• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2019 AOS Only

1. A rejected package will not show up in the system because there’s no acceptance receipt number assigned to it. It will just show up in your mailbox.

2. A rejected package will show up before the 30 days stated Time is up.

3. I wouldn’t recommend sending another package while the status of your first package is still unknown.
Thank you Mom, fingers crossed i will hear something from them before July 9th. If not I will check with you again on the next step.

Hi,

Just had my interview this morning in Federal Plaza NY: the officer was nice, polite and casual - a pleasant experience.
Apparently he is the only person who takes care of diversity visa cases: he mentioned that he got a lot more submissions recently and showed me a pile of folders on his desk - there is probably a bunch of you there.

It was over in 15min:
- Oath; you have to do that standing up! Don't get comfortable too quickly ;)
- Asked for my passport and driver's license - he made copies on the way out
- Only requested the docs pointed out in the G-56 Notice: Employment verification letter + new pay stubs + original birth certificate
- Went through the I-485 to confirm address, full name, birth date, a few of the Yes/No questions
And that was it.

At the end, he hand delivered me a notice to say that my case was under review but mentioned said that's normal procedure before he puts the approval in the system and I should expect status updates in the afternoon.
I talked about my next travel and told me I should call the USCIS 800 number to get a stamp once I get approved but said I might not need it since GC would arrive fairly quickly in the mail.

I'll keep you posted with USCIS Online updates!

Hey all - just had my interview at NY F.O. All went really well. The officer was very friendly and not at all like the scary immigration people at USA airports. After searing the oath he asked for birth certificate and financial records ( I gave him some pay slips and a job offer) Than just went through security questions. Said he will send all the cases for the day for processing at EOD for final security clearance which should pass as he had already done the preliminary one. Said should be cleared by EOD and green card to arrive in 7-10 days. I guess my question is do they send the green card by registered mail where you need to sign for it or normal mail. Im going to be out of town for a few days next week and may be sent while i'm not there so want to make sure it wouldn't be left at my apt building and potentially lost. Thanks again Mom for all help on this process- been a big help!

Hi,

Just had my interview this morning in Federal Plaza NY: the officer was nice, polite and casual - a pleasant experience.
Apparently he is the only person who takes care of diversity visa cases: he mentioned that he got a lot more submissions recently and showed me a pile of folders on his desk - there is probably a bunch of you there.

It was over in 15min:
- Oath; you have to do that standing up! Don't get comfortable too quickly ;)
- Asked for my passport and driver's license - he made copies on the way out
- Only requested the docs pointed out in the G-56 Notice: Employment verification letter + new pay stubs + original birth certificate
- Went through the I-485 to confirm address, full name, birth date, a few of the Yes/No questions
And that was it.

At the end, he hand delivered me a notice to say that my case was under review but mentioned said that's normal procedure before he puts the approval in the system and I should expect status updates in the afternoon.
I talked about my next travel and told me I should call the USCIS 800 number to get a stamp once I get approved but said I might not need it since GC would arrive fairly quickly in the mail.

Wow- i must have gone just before you at NY FO as i had pretty much the same experience, id say we had the same guy as well as he fits the description. Like i said in my reply, basically had the exact same experience and he asked for all the same things as he did for you.!

not at all like the scary immigration people at USA airports.

Am I like the only person here who has consistently had nice CBP officers (just one exception in more than two decades...)
You want scary immigration officers, Croatia and Russia did it for me lol. Surly and unfriendly - go via heathrow (not other UK airports, just LHR...)

/back to topic

And a third person from NYC here!....Just had my interview this morning too. Think we all had the same (friendly) IO. My experience almost exactly the same as Vladoo + Cuz above in terms of process (10-15mins overall and very straightforward - similar to Vladoo's list - with the same status wait for his EOD procedural paperwork / final security checks. IO mentioned that greencard should be sent sometime 'next week'. IO also asked for my I-508 form (even though I'm on E3) . I didn't question it and handed over pre-filled out one as requested in Interview letter.

