• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2018 AOS Only

Thank you.
Have some follow up questions

1 (AOS process), the address in DS260 form is not an issue. Only when submit AOS package, the address in the package will be the GC deliver address. Which means the address in 260 and later on AOS package can be different, but GC will be mail to the AOS's address, correct?

2 (If go CP) The address in DS260 will be the only address that GC mail to. No way to change that address after submit DS260. Which means it is very important to find relatives or friends that live in US and use their addresses. Correct?

3a I have heard cases that selectee submitted DS260 to inform KCC they want to choose AOS to process, but later on regretted, then call KCC(or email KCC) to change to CP process then flew back to original country to interview. Is this accountable?
3b The story they share mention the risk is the receipt they already paid when process AOS. When they switched back to CP, they have to had KCC informed the interviewer that they already paid. Correct?

1. Correct

2. Not correct. Address can be updated at the time of interview or at the POE

3a. Yes, you can always contact KCC to change the selected process

3b. Not correct. You get to make the payment at the embassy. Payment previously made while contemplating AOS does not get transferred to a local US embassy.

2, not correct. You can change the address at the interview, and again when you enter the US.
Thanks.
Other question,
Is the DS260 sending date really matters? Especially affect the interview date?
4 (consider CP)For example, my wife got selected this year DV2018 Asia 52xx. Of course I can send out DS260 NOW. But actually based on previous visa current number history, 52xx probably will current at around next year April, May or even June.
Does it make my case being reviewed and interviewed faster? Or I can wait till next year probably Jan or Feb to submit DS260 and pay the fee.

5 (consider AOS) Again, does the 260 sending date matter? I know the AOS package deliver date matter, and NOA notice is matter as well. But how about DS260?

Thank you for answering my questions. Bless all.

1. Correct

2. Not correct. Address can be updated at the time of interview or at the POE

3a. Yes, you can always contact KCC to change the selected process

3b. Not correct. You get to make the payment at the embassy. Payment previously made while contemplating AOS does not get transferred to a local US embassy.
Sorry, for 3b, I should said DV fee($330). There is a forum in Taiwan, one selectee share his story. He originally choose AOS then changed back to CP. During the interview, the interviewer want to check whether he paid the DV fee or not. He provided the receipt and wiring proof to interviewer and then wait for 5 days. The interviewer email KCC regarding to his case to confirm this issue. After confirmation, he receive his package and entered US with it.

Thanks.
Other question,
Is the DS260 sending date really matters? Especially affect the interview date?
4 (consider CP)For example, my wife got selected this year DV2018 Asia 52xx. Of course I can send out DS260 NOW. But actually based on previous visa current number history, 52xx probably will current at around next year April, May or even June.
Does it make my case being reviewed and interviewed faster? Or I can wait till next year probably Jan or Feb to submit DS260 and pay the fee.

5 (consider AOS) Again, does the 260 sending date matter? I know the AOS package deliver date matter, and NOA notice is matter as well. But how about DS260?

Thank you for answering my questions. Bless all.

1. For CP, interview date is determined by when the CN becomes current and when the DS260 form was submitted. KCC need a couple of months to process the DS 260 form, so if your CN were to become current in May for instance, and you submit your DS260 form in Jan/Feb, you will definitely not be scheduled for a May interview, it will be a couple of months down the road.

2. DS260 submission date has no impact on AOS.

Sorry, for 3b, I should said DV fee($330). There is a forum in Taiwan, one selectee share his story. He originally choose AOS then changed back to CP. During the interview, the interviewer want to check whether he paid the DV fee or not. He provided the receipt and wiring proof to interviewer and then wait for 5 days. The interviewer email KCC regarding to his case to confirm this issue. After confirmation, he receive his package and entered US with it.

Yes I know it is the DV administrative fee you were referring to. The referenced case is an exception IMO if indeed it happened as stated. Most embassies will not consider a payment receipt from the US (same way a medical exam from the US will not be accepted). If you will be interviewing at the same embassy and are willing to be put on AP while the embassy confirms the payment, then that may be an option for you.

Hi!
1. I read in the Google form that proceeding via AOS may have looser DV requirements. Can someone elaborate on this?

2. My CN is OC11XX. From what I've gathered, this has a moderate chance of receiving an interview later on in the process. However, I also know that AOS often takes longer than CP. I know no one can really recommend either method, but do you think it would be advisable for me to proceed via AOS? I'm currently in the US on an F-1 visa.

Thanks!

Hi!
1. I read in the Google form that proceeding via AOS may have looser DV requirements. Can someone elaborate on this?

