• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2019 AOS Only

Hi! Thanks for all the useful info! I have a quick question: we are completing our DS260 for my husband and me, but our two kids are American, so I guess we won't be doing a form for them, just listing them as dependents? how does that work? Because on our form they are listed, but there is no USA for the option "country of origin"...

Hi! Thanks for all the useful info! I have a quick question: we are completing our DS260 for my husband and me, but our two kids are American, so I guess we won't be doing a form for them, just listing them as dependents? how does that work? Because on our form they are listed, but there is no USA for the option "country of origin"...

Just list them on you and your spouse’s DS260 forms, you don’t fill the form for them since they’re already USC.

Hello everybody,
my wife and I are in US with F1 visa. I am selected for DV 2019 with AS8** case number.

for next semester my wife will be transferring to another university in different state which is relatively far from our current state. after her I will try to transfer to her new university but it can takes 6 months to 1 year.
do you think the matter that we are residents of two different far states in the time of filing I-484 or even in the time of interview can be a problem to receive GC? if yes, what is the solution?

Thank you

Hello everybody,
my wife and I are in US with F1 visa. I am selected for DV 2019 with AS8** case number.

for next semester my wife will be transferring to another university in different state which is relatively far from our current state. after her I will try to transfer to her new university but it can takes 6 months to 1 year.
do you think the matter that we are residents of two different far states in the time of filing I-484 or even in the time of interview can be a problem to receive GC? if yes, what is the solution?

Thank you

Yes listing different home addresses on your AOS forms matters, it means you’ll get different interview dates in different locations. If the derivative’s case get scheduled before the main selectee, that interview will either not proceed or if it proceeds, it will not be approved until after the main selectee has been interviewed and approved.

And I’m assuming she’s planning on moving before you guys file. If you guys move after filing, you introduce some delays into your case as USCIS will need to transfer your case file to the new FO with jurisdiction over wherever you move to.

The genuineness of your marriage could also come under close scrutiny, so be prepared to proof your marriage is genuine.

Yes listing different home addresses on your AOS forms matters, it means you’ll get different interview dates in different locations. If the derivative’s case get scheduled before the main selectee, that interview will either not proceed or if it proceeds, it will not be approved until after the main selectee has been interviewed and approved.

And I’m assuming she’s planning on moving before you guys file. If you guys move after filing, you introduce some delays into your case as USCIS will need to transfer your case file to the new FO with jurisdiction over wherever you move to.

The genuineness of your marriage could also come under close scrutiny, so be prepared to proof your marriage is genuine.

1- she will move before we file but I am planning to list a same home address for both of us when I am filing I485, our current address. because my wife will come back weekends and holidays so consequently I think we should get scheduled in same date and FO. do you agree? and also receiving her bank statements in the address can be proof of that she is living there.
2- in other words, the matter she is student in other state but home address is in my state is an issue?
I am so confused about how deal with this moving matter and really appreciate any suggestion

3- As regards genuineness of marriage, how can I proof our marriage? which documents I can prepare? marriage certificate is not enough?

1- she will move before we file but I am planning to list a same home address for both of us when I am filing I485, our current address. because my wife will come back weekends and holidays so consequently I think we should get scheduled in same date and FO. do you agree? and also receiving her bank statements in the address can be proof of that she is living there.
2- in other words, the matter she is student in other state but home address is in my state is an issue?
I am so confused about how deal with this moving matter and really appreciate any suggestion

3- As regards genuineness of marriage, how can I proof our marriage? which documents I can prepare? marriage certificate is not enough?

1. Yes that works.
2. No, not in this case based on your plan.
3. Nope, not enough. Things like evidence of joint assets/expenses, joint financial accounts, things like mortgage/lease, medical/dental insurance, life insurance, utility bills, with both of you listed; photos from trips taken together, etc are additional useful items.

Hello, I'm on F-1 visa and have my AOS pending dependent on my wife. I also won the DV lottery with case number 4 thousand. My F1 is still valid for another year, but I may receive and use the EAD from my current application before Oct 2019. I have heard that using the EAD work authorization means that I will lose my back up status (F1) and if I don't have any backup state, I won't be able to file my DV concurrently anymore.

1) Does using my EAD cause that I cannot file the DV anymore?
2) Does applying the concurrent AOS cases have any shortcoming on my GC process?
3)Which case between dependent AOS and DV is more likely to get to the green card faster.

Thank you

Hello, I'm on F-1 visa and have my AOS pending dependent on my wife. I also won the DV lottery with case number 4 thousand. My F1 is still valid for another year, but I may receive and use the EAD from my current application before Oct 2019. I have heard that using the EAD work authorization means that I will lose my back up status (F1) and if I don't have any backup state, I won't be able to file my DV concurrently anymore.

1) Does using my EAD cause that I cannot file the DV anymore?
2) Does applying the concurrent AOS cases have any shortcoming on my GC process?
3)Which case between dependent AOS and DV is more likely to get to the green card faster.

Thank you

1. No it doesn’t. Using the AOS pending EAD just means you wouldn’t have a fall back status if that AOS petition gets denied before you file your DV AOS. You can definitely file your DV based AOS petition as long as your other petition is still pending, or you’re still maintaining your F1 status.

