• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2017 AOS Only

1. That form is not an I-134 which is the correct affidavit required in this case. Plus the documents being submitted in support of the affidavit needs to be current.

2. I can't quote a figure, one's annual is usually given more consideration. My suggestion is to find someone to fill out the affidavit of support for you.

What should the income of the person filing the I-134 be? Also, the person filling the form out would have to mail it to USCIS and go through that process. How long does this process take? Will he receive his forms back so he can give them to me so I can present them to the interviewer?

If you have real estate, should you bring the documents showing how much tax you're paying for that property and how much it's worth?

As a side note, I have been in the U.S. for close to 14 years now, a majority of that time I was on an F2 visa. Do you think they will ask me how I will support myself during my stay, considering I've been here for a while?

What should the income of the person filing the I-134 be? Also, the person filling the form out would have to mail it to USCIS and go through that process. How long does this process take? Will he receive his forms back so he can give them to me so I can present them to the interviewer?

If you have real estate, should you bring the documents showing how much tax you're paying for that property and how much it's worth?

As a side note, I have been in the U.S. for close to 14 years now, a majority of that time I was on an F2 visa. Do you think they will ask me how I will support myself during my stay, considering I've been here for a while?

1. Required income depends on the household size of your sponsor plus yours. I can't give you the income amount since I don't know the household size, you can however figure that out on your own from the following link:
https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-912p.pdf
The sponsor gives you the form (plus applicable supporting documents) and you include them with your AOS package, or take it along to your interview if the AOS package already got submitted without it.

2. Please refer to the I-134 form and the instructions provided by USCIS for guidance on how to list real estate on the I-134, and the supporting document(s) required.

3. If you're on a student visa, possibility of being asked to submit evidence of financial stability or support are rather high IMO.

UPDATES

USCIS has released an eight page new version of the I-134 form to be used effective 2/27/2017. If your interview will be taking place on or after February 27th, or you're yet to send in your AOS package and you're preparing to include an affidavit of support, be sure to use the new version.

https://www.uscis.gov/i-134

1. Required income depends on the household size of your sponsor plus yours. I can't give you the income amount since I don't know the household size, you can however figure that out on your own from the following link:
The sponsor gives you the form (plus applicable supporting documents) and you include them with your AOS package, or take it along to your interview if the AOS package already got submitted without it.

2. Please refer to the I-134 form and the instructions provided by USCIS for guidance on how to list real estate on the I-134, and the supporting document(s) required.

3. If you're on a student visa, possibility of being asked to submit evidence of financial stability or support are rather high IMO.

If I'm living with my 2 brothers, one who is a citizen and is not an adult (12 yrs old), the other isn't and he is an adult, would my household size be 3 (including me) or would it just be 1 (me) since my brothers aren't my dependents?

For the real estate, it's not the sponsors it's mine - under my name. The I-134 only has me fill out basic information such as my name, spouse's name if I have any, country of citizenship, etc., nothing financial. Only the sponsor would fill out the financial stuff.

Last edited:
UPDATES

USCIS has released an eight page new version of the I-134 form to be used effective 2/27/2017. If your interview will be taking place on or after February 27th, or you're yet to send in your AOS package and you're preparing to include an affidavit of support, be sure to use the new version.

https://www.uscis.gov/i-134

If we've already mailed in our AOS forms, including a filled but old version I-134 form, but expect to have an interview after that date, should we bring a new I-134 form (filled out again by the sponsor) to the interview or leave things as they are?

If I'm living with my 2 brothers, one who is a citizen, the other isn't, would my household size be 3 (including me)?

For the real estate, it's not the sponsors it's mine - under my name. The I-134 only has me fill out basic information such as my name, spouse's name if I have any, country of citizenship, etc., nothing financial. Only the sponsor would fill out the financial stuff.

1. No, you (as in you the selectee) do not have a household of 3, you have a household of 1 assuming you're single with no child of your own.

Is your USC brother providing you with the I-134? Is he single? Is he financially responsible for your none USC brother? If the answer to all 3 questions are yes, then your brother has a household of 2 plus your, the person being sponsored. So he needs to earn the applicable income for a household of 3.

Having a real estate of your own is no proof you're not likely to become a public charge. However, having the documents related to the property on hand when you do go for your interview may not be a bad idea. I don't think they will request for it though. Nonetheless I suggest you be prepared with proof of how you came about the property considering you've been in the US for 14 years and you were not eligible to work for most part.

If we've already mailed in our AOS forms, including a filled but old version I-134 form, but expect to have an interview after that date, should we bring a new I-134 form (filled out again by the sponsor) to the interview or leave things as they are?

If your sponsor is open to the idea of filling out the new form, it may not be a bad idea to do so. If the sponsor is unwilling, attend your interview with what you have since you submitted the original version prior to the effective date of the new form.

Looking at the spreadsheet (timelines) I see just a few people receiving the IL in 2017, it is normal ? my D-i-L and son both got through the biometrics on Dec 9th and I wonder if they should expect a notification after this step is completed or just manage some patiente and wait for their IL?

Thanks

Hello everyone,
I had my interview on Jan. 12.
it was the simplest interview that you can imagine. the officer just asked for the interview appointment paper, my passport and my drivers license.
at first I swear to tell the truth.
and then we went trough the I485 form. he asked about 80 % of the question in the form again. my answer was just like yes, and no.
then he scanned the barcode on my file and on the appointment letter. then printed a paper which is said that my application is approved and my green card will be delivered in 180 days. but he said in 30 to 45 days. in the paper it is mentioned that you can have a temporary stamp for your green card that you can apply for a job or traveling with that stamp.
and he said consider your self as a permanent resident from now.
he didn't check any of my documents.
just this . and everything finished in less than 10 minutes.

just a few tips:
don't go there very soon. just 30 min before your appointment, they can do check in process for you.
I asked the officer about the financial support. he said if you are student and have enough salary, that's enough you don't need any one to support you. (That's what he said, I am not recommending anything).
he asked about the name on my green-card. I didn't want to change my name.
they are not calling the numbers in correct order. each of you is assigned to a officer. when ever he or she is free, will call the numbers he/she has. just be patient. for me it took about 50 minuets.
don't have any stress. it's going to be the simplest interview in your life. even much easier than the one you had for getting your visa.

