• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2019 AOS Only

Thank you Mom for your complete response.

Mentioning the financial documents another important question just came into my mind. I have paid all taxes by 2017 and I have recently received W-2 form for 2018 but I have not got through the tax return process because in my university, Human resource people set up meetings which the students complete their tax return in and they are usually held at the end of March when I will have probably sent my package. Could it be a reason for my petition to be rejected. I have already prepared the full transcripts of the years 2015 to 2017 though.

Another question is: suppose that I could provide a bank statement that says I have around 22,000 USD in my account. Do I still need to fill I-134 Affidavit of support? Is that a required documents for financial support part?

Thank you for your patience Mom

1. No.

2. Probably not. Yes, the I-134 is a DV based AOSer who is deemed likely to become a public charge will be required to present in order to overcome that.

I have some questions on I-485.

There is a question in Page 2, Part 1, Item 20.a of I-485 form as follows.

Place of Last Arrival into the United States

I will give some background about my current status.
  1. My last arrival to USA was in February 2018 and I entered USA through Abu Dhabi international airport.
  2. My spouse, child as I faced the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) facility at Abu Dhabi Airport (US Pre-clearance facility).
  3. After that we flew to USA and landed in JFK Airport in New York.
  4. From JFK we flew to Columbus, Ohio (which was our last destination).
  5. Since we faced U.S. Customs and Border Protection in Abu Dhabi Airport, Our I-94 travel history shows, arrival location as AUH (Abu Dhabi International Airport)
My H-1B visa got expired in December 2018 and we applied for an extension. As a result of that, we received I-797A H-1B Extension Approval.
  1. My latest I-797A H-1B Extension Approval shows a new I-94 number in the bottom left corner of I-797A paper.
  2. When I received I-797A H-1B Extension Approval, I was in Columbus, Ohio.

Questions:

Question 1) Given above listed history, which of the following is the correct answer for Place of Last Arrival into the United States?
  • Abu Dhabi - The place we faced US CBP
  • New York - The first airport we touched the US soil
  • Columbus, OH - My last destination/ place I received the I-797A H-1B Extension Approval
Question 2) I received a new I-94 number which is printed in the bottom left corner of I-797A paper. Should I use that number in all the places in I-485 and all other AOS related forms?

Thank you!

I have some questions on I-485.

There is a question in Page 2, Part 1, Item 20.a of I-485 form as follows.

Place of Last Arrival into the United States

I will give some background about my current status.
  1. My last arrival to USA was in February 2018 and I entered USA through Abu Dhabi international airport.
  2. My spouse, child as I faced the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) facility at Abu Dhabi Airport (US Pre-clearance facility).
  3. After that we flew to USA and landed in JFK Airport in New York.
  4. From JFK we flew to Columbus, Ohio (which was our last destination).
  5. Since we faced U.S. Customs and Border Protection in Abu Dhabi Airport, Our I-94 travel history shows, arrival location as AUH (Abu Dhabi International Airport)
My H-1B visa got expired in December 2018 and we applied for an extension. As a result of that, we received I-797A H-1B Extension Approval.
  1. My latest I-797A H-1B Extension Approval shows a new I-94 number in the bottom left corner of I-797A paper.
  2. When I received I-797A H-1B Extension Approval, I was in Columbus, Ohio.

Questions:

Question 1) Given above listed history, which of the following is the correct answer for Place of Last Arrival into the United States?
  • Abu Dhabi - The place we faced US CBP
  • New York - The first airport we touched the US soil
  • Columbus, OH - My last destination/ place I received the I-797A H-1B Extension Approval
Question 2) I received a new I-94 number which is printed in the bottom left corner of I-797A paper. Should I use that number in all the places in I-485 and all other AOS related forms?

Thank you!

1. Abu Dhabi

2. Yes.

1. Abu Dhabi

2. Yes.

1. Abu Dhabi

2. Yes.

Thanks @Sm1smom!

So, as I understand from your reply,

I-485, Page 2, Part 1, Item 20.a (Place of Last Arrival into the United States ): Abu Dhabi

I-485, Page 2, Part 1, Item 23.a (Form I-94 Arrival-Departure Record Number): The I-94 number I received about 1 year after while in residing in Columbus, Ohio (even though it is different from the Abu Dhabi issued I-94 number)

I hope my understanding is correct. Very sorry for repeating this. I feel it is bit strange to combine two records from 2 different events happened, with about 1 year time gap.

Thank you for your prompt response mom. So the fact that there is nothing on the USCIS website for DV lottery applicants means this is not officially required, yet it could be asked by some FOs? I mean, does providing such a document in the AOS package make the case any stronger?

