• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2018 AOS Only

I won, I won, I won!!!!! I was trying for 12 years and finally I m a winner. I have EU***34*** number. Is this a good number or I should be worried?

I won, I won, I won!!!!! I was trying for 12 years and finally I m a winner. I have EU***34*** number. Is this a good number or I should be worried?

It's a bit high - but in some years that number would make it. It will be well into 2018 before that number is current though.

Hello,

I am glad to find this forum, thank you very much for the excel Demo. I went through it. I will write about our case here, I really appreciate any advise at this confusing stage.

I and my husband both are currently in USA on student VISA -F1. My husband is graduating with his PhD in this Summer and already in the process of getting OPT from August 5TH 2017. He got his dream job starting from August 5TH. He must have OPT to start his job and they are interesting to file H1B for him. They sent all the forms to file H1B( We believe they are preparing his case for 2018 H1B, because this year H1B is already over, and also please note he is joining academic university) . When we mentioned about Green card lottery wining, they are confused a bit and suggested to file for H1B instead of going for Green card lottery route. We don't want to risk the job at this stage, because its his dream job. But we dont want to loose this lottery wining opportunity as well.
My husband's case number is AS000054**.

1) I am sure, we cant file OPT(F1) and green card together, because One is a non immigrant category and other one is non immigrant category.
2) After getting OPT( After August), can we file H1B and Green card (AOS) together? Will it cause any problems? Is there a risk my husband loosing H1B status if we fail at green card process through the lottery?
3) Please suggest your opinion. Thank you very much for your time.

1. You didn't ask any question, just made a statement.

2. You are technically not filing H1B and AOS together, they are two different process. If your question is if it is possible to have both petitions in the system at the same time without one jeopardizing the other, the answer is yet.

3. Whoever suggested you guys shouldn't bother on filing for GC but focus on the H1B doesn't know anything about the process - be very wary of them (anyway maybe I shouldn't be so hard on them, you already stated they were confused when you told them about your GC opportunity).

H1B is a dual intent visa, having it and a GC petition in the system at the same time is perfectly okay. You guys can have the employer continue with the H1B, while you process the AOS on your own. They don't need to know about it, if the AOS gets approved first you then go back and let them know and they can withdraw the H1B petition at that point.

Hi all,

I was selected in DV2018, our asigned number is 2018SA6XX.

1. Currently I and my family are living in USA, seeking for politic asylum, applicate on January 2017, before expired our I94. Can we fill our DS-260 and ask for the interview to will be at USCIS?

2. Do you believe, we need to go to a third country do the interview?

Please, if you know about any case as our, let us know your experience

Thanks for your great support.

Hi all,

I was selected in DV2018, our asigned number is 2018SA6XX.

1. Currently I and my family are living in USA, seeking for politic asylum, applicate on January 2017, before expired our I94. Can we fill our DS-260 and ask for the interview to will be at USCIS?

2. Do you believe, we need to go to a third country do the interview?

Please, if you know about any case as our, let us know your experience

Thanks for your great support.

1. Yes you can since you're already in the US.

2. No. See 1 above.

We've had cases of asylum seekers who have successfully processed their DV selection via AOS.

You need to make sure you understand the process. So start by reading the first post on page 1 of this Thread and follow the instructions there.

hi everybody,

I have received number 2018EU00034xxx. is it good or am I out of luck? thanks for anybody who would respond to me.

Hello Everyone,

First of all, thank you so much for all the info you have provided on this incredible forum. Very very helpful. And of course congratulations to all of those selected in this round. I have read thru the excel file but still have a couple questions that I would like to get your opinions on.

My girlfriend is one of the selectees of the DV2018. Her CN is 2018EU00036xxx. She moved to NYC last year with F1 visa and currently on OPT which will expire end of Jan 2018. She has her EAD and SSN in hand. Given the rather high CN, her case will likely be current after her OPT expires. Our questions are as follows:

1. When should she file DS260?
2. As far I understand, she cannot apply for AOS before her CN gets current. If this is the case, she will be out of status after Jan 2018 until CN gets current. How problematic is this?
3. Assuming there is a solution for #2, how long it typically takes to get the interview scheduled in NYC after her CN gets current? Any risk of passing the DV issuance deadline?
4. Would you recommend pursuing CP instead of AOS? If so, she just needs to go back 1-2 weeks in advance of the interview date for the medical exams and stay in home country until she gets her visa, right?
5. Would you recommend hiring an immigration lawyer in her case? Especially if she chooses to pursue AOS route.

Please let me know if I need to clarify anything
Thank you in advance for your help. We really appreciate it.

Best

Hi there,

Our family is moving to the US on May 18th on my husband's H1B visa (I will be on an H4 status). Coincidentally I won the DV 2018 lottery! From reading the info on this very helpful forum we would like to go the AOS route.

I started to complete the DS-260 form, selecting AOS and realized that I can not complete the travel history/address etc yet since we have yet to travel to the US.

