• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2018 AOS Only

Hi, I just came back from my infopass. The person that checked on my case says that the case was still being reviewed. No RFE was sent so either the lady didn't need any more papers or hasn't gotten around to check my case. She was performing an interview at the moment . I handed the school transcript and my SEVIS record just in case.

• Should I keep waiting for a response or do a congressional inquiry this week? I know they're busy and scheduling infopass/inquiry back to back is frowned upon but I'm getting worried.

It’s really not unusual to have to wait a while, a month or two (sometimes longer) before a decision is made following the interview. Yours has been pending for less than 3 weeks as at today. I don’t see a need for a congressional inquiry BUT do it if it makes you feel better.

Oh no! This is beyond ridiculous on USCIS’s part.

I suggest you schedule another INFOPASS appointment while waiting to hear back from your congress person. Depending on what the feedback is and if you haven’t received a new IL, pay another visit to your FO with documented evidence of the previous INFOPASS appointments you’ve been on and the congressional inquiry you also did. Request to speak with a supervisor and provide all these evidence of how you’ve been diligently following up on your case.

Also take the expedite denial notice you received as evidence of your address being correct, but you never received the previous ILs which I’m convinced they never mailed out in the first place.
Thank you mom. Your suggestion are always useful.

I tried to remember all the conversation with officer. He mentioned that my case was scheduled for interview on december 2017 (he showed the letter as well and I took), and rescheduled for february 2018 (he didn't show, and I forgot to ask). In the copy it is mentioned that failure to appear will automatically deny our case, or we should ask for reschedule. Since, we didn't receive any notice then how it was rescheduled? I asked him to look at my wife's case also and he mentioned that my wife's case doesn't have interview scheduled, and he mentioned that may be one letter cover both husband and wife. I guess since my wife is not ready to interview they keep on rescheduling my case (this is just my theory). One funny part is the interview letter that was shown to me has Notice Date of today, and interview date of Dec 20,2017 (But he mentioned since it was printed today, so it was like that but still it seems weird).

However, I am planning to take a following action to track my cases:

1) Provide congressman with interview letter and ask to follow up --> done

2) Send a nice letter to field office indicating field officer looking into my case with all proof that I have tried diligently to track my case and reschedule an interview asap.

3) Keep on calling national customer service Tier 2 officer every 2 or 3 days to track my case and verify if there are any interview letter pending.

4) Try to schedule and attend infopass with all proofs every 7 days to track my case and verify if there are any interview letter pending.

5) If case goes to denial, then hire an attorney.

I have collected a bunch of proofs:

1) Hard copy with receipt no. and stamp on info pass appointment of Feb, March, April and soft copy of Jan.

2) Copy of denied expedite request.

3) Email copy from congressional liasion officer (dated april 18 2018) that he has inquiry with uscis.

4) Snap shot of online case inquiry dated today that never changes.

Do you have any suggestions or thought? Your suggestions are always golden.

Thank you mom. Your suggestion are always useful.

I tried to remember all the conversation with officer. He mentioned that my case was scheduled for interview on december 2017 (he showed the letter as well and I took), and rescheduled for february 2018 (he didn't show, and I forgot to ask). In the copy it is mentioned that failure to appear will automatically deny our case, or we should ask for reschedule. Since, we didn't receive any notice then how it was rescheduled? I asked him to look at my wife's case also and he mentioned that my wife's case doesn't have interview scheduled, and he mentioned that may be one letter cover both husband and wife. I guess since my wife is not ready to interview they keep on rescheduling my case (this is just my theory). One funny part is the interview letter that was shown to me has Notice Date of today, and interview date of Dec 20,2017 (But he mentioned since it was printed today, so it was like that but still it seems weird).

However, I am planning to take a following action to track my cases:

1) Provide congressman with interview letter and ask to follow up --> done

2) Send a nice letter to field office indicating field officer looking into my case with all proof that I have tried diligently to track my case and reschedule an interview asap.

3) Keep on calling national customer service Tier 2 officer every 2 or 3 days to track my case and verify if there are any interview letter pending.

4) Try to schedule and attend infopass with all proofs every 7 days to track my case and verify if there are any interview letter pending.

