• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2018 AOS Only

It may be denied, it may be approved - it all depends on your FO’s workload.

Meanwhile, you should focus on other cases from your FO on the Timelines spreadsheets, not on a bunch of people who filed around when you filed. Each FO’s processing time is independent of the others.

Yeah, I checked and my timeline is slightly longer than that of the rest of the people who applied in my field office (Chicago, IL). I received a letter from them late last week saying some very ambiguous stuff which I think means that they will expedite (it just said that a supervisor has to review the expedite but that they will reach out with an interview date)... so they kind of say no at the beginning but then yes?? I haven't heard back since and my case status hasn't been updated in my USCIS online account.
Do you know if they approve the expedite, does my status update or do they just send a letter with the interview date?

Yeah, I checked and my timeline is slightly longer than that of the rest of the people who applied in my field office (Chicago, IL). I received a letter from them late last week saying some very ambiguous stuff which I think means that they will expedite (it just said that a supervisor has to review the expedite but that they will reach out with an interview date)... so they kind of say no at the beginning but then yes?? I haven't heard back since and my case status hasn't been updated in my USCIS online account.
Do you know if they approve the expedite, does my status update or do they just send a letter with the interview date?

Have you ever gone on an INFOPASS appointment to follow up in person? Have you been able to get any information regarding the status of your background check? I have no way of knowing if the expedite request means “no at the beginning but then yes” since you haven’t shared the precise wordings of what you received outside of saying it contained some ambiguous stuff.

Anyway since the essence of an expedite request is to get your IL issued/get the AOS petition processed, I think you need to stop focusing on the exact meaning of the wording of the response you got. There’s typically no online status update (with or without an expedite request) until the petition is either approved or denied.

Have you ever gone on an INFOPASS appointment to follow up in person? Have you been able to get any information regarding the status of your background check? I have no way of knowing if the expedite request means “no at the beginning but then yes” since you haven’t shared the precise wordings of what you received outside of saying it contained some ambiguous stuff.

Anyway since the essence of an expedite request is to get your IL issued/get the AOS petition processed, I think you need to stop focusing on the exact meaning of the wording of the response you got. There’s typically no online status update (without or without an expedite request) until the petition is either approved or denied.

Exact wording is "Your request to expedite your Form I-485 interview was received and we will forward your request for supervisory review. We will mail the interview notice using the most recent address that is on file once the interview is scheduled."

Haven't been to an infopass appointment, I was thinking to go if a got a negative response from them, but since it seems that they are expediting it, I was thinking of waiting for a week or two and seeing what happens.

So from your response I see I will just have to wait to receive something in my mailbox. Hopefully it will be this week or the next! Do you know what I should expect around timelines for the response?

Exact wording is "Your request to expedite your Form I-485 interview was received and we will forward your request for supervisory review. We will mail the interview notice using the most recent address that is on file once the interview is scheduled."

Haven't been to an infopass appointment, I was thinking to go if a got a negative response from them, but since it seems that they are expediting it, I was thinking of waiting for a week or two and seeing what happens.

So from your response I see I will just have to wait to receive something in my mailbox. Hopefully it will be this week or the next! Do you know what I should expect around timelines for the response?

The response, to me, doesn’t mean they’re expediting your case as requested. It is a standard response, and the silent part of the response is “IF the supervisory review leads to an approval”. They should send a follow up email letting you you if the request is approved or denied. As to when, I have no idea.

Hello mom. I hope you are fine and happy.
I just read this article https://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/uscis-policy-change-will-make-it-easier-89707/
For example if students F 1 visa denied the DV application for green card are they going to deport them ?

No, the article is NOT saying those in F1 visa will be deported if their GC petition is not approved. It is simply saying the new policy change makes it easier for ANYONE, (regardless of if on F1 visa or any other visa) considered deportable (like someone who no longer has a valid status to fall back on) to be deported following the denial of their GC petition.

No, the article is NOT saying those in F1 visa will be deported if their GC petition is not approved. It is simply saying the new policy change makes it easier for ANYONE, (regardless of if on F1 visa or any other visa) considered deportable (like someone who no longer has a valid status to fall back on) to be deported following the denial of their GC petition.

Just as a follow-up, the article also talks about that applications can be denied where previously an RFE would have been sent.
1) Denied in this case means that you cannot re-submit the I-485 package and you are out of the process, correct?

They will have to change their requirements/instructions then too, since they clearly state that the I-693, for instance, can be brought to the interview, while as you have stated some FO require them and will send an RFE if not in the package. This might get messy..

Just as a follow-up, the article also talks about that applications can be denied where previously an RFE would have been sent.
1) Denied in this case means that you cannot re-submit the I-485 package and you are out of the process, correct?

They will have to change their requirements/instructions then too, since they clearly state that the I-693, for instance, can be brought to the interview, while as you have stated some FO require them and will send an RFE if not in the package. This might get messy..

I posted about this a couple of days ago when the new memo was released:
https://forums.immigration.com/threads/dv-2018-aos-only.336256/page-167#post-2477725

Even without the new memo, I told you earlier on about the risk you could potentially face since you didn’t include the medical exam with your package, so they “having to change requirements/instructions” isn’t something I want to debate. Bottom line, the right thing to do is to submit a front loaded petition - makes it easier for the petition to be reviewed prior to the interview date/time.