One thing to note for NYC candidates was the Borough in which you reside vs mailing address. NYC has 3 FOs. I reside in Brooklyn but always had Manhattan (work) mailing address on all forms and was allocated to the MTN FO. This caused minor confusion initially (as I should technically have been allocated to the Brooklyn FO)....but seemed fine in the end as the IO was familiar with casefile. Will keep you updated on online status/card production/gc...A big thanks Mom/Susie/Britsimon et al for getting me this far!!

Online Status Update here too: "New Card is Being Produced".
Congrats Vladoo.
Congrats !! Can i ask where u check this....whats the receipt number. is that the A#? Sorry went in today as well and trying to check if i have an update too!

Hi,

Can you share any more info about calling USCIS 800 number for a stamp to travel before GC arrives? I am in a similar situation and think some travel plans might be very tight to accomodate if I need to wait for physical GC to arrive.

Thanks!

Can you share any more info about calling USCIS 800 number for a stamp to travel before GC arrives? I am in a similar situation and think some travel plans might be very tight to accomodate if I need to wait for physical GC to arrive.

Thanks!

He mentioned that if you are travelling within 7-10 days after being approved, which is a bad idea to be honest, you should follow these instructions:
1) Wait until you get approved online or CPO
2) Call USCIS Contact Center Number: 800 375 5283 - number provided on my NOA and on https://www.uscis.gov/contactcenter
3) Then they should see that you are approved online and ask them for I-551 stamp on your passport - Temporary GC
4) I guess it is like getting an infoPass; he mentioned that it would be in the same NY Federal Plaza building in my case.

Your pseudonym remind me an anecdote from this morning: the officer mentioned that he had only aussie (OC?) cases in the morning - I said that I was happy to diversify #i485icebreaker.

Hi, Mom and all

Sorry if this post seems a little bit awkward but this is what exactly happened to me and I really need your help now. I finally got my second interview letter and it is going to be August 5th. I asked a few lawyers but they refused to come with me saying that they must have been the attorney for the case from beginning. Anyway, according to my nationality I don't think bringing a lawyer may help that much. On the contrary, it could just raise the red flags. I wanted to share the weird questions the interviewer asked last time here and it would be deeply appreciated if you provide any reasonable answer you think. Any comments could be helpful and is highly appreciated.

First of all how likely is it to be interviewed by the same person?? The field office is still the same.

But these are the questions and weird comments:

1) How come you applied for permanent residency? Don’t you call us “Sheitan Kabir” (The big Satan)?

2) Will you kill us if we go to your country? You have arrested three hikers for nothing.

3) Have you ever applied for DV lottery? Why? ( I honestly said my father did twice when he was alive in Iran. Is that OK? or it might show my intention for immigrating to the US)

4) Have you ever been to Mecca? Are you "Haji"? (I am not. I am not religious honestly. I am muslin because my parents were and they were muslims just because their parents were!!! It does not mean I practice the religion. I don’t know if I should say that or it makes him think this guy is trying to deceive me!)

5) You are an Iranian and you won lottery. This is crazy, isn’t it?

6) Do you do “Ashura”? (I don’t. It is a religious lamentation)

7) You know our country does not have any relation with yours. why?

8) You took over U.S embassy after 1979 revolution. This is where this hostility starts from. (I think he is right but what does it have to do with me? I am Iranian but I have never been linked to any of these events)

9) You say you don’t intend to practice polygamy but you are muslim and you are allowed to take 4 wives.

10) After asking question 74 “Have you ever voted in violation of any regulations in the United State” he sarcastically added: “You didn’t vote for President Trump? Why? Don’t you like him?”

11) For the question about having been a member of any association, organization,… he kept on insisting that “come on! you should be a member of IEEE at least! and when I said I was not he asked what about “the group of Iranian students of your university?” I told him the truth that all the Persian students are automatically invited to such a group belonging to the university and he asked if I was active in the group and again I told the truth that I have never been and when the hold Persian traditional celebration (Norouz, Yalda, etc.) I just show up and have dinner and congrats other Iranians and leave. I am not sure if he wrote anything about it or made any amendments to my form. Anyway, I selected “NO” for the second time? Could this be a problem?

