• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2017 OC Selectees

Hey guys!

Congratulations to all those selected! I have also been selected this year - woohoo! CN6xx so can't complain about that! :D It was my 31st birthday on 1 May, so a nice present! Yeahhhhh!

I've just submitted my DS 260, but have just read someone mentioning that we should include incomplete university degrees - is that the case, or did I misread that? To be honest, I was only enrolled for under 1 semester. Is it worth noting? I actually forgot about it. Ha!

My biggest issue was the previous addresses... having lived in around 20 houses across Brisbane in my lifetime!

Looking forward to getting to know you all a bit better!

Abbey

Include it. The information itself is inconsequential. But if you exclude it, and the KCC find it during their background checks (which are thorough), they will wonder what else you've decided to exclude / not mention. It's about being completely honest in your application. :)

Yep, just email the KCC with your full name, DOB and case number and ask for the DS260 to be unlocked. It might take a couple of days for them to respond. Make the adjustment and then re-submit. With a 6xx number, you may not get interviewed until early next year, so plenty of time.

Welcome and congrats @socialcasualty :)

This has me wondering about my application (have not yet done the form)

i'm going to be enrolled in a free 6 month uni preparation course (so not an 'actual' uni degree) should I be including it? Even though I haven't even yet started the course? (Won't be starting until July)

Cheers! :) Luckily, I have a few close friends who have previously won and are now happily living in the US, so it makes the process a little less daunting. But it's so great to have the support on these forums!

Thanks @MissM88! Congrats to you also! :D

I don't think you can enter anything in the future. I tried to add my degree completion date and it wouldn't let me put any future dates, so I would say you won't need to. But try and see if it'll let you!

The DS260 operates on the basis of answering truthfully today. Don't exclude the past and don't include the future if it hasn't happened yet! :)

Hmmmm... this may complicate my application even more. Over the last 10 years, I've had so many jobs due to overlapping etc. I included the main ones (full time, main source of income), but didn't include short-lived, minimal hour jobs. I guess I should add those also. I did temping alongside family business and casual jobs for a few years which is why it's so messy.

That reminds me, it asks for the start/end dates (as in dd/mm/yyyy) for each job. Some of my roles didn't have exact start finish dates, and some I really have no record of the exact start/end dates. Is an estimation okay here do you think? Some of the employers aren't in business now also, so I can't even get records from them.

Remember what you can. These details are so that the KCC can do a background check. If you can't remember very short lived jobs, it's not going to be a big deal unless that short lived job was you fighting in Afghanistan for the Taliban. Then they might investigate further.

Estimate as best you can.

Hahaha, nope, definitely none of that. I guess I'll just add in what I can. Wow, thank you so much. I guess the naive side of me didn't even realise they would count. Now I get why they would!

Basically, they're trying to match you to a range of global databases. The more information you provide, the easier it is for KCC to connect the dots. If a red flag emerges, they'll put that on your file and, when you get to your interview, it will be raised. IMO, it's always preferable to not have to argue your case at interview. You really want that interview to be an administrative page turn (which it mostly is at Sydney).

:D Brilliant. Thanks for your help, thank makes a lot of sense!

This whole process is making it seem more real. Until now, it hasn't really hit me. Now I'm excited!

It's an exciting journey. Every stage brings new challenges but, once you get over that stage, you move to the next one. It's a brave decision to move countries. Very few people do it and, for those that do, it says (IMO) something very special and courageous.

There's a great expat community here in the US also, that supports each other. From get togethers to notifications of where there is cheap Vegemite, Aussies tend to band together over here.

That's what I love, actually! I was over visiting a kiwi friend in August (she won the DV lottery and has been based in LA for 5 years now) and went with her to a Kiwi/Aussie meet up. She goes to them quite a lot. Such a nice vibe!

Hi, just found this thread, was posting in the wrong one :oops:

My CN is 2017OC000002XX. I'll be interviewing in London though as I'm based in the UK. I wanted to delay submitting for DS-260 but am terrified to miss out so will try and submit by the end of the month?

I have quite a few concerns though, especially about police clearances from other countries. I lived in China on business visas and apparently it's not possible to get a clearance paper if you didn't have a residency permit.

You have a great CN, so you can delay if you want. Bear in mind it takes 2-3 months for the KCC to process your DS260 and then schedule your appointment (which is done a further six weeks in advance). So I wouldn't submit the DS260 in, for example, May next year as you may not get through the background checks in time. But a month or two delay now really makes no difference, unless you are super keen to interview in October.

For us, we knew we weren't interviewing until at least April, so we didn't submit the DS260 until July. We took our time, made sure our details were correct, got all our former addresses sorted. We checked and cross checked our data so that, when it came time to submit, we knew our application was watertight and we would not need to re-open (which is not a big deal, but it is a pain).

As for the police check, make sure to look at this page. If it's not possible to get a certificate, print out the relevant advice from this page and take it with you to the interview just in case: https://travel.state.gov/content/vi...re-selected/prepare-supporting-documents.html