• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2018 AOS Only

Yes I did read his post, but uscis said only if I haven't receive letter more than 30 days, I can report back to uscis, otherwise, it seems like they won't do anything because less than 30 days.

Well you can either follow up from 20 days like he suggested or wait until after 30 days. What is it going to cost to follow up after 20 days of waiting?

If that's the case, can I change my address to the one in New Jersey as I have a friend who lives there, and notify them about my change of address? Since I'm still waiting for my number to be current, I'm afraid the visa will run out when the time comes.
In case Sm1smom's answer somehow doesn't refrain you from doing that, the FO also needs to have jurisdiction on your case. So, IO may ask for proof that you reside there.

Hi Mom,

Reposting this just in case this was missed out.

I just noticed in the AOS Process and Documents_Updated Google Spreadsheets, on the List of Documents Required for the AOS Package, for the Spouse, documents proving High School and University Degree Education, as well as Financial Documents such as Paychecks, Bank Statements, W2s, and 1099s are not listed. Is it safe to exclude all these documents for the Spouse (Derivative Applicant) from the AOS package? On the "Interview" tab, it says that I could bring additional documentation such as job offers (if the the applicant and the spouse have different jobs) to the Interview, so there's no need to provide these documents (for the derivative applicant) in the initial AOS package?

Thank you so much!

Hi Mom!

Thanks for all your great work on this forum.

Regarding submitting my paperwork, I got divorced three years ago but I kept my married name as my legal name for professional reasons. So a lot of my documents such as my high school/college documents have my maiden name but my name on my passport/visa is still my married name. Should I submit my marriage certificate and divorce papers to show the link between the two names as proof of name change (and my divorce papers to show I’m divorced) in my AOS package when I send everything to the Chicago lockbox OR should I not submit these in my AOS package and just bring the marriage/divorce documents to the interview?

Thanks so much!

Dear Mom
Thank you for everything you did in this form
I just got my GC , it’s like a dream !!!
The whole process went very smooth except after my interview where I had to wait more than a month to get the GC .
My interview was on 03/09 .........approved on spot .......official approval on 04/18

MOM , you should think about publishing your work ( info in this form ) in a book , the knowledge you providing here , it’s just great .

Thank you again and GOD bless you

Hi Mom,

Reposting this just in case this was missed out.

I just noticed in the AOS Process and Documents_Updated Google Spreadsheets, on the List of Documents Required for the AOS Package, for the Spouse, documents proving High School and University Degree Education, as well as Financial Documents such as Paychecks, Bank Statements, W2s, and 1099s are not listed. Is it safe to exclude all these documents for the Spouse (Derivative Applicant) from the AOS package? On the "Interview" tab, it says that I could bring additional documentation such as job offers (if the the applicant and the spouse have different jobs) to the Interview, so there's no need to provide these documents (for the derivative applicant) in the initial AOS package?

Thank you so much!

Yes it is safe, that is why the spreadsheet has not listed them for a derivative (spouse or child(ren). A derivative is not required to prove they meet the DV selection requirements or that they will not become a public charge, so those set of documents are not listed for them on the spreadsheet. If a derivative spouse happens to be the bread winner for the family, then the spouse’s financial documents can be used in that case.

For the interview, you take whatever you consider pertinent regardless of what you already sent in your AOS package.

Dear Mom
The whole process went very smooth except after my interview where I had to wait more than a month to get the GC .
My interview was on 03/09 .........approved on spot .......official approval on 04/18

MOM , you should think about publishing your work ( info in this form ) in a book , the knowledge you providing here , it’s just great .

Congratulations. Enjoy your green status. :)

Thanks for the suggestion re publishing a book :D that is more or less too late now considering DV lottery is on the chopping board, it’s just a matter of when.

Hi Mom!

Thanks for all your great work on this forum.

Regarding submitting my paperwork, I got divorced three years ago but I kept my married name as my legal name for professional reasons. So a lot of my documents such as my high school/college documents have my maiden name but my name on my passport/visa is still my married name. Should I submit my marriage certificate and divorce papers to show the link between the two names as proof of name change (and my divorce papers to show I’m divorced) in my AOS package when I send everything to the Chicago lockbox OR should I not submit these in my AOS package and just bring the marriage/divorce documents to the interview?

