• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2017 AOS Only

Dear Sm1smom,

I graduated in December 2015 as a STEM student and am now on OPT. I am planning to extend it in November. My case number is EU146xx. I did send in the $330 and got a receipt already. I hope my number becomes current next month on the bulletin. I have a few questions:

Do I prepare my AOS packet now and get my physical exam done or wait until the number is current? (I know some FO's deny early AOS packages, is that still so?)

Do you have a realistic idea of when the interview would be? (I am just very nervous about staying om OPT and F-1 status)

I have read that the translations of documents do not have to be done by a certified translator, is that correct?

Thank you so much! I am just EXTREMELY nervous about getting everything done correctly and timely.

Dear Sm1smom,

I graduated in December 2015 as a STEM student and am now on OPT. I am planning to extend it in November. My case number is EU146xx. I did send in the $330 and got a receipt already. I hope my number becomes current next month on the bulletin. I have a few questions:

Do I prepare my AOS packet now and get my physical exam done or wait until the number is current? (I know some FO's deny early AOS packages, is that still so?)

Do you have a realistic idea of when the interview would be? (I am just very nervous about staying om OPT and F-1 status)

I have read that the translations of documents do not have to be done by a certified translator, is that correct?

Thank you so much! I am just EXTREMELY nervous about getting everything done correctly and timely.

1. Please go through the AOS process spreadsheet - link to the spreadsheet can be found on the first post on page one of this Thread.

2. I don't. Refer to the past Timelines spreadsheets to get an idea of the average processing time, especially as applicable to your FO. Links to the Timelines spreadsheets can be found on the AOS process spreadsheet referenced above.

3. Correct. It however needs to include a signed certify statement by the translator.

I got 2NL from KCC today in 14 days after submission. Also got DV fee payment receipt yesterday in 2 weeks. But in both, they write my address that I had used while registering for the DV lottery. I had updated my new address both in DS-260 and in the letter included with DV fee payment cheque. Actually, I had entered the address of my office during the lottery registration which is not used/mentioned anywhere else. Does that matter or I can keep on writing my updated address ahead in AOS packages?

Thanks!

Use your current home address for your AOS forms.

Today I got my AOS package was rejected and mailed back to me. I do not understand the reason. The reason they mentioned is that your application is received eitehr prior to the beginning or subsequent to the end of the fiscal year for which you were selected. This is while my case number is current due to bulletin in October and due USCIS website we can file it 6 weeks before it is current and my package arrived there on September 20. What does this mean? I don't understand why they have rejected me. Many others whose case number was current in October have filed already and it got accepted. Would you help me with that?

Today I got my AOS package was rejected and mailed back to me. I do not understand the reason. The reason they mentioned is that your application is received eitehr prior to the beginning or subsequent to the end of the fiscal year for which you were selected. This is while my case number is current due to bulletin in October and due USCIS website we can file it 6 weeks before it is current and my package arrived there on September 20. What does this mean? I don't understand why they have rejected me. Many others whose case number was current in October have filed already and it got accepted. Would you help me with that?

Even though what the "Early Filling Memo" says, there are still some FO that reject the packages that come in before your number is current... I think now you just have to re-send it, once your number is current. If it's current already, go ahead and send it again.

It is not unusual for the Chicago Lockbox or the FO to reject or deny the AOS petition due to early filing, regardless of what the early filing memo or the information which is publicly available of USCIS's website says. Since your CN is current in October and this is already October, you just have to resend the package. Being rejected at this stage is a lot better (since your check hasn't been cashed) than being denied when the package gets to the FO (in this case your payment would have gone through and it's none refundable).

