, it was very stressful and very long, it took about 3 hours and officer asked about everything included in my package , at the end she said she will need to do further review,.

One week later I received another letter requesting me to attend another interview on 9/18 and they have requested me to provide further evidences and documentation that is specific to my case – so nothing generic that I can share in here.

I attended the second interview on 9/18 and that was even more stressful then the first one. It also took about 3.5 hours, I have been asked all the questions that is related to my pending status with USCIS and also about other things such as my military service, my previous trips to the U.S and other countries, and many many other questions. The officer was somehow very serious, but professional at the same time. At the end she said she still need to do further review and that will let me know the decision by mail and assured to me that they are aware of the DV timeline, so I could do nothing at this point other than wait and see!

Today the miracle happened, everything changed in the USCIS rapidly. From case approved, to new card produced and mailed. I just can’t believe that it happened at the end.

Thanks a million again Mom, and I really appreciate all your time and efforts again!

What a fantastic outcome. Congratulations! I’m quite happy for you.

Just pick any charitable organization of your choice and make the donation in my honor if you feel inclined to make a donation.

Enjoy your new status.

What a fantastic outcome. Congratulations! I’m quite happy for you.

Just pick any charitable organization of your choice and make the donation in my honor if you feel inclined to make a donation.

Enjoy your new status.

Thank you very much from the bottom of my heart @Sm1smom. I will defiantly do that in your honor!

I don’t think your FO will entertain a request for an earlier interview - their workload was taken into consideration before they scheduled your interview, they have other cases they’re equally dealing with and your scheduled date is still within FY deadline.

All you can hope for at this point is for an approval immediately following the interview or shortly after.

Dear Sm1smom,
I attended my interview on Tuesday (09/24) and yesterday my status was updated to "card production" and today to "case was approved".
I would like to join everyone else thanking you and this community for the invaluable support and help.

The interview was straightforward - the officer asked me ALL the questions on the I-485 form but did not need to see any original documents.
At the end they asked if I had any questions and I politely mentioned the Sept 30 deadline for diversity visa. IO said "I am well aware of the deadline" and did a half smile (!) but added that they needed to review my case and could not give me a time frame.

Overall the experience was a stressful but surprisingly quick in my case (I submitted in my I-485 at the end of July).

Thank you again for everything you do. This forum is really a godsend.

Dear Sm1smom,
I attended my interview on Tuesday (09/24) and yesterday my status was updated to "card production" and today to "case was approved".
I would like to join everyone else thanking you and this community for the invaluable support and help.

The interview was straightforward - the officer asked me ALL the questions on the I-485 form but did not need to see any original documents.
At the end they asked if I had any questions and I politely mentioned the Sept 30 deadline for diversity visa. IO said "I am well aware of the deadline" and did a half smile (!) but added that they needed to review my case and could not give me a time frame.

Overall the experience was a stressful but surprisingly quick in my case (I submitted in my I-485 at the end of July).

:) Congratulations

Thank you all especially @Sm1smom for your advice! I was very lucky to be able to complete the process before the end of the FY.

Here is my timeline:

07/28/19 DS-260
07/29 DV fee sent
08/06 DV fee receipt received
08/07 AOS package sent (UPS)
08/15 AOS package accepted
08/21 NOA received
08/23 BIO letter received
09/03 BIO appointment (walk-in declined)
09/03 Phone call to schedule an interview
09/06 Interview letter received
09/09 Interview
09/09 CPO
09/12 Card mailed
09/16 GC Received

Although it was a stressful experience overall, I was amazed and blessed by how efficient the process was, especially the IO at the FO. They were well aware of the DV timeline and acted quickly. The interview was smooth and they requested proof of status (enrollment verification, transcript, and visa in my case). They asked about my field and the I-485 questions. They then said they would run my background check immediately and should call in two days if my online status didn't change, but it did. I am so grateful to have found this forum with all the help available!

Hi we had our interview on 9/25th Wednesday. Everything went great and obut we were not approved on the spot. Officer said he will do it by friday (today). Still it is not approved and we have only one working day till September 30th. Is there anything we can do about this?

Hi we had our interview on 9/25th Wednesday. Everything went great and obut we were not approved on the spot. Officer said he will do it by friday (today). Still it is not approved and we have only one working day till September 30th. Is there anything we can do about this?

Not much you can do, I’m afraid, outside of being patient and keeping your fingers crossed over the weekend. You can try a walk-in INFOPASS to your FO on Monday morning though to plead your case if there’s no update by then.

I think there is no more infopass option to go to FO. Isn't it?

That’s why I wrote “try a walk-in INFOPASS”. I know booking an INFOPASS is no longer an option, (even if booking is still an option, it is highly doubtful you’ll find a slot for Monday as of today) which is why I didn’t suggest that in the first place.

Hi Mom,
just two more questions, not directly related to DV, but thought that you may be able to help:

1- Now that i received my GC through DV, what is the process to apply for unrestricted SSN ? the one i have now (through my pending asylum) has through " valid for work only with DHS authorization" on it?

2- Now that i have adjusted my status and got my GC, do i need to withdraw my asylum application? I looked online and saw that some people who changed their status through marrying a USC while being on pending asylum and have withrdrawn their asylum after receivig the GC, but some others didn't do it...so not sure what is recommended in my case! Can you please shed some light based on your knowldge of the previous DV winners similar to my case ?

Thanks

Hi Mom,
just two more questions, not directly related to DV, but thought that you may be able to help:

1- Now that i received my GC through DV, what is the process to apply for unrestricted SSN ? the one i have now (through my pending asylum) has through " valid for work only with DHS authorization" on it?

2- Now that i have adjusted my status and got my GC, do i need to withdraw my asylum application? I looked online and saw that some people who changed their status through marrying a USC while being on pending asylum and have withrdrawn their asylum after receivig the GC, but some others didn't do it...so not sure what is recommended in my case! Can you please shed some light based on your knowldge of the previous DV winners similar to my case ?

Thanks

1. Visit SSA office and apply for a replacement SSN card. You’ll need take your GC along.

2. Yes, write to your asylum office stating you wish to withdraw the asylum petition.

Dear Sm1smom,

I received my GC in the mail today. I still can't believe it happened!