• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2017 OC Selectees

Hi Emily, how did you organise your vaccination with your GP? I just went to see mine and he said for some shots, we need to do it a few times, some takes 6 months to complete. Did you complete all the required shots before going for the medical assessment for DV?

You do know that you won't need all the shots on the list? But your GP probably won't know which ones the panel doctor needs and which ones not. We got exempted from a bunch due to age.

Hi Emily, how did you organise your vaccination with your GP? I just went to see mine and he said for some shots, we need to do it a few times, some takes 6 months to complete. Did you complete all the required shots before going for the medical assessment for DV?

We had the list from the state.gov website and records of our immunizations. We knew there was some we would have to get redone regardless and some that couldn't be done (e.g. Flu shot we couldn't get done because it wasn't flu season and, as Susie says, there are some you exempted from on age (which our GP knew)). The GP we went to was pretty good and we saved a fair amount of cash doing it that way. There were still a couple that had to be done at the panel doctors and it cost a pretty penny.

I think I've buggered this up team. I answered the medical questionnaire honestly and said that I've used marijuana before regularly. It seems that this is a pretty cut and dry reason for denial. I do note that the doctors can then ask you to take a drug test, though she didn't with me. In the waiting room for my xray now and feel like I'm going to throw up.

I think I've buggered this up team. I answered the medical questionnaire honestly and said that I've used marijuana before regularly. It seems that this is a pretty cut and dry reason for denial. I do note that the doctors can then ask you to take a drug test, though she didn't with me. In the waiting room for my xray now and feel like I'm going to throw up.

Keep us posted please ... seeing as marijuana is decriminalized throughout so much of the US - though I'm not sure if that will make a difference to the visa process. Good luck.

Who told you it is a "cut and dry reason for denial"? It isn't.

Who told you it is a "cut and dry reason for denial"? It isn't.
Sorry, was probably being a bit of a sensationalist. I saw your own post in this forum from 2014 which said that it's down to the CO, but there are many, many more stories of one year bans being imposed for those who have admitted/been caught. However, those year bans seem to apply to different visa classes than the DV (K1 I think).

Simon, have you any anecdotal evidence on how users have gone in the past? NB - I was completely honest, and I have never been charged with anything or caught with anything (my police cert. reflects this) and I answered "no" to "has this every caused harm to others?".

Also, don't forget to gulp some water if you have an early morning appointment. Took four tries for them to get a lil vial of blood out of me. Also, if you're at Sonicare Flagstaff, get there about 20 minutes before your appointment as there's oodles of paperwork.

If your planning on a later interview stop smoking. It'll be good for your blood pressure haha. Also, even knowing I am feeling very nervous now, I stand by being honest. The assistant who took my blood was shocked I told the truth, but I know you can get a life time ban if you fib on an application for PR. Rather go through the lottery process again than be black listed.

Oh, and RE vaccinations, all mine were already recorded in that yellow Child Health record book that you're issued in Victoria, Australia. I'm not sure if other states (or NZ) do them. It saved me a bunch of time, tests and most importantly money. You can call your GP and make an appointment if you need to get copies again. The book didn't include any that I received at high school or after graduation, and that wasn't any hassle. It also didn't record any flu shots (I've only had one) and that wasn't a problem too.

The did ask some funny questions about my mental health after I said that I had thoughts of self harm over a decade and a half ago. They also checked if I was every diagnosed with anything (depression, ADHD, acute anxiety et. al.) I don't think this will affect my application. More nervous about the stuff above.

Finally, allow at least four hours for all this nonsense. I arrived at 8:45AM, walked to the radiologist around the corner and was seen at about 11:10AM and didn't make it to work until 12:05PM. My work and the radiologist are both on Collins St, Melbourne, so it wasn't a hike.

Last edited:
Sorry, was probably being a bit of a sensationalist. I saw your own post in this forum from 2014 which said that it's down to the CO, but there are many, many more stories of one year bans being imposed for those who have admitted/been caught. However, those year bans seem to apply to different visa classes than the DV (K1 I think).