How soon do I need to submit this form? Can it wait until we actually enter the US on the H1B visa? I don't believe that our CN is very high (EU9XXX).

Thank you.

Hello Everyone,

First of all, thank you so much for all the info you have provided on this incredible forum. Very very helpful. And of course congratulations to all of those selected in this round. I have read thru the excel file but still have a couple questions that I would like to get your opinions on.

My girlfriend is one of the selectees of the DV2018. Her CN is 2018EU00036xxx. She moved to NYC last year with F1 visa and currently on OPT which will expire end of Jan 2018. She has her EAD and SSN in hand. Given the rather high CN, her case will likely be current after her OPT expires. Our questions are as follows:

1. When should she file DS260?
2. As far I understand, she cannot apply for AOS before her CN gets current. If this is the case, she will be out of status after Jan 2018 until CN gets current. How problematic is this?
3. Assuming there is a solution for #2, how long it typically takes to get the interview scheduled in NYC after her CN gets current? Any risk of passing the DV issuance deadline?
4. Would you recommend pursuing CP instead of AOS? If so, she just needs to go back 1-2 weeks in advance of the interview date for the medical exams and stay in home country until she gets her visa, right?
5. Would you recommend hiring an immigration lawyer in her case? Especially if she chooses to pursue AOS route.

Please let me know if I need to clarify anything
Thank you in advance for your help. We really appreciate it.

Best

1. Now, if she likes.
2. She'll need to leave the US at the end of her OPT or she risks being out of status. She obviously will not be eligible to process AOS.
3. The answer to this question will not be applicable to her case anyway.
4. She's only eligible to process CP based on the information you provided. She needs to leave the US at the end of her OPT, staying back and being out of status will lead to a denial when she shows up for the CP interview.
5. No immigration lawyer required even if she was eligible for AOS.

Hi there,

Our family is moving to the US on May 18th on my husband's H1B visa (I will be on an H4 status). Coincidentally I won the DV 2018 lottery! From reading the info on this very helpful forum we would like to go the AOS route.

I started to complete the DS-260 form, selecting AOS and realized that I can not complete the travel history/address etc yet since we have yet to travel to the US.

How soon do I need to submit this form? Can it wait until we actually enter the US on the H1B visa? I don't believe that our CN is very high (EU9XXX).

Thank you.

Wait until after you get to the US before submitting the DS260 forms.

1. Now, if she likes.
2. She'll need to leave the US at the end of her OPT or she risks being out of status. She obviously will not be eligible to process AOS.
3. The answer to this question will not be applicable to her case anyway.
4. She's only eligible to process CP based on the information you provided. She needs to leave the US at the end of her OPT, staying back and being out of status will lead to a denial when she shows up for the CP interview.
5. No immigration lawyer required even if she was eligible for AOS.

Hi @Sm1smom, Thank you so much for your prompt reply. One additional question... She was planning to attend another program (school) which will obviously keep her in-status but I believe it will be tricky to get another F1 visa after filing DS-260. Am I correct on this?

Hi @Sm1smom, Thank you so much for your prompt reply. One additional question... She was planning to attend another program (school) which will obviously keep her in-status but I believe it will be tricky to get another F1 visa after filing DS-260. Am I correct on this?

Yes that is correct, submission of the DS-260 form is a demonstration of her immigrant intent. Being approved for a new I-20 will indeed be tricky.

Good number, no problems, fine for AoS. Theoretically they should treat you BOTH as principal selectees (education proof on both) but as it is AoS I doubt the FO will even know that nuance.

"My birth country is eligible. Hers is not. So she use my birth country to attend. Result, I didn't get picked. Her case get picked!"
Do you mean your wife was not eligible for DV lottery based on the country of birth, but she mentioned your birth country in her entry and ultimately ended up winning the lottery? If so, she should not proceed with the next steps because it will definitely result in a denial.

"My birth country is eligible. Hers is not. So she use my birth country to attend. Result, I didn't get picked. Her case get picked!"
Do you mean your wife was not eligible for DV lottery based on the country of birth, but she mentioned your birth country in her entry and ultimately ended up winning the lottery? If so, she should not proceed with the next steps because it will definitely result in a denial.

No she will not be denied. Your advise for the OP to not proceed is completely wrong. The wife is allowed to cross and charge to the husband's birth country if her birth country is not eligible.

You need to read the instructions first and be sure you understand it, you don't want to end up costing people a once in a lifetime opportunity based on incorrect advise.

No she will not be denied. Your advise for the OP to not proceed is completely wrong. The wife is allowed to cross and charge to the husband's birth country if her birth country is not eligible.

You need to read the instructions first and be sure you understand it, you don't want to end up costing people a once in a lifetime opportunity based on incorrect advise.

Mom is correct of course. The instructions CLEARLY state you can use your spouse's country if your own is not eligible.