@mechanici23,

1) So, are you planning to include an evaluation for HS certificate?

2) If so, is that an online service and can you please let me know if you have already find a place to do that?

3) How long will it take?

Thanks @Sm1smom!

So, as I understand from your reply,

I-485, Page 2, Part 1, Item 20.a (Place of Last Arrival into the United States ): Abu Dhabi

I-485, Page 2, Part 1, Item 23.a (Form I-94 Arrival-Departure Record Number): The I-94 number I received about 1 year after while in residing in Columbus, Ohio (even though it is different from the Abu Dhabi issued I-94 number)

I hope my understanding is correct. Very sorry for repeating this. I feel it is bit strange to combine two records from 2 different events happened, with about 1 year time gap.

1. Place of arrival is for the purpose of determining if you entered the country legally and were inspected, or not.

2. I-94 is for determining if you still have a current status in the US.

The two records serve different purpose. You obviously can’t put Columbus because that is not were you were inspected and admitted. You can’t put the previous I-94 either since that is now expired.

1. Place of arrival is for the purpose of determining if you entered the country legally and were inspected, or not.

2. I-94 is for determining if you still have a current status in the US.

The two records serve different purpose. You obviously can’t put Columbus because that is not were you were inspected and admitted. You can’t put the previous I-94 either since that is now expired.

Thanks @Sm1smom! I really appreciate your help!

Hi Britsimon:
Thank you for the prompt reply. Because the waiting time is longer than average time, I have no idea about it. Maybe you and mom are right
Be patience and wait for the online status change.

The USCIS website mentions that "It has been more than 30 days since you received your welcome notice but you have not received your new card." I can call USCIS to address it. Well, 30 days is a long time....
https://www.uscis.gov/tools/after-receiving-decision

Thank you for the help!!

So just be patient and let USCIS deal with answering the phone that actually have a problem.

May be this question has been asked and answered before. But I did a search and I couldn't find it.

I was going through the Part 2 Application Filing Category of I-485. I am sure I have to select Diversity Visa Program as the category in my I-485.

My questions is about I-485 for my spouse and child.

1) Should we select Diversity Visa Program for them (my dependents) in their I-485 also?

2) One of my colleagues who is applying for AOS based on DV visa has,
  • Selected Other Eligibility check box for his dependents' I-485 forms (under Page 3, 1.g Additional Options )
  • And in the given text box mentioned the category for spouse and child as "Dependent of Diversity Visa".
Is this approach followed by colleague a correct approach?

May be this question has been asked and answered before. But I did a search and I couldn't find it.

I was going through the Part 2 Application Filing Category of I-485. I am sure I have to select Diversity Visa Program as the category in my I-485.

My questions is about I-485 for my spouse and child.

1) Should we select Diversity Visa Program for them (my dependents) in their I-485 also?

2) One of my colleagues who is applying for AOS based on DV visa has,
  • Selected Other Eligibility check box for his dependents' I-485 forms (under Page 3, 1.g Additional Options )
  • And in the given text box mentioned the category for spouse and child as "Dependent of Diversity Visa".
Is this approach followed by colleague a correct approach?

Both options are saying the same thing regarding eligibility - DV program.

The referenced form on the spreadsheet is outdated - need to update the info (thanks for pointing it out). Use the current edition on USCIS’s website with the expiration date of 6/30/2019

thank you

another question

I had a couple of documents translated by a certified general accountant in Canada and I was wondering if I can submit those or they have to be translated by a certified translator.

thank you

another question

I had a couple of documents translated by a certified general accountant in Canada and I was wondering if I can submit those or they have to be translated by a certified translator.

Do the translated documents have certified statements attached to them attesting to the fluency of the translator in both English and the language the document were translated from? That is the requirement regarding translated documents.

Document Translation

Hi Mom and fellow AOSers,

Just an update: I mailed my AOS Package off to Chicago Lockbox via FedEx today. Very excited (and nervous) for the whole process to begin!