5) If case goes to denial, then hire an attorney.

I have collected a bunch of proofs:

1) Hard copy with receipt no. and stamp on info pass appointment of Feb, March, April and soft copy of Jan.

2) Copy of denied expedite request.

3) Email copy from congressional liasion officer (dated april 18 2018) that he has inquiry with uscis.

4) Snap shot of online case inquiry dated today that never changes.

Do you have any suggestions or thought? Your suggestions are always golden.

Good line of approach. Add the ombudsman’s Office to your proposed line of action:
https://www.dhs.gov/case-assistance

Hi Mom,
While i'm still waiting for my number to be current, I noticed that people who went current in New York, NY have some delays to the process. As I'm also living in new york, I was wondering if I could use FO in the near by state like New Jersey? Is it allowed? What should I do?

Hi Mom,
While i'm still waiting for my number to be current, I noticed that people who went current in New York, NY have some delays to the process. As I'm also living in new york, I was wondering if I could use FO in the near by state like New Jersey? Is it allowed? What should I do?

Unfortunately you don’t have a choice of which FO to use, your FO is determined by your residential address. Yes the NY FO tends to be slow, it’s a busy one. Nonetheless they tend to successfully process all their DV based AOS petitions by the end of the applicable FY.

Hi Mom,
...I noticed that people who went current in New York, NY have some delays to the process.

I am one of those with a AOS application being processed in a NY Field office and yes, my processing time is already way over the average in the Timeline spreadsheet. My number was current in October and already 5 months since our biometrics. I have tried many, many times to get an InfoPass but it seems impossible in NYC. All we can do is wait and hope that this is the day we see some progress.

Q: What stage does an AOS application need to reach before the deadline of each DV year? For example, if the application has only reach interview stage but no GC issued, I assume the application is automatically voided by September deadline.

Hi Mom,

My check as been cash out on 4/11, still waiting for bio letter, right now my online case status is "Fingerprint Fee Was Received".
Q1: If I have been scheduled to do the biometrics, will the case status reveal it?
Q2: If yes, will I receive the letter first or the online case status be changed first?

Thank you Mom

Edit: Nevermind, I just realized that even though the Biometrics Fee is not specifically listed for the Spouse, the total amount of $1,225 basically covers both the AOS Fee and the Biometrics Fee. My bad.

Hi Mom,

I just noticed in the AOS Process and Documents_Updated Google Spreadsheets, on the List of Documents Required for the AOS Package, for the Spouse, Biometrics Fee(s) is not listed. Does this mean that the Spouse will not have to do any Biometrics? Or the Fee paid by the Primary Applicant also covers the Dependent(s) as well?

Thank you so much!

Last edited:
Hi Mom,

My check as been cash out on 4/11, still waiting for bio letter, right now my online case status is "Fingerprint Fee Was Received".
Q1: If I have been scheduled to do the biometrics, will the case status reveal it?
Q2: If yes, will I receive the letter first or the online case status be changed first?

Thank you Mom

Hey mate,

Scroll back through the posts and you will find that I was in a similar situation recently, only I foolishly waiting over 30 days to follow up with USCIS.
Short story is my letter never arrived and as such I missed my appointment. Had to follow up with USCIS and get a new appointment scheduled and letter sent.
I wouldn't be panicking at all yet as yours has only just clocked 2 weeks but I would follow up if after 20 days you haven't received it because chances are the appointment has been scheduled. They can then fax (yes, faxes still exist..) you a new letter.

I am one of those with a AOS application being processed in a NY Field office and yes, my processing time is already way over the average in the Timeline spreadsheet. My number was current in October and already 5 months since our biometrics. I have tried many, many times to get an InfoPass but it seems impossible in NYC. All we can do is wait and hope that this is the day we see some progress.

Q: What stage does an AOS application need to reach before the deadline of each DV year? For example, if the application has only reach interview stage but no GC issued, I assume the application is automatically voided by September deadline.

It is possible to get an INFOPASS appointment with the FO, the secret is persistence and to try at different times of the day, especially between 11pm and 3am I think.

