• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2017 AOS Only

Hello, I got selected for Dv 2017. I have lived in the US as F1 student for 7 years. In this time, I have applied for Credit Cards and Apartments stating that I am employed and make enough money to support myself, saying that I make >$20,000 a year even when I have not worked. Is this a potential problem in the interview ? Can they know about all these stuffs ? And can they access my banking documents ?

1. Probably not
2. No
3. Not if you don't provide them

Hi Mom,
One of my friends who won the DV lottery has a high case number that is AS6*** he is scared that his number might not become current until maybe late August or even September. Looking at the timeline he is scared that he might not finish processing within September 30 due to delays in past AOS processes.
He is actually thinking of switching to CP
1. Do you think that is possible now?
2. What are the possible consequences for switching ?

1. We've had selectees who became current in August/September who successfully completed the AOS process and got their GC. It's stressful but possible.

2. KCC may require a couple of months to process the DS260 form before scheduling a CP interview, so he needs to act soon if he wants to change.

Take a look at the AOS process spreadsheet for the pros and cons of AOS compared to CP.

I got the approval notice! I want to sincerely thank mom and this thread- without it, I would have stumbled along the way.

It is interesting how even one "small" forum can have a life-changing impact on hundreds of lives- a thing I probably should keep in mind as I get the change in status. God bless this thread, and God bless America!
Good Morning MindCurious, would you please tell me how long it took your GC approval after doing the biometrics? did you received an Interview Letter or just received the approval notice?
Thanks and God Bless you!
Regards, Luis

Hi Mom,
I am a selectee DV-2017, my case is particular, I have a pending political asylum case so I already have my authorization to work and I already went through the biometrics collection. I arrived here with F1 visa and I have been keeping that status as student since I read it is easier to pass through AOS being a student than political asylum petitioner, because F1 is a lawful status and the political asylum is not.
I have been reading all the information you have provided and now I know how to proceed. I am almost sure that my case number will be current in March, but I prefer not to send the AOS package until the first day of my current month.
I would like to ask you for some comments that you could give me about my case and what you think about it.
I really appreciate your help and everything you are doing to clarify the AOS process.

Hi Mom,
I am a selectee DV-2017, my case is particular, I have a pending political asylum case so I already have my authorization to work and I already went through the biometrics collection. I arrived here with F1 visa and I have been keeping that status as student since I read it is easier to pass through AOS being a student than political asylum petitioner, because F1 is a lawful status and the political asylum is not.
I have been reading all the information you have provided and now I know how to proceed. I am almost sure that my case number will be current in March, but I prefer not to send the AOS package until the first day of my current month.
I would like to ask you for some comments that you could give me about my case and what you think about it.
I really appreciate your help and everything you are doing to clarify the AOS process.

I unfortunately can't simply make a comment regarding your case, that's too broad of a request I'm afraid. I encourage you to ask specific questions, if at all you have any, and I will be happy to respond if I know the answer(s).

I hope one day soon, this type of bureaucracy and paper works ends in USA and everything become online by internet. Swear to god In my own country most of these kinda paperworks are already extinct and every single thing has become online and due to this change updating the status of any single affair is easier.
Since May 2016 we are in a situation with no information regarding this process in addition to time consuming process of every step. Longong for mail, opening mailbox everyday to see a letter or notice is becoming more than boring. Thanks to Mom and this Forum by which we have more information and less nervous about the process.

I hope one day soon, this type of bureaucracy and paper works ends in USA and everything become online by internet. Swear to god In my own country most of these kinda paperworks are already extinct and every single thing has become online and due to this change updating the status of any single affair is easier.
Since May 2016 we are in a situation with no information regarding this process in addition to time consuming process of every step. Longong for mail, opening mailbox everyday to see a letter or notice is becoming more than boring. Thanks to Mom and this Forum by which we have more information and less nervous about the process.

I understand you're feeling frustrated, but I honestly have to call you out on this post.