I have included some images to show how I assembled my Package in hopes that it might help others. Thank you to everyone who gave me any advice along the way - I really appreciate it.
View attachment 982View attachment 983View attachment 984View attachment 985View attachment 986
Here is the order I stacked my documents in. This was also stated on my Cover Sheet. I used the order instructions from here as a good reference: (link listed in AOS Spreadsheet) - as well as the order in which the AOS Package is listed in the AOS Spreadsheet.
_ _ _

- x1 Personal Check of $1,225 - Filing Fee ($1,140) and Biometrics ($85)
- x2 Identical recent color Passport photos
- Form I-693 - Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record (Sealed Envelope)
- Form G-1145 - e-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance
- Form I-485 - Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status

SUPPORTING EVIDENCE:

Evidence of Eligibility: (Blue)
- Copy of DV-2019 Selectee Notification Letter
- Copy of AOS Notification Letter from KCC
- Copy of DV Administration Fee Payment Receipt of $330 to Department of State

Identification Documents: (Yellow)
- Copy of Birth Certificate
- Copy of current Passport biographic and photograph page
- Copy of US Visa: E3
- Copy of current I-94

Educational Documents: (Pink)
- Copy of High School Certificate
- Copy of Certificate of Applied Learning
- Copy of University Degree

Employment Documents: (Green)
- Employment Verification Letter
- Copy of SSN/Social Security Card
- Copy of W-2’s
- Copy of most recent Pay Stubs

Financial Support Documentation: (Cream)
- Copy of 2017 Tax Return Transcript
- I-134 Affidavit of Support
I-134 Supporting Evidence (Provided in Duplicate):
- Copy of Sponsor’s US Passport and California Drivers License
- Copy of Sponsor’s 1099’s (x3)
- Copy of Sponsor’s 2016 Form 1040 - Tax Return Summary Page
- Copy of Sponsor’s Bank Statements (x3)
_ _ _

Each section of the Supporting Evidence was individually held together with small Binder Clips, with a colored sheet of paper acting as a cover sheet for visual reference to what each section holds. I also used Paper Clips to assemble documents with multiple pages.

I then used two large Binder Clips to hold the whole stack together and placed the entire package inside a large Zip-Lock bag (protect from any rain or damp weather). The package then went inside a padded envelope with a piece of foam core board underneath to prevent the package from bending and creasing during travel.

I hope this helps anyway yet to send off their's. Please see the photos for visual references. And of course, happy to answer any questions about my Package.

Thank you to Mom and everyone else who's responded for your help. I will continue to update my Timeline and let you know any breaking news as the process goes forward.

:)

@pittsandpieces, this is really nice and useful information! Thanks for sharing this! Wish you all the best!

@pittsandpieces, this is really nice and useful information! Thanks for sharing this! Wish you all the best!

@pittsandpieces, I have few questions on packaging the AOS application.

I have few questions on that.

1) In your pictures, there is something which looks like an envelope. Do we have to send a self addressed, self stamped envelop with AOS package?

2) I noticed that another member has asked, if you have used any staplers at all (did not see an answer for that). I am also curious to know that. So, we do not have to staple even the 18 pages of same I-485 together?

3) The color coding used in the documents: Are those sticky tabs of various colors?

I would appreciate if @Sm1smom or any other member can also help with these questions.

@pittsandpieces, I have few questions on packaging the AOS application.

I have few questions on that.

1) In your pictures, there is something which looks like an envelope. Do we have to send a self addressed, self stamped envelop with AOS package?

2) I noticed that another member has asked, if you have used any staplers at all (did not see an answer for that). I am also curious to know that. So, we do not have to staple even the 18 pages of same I-485 together?

3) The color coding used in the documents: Are those sticky tabs of various colors?

I would appreciate if @Sm1smom or any other member can also help with these questions.

I already provided guidance on how to on the AOS process spreadsheet. Anyway, you can start by going over USCIS Filing Tips

I already provided guidance on how to on the AOS process spreadsheet. Anyway, you can start by going over USCIS Filing Tips

Thanks @Sm1smom! I went through the AOS Package Assembly Section of the spreadsheet and USCIS Filing Tips, before asking this question :).

1) USCIS Filing Tips say "Do not use heavy-duty staples; instead use fasteners or heavy clips". I was wondering, even if it is not suitable to use regular staples (not heavy duty staples)

2) Did not find any mention about a self addressed, self stamped envelop in spreadsheet. So, I assume we do not have to send any self addressed, self stamped envelop.

Thanks @Sm1smom! I went through the AOS Package Assembly Section of the spreadsheet and USCIS Filing Tips, before asking this question :).

1) USCIS Filing Tips say "Do not use heavy-duty staples; instead use fasteners or heavy clips". I was wondering, even if it is not suitable to use regular staples (not heavy duty staples)

2) Did not find any mention about a self addressed, self stamped envelop in spreadsheet. So, I assume we do not have to send any self addressed, self stamped envelop.

In that case, don’t over analyze what you’ve read or are reading. Just keep it simple and don’t make life difficult for those that will disassemble and process the forms - don’t staple them, heavy duty or not. Use paper clips! Use fasteners!