I hope all of you can have your green card as soon as possible with no problem.

I should thank everyone in this forum who helped me in this process. Thank you so much.

Hello everyone,
it was the simplest interview that you can imagine. the officer just asked for the interview appointment paper, my passport and my drivers license.
and then we went trough the I485 form. he asked about 80 % of the question in the form again. my answer was just like yes, and no.
then he scanned the barcode on my file and on the appointment letter. then printed a paper which is said that my application is approved and my green card will be delivered in 180 days. but he said in 30 to 45 days. in the paper it is mentioned that you can have a temporary stamp for your green card that you can apply for a job or traveling with that stamp.

just a few tips:
don't go there very soon. just 30 min before your appointment, they can do check in process for you.
I asked the officer about the financial support. he said if you are student and have enough salary, that's enough you don't need any one to support you. (That's what he said, I am not recommending anything).
they are not calling the numbers in correct order. each of you is assigned to a officer. when ever he or she is free, will call the numbers he/she has. just be patient. for me it took about 50 minuets.
don't have any stress. it's going to be the simplest interview in your life. even much easier than the one you had for getting your visa.

I should thank everyone in this forum who helped me in this process. Thank you so much.
Hello Sama1380, Congrats! may I know how long you have to wait for the interview letter after you did your biometrics? and the time lapse between receiving the IL and the interview date? Thanks you have a nice day

Looking at the spreadsheet (timelines) I see just a few people receiving the IL in 2017, it is normal ? my D-i-L and son both got through the biometrics on Dec 9th and I wonder if they should expect a notification after this step is completed or just manage some patiente and wait for their IL?

Thanks

You're not using the spreadsheet correctly, so it is hard to say what is 'normal'. Interview notification receipt is FO dependent. What is your DIL's FO? Use the spreadsheet to get an idea of how long it has taken others from the same FO to get their ILs in the past. Don't focus on everyone else on the spreadsheet. Some FOs have heavier workloads compared to others, interviews are scheduled based on each FOs applicable work schedule.

You're not using the spreadsheet correctly, so it is hard to say what is 'normal'. Interview notification receipt is FO dependent. What is your DIL's FO? Use the spreadsheet to get an idea of how long it has taken others from the same FO to get their ILs in the past. Don't focus on everyone else on the spreadsheet. Some FOs have heavier workloads compared to others, interviews are scheduled based on each FOs applicable work schedule.
Thank you I do appreciate your quick response. My DIL FO is San Diego CA which is the only USCIS FO as far as I know.

Thank you I do appreciate your quick response. My DIL FO is San Diego CA which is the only USCIS FO as far as I know.

Looking through the past Timeline spreadsheets, we don't seem to have data that can guide us on the San Diego FO's average processing time of DV based AOS cases. However seeing there is another DV2017 petitioner that has been waiting for their IL since Oct 10th following the completion of their bio, it looks like that FO may be one of the not so easy FOs. They may not even be used to DV based AOS cases. I suggest your DIL go on an INFOPASS to follow up on the case in person.

As an aside, this is precisely why I kept harping on you to get your DIL and your son to actively take responsibility for their case. Your willingness to assist is great, however because you can't go on these visits with them, and because they've not been following up on the case on their own or doing the necessary research in person, I do feel they will have a tough time asking the right questions or knowing what to do when they go on the INFOPASS appointment(s).

Hello Sama1380, Congrats! may I know how long you have to wait for the interview letter after you did your biometrics? and the time lapse between receiving the IL and the interview date? Thanks you have a nice day
Thank you.
It was 55 days between biometric and letter of appointment and 9 days between the letter and the interview.
you can not conclude that it may be similar for you. I hope you receive it so soon.

Hello everyone,

just a few tips:

I forgot to say that my status changed at the same day. "new card is being produced."

As an aside, this is precisely why I kept harping on you to get your DIL and your son to actively take responsibility for their case. Your willingness to assist is great, however because you can't go on these visits with them, and because they've not been following up on the case on their own or doing the necessary research in person, I do feel they will have a tough time asking the right questions or knowing what to do when they go on the INFOPASS appointment(s).

Agree 1000%. I find it very strange that the parent of someone old enough to be married is apparently doing all the work here. (Of course, we don't know what they have or haven't been doing on their own or even if they have asked Luis to be doing all this or not...)

Hey Sm1smom, I did my biometrics two weeks ago and less than a week after that I received a letter from my field office. The letter was form G-56 and it starts with "Please come to the location shown below at the time indicated in connection with an official matter" and then it mentions the location, when, reason as "complete I-485", what to bring (they are only asking me to bring my ID, any travel documents and the appointment letter). I checked my status online and there was no updates after the notice of action. So I am wondering if this letter that I received is an interview letter or it might be something else?

Hey Sm1smom, I did my biometrics two weeks ago and less than a week after that I received a letter from my field office. The letter was form G-56 and it starts with "Please come to the location shown below at the time indicated in connection with an official matter" and then it mentions the location, when, reason as "complete I-485", what to bring (they are only asking me to bring my ID, any travel documents and the appointment letter). I checked my status online and there was no updates after the notice of action. So I am wondering if this letter that I received is an interview letter or it might be something else?

Yes that is your IL.