I don't know of any other highly desired country that makes permanent residency available to so many people year after year such as this. It's costing you practically nothing to get this, your petition as a matter of fact is being highly prioritized over those of several others who are paying a lot more for their petitions and have to meet numerous requirements in other to be approved - I think it's such a shame that you find justification in comparing how things work so much better in your country compared to the US system!

Mind you if you registered online for notifications - as advised on the AOS process spreadsheet - you wouldn't have had to be making endless journeys to your mail box. You would have received notifications whenever something is mailed out to you or there's some change on your online status.

FYI: The ability to process your selection (and your being selected for the visa lottery as a matter of fact) is not a right. It is a privilege!

Hm, most stuff is online in my country too, but that's mainly because theft and fraud through the postal system is so rife that no one trusts it anymore. I kinda like living somewhere where I can trust that if something is sent to me, I'll receive it. Never mind that USCIS has in fact made many things online that used to be mail only- such as the DS230 and various other forms. And didn't you register for text notifications?

I understand you're feeling frustrated, but I honestly have to call you out on this post.

I don't know of any other highly desired country that makes permanent residency available to so many people year after year such as this. It's costing you practically nothing to get this, your petition as a matter of fact is being highly prioritized over those of several others who are paying a lot more for their petitions and have to meet numerous requirements in other to be approved - I think it's such a shame that you find justification in comparing how things work so much better in your country compared to the US system!

Mind you if you registered online for notifications - as advised on the AOS process spreadsheet - you wouldn't have had to be making endless journeys to your mail box. You would have received notifications whenever something is mailed out to you or there's some change on your online status.

FYI: The ability to process your selection (and your being selected for the visa lottery as a matter of fact) is not a right. It is a privilege!
You got me wrong, I am thankful and appreciate this al the time and My point was not complaining about that. I have been lucky to be selected as a winner in Dv visa. I did fill out the online notifications but I have not received any ypdate on my email or telephone.
Please do not get me wrong I did not say I had a right to have green card, US is a liberal country and Every one is free to state his poin of view about any flaw in order to make this country a better place for others and future generations.
I hope my explanations solved this misunderstanding and clarified any ambiguity

Last edited:
Hm, most stuff is online in my country too, but that's mainly because theft and fraud through the postal system is so rife that no one trusts it anymore. I kinda like living somewhere where I can trust that if something is sent to me, I'll receive it. Never mind that USCIS has in fact made many things online that used to be mail only- such as the DS230 and various other forms. And didn't you register for text notifications?
I did but unfortunately I haven't got any notifications since then.

You got me wrong, I am thankful and appreciate this al the time and My point was not complaining about that. I have been lucky to be selected as a winner in Dv visa. I did fill out the online notifications but I have not received any ypdate on my email or telephone.
Please do not get me wrong I did not say I had a right to have green card, US is a liberal country and Every one is free to state his poin of view about any flaw in order to make this country a better place for others and future generations.
I hope my explanations solved this misunderstanding and clarified any ambiguity

Explanation appreciated. However, the truth is the system isn't necessarily flawed, you just don't seem to understand the process. And I really get ticked off when people criticize something they do not understand. No country provides a complete step by step immigration guidance - USCIS isn't an exception here.

The reason you haven't received any notification is because your FO is yet to mail your IL, which means there's no reason to be checking the mailbox daily for the IL and getting frustrated when it's not there. If you signed up online, you will be notified when the IL gets mailed. The system works!

I've explained over and over that the FOs operate on different schedules - each one's workload determines when an interview gets scheduled. Some don't even schedule an interview prior to approving the petition. For all you know, your background check clearance may still be pending as a matter of fact, such a situation is out of the FO's hands and some FOs wouldn't schedule an interview if the background check clearance is still pending.

The entire process requires a decent amount of patience.

Explanation appreciated. However, the truth is the system isn't necessarily flawed, you just don't seem to understand the process. And I really get ticked off when people criticize something they do not understand. No country provides a complete step by step immigration guidance - USCIS isn't an exception here.