It is not unusual for the Chicago Lockbox or the FO to reject or deny the AOS petition due to early filing, regardless of what the early filing memo or the information which is publicly available of USCIS's website says. Since your CN is current in October and this is already October, you just have to resend the package. Being rejected at this stage is a lot better (since your check hasn't been cashed) than being denied when the package gets to the FO (in this case your payment would have gone through and it's none refundable).
I see..!! Another thing is that for my wife's application they have said "you must include your congratulatory letter from KCC in your application". While, I was the one who won the lottery not my wife and I have already included that in my application and my wife does not have such letter. She is applying as the applicant's spouse. It is so weird

I see..!! Another thing is that for my wife's application they have said "you must include your congratulatory letter from KCC in your application". While, I was the one who won the lottery not my wife and I have already included that in my application and my wife does not have such letter. She is applying as the applicant's spouse. It is so weird

Yep, since you already had the winning notification letter in your package there's no reason for them to make a fuss about its absence from your wife's package as your derivative. However, it seems like they may have a couple of new people working at the Chicago Lockbox now, another forum member @Eren DAG had his package rejected for more or less the same reason - his story below:
http://forums.immigration.com/threads/dv-2017-aos-only.331328/page-45#post-2443531

Looks like I need to update the AOS process spreadsheet with this new detail regarding a derivative's package.

Good day,

Thanks for the valuable information contained in the spreadsheet. I am a winner of DV2017 Case number AF136xx. My case number will be current in December. Please, I have the following question if I am qualified for AOS.

1. I was F1 student and applied for asylum in Dec 2015. The school put me out of status in February 2016 because I did not enroll for Fall 2016 semester. Up to date, I have not yet received any update of my asylum case and it is still pending. Do I qualify to apply for AOS?

2. I lost my original high school diploma in December 2014 just before I traveled to the US as F1 student. However, I have the certified true copy dated Oct 2014 and that's what I have been using since. The issuing body in my country said only one original certificate is delivered. Will USCIS accept the certified copy?

Thanks

Good day,

Thanks for the valuable information contained in the spreadsheet. I am a winner of DV2017 Case number AF136xx. My case number will be current in December. Please, I have the following question if I am qualified for AOS.

1. I was F1 student and applied for asylum in Dec 2015. The school put me out of status in February 2016 because I did not enroll for Fall 2016 semester. Up to date, I have not yet received any update of my asylum case and it is still pending. Do I qualify to apply for AOS?

2. I lost my original high school diploma in December 2014 just before I traveled to the US as F1 student. However, I have the certified true copy dated Oct 2014 and that's what I have been using since. The issuing body in my country said only one original certificate is delivered. Will USCIS accept the certified copy?

Thanks

1. Did you receive a NOA from USCIS for your asylum petition before your school terminated you in SEVIS? Have you at any point undertaken unauthorized employment?

2. The certified true copy is okay.

Yes, I received the NOA on January 7th before the school terminated my SEVIS. I even applied for an employee authorization and received it in July.

Yes, I received the NOA on January 7th before the school terminated my SEVIS. I even applied for an employee authorization and received it in July.

Based on this response and assuming you've never undertaken unauthorized employment from the very first day you were admitted into the US, then you're eligible for AOS processing.

Thanks a lot for the reply. I have never taken unauthorized employment and I am still even unemployed till now

Just a thought, if you have an EAD but haven't been working you may have a problem meeting the public charge requirement. Do you have someone to fill in an I134 for you?

Can we ask our field office that they accept petitions prior to the CN being current or not? Do they answer this question?

How do you know which Field office and ASC office will be handling our case?

I have not received yet my NOA- receipt, I hope that it will have the details. I see people updating the DV 2017 AOS timeline sheet with the details of Field office and ASC in the sheet even before the application is accepted and NOA is received, just curious to know. thanks

I have not received yet my NOA- receipt, I hope that it will have the details. I see people updating the DV 2017 AOS timeline sheet with the details of Field office and ASC in the sheet even before the application is accepted and NOA is received, just curious to know. thanks

It depends where you live. The address you give them as your current domicile assigns you a FO.

use Field Office Locator in this link

Can we ask our field office that they accept petitions prior to the CN being current or not? Do they answer this question?

You may ask - you will need to go on an INFOPASS appointment in order to do this since the FOs can't be reached by phone.

Will they answer? You probably wouldn't get a clear or precise response from them. As a matter of fact, they will probably give you a generic response regarding the need to wait until your priority date becomes current before filing.