2. My CN is OC11XX. From what I've gathered, this has a moderate chance of receiving an interview later on in the process. However, I also know that AOS often takes longer than CP. I know no one can really recommend either method, but do you think it would be advisable for me to proceed via AOS? I'm currently in the US on an F-1 visa.

Thanks!

"DV qualification requirements may be loosely interpreted" - the IOs adjudicating AOS are not as knowledgeable as the COs dealing with CP. One may be able to get approved with a vocational certificate with AOS, not quite so with CP.

The following Thread (link below) is a clear example of an IO loosely interpreting the DV rules - the OP here did not include their son on their eDV registration, got interviewed by a clueless IO who approved the case:

http://forums.immigration.com/threa...ical-son-of-lawful-permanent-resident.336181/

1. Yes, that's a possibility.

2. Start by praying, if you believe in prayers. How soon or how late you're able to complete your portion of the process will determine the fate of your derivatives. Once you're approved you'll need to coordinate things with USCIS and your US home embassy to ensure USCIS forwards your case file to the appropriate embassy ASAP and the embassy will need to be able to schedule them for an interview on or before 7/30 COB.

Thank you for the response. I have some 3 follow up questions.
1. What does the abbreviation COB mean?
2. Should my derivatives have been scheduled for interview before 7/30? (I thought it was 9/30)
3. In most cases, how long is the process of AOS after one's CN becomes current?

Thank you for your help.

Thank you for the response. I have some 3 follow up questions.
1. What does the abbreviation COB mean?
2. Should my derivatives have been scheduled for interview before 7/30? (I thought it was 9/30)
3. In most cases, how long is the process of AOS after one's CN becomes current?

Thank you for your help.

1. Close of business.
2. Typo - she means 9/30
3. It varies from a few days to a couple of months (best idea being to file early - early filing memo)

Check the spreadsheet for timelines, and details.

Thanks for the spreadsheet! My wife and I have been living in the US on my O-1 visa for the last 4 years and my wife was just selected and we are eligible for AOS.

Questions:

1. Because she's been living here on an O-3 visa, she hasn't been able to work, get SSN, bank statements, tax returns etc. I'm guessing it's not necessary for her to send any of those financial documents (because they don't exist) but do I as her spouse need to send my financial documents or just the items listed under 'applicants spouse' in the spreadsheet?

2. My O-1 visa expires in October 2018, at the time we got that visa my wife's passport expiry date was October 2017 so her visa was only granted till October this year. Once sending the DS-260 form does that cover her legal status in the US until the case is approved/denied or will she need to renew her passport and travel out of the country again to get the O-3 extended to October 2018?

3. Do I also need to submit a DS-260 form using my wife's case number or just her?

Hi everyone,

I recently got selected for the DV lottery process with AS00005***. I've read the spreadsheets and posts related to the process but still have some questions. I am currently in the US as an F1 student working of PhD study. I realize that my option with AOS is more suitable for my case where I have no plan to leave US in during my study. I read the instructions from the .gov and submitted the DS 260 already

1. After submitting DS 260 (with AOS option selected), Do I have to wait for the 2NL for KCC in order to file the I-485?

2. The process of AOS should be File DS260 -> Prepare Document for interview -> receive 2NL -> Submit I-485 -> Wait for interview ?

Thank you for your answers in advance.
PJ

Thanks for the spreadsheet! My wife and I have been living in the US on my O-1 visa for the last 4 years and my wife was just selected and we are eligible for AOS.

Questions:

1. Because she's been living here on an O-3 visa, she hasn't been able to work, get SSN, bank statements, tax returns etc. I'm guessing it's not necessary for her to send any of those financial documents (because they don't exist) but do I as her spouse need to send my financial documents or just the items listed under 'applicants spouse' in the spreadsheet?

2. My O-1 visa expires in October 2018, at the time we got that visa my wife's passport expiry date was October 2017 so her visa was only granted till October this year. Once sending the DS-260 form does that cover her legal status in the US until the case is approved/denied or will she need to renew her passport and travel out of the country again to get the O-3 extended to October 2018?

3. Do I also need to submit a DS-260 form using my wife's case number or just her?

1. Your financial documents should be included to show she and the rest of the family will not constitute a public charge.

2. What is the stamped date on her I-94? This is what determines the length of her stay in the US, not the visa stamp on the passport. The visa is basically the document that allows her to come in, it's a travel document only.

3. Your DS-260 should be submitted together with your wife's.

Once sending the DS-260 form does that cover her legal status in the US until the case is approved/denied or will she need to renew her passport and travel out of the country again to get the O-3 extended to October 2018?