The petition needs to be approved by Sept. 30th. It is not enough for the interview to be scheduled or to have taken place on or before Sept. 30, if it is not approved by COB, no GC can be issued after that day.

Hey mate,

Scroll back through the posts and you will find that I was in a similar situation recently, only I foolishly waiting over 30 days to follow up with USCIS.
Short story is my letter never arrived and as such I missed my appointment. Had to follow up with USCIS and get a new appointment scheduled and letter sent.
I wouldn't be panicking at all yet as yours has only just clocked 2 weeks but I would follow up if after 20 days you haven't received it because chances are the appointment has been scheduled. They can then fax (yes, faxes still exist..) you a new letter.
When they mailed out your first bio letter(the lost one), is there any online case status changes saying like scheduled for biometrics?

Hello Mom,

In a couple of days I am going to have the GC interview and in the instructions of the interview notice they are basically requesting proof that I paid taxes.
However, since I am on a J1 research I do not have to pay taxes for my first year in the US. What's more is that my research funding comes from my home country institution thus technically I never received any money from a US institution (no pay stubs).

Do you suggest me to provide a document/letter that reminds them that I did not have to pay taxes for this year? I guess it would be enough to show them the actual law on this matter but I have no idea where to start looking.

Thank you for your kind advice. I am very excited for the interview, I will make sure to provide a full report.

Hello Mom,

In a couple of days I am going to have the GC interview and in the instructions of the interview notice they are basically requesting proof that I paid taxes.
However, since I am on a J1 research I do not have to pay taxes for my first year in the US. What's more is that my research funding comes from my home country institution thus technically I never received any money from a US institution (no pay stubs).

Do you suggest me to provide a document/letter that reminds them that I did not have to pay taxes for this year? I guess it would be enough to show them the actual law on this matter but I have no idea where to start looking.

Thank you for your kind advice. I am very excited for the interview, I will make sure to provide a full report.

I think the request for tax documents you got is a generic one. If they ask for your tax documents at the interview itself, simply explain yourself like you just did here. And yes, it doesn’t to have on hand the copy of the law that exempts you from filing taxes.

The online case status doesn’t change.
Thank you mom, I called uscis today, they kept saying wait 15-30 days, if exceed 30 days, I can call them to see what happen.
Is there anything I can do unless keep waiting? Let's say if I've been scheduled and they mailed out bio letter, for some reason the letter lost, and because there is no way to check if I've been scheduled or not, so then I have to wait 30 days to call uscis follow up the case?

Unfortunately you don’t have a choice of which FO to use, your FO is determined by your residential address. Yes the NY FO tends to be slow, it’s a busy one. Nonetheless they tend to successfully process all their DV based AOS petitions by the end of the applicable FY.
If that's the case, can I change my address to the one in New Jersey as I have a friend who lives there, and notify them about my change of address? Since I'm still waiting for my number to be current, I'm afraid the visa will run out when the time comes.

Hi Mom,

I just noticed in the AOS Process and Documents_Updated Google Spreadsheets, on the List of Documents Required for the AOS Package, for the Spouse, documents proving High School and University Degree Education, as well as Financial Documents such as Paychecks, Bank Statements, W2s, and 1099s are not listed. Is it safe to exclude all these documents for the Spouse (Derivative Applicant)?

Thank you so much!

Thank you mom, I called uscis today, they kept saying wait 15-30 days, if exceed 30 days, I can call them to see what happen.
Is there anything I can do unless keep waiting? Let's say if I've been scheduled and they mailed out bio letter, for some reason the letter lost, and because there is no way to check if I've been scheduled or not, so then I have to wait 30 days to call uscis follow up the case?

Did you read @Aaron P’s response to your previous post?

If that's the case, can I change my address to the one in New Jersey as I have a friend who lives there, and notify them about my change of address? Since I'm still waiting for my number to be current, I'm afraid the visa will run out when the time comes.

You are filling and submitting a form in which you swear the information you will be providing is true, and you want to claim a false home address on it? Just so you know that will constitute a fraudulent act at obtaining an immigration benefit, it carries dire consequences. The address you provide on your I-485 as your residential address must be where you actually reside.