12) What if he asks about the recent events such as the drone Iran hit or the probability for a war? (God, these are totally none of my business)

Sorry for this lengthy and silly post but I really need your help.
Thank you so much for all the selflessness and kindness you have in helping people here. I really appreciate it.

Hi Mom,
Finally, today I received my Biometric Appointment Notice however it says Applicant copy. Would they accept that when I do walk in?
Thanks

Hi, Mom and all

Sorry if this post seems a little bit awkward but this is what exactly happened to me and I really need your help now. I finally got my second interview letter and it is going to be August 5th. I asked a few lawyers but they refused to come with me saying that they must have been the attorney for the case from beginning. Anyway, according to my nationality I don't think bringing a lawyer may help that much. On the contrary, it could just raise the red flags. I wanted to share the weird questions the interviewer asked last time here and it would be deeply appreciated if you provide any reasonable answer you think. Any comments could be helpful and is highly appreciated.

First of all how likely is it to be interviewed by the same person?? The field office is still the same.

But these are the questions and weird comments:

1) How come you applied for permanent residency? Don’t you call us “Sheitan Kabir” (The big Satan)?

2) Will you kill us if we go to your country? You have arrested three hikers for nothing.

3) Have you ever applied for DV lottery? Why? ( I honestly said my father did twice when he was alive in Iran. Is that OK? or it might show my intention for immigrating to the US)

4) Have you ever been to Mecca? Are you "Haji"? (I am not. I am not religious honestly. I am muslin because my parents were and they were muslims just because their parents were!!! It does not mean I practice the religion. I don’t know if I should say that or it makes him think this guy is trying to deceive me!)

5) You are an Iranian and you won lottery. This is crazy, isn’t it?

6) Do you do “Ashura”? (I don’t. It is a religious lamentation)

7) You know our country does not have any relation with yours. why?

8) You took over U.S embassy after 1979 revolution. This is where this hostility starts from. (I think he is right but what does it have to do with me? I am Iranian but I have never been linked to any of these events)

9) You say you don’t intend to practice polygamy but you are muslim and you are allowed to take 4 wives.

10) After asking question 74 “Have you ever voted in violation of any regulations in the United State” he sarcastically added: “You didn’t vote for President Trump? Why? Don’t you like him?”

11) For the question about having been a member of any association, organization,… he kept on insisting that “come on! you should be a member of IEEE at least! and when I said I was not he asked what about “the group of Iranian students of your university?” I told him the truth that all the Persian students are automatically invited to such a group belonging to the university and he asked if I was active in the group and again I told the truth that I have never been and when the hold Persian traditional celebration (Norouz, Yalda, etc.) I just show up and have dinner and congrats other Iranians and leave. I am not sure if he wrote anything about it or made any amendments to my form. Anyway, I selected “NO” for the second time? Could this be a problem?

12) What if he asks about the recent events such as the drone Iran hit or the probability for a war? (God, these are totally none of my business)

Sorry for this lengthy and silly post but I really need your help.
Thank you so much for all the selflessness and kindness you have in helping people here. I really appreciate it.

I’m sorry to learn none of the lawyers you reached out to is willing to attend your interview with you. That being the case, you don’t have any other choice but to attend the interview on your own and hope for the best. Yes it’s possible to see the same IO again - some FOs assign DV based AOS petitions to just one IO, especially if the FO is a small one.

The IO you saw was clearly being a jerk, keep your fingers crossed and hope you don’t get to meet with him again. If you do, be consistent with your answers (just in case he decides to ask those questions again. Keep your cool and politely answer the questions asked. The good thing is the reason for your initial denial was listed as early filing which is no longer applicable.

You do have the option of asking to speak with a supervisor and filing a formal complaint against the IO at the end of your interview if you experience the same hostile line of questioning though.

Best of luck!