• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2019 All Selectees

If it’s a genuine marriage sure you can, but the fact that you asked a question about what your husband must say when the interviewer asks him if he marries for a green card certainly shows this is a green card marriage! And that’s fraud.

Don’t you have cousins or aunts or uncles or something in the US you can stay with if the big problem is what the neighbors will say?? I’m sorry but I think this is a terrible reason to marry someone. Anyway unsolicited advice, if you’re brave enough to travel to the US to start a new life you can be brave enough to do it alone, you’re an adult legally right and your parents can’t stop you? But if you do feel the need to let them dictate to you then you probably need to give up on the US because from what you said it sounds like the only reason your husband will marry you is to get a green card. And they will figure it out and ban both of you from traveling to the USA ever again if you try a fraudulent arrangement like this.

Mom/Susie,

I might have missed this above, because I am rushing, but I think we need to put this in the context of fairly typical arranged marriages in that region. As we know, there are many such arranged marriages, and those marriages last a lifetime. It might sound like a GC marriage, but really it is more a requirement of a child by her parents as a stage in life and seen as common sense in that area. Given that, I would imagine the interviewers recognize these arrangements and know that they are as solid as marriages entered into through Western methods.

I don't have any relatives who lives there in america. As i said ''what my husband must say when the interviewer asks him if he marries for a green card certainly shows this is a green card marriage! And that’s fraud. '' ((Its a question raised by me and surely they will ask that question because I am marring late after 2NL)) i guess still 4 month left to receive my 2NL . Surely it will be genuine marriage .my parents and my husband parents also will be there and it will be done according to our Hindu culture and in our family all do arrange marriage no one in allowed to do love marriage.
If it means fraud to do arrange marriage after 2NL or I am disqualified for green-card its ok US is not in my fortune.
Can i hire a lawyer ?
because its going to happen a genuine marriage .

Thank you for your answers and time . it means so much to me . If you are bored or not interested in my this personal issue please tell me without any difficulty i will stop asking . still thank you very much for your previous replies. This thread is very helpful to many people like me with serious problem

Ok, so in view of Simon’s above post (thanks Simon :)), I have a better understanding of your culture and customs (situation). “Arranged marriage” is not unusual among the Nepali Hindus (thank you google).

Yes you can get married and add a spouse as a derivative. However, you need to get this done before your 2NL gets sent - that’s the easiest way to add a spouse. After the marriage, you unlock your DS260 form, updat your marital status and create a separate DS260 form for your spouse.

As to what your spouse should say if asked if he got married for the purpose of obtaining a GC, we unfortunately cannot coach you and him on how to answer that question. Both of you will need to come up with an appropriate response on your own.

And as for hiring a lawyer to help you through the process, I think you’ll only be throwing money away. No lawyer can guarantee the outcome of the interview. Just be truthful with any question asked, you’re interviewing in Nepal, so the COs are familiar with your customs.

All the best!

Mom/Susie,

I might have missed this above, because I am rushing, but I think we need to put this in the context of fairly typical arranged marriages in that region. As we know, there are many such arranged marriages, and those marriages last a lifetime. It might sound like a GC marriage, but really it is more a requirement of a child by her parents as a stage in life and seen as common sense in that area. Given that, I would imagine the interviewers recognize these arrangements and know that they are as solid as marriages entered into through Western methods.

I’m fully aware of the prevalence of arranged marriages - there is a certain part of my own ethnicity where they are petty common. I don’t have a problem with understanding the concept. But apart from it being clear that this girl is only considering it because she wants to go to the US (which is a problem entirely apart from any DV considerations, as is the question of what happens when she has married purely for local conventions and then finds herself in an entirely different society than that which shaped what she did)- my main concern is she first hinted at then avoided my direct question about what is in it for her husband to be, whoever that may end up being; if his main motivation is to get a green card, then it’s a green card marriage.

There are large Nepalese communities in the US, I know a few who immigrated in the past decade or so in fact (as teenage girls and they are now young women who definitely have no interest in arranged marriages, but that’s another story) - it’s a pity that the posters’s family doesn’t seem to know anyone who can “look after” her while she finds her own way here.