Thanks so much!

You will be submitting your divorce certificate since your marital status on the I-485 is divorced. That should show where your current name comes from.

You should still take the marriage and divorce certificates (and any other document you consider relevant to your case) to your interview.

I think the request for tax documents you got is a generic one. If they ask for your tax documents at the interview itself, simply explain yourself like you just did here. And yes, it doesn’t to have on hand the copy of the law that exempts you from filing taxes.
I believe there is a typo in your answer: are you trying to say that it is not necessary to have the copy of the law?

I looked into the past interviews and noticed that often an original birth certificate is requested by the officer. Unfortunately I just have copies with me, one in English and the other translated from my home country language. Do you think that this might be a problem?

Thank you!

Dear Mom

Congrats :) could you please fill the time sheet and write your experience to help other people if you have not done yet.

Dear Mom,
Is my "case status online" and what it says important? Mine has said "fingerprint fee was received" for months now. I filed an expedite request which was granted and I have my interview next week. Just want to check that the lack of change is normal. Many thanks.

I believe there is a typo in your answer: are you trying to say that it is not necessary to have the copy of the law?

I looked into the past interviews and noticed that often an original birth certificate is requested by the officer. Unfortunately I just have copies with me, one in English and the other translated from my home country language. Do you think that this might be a problem?

Thank you!

It doesn’t *hurt* to have on hand the copy of the law bla bla bla.

You’re expected to attend the interview with the original copy of the documents you mailed in. The IO May or may not ask for it, but the expectation is you have the original version with you.

Dear Mom,
Is my "case status online" and what it says important? Mine has said "fingerprint fee was received" for months now. I filed an expedite request which was granted and I have my interview next week. Just want to check that the lack of change is normal. Many thanks.

Yes that is normal.

Hi,
My CPT expires in 3 months and I am thinking about applying for OPT. Me and my wife(yes, my wife :) ) we already submitted DS260 (we decided for CP). Does submitting DS260 has any impact on applying for OPT? Do I risk anything?
Thank you.

Hi,
My CPT expires in 3 months and I am thinking about applying for OPT. Me and my wife(yes, my wife :) ) we already submitted DS260 (we decided for CP). Does submitting DS260 has any impact on applying for OPT? Do I risk anything?
Thank you.

No impact.

You are filling and submitting a form in which you swear the information you will be providing is true, and you want to claim a false home address on it? Just so you know that will constitute a fraudulent act at obtaining an immigration benefit, it carries dire consequences. The address you provide on your I-485 as your residential address must be where you actually reside.
Thank you, I was stressed out cause of the situation here. I know I should exercise some patience.

Hi Mom,

I am the primary applicant for the AOS. I attended the interview with my spouse and daughter (who are dependents on the application), and all interviews went well. I checked my status this morning and found that the AOS status for my wife and daughter have both changed to "New card is being processed" and mine reads "Interview was Completed and my case must be reviewed." How is this possible? I thought that dependents should be approved only after the primary application is approved.

Is this a normal occurrence? What do you think I should do about this?

Thank you in advance.

Hi Mom,

I am the primary applicant for the AOS. I attended the interview with my spouse and daughter (who are dependents on the application), and all interviews went well. I checked my status this morning and found that the AOS status for my wife and daughter have both changed to "New card is being processed" and mine reads "Interview was Completed and my case must be reviewed." How is this possible? I thought that dependents should be approved only after the primary application is approved.

Is this a normal occurrence? What do you think I should do about this?

Thank you in advance.

Yes the primary applicant is required to be approved before a derivative gets approved. However while what you’ve described is not the norm, I vaguely remember two or three similar cases in the past couple of years. The principal applicants eventually got approved.

Anyway wait until the GC for your derivatives show up. It’s possible you’ve also been approved and your status wasn’t updated. Keep us posted.