2. No.

3. DV based AOS petitions are typically faster. However in your case, it depends:
- on how long your other AOS petition has been pending,
- your DV CN and when it becomes current.

1. No it doesn’t. Using the AOS pending EAD just means you wouldn’t have a fall back status if that AOS petition gets denied before you file your DV AOS. You can definitely file your DV based AOS petition as long as your other petition is still pending, or you’re still maintaining your F1 status.

2. No.

3. DV based AOS petitions are typically faster. However in your case, it depends:
- on how long your other AOS petition has been pending,
- your DV CN and when it becomes current.

Thank you for your response, my final questions is about ds-260
Does submitting ds-260 mandatory? and what happens if I submit and not file my DV AOS later?

Hi there,

Firstly thank you so much for taking the time to create this blog!! I've been reading through lots of stuff and it has been really helpful! Thank you again. It's greatly appreciated!

I was selected for the lottery this year. I cannot believe my luck! I've been applying each year for 20 years now. My CN is 2019OC000000XX. I understand having a low CN is a good thing? Mine is under 25.

I submitted the DS-260 last week for my husband and myself. We noticed we made a mistake on a date of employment. Is there a way to go through and correct this? Should we do this straight away? I already tried but the DS-260 is currently locked.

I also was curious about how long the 2NL usually takes to come through. Do I need to do anything further than complete and submit both DS-260's to receive the 2NL?

Thank you again and I look forward to your response.

Last edited:
Thank you for your response, my final questions is about ds-260
Does submitting ds-260 mandatory? and what happens if I submit and not file my DV AOS later?

1. No it’s not mandatory. However I recommend doing so, it enables KCC to know of your decision to process AOS which helps them with their planning.

2. In your case, nothing. You’ve already demonstrated an immigrant intent with your ongoing AOS petition anyways.

Hi there,

Firstly thank you so much for taking the time to create this blog!! I've been reading through lots of stuff and it has been really helpful! Thank you again. It's greatly appreciated!

I was selected for the lottery this year. I cannot believe my luck! I've been applying each year for 20 years now. My CN is 2019OC000000XX. I understand having a low CN is a good thing? Mine is under 25.

I submitted the DS-260 last week for my husband and myself. We noticed we made a mistake on a date of employment. Is there a way to go through and correct this? Should we do this straight away? I already tried but the DS-260 is currently locked.

I also was curious about how long the 2NL usually takes to come through. Do I need to do anything further than complete and submit both DS-260's to receive the 2NL?

Thank you again and I look forward to your response.

1. That’s a great CN, will become current in October so congratulations on being nicely rewarded for your persistence.
2. It’s really not a big deal, but if you really feel like correcting it, you’ll need to email KCC and request for them to unlock the form. Instructions on how to contact KCC is on your 1NL (selectee notice)
3a. Could take anything between 2 weeks to a couple of months.
3b. Nothing further in order to receive the 2NL.

Meanwhile, I recommend you go through the AOS process spreadsheet and familiarize yourself with it if you’re not doing so already.

I won the lottery with AS4XXX.
I also applied for asylum =, but I am in legal f1 status.
My address is different from what it was in my application.
Have I lost something that would come to my previous apartment?
How much my asylum application will affect my dv lottery assuming I will be on the legal status?
What should I do first? fill DS 260?

Last edited:
I won the lottery with AS4XXX.
I also applied for asylum =, but I am in legal f1 status.
My address is different from what it was in my application.
Have I lost something that would come to my previous apartment?
How much my asylum application will affect my dv lottery assuming I will be on the legal status?
What should I do first? fill DS 260?

1. No
2. It shouldn’t assuming you were still in a legal status when you filed for asylum.
3. Go through the AOS process spreadsheet to ensure you understand what a DV based AOS process entails.

1. No
2. It shouldn’t assuming you were still in a legal status when you filed for asylum.
3. Go through the AOS process spreadsheet to ensure you understand what a DV based AOS process entails.
I am working on EAD based on f1 visa. I don't think I lost my legal status as I never applied for ead based on asylum.

Where is the spreadsheet? can you give me a link?

Hi Mom. This is my first post. I’m so thankful for this resource, and for the generous community here. My question: I was recently selected for further processing and had a question about my eligibility for AOS. I’m currently on an E-3 visa, and after some reading, I’m worried I may have technically violated my status. My employer has been issuing me 1099s for bonuses over the years and my fear is that this may count as “unauthorized employment,” making me ineligible for AOS. I was still issued a W-2, but some of my income came from 1099s (issued by the same employer). Will I have any issues here? I don’t want to lose both my E-3 and my chance at a green card. Thank you in advance for any help.

Hi Mom. This is my first post. I’m so thankful for this resource, and for the generous community here. My question: I was recently selected for further processing and had a question about my eligibility for AOS. I’m currently on an E-3 visa, and after some reading, I’m worried I may have technically violated my status. My employer has been issuing me 1099s for bonuses over the years and my fear is that this may count as “unauthorized employment,” making me ineligible for AOS. I was still issued a W-2, but some of my income came from 1099s (issued by the same employer). Will I have any issues here? I don’t want to lose both my E-3 and my chance at a green card. Thank you in advance for any help.

Sorry I don’t know the technicalities of how you should have been paid as an E3 status holder.