Anyway best of luck and hoping she finds a future that is right for her.

thank you for being kind and helpful to me but we are not allowed to marry other than our ethical group . It is considered as sin to marry other than our related cast group. My parents may cant handle that situation and i dont want to hurt them too? I will make choice when i meet the boy after 3 days they are coming so i will share my opinion about this . jay shree ram ji
Well, it's always your own choice. However, I know many Hindus migrated to countries like UK and USA alone, both men and women, without marriage. Some marry in their own ethnic group, others marry foreigners of different race, even different religion. None felt like it was a sin in Hindu or any other religion at all. I guess it is your local culture to think so. You should know the US is a very liberal country where people of all religions and races are given equal protection and legal rights.

I gave Gandhi's example, but he married the same person he was engaged to for many years before he left his country. You are not even engaged, and with many cases of fraudulent/convenience marriages, embassies are always careful with those who marry just before (dependency) visa issuance. It is seen as a "marriage of convenience" rather than genuine, so do it at your own peril. In your case I know I'd rather stay single, finish higher education, and emigrate only when mature. Anyway good luck in making the right choices in life.

Last edited:
thank you sir,
They came here (father and son) in my house. They looked me and we did some talk. Both of us our family are agreed for marriage . We are also agreed and we followed each other on Facebook too. We will do engagement at the same day of marriage (before marriage). According to our culture December 15 is the only day that is left for this year which is considered good day for marriage. But i guess at that time my 2NL will be already reached to embassy and interview date will also fixed.
Any solution sir?

thank you sir,
They came here (father and son) in my house. They looked me and we did some talk. Both of us our family are agreed for marriage . We are also agreed and we followed each other on Facebook too. We will do engagement at the same day of marriage (before marriage). According to our culture December 15 is the only day that is left for this year which is considered good day for marriage. But i guess at that time my 2NL will be already reached to embassy and interview date will also fixed.
Any solution sir?

Since Nepal numbers will move slower than the rest of Asia, there is a chance you will not get a 2NL before the marriage. If so, unlock immediately and add your husband to your DS260 and create a DS260 for him.

If the 2NL has been received, or KCC tell you they cannot unlock because you are about to be scheduled, then you will have to wait until the embassy has your case, and ask them to help you add your husband to your case. Same procedure, but the embassy control unlocking or not at that point.

Make sure you act quickly and are totally prepared as soon as possible after the marriage. No procrastination! By the way - if unlocking is possible - do it a few days BEFORE the marriage - because then you are ready to complete the procedure as soon as the marriage is complete.

Since Nepal numbers will move slower than the rest of Asia, there is a chance you will not get a 2NL before the marriage. If so, unlock immediately and add your husband to your DS260 and create a DS260 for him.

If the 2NL has been received, or KCC tell you they cannot unlock because you are about to be scheduled, then you will have to wait until the embassy has your case, and ask them to help you add your husband to your case. Same procedure, but the embassy control unlocking or not at that point.

Make sure you act quickly and are totally prepared as soon as possible after the marriage. No procrastination! By the way - if unlocking is possible - do it a few days BEFORE the marriage - because then you are ready to complete the procedure as soon as the marriage is complete.
will it create problem if I unlock DS260. Is it complete legit to unlock or not? if i add my husband to it will it create problem at the time of interview?

will it create problem if I unlock DS260. Is it complete legit to unlock or not? if i add my husband to it will it create problem at the time of interview?

I wouldn't tell you to do something that would cause a problem - however, from what you have said you cannot go without being married and you cannot marry sooner - so your concern is kinda pointless. As discussed above, the only real concern with new marriages is the concern of whether the marriage is real - or is it ONLY for the Green Card.