And just because I've learnt it's better to state the obvious, she needs to get her passport renewed before it expires regardless of any other consideration.

1. Your financial documents should be included to show she and the rest of the family will not constitute a public charge.

2. What is the stamped date on her I-94? This is what determines the length of her stay in the US, not the visa stamp on the passport. The visa is basically the document that allows her to come in, it's a travel document only.

3. Your DS-260 should be submitted together with your wife's.

Got it, thanks for the info. So I will need to show tax returns for the last 3 years? If that is not...fully taken care of yet, will I need to settle the outstanding tax filings before trying to submit with her? Or can I submit just SSN, employment letter, pay stubs & bank statements?

I just read thru https://travel.state.gov/content/vi...sa/instructions-for-selectees/adjustment.html

"I am Eligible to Adjust Status, Now What do I do?
If USCIS determines that you are eligible to adjust status you will be required to pay a non-refundable diversity visa fee directly to the Department of State. This fee is assessed to cover the cost incurred by the Department in running the DV Program and is separate from any fees you will need to pay USCIS as part of your adjustment application. You must pay the diversity visa fee for yourself and for each member of your immediate family who plans to adjust status with you in the United States."

So If process AOS, the first step is physically go to local USCIS and ask them to review my case if eligible to process AOS, then pay DV fee.
Based on the website, it did not mention DS260. Also in the spreadsheet, the ds260 is "recommended". But isn't the DS260 is send to KCC for CP? So the first step is send DS260 to KCC and let know them I will be process AOS?

I just read thru https://travel.state.gov/content/vi...sa/instructions-for-selectees/adjustment.html

"I am Eligible to Adjust Status, Now What do I do?
If USCIS determines that you are eligible to adjust status you will be required to pay a non-refundable diversity visa fee directly to the Department of State. This fee is assessed to cover the cost incurred by the Department in running the DV Program and is separate from any fees you will need to pay USCIS as part of your adjustment application. You must pay the diversity visa fee for yourself and for each member of your immediate family who plans to adjust status with you in the United States."

So If process AOS, the first step is physically go to local USCIS and ask them to review my case if eligible to process AOS, then pay DV fee.
Based on the website, it did not mention DS260. Also in the spreadsheet, the ds260 is "recommended". But isn't the DS260 is send to KCC for CP? So the first step is send DS260 to KCC and let know them I will be process AOS?

No, not necessarily the first step. The only reason to visit a local USCIS office is to find out if you're eligible to process AOS, and not for them to review your case. If you've never violated the status of your admission, been out of status, or undertaken unauthorized employment, you're eligible to process AOS. But if you still prefer, go ahead and make that trip to your local USCIS office.

The spreadsheet already lists the recommended steps from this forum, you however don't have to follow it if you don't think any of the step is necessary.

Hi mom,sorry just thinking way ahead here , do you think i would get an RFE if i provide a replaced birth certificate that was issued seven years ago,my original one had an error and thus i had to replace it when applying for my passport (Its not the one issued at birth).It stills shows correct birth registration date (many years ago) but certificate issuance is 2010.

Hello,

I am glad to find this forum, thank you very much for the excel Demo. I went through it. I will write about our case here, I really appreciate any advise at this confusing stage.

I and my husband both are currently in USA on student VISA -F1. My husband is graduating with his PhD in this Summer and already in the process of getting OPT from August 5TH 2017. He got his dream job starting from August 5TH. He must have OPT to start his job and they are interesting to file H1B for him. They sent all the forms to file H1B( We believe they are preparing his case for 2018 H1B, because this year H1B is already over, and also please note he is joining academic university) . When we mentioned about Green card lottery wining, they are confused a bit and suggested to file for H1B instead of going for Green card lottery route. We don't want to risk the job at this stage, because its his dream job. But we dont want to loose this lottery wining opportunity as well.
My husband's case number is AS000054**.

1) I am sure, we cant file OPT(F1) and green card together, because One is a non immigrant category and other one is non immigrant category.
2) After getting OPT( After August), can we file H1B and Green card (AOS) together? Will it cause any problems? Is there a risk my husband loosing H1B status if we fail at green card process through the lottery?
3) Please suggest your opinion. Thank you very much for your time.

Hi mom,sorry just thinking way ahead here , do you think i would get an RFE if i provide a replaced birth certificate that was issued seven years ago,my original one had an error and thus i had to replace it when applying for my passport (Its not the one issued at birth).It stills shows correct birth registration date (many years ago) but certificate issuance is 2010.

I don't think so.