A denied petition may be re-filed if the petitioner is still in a valid status and isn’t out of time as in dealing with sunset issue that DV based AOSers have to contend with.

https://forums.immigration.com/threads/dv-2018-aos-only.336256/page-167#post-2477725

Even without the new memo, I told you earlier on about the risk you could potentially face since you didn’t include the medical exam with your package, so they “having to change requirements/instructions” isn’t something I want to debate. Bottom line, the right thing to do is to submit a front loaded petition - makes it easier for the petition to be reviewed prior to the interview date/time.

A denied petition may be re-filed if the petitioner is still in a valid status and isn’t out of time as in dealing with sunset issue that DV based AOSers have to contend with.

Thank you for your reply.

I understand. Given it will go into effect 9/11, I would hope that by then we will have an interview date and then it wouldn't affect us anymore.

Waiting really is the toughest part here.. Thanks Mom!

I would say the instruction in USCIS regards to DV based GC is very clear; include the i-693 should submit with 485 together. Not sure where is the source that state i-693 can be brought to interview?
https://www.uscis.gov/greencard/diversity-visa

Thanks DD, that is great news. It seems like the officers you saw at infopass were knowledgeable for the DV cases. I did make the enquiry so hopefully that comes back with the same response and we both get interviews on August 7.

I will keep everyone posted on the progress.

Congressional inquiry? How long did they tell you it will take? Thank you.

Hi Lcky7,

While I am not finished with the process quite yet, I have gone through the majority of the steps that are involved in the AoS process.

I highly recommend you to take a look at this year's timeline that you can access from mom's spreadsheet. It shows all the major milestones one has to go through. After sending in the package to the Chicago Lockbox (assuming they accept your package) you will receive an acceptance e-mail/text/NOA letter and then receive an invitation for the biometrics appointment and thereafter you would receive an invitation letter for an interview (again assuming you have all documents included. You could also be approved for a GC without an interview if you send in all required documents).

Good luck!

I think I am going to pay the fee Tonight, and go to medical exam within 2 - 3 days, and send AOS Package by the end of JULY. Maybe it is not too late now, and at least will try.

Thanks

Why will you become a public charge? The fact that you’re already borrowing money to complete the AOS process is a red flag that you’re likely to become a public charge, which in essence means applying for benefits you’re not entitled to while you’re struggling to support yourself. That is something you will be required to convince your interviewing IO of before you will be approved in case you’re not already aware of that.

Spend some time going over the AOS process spreadsheet to understand the steps involved. Also take a look at the timeline spreadsheets (past and present years) to get an idea of the processing time for your applicable FO.

I got the money now, and again I am not broke and not going to be a public charge lol. I spent a lot of money on my education. I have friends that had no money whatsoever and they still got a GC.

I am going to pay the fee tonight, get my med exam within 2 days and send AOS Package by the end of the week. Then I will have 2 month to pray and get my interview and GC. I am going to get my GC.

Thanks, and good luck to me in this journey and thanks again :) and good luck to everyone.

I would say IO only care about FACT, for my case I didnot include i134 because 1st i have a job and my annual income is above poverty line, 2nd we include bank statement with the total amount to 6 figures. They will not know if all the fee paid by borrowing(and probably they don't care), but when you prepare AOS package, you have to show you won't be public charge.
Another thing is since it's CURRENT now, that means everyone got picked DV2018 can submit. You are running not just time, but also other selectees. And it is not guarantee that you submit AOS package will lead you to interview. The visa amount is limited 50,000 visa, and are running out not only by AOSers inside US but also CPers worldwide.

Also I came across you mention health exam, I don't know about you. But my case is the health exam took me a week. Something you have to know 1st the Vaccine history do you have fully prepare? Any documents show you had those shots in your birth country before? Doctor will not give you check on vaccine given just by you said so. Another is my case, my spouse did not have fully vaccine history, so she have to take a testing shot first then re-visit back to doctor after 3 days for the reacting result. And depends on the reaction, doctor will give justification. (My spouse has positive reaction on tuberculosis test, so doctor cannot check on that column. He asked us to took X-ray, so we took another X-ray test on lungs and the radiation physician concluded my spouse is ok. Then the report transfer back to the uscis certified doctor. He then check the TB test as ok.) These all take times......

Last thing is to Check in the time sheet with your FO processing time. To see others' processing time.

Just my 2 cents

I want to make a payment Today and med exam within 2 days, then send AOS package. Do you think I am late? Because I want to try anyways.

Mom, Last question.

I have every document that I need to file AOS package, including sponsor letters from bank, However I am missing on I-693 medical exam envelop and copy of DV Fee paid.

1. Do you think, if I will make my med exam and receive envelop within 1 week I think?

2. Do you think, if I wil pay fee Tonight and probably receive receipt within 1 - 2 weeks?

These are the only documents I am missing to file AOS Package.

3. If I receive med exam and fee receipt within 2 weeks, I could file AOS Package in the middle of August which will leave me with 1 month and 15 days before SEPTEMBER 31.

4. Do you know anyone who was running tight on the timeline and still got the GC?

Thanks in advance

Hi mom
I’m so suprised
I was give my finger print on 23 April
I was waiting the interview
I was take infoappointment
I was talk to uscis
And two days ago they called me
I went to uscis for interview
I got green card
They gonna send two weeks after
Thank you mom