Hello
This is my first participation here , and I guess you'll see me so many times .
Just I have one question , actually I'm from Tunisia ( my case number it's bit hight AF46***) , but when I saw the cota in tunisia it's 100 ,a bit low regarding the other years
Also , I live in France , and I choose Paris to have my interview .
My question is the following , since this year they took only 39,500 from AF , that means that this year they may took more because they didn't reach the usual cota in DV-2018 ?
Also , I submitted my DS260 one day after the results , that may increase my chances ?
and finally , there is no relation between Trump decision to cut off the DV and the low acceptance for this year ? because regarding to visa bulltein in Africa it was Current , but it changed later .
Sorry for my long questions , and thank you

Hello
Just I have one question , actually I'm from Tunisia ( my case number it's bit hight AF46***) , but when I saw the cota in tunisia it's 100 ,a bit low regarding the other years
My question is the following , since this year they took only 39,500 from AF , that means that this year they may took more because they didn't reach the usual cota in DV-2018 ?
Also , I submitted my DS260 one day after the results , that may increase my chances ?
and finally , there is no relation between Trump decision to cut off the DV and the low acceptance for this year ? because regarding to visa bulltein in Africa it was Current , but it changed later .
I don’t quite understand what you’re asking with your first question about the quota (Simon is more knowledgeable on that anyway) but no to the next two - case number determines when you interview, not when you submit the ds260; and the current back to a limit seems to have been due to a miscalculation at kcc.

Hello

First - it helps if you confirm your year with your number - so I am assuming you are DV2019 - and your number is 2019AF46XXX.

Now - there is NO QUOTA per country. The quotas apply to the region, not the country. Tunisia had 115 people SELECTED for further processing. That does not mean they will all get visas. Processing is in number order and your number puts you toward the back of the line.

DV2019 selectee number has no connection to the 39500 cutoff for DV2018.

Submitting early does not increase your chances.

Trump has not directly affected the cutoff. He has bigger problems to handle than the DV cutoff.

Hello everybody, I have questions regarding preparation of (marriage) documents and interview. I'm sorry if they sound a bit silly, but I would really appreciate your answers.
Somewhere I read about an interview where an extra marriage certificate was explicitly asked from the wife, after husband just showed the one (under the topic DV 2018AOS Only, post# 3343). It confused me and now I wonder:
  1. I understand a separate photocopy is required for each visa applicant, but is a separate "original marriage certificate" also required for either spouse? If you have only one original marriage certificate, are you then expected to make a certified copy for the other spouse, or is showing the one original enough with an individual (non-certified) photocopy for each partner?
  2. My marriage certificate and several other documents were translated in 2010, but do not have specific statements about competency. The translator however did sign, stamp and provide each page with certifications that read "Certified correct translation", translator's typed name and local phone number. Additionally, all the documents were legalised by the local office of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (who thereby verified the signatures). If that's not enough, would it be acceptable if I find the original translator and yet ask him to attach statements about competency and accuracy now, after 8 years?
  3. Lastly, are we allowed to take minor infants which we listed as dependents with us for the interview?
Thanks, and looking forward to your response.

Hello everybody, I have questions regarding preparation of (marriage) documents and interview. I'm sorry if they sound a bit silly, but I would really appreciate your answers.
Somewhere I read about an interview where an extra marriage certificate was explicitly asked from the wife, after husband just showed the one (under the topic DV 2018AOS Only, post# 3343). It confused me and now I wonder:
  1. I understand a separate photocopy is required for each visa applicant, but is a separate "original marriage certificate" also required for either spouse? If you have only one original marriage certificate, are you then expected to make a certified copy for the other spouse, or is showing the one original enough with an individual (non-certified) photocopy for each partner?
  2. My marriage certificate and several other documents were translated in 2010, but do not have specific statements about competency. The translator however did sign, stamp and provide each page with certifications that read "Certified correct translation", translator's typed name and local phone number. Additionally, all the documents were legalised by the local office of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (who thereby verified the signatures). If that's not enough, would it be acceptable if I find the original translator and yet ask him to attach statements about competency and accuracy now, after 8 years?
  3. Lastly, are we allowed to take minor infants which we listed as dependents with us for the interview?
Thanks, and looking forward to your response.

1. You’re not expected to present two original marriage certificates - just one original and two (or as many copies as you care to carry). And the copies are not required to be certified as long as you have the original copy.

2. What you have should do. However, if you’re in doubt, get new translation with signed certified statements attached.

3. You are required to attend the interview with all listed derivatives immigrating with you.

Hi,

I am DV2019 selectee.
I submitted DS260 first week of July. Unlocked after three weeks then I couldn't resubmit anymore. Because since the CEAC website went undergoing maintenance (July 20th?) I can't access my DS260.