Simon, have you any anecdotal evidence on how users have gone in the past? NB - I was completely honest, and I have never been charged with anything or caught with anything (my police cert. reflects this) and I answered "no" to "has this every caused harm to others?".

You are massively overthinking this. Assuming you weren't high at the interview, and tests don't show habitual use, it really should not be a problem. THe only real concern is when the physician will decide you are a habitual drug user - and then raise questions about your risk for becoming a public charge. That's it. Relax.

As for anecdotal evidence - yes - but it is case by case and depending on the physician.

You are massively overthinking this. Assuming you weren't high at the interview, and tests don't show habitual use, it really should not be a problem. THe only real concern is when the physician will decide you are a habitual drug user - and then raise questions about your risk for becoming a public charge. That's it. Relax.

As for anecdotal evidence - yes - but it is case by case and depending on the physician.
Hm, well the assistant did say that I wasn't being drug tested which is great, and no I wasn't high at the interview (work at midday on a Monday :eek:). I've got the requisite amount of funds to show I shouldn't be a public charge too.

You've had a really high (pun intended) success rate with saying ~relax~ before, so hopefully all will be well. Will update y'all in a fortnights time.

You do know that you won't need all the shots on the list? But your GP probably won't know which ones the panel doctor needs and which ones not. We got exempted from a bunch due to age.

I'm really interested in this topic. It's been the one thing I'm quite concerned about. I've had a look at the list of vaccinations, and would be interested to know which ones are actually required (and which I may be able to potentially rule out).

Due to medical reasons (not listed as contraindications as such), doctors have mostly (except for a few) advised AGAINST vaccinations for me. I'm really stressing about how this will pan out for me with my medical, and whether or not I'll have to make the ultimate decision of taking the risk (which may end unfavourably for me) of getting any required, or possibly having it acknowledged that, while not a listed contraindication, medical professionals advise against it for me. I'm also unsure how well a panel physician may be able to decipher the risk from one session with me (I have an extremely complicated medical history - nothing that will make me inadmissible, just complex!). Anyone have any thoughts or experience with this?

I'd at least like to be able to get additional medical advise prior to my panel medical if nothing else.

@BenCreswick Sounds like a very Aussie thing to me, being outrightly and profoundly honest above all else. I think you may have given them a little bit too much information though, like an overdeclaration? Did they really need to know about suicidal thoughts way back when?

I'm really interested in this topic. It's been the one thing I'm quite concerned about. I've had a look at the list of vaccinations, and would be interested to know which ones are actually required (and which I may be able to potentially rule out).

Due to medical reasons (not listed as contraindications as such), doctors have mostly (except for a few) advised AGAINST vaccinations for me. I'm really stressing about how this will pan out for me with my medical, and whether or not I'll have to make the ultimate decision of taking the risk (which may end unfavourably for me) of getting any required, or possibly having it acknowledged that, while not a listed contraindication, medical professionals advise against it for me. I'm also unsure how well a panel physician may be able to decipher the risk from one session with me (I have an extremely complicated medical history - nothing that will make me inadmissible, just complex!). Anyone have any thoughts or experience with this?

I'd at least like to be able to get additional medical advise prior to my panel medical if nothing else.

The physician decides what is required based on their understanding of your vaccination history (both from evidence and "normal" approaches in your country). They may decide against certain jabs, such as the flu jab, which is only required at certain times of the year. However, they will have a list of vaccinations they want to confirm you already have or will administer and will not give complete signoff without the list being met. You need that signoff to be able to emigrate.

@BenCreswick Sounds like a very Aussie thing to me, being outrightly and profoundly honest above all else. I think you may have given them a little bit too much information though, like an overdeclaration? Did they really need to know about suicidal thoughts way back when?

You have to answer the questions honestly. If they probe, you have to continue to be honest.

If it's all so medically complex I highly doubt anyone other than a doctor can give you sound or reliable advice.