The reason you haven't received any notification is because your FO is yet to mail your IL, which means there's no reason to be checking the mailbox daily for the IL and getting frustrated when it's not there. If you signed up online, you will be notified when the IL gets mailed. The system works!

I've explained over and over that the FOs operate on different schedules - each one's workload determines when an interview gets scheduled. Some don't even schedule an interview prior to approving the petition. For all you know, your background check clearance may still be pending as a matter of fact, such a situation is out of the FO's hands and some FOs wouldn't schedule an interview if the background check clearance is still pending.

The entire process requires a decent amount of patience.
Thabk you for the time and this clarification, the process is now vivid to me. Thanks

@Sm1smom
I checked the processing times and the timelines for 2017, Looking at the timeline for 2016 the process for 2017 seems to be processing faster for several cases that started their processing in Oct/Nov, is this assumption of mine correct ?
Secondly, I see that their are less issues with KCC file not being sent, or background checks this year. As I have not heard the BC being an issue so far this year ?
Can I make these assumptions ? What do you think ?

Can I file form I-131 to attend my brothers wedding(June) in my birth country? Im hoping to post the AOS documents soon along with this advance parole form but they say this "you seek to travel abroad temporarily for “urgent humanitarian reasons” or in furtherance of a “signifcant public beneft,” which may include a
personal or family emergency or bona fde business reasons ". Could a wedding fall into this category?

@Sm1smom
I checked the processing times and the timelines for 2017, Looking at the timeline for 2016 the process for 2017 seems to be processing faster for several cases that started their processing in Oct/Nov, is this assumption of mine correct ?
Secondly, I see that their are less issues with KCC file not being sent, or background checks this year. As I have not heard the BC being an issue so far this year ?
Can I make these assumptions ? What do you think ?

Processing is FO dependent, I wouldn't make a generalized statement that this year appears faster than last years. Your assumption is like comparing apples to oranges. With regards to the October cases, are we talking about the same FOs for the 2016 and 2017 cases?

Yes so far there hasn't been any report of delayed KCC files for DV 2017. Bear in mind we're less than 4 full months into the process, plus majority of the 2016 didn't experience delayed KCC files either. And pending background checks wasn't applicable to all either, it was and still is specific to certain individuals.

Can I file form I-131 to attend my brothers wedding(June) in my birth country? Im hoping to post the AOS documents soon along with this advance parole form but they say this "you seek to travel abroad temporarily for “urgent humanitarian reasons” or in furtherance of a “signifcant public beneft,” which may include a
personal or family emergency or bona fde business reasons ". Could a wedding fall into this category?

Yes you may include an I-131 based on needing to attend your brother's wedding. The part you quoted is applicable only if your I-131 is based on pending DACA petition, which it's not.

Processing is FO dependent, I wouldn't make a generalized statement that this year appears faster than last years. Your assumption is like comparing apples to oranges. With regards to the October cases, are we talking about the same FOs for the 2016 and 2017 cases?

Yes so far there hasn't been any report of delayed KCC files for DV 2017. Bear in mind we're less than 4 full months into the process, plus majority of the 2016 didn't experience delayed KCC files either. And pending background checks wasn't applicable to all either, it was and still is specific to certain individuals.
What I meant by the KCC files was that, none of the applicants have reported that they were told in the interview that the IO is waiting for the KCC file before they approve the case. And regarding the background checks, are the individuals native to countries like Nepal subject to extensive background processing ?

The instruction is for all documents in foreign language to be translated into English AND for the translated copy to be accompanied by a certified statement from the translator attesting to their fluency in both English and the language the document is being translated from.
I have the B/C translated from the Government Agency i.e. The Municipality of my birthplace. It has the stamp of the government and it is translated by the municipality not by a specific translator. In this case do I still need to provide the certified statement from the translator ? Since it is not a translator but the municipality.

when filling the I-131 advanced parole form for temporary overseas travel, If I explain in part 7 the purpose of the trip, do I have to again attach a separate paper with the purpose, as it is stated in part 7 of the form ?