This is recent reply from KCC,

In order to continue processing your case, the primary Diversity Visa applicant (DV-1) must schedule an appointment to appear in person at the United States Embassy in XXXX. To schedule an appointment with the United States Embassy in XXXX, please send your full name and DV case number to email address XXXX-XXXX@ustraveldocs.com /phone number XXXXXXXXXX. You will need to bring your valid passport with you to your appointment at the United States Embassy in XXXX. This appointment is not a visa interview and you are not required to pay any fees at this time.

Also I have received email from the Embassy XXXX asking me to make schedule an appointment.

The Embassy XXXX is not my interview location (my home country) when I first submitted DS260 before Unlocked.
I think KCC picked the Embassy XXXX for this time is from my 1NL.
I need to visit there for continue processing. KCC told me I follow the instruction is only my solution now.
So I am going to travel XXXX.

But I am worried RETURNING.
I am now in the U.S. with valid U.S. visa.
So I need to come back without problems.
Do you think I don't have any risk to enter the U.S. after visiting the Embassy XXXX??

Hi,

I am DV2019 selectee.
I submitted DS260 first week of July. Unlocked after three weeks then I couldn't resubmit anymore. Because since the CEAC website went undergoing maintenance (July 20th?) I can't access my DS260.

In order to continue processing your case, the primary Diversity Visa applicant (DV-1) must schedule an appointment to appear in person at the United States Embassy in XXXX. To schedule an appointment with the United States Embassy in XXXX, please send your full name and DV case number to email address XXXX-XXXX@ustraveldocs.com /phone number XXXXXXXXXX. You will need to bring your valid passport with you to your appointment at the United States Embassy in XXXX. This appointment is not a visa interview and you are not required to pay any fees at this time.

Also I have received email from the Embassy XXXX asking me to make schedule an appointment.

The Embassy XXXX is not my interview location (my home country) when I first submitted DS260 before Unlocked.
I need to visit there for continue processing. KCC told me I follow the instruction is only my solution now.

Do you think I don't have any risk to enter the U.S. after visiting the Embassy XXXX??

I've never heard of this before - having to appear in person for continuing DV processing without it being the actual visa interview. Is there something particularly unusual or complicated about your case?

Hi,

I am DV2019 selectee.

Your situation is a bit hard to understand since you keep writing Embassy XXXX. I was under the impression you intended to process AOS going by the questions you’ve been asking on the AOS thread. When you first submitted your DS260 form back in July, did you indicate you were processing AOS or CP? What was the reason for unlocking the DS260 after the initial submission? Also, is your CN current in Oct?

SusieQQQ
Thank you for reply.
I didn't make this issue. It's their system problem. Some of applicants can't access DS260 since the website remained Aug 1st?

Sm1smom,
Thank you for reply.
My first submitted DS260 was CP.
My plan was AOS at first but changed mind to CP before Submitted.
My case number wasn't current in October. Probably November or December.
I didn't indicate to KCC my unlock reason. It's minor mistake to correct.

SusieQQQ
Thank you for reply.
I didn't make this issue. It's their system problem. Some of applicants can't access DS260 since the website remained Aug 1st?

A number of people have reported a system issue,but I haven’t seen a single other report of someone being told to appear in person for a non-visa interview at a consulate. Have you seen anyone else report this, if so can you post a link?

Sm1smom,
Thank you for reply.
My first submitted DS260 was CP.
My plan was AOS at first but changed mind to CP before Submitted.
My case number wasn't current in October. Probably November or December.
I didn't indicate to KCC my unlock reason. It's minor mistake to correct.

So since you selected CP when your DS260 was submitted back in July, it looks like KCC is expecting your CN to become current in Nov with the interview expected to take place in your home country. It can’t be in a 3rd country even if you selected that option on your DS260 form if you’re not residing in that 3rd country.

No one can guarantee you will be re-admitted back into the US if you travel out to go book your DV interview appointment as requested, especially since you’re not disclosing the country you’re required to travel to. And if you have that much concern, maybe you should re-evaluate your decision to process CP and switch over to AOS. Of course you’ll need to reach out to KCC to let them know you wish to switch, and hopefully they will be able to retrieve your case file from the embassy if it already got sent.