• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2017 AOS Only

Hi Mom,
I have a question regarding the various stages the aos application goes through once submitted. Does the NBC wait for a request from FO before submitting i485 or they submit as soon as you complete Biometric appointment? I went for an infopass last week and the IO told me they just received my file on Feb. 24th 2017. I submitted my application October 2016 and was current in November 2016. I know the file she was referring to cannot possibly be KCC file because I had initially been told by KCC my file hasn't been requested. So my question is does NBC sends i485 package to FO based on a request?

The I-485 file automatically gets sent by the NBC to the FO, same way the Lockbox sends the entire package to the NBC - no request required.

I'm not quite sure what happened in your case though. Either the IO you met at your INFOPASS lied or the NBC dropped the ball in this particular case. To the best of my knowledge, NBC doesn't hold on to the case file same way the Lockbox doesn't. They schedule the bio and send out the case file right away to the FO who is responsible for scheduling the interview.

The NBC does not wait for the bio results before sending the case file which explains the reports of some petitioners getting their IL before they've even gone for the bio or right after doing the biometrics.

Dear Mom: I talked to a lawyer and he said: Waiting till the 6 minths of Background finished then we can file it to ask for a decision.
Do you know how this procedue works?

Dear Mom: I talked to a lawyer and he said: Waiting till the 6 minths of Background finished then we can file it to ask for a decision.
Do you know how this procedue works?

I'm guessing the lawyer is talking along the line of filing a writ of mandamus against USCIS. Well, one thing I do know is that you're doing nothing more than throwing money away if you think hiring a lawyer to file a writ of mandamus is likely to help at this point.

Six months of waiting for a decision following the background check is not unusual. AFAIK, people only file the writ of mandamus if they've been waiting for years, not six months. But it's your case, it's your money, do what you think is best for you.

Hi,

I have a few question regarding the affidavit of support.

Which documents are necessary to send with the I134? The instructions state that a letter from the bank is necessary.
Are the tax transcripts necessary or are they recommended? W2s? bank statements?

Hi,

I have a few question regarding the affidavit of support.

Which documents are necessary to send with the I134? The instructions state that a letter from the bank is necessary.
Are the tax transcripts necessary or are they recommended? W2s? bank statements?

Please take a look at the AOS process spreadsheet for the recommended list of documents.

Hi all!

I'm happy to share the news that i received my GC earlier this week!

The interview went extremely smooth. The IO was apparently having a good day - was cracking jokes from the very first moment and smiling all the time.

The only concern that the IO had was with the translations of my documents - those were notarized, but it wasn't clear that the notary was fluent in the language. There needs to be a note indicating that the notary speaks/knows the language of the original document. I said that it made absolute sense, but i didn't know the process, and the IO said that he would accept those.

Other than that, I carried every single document i could think of, but was asked for none (except the interview notice)! But as it usually happens - had i not done so, they would ask for something that i didn't have, plus i was very calm and confident knowing that i had a solid backup;)

I too want to mention the importance of being early! I timed my travel so that i reach 15mins early, but a 7-story parking lot that i planned to park at was full, with no alternatives nearby, so i had to do a few loops before i found a spot and then run like crazy. I ended up being 5 mins late, which had no effect, but it certainly could, and was very unpleasant.

I can't thank this forum organizers enough for providing such a treasure of knowledge base and real-life advice. Thanks a lot, and i'll be happy to share with what i can to help fellow GC-ers in this journey!

Well, I've been reluctant to create a DV 2017 AOS Thread as I wanted an actual selectee to have the honor :p of doing that. However, it looks like we may end up with individual Threads being created if this isn't done soon.

So here's an AOS Thread for the lucky selectees already based in the U.S. and planning on processing AOS. Please go through the attached spreadsheet, (it will do you a world of good), and post subsequent questions regarding the processing on this Thread.

Best of luck through the journey!
Thank you so, so much - the spreadsheet is great! I have a specific question. I am in US on an approved H1B visa since 2012. My employer A just applied for amendment to my H1B to reduce my hours from 40 to 15. A month ago I had employer B file petition for me for concurrent employment for 20 hours/week. Since my employer A filed the amendment - I have been working for employer A 15 hours and for employer B 20 per week. H1B visa for employer B is still pending. My DV number is current and I will file everything (as per spreadsheet) in the next couple of days. Employer A told me they indent to let me go by April 15, 2017. By then - I will have filed I-485, but my number is current for May - I will file under the advance notification. I expect my visa with employer B to still be pending. Will loosing employment with employer A prior to the interview (but after filing I-485) be an issue? I am aware as of January 17th, 2017 H1B holders are given 60 day grace period. If I show up for the interview and I am no longer with employer A and visa with employer B is still pending - is this an issue? Thank you.

Hi all!

The interview went extremely smooth. The IO was apparently having a good day - was cracking jokes from the very first moment and smiling all the time.

The only concern that the IO had was with the translations of my documents - those were notarized, but it wasn't clear that the notary was fluent in the language. There needs to be a note indicating that the notary speaks/knows the language of the original document. I said that it made absolute sense, but i didn't know the process, and the IO said that he would accept those.

Other than that, I carried every single document i could think of, but was asked for none (except the interview notice)! But as it usually happens - had i not done so, they would ask for something that i didn't have, plus i was very calm and confident knowing that i had a solid backup;)

I too want to mention the importance of being early! I timed my travel so that i reach 15mins early, but a 7-story parking lot that i planned to park at was full, with no alternatives nearby, so i had to do a few loops before i found a spot and then run like crazy. I ended up being 5 mins late, which had no effect, but it certainly could, and was very unpleasant.

I can't thank this forum organizers enough for providing such a treasure of knowledge base and real-life advice. Thanks a lot, and i'll be happy to share with what i can to help fellow GC-ers in this journey!

Thanks for sharing your experience :) congratz !

Hi all!

Congrats on your approval and best of luck to you

Thank you so, so much - the spreadsheet is great! I have a specific question. I am in US on an approved H1B visa since 2012. My employer A just applied for amendment to my H1B to reduce my hours from 40 to 15. A month ago I had employer B file petition for me for concurrent employment for 20 hours/week. Since my employer A filed the amendment - I have been working for employer A 15 hours and for employer B 20 per week. H1B visa for employer B is still pending. My DV number is current and I will file everything (as per spreadsheet) in the next couple of days. Employer A told me they indent to let me go by April 15, 2017. By then - I will have filed I-485, but my number is current for May - I will file under the advance notification. I expect my visa with employer B to still be pending. Will loosing employment with employer A prior to the interview (but after filing I-485) be an issue? I am aware as of January 17th, 2017 H1B holders are given 60 day grace period. If I show up for the interview and I am no longer with employer A and visa with employer B is still pending - is this an issue? Thank you.

I'm sorry I cannot give the reassurance you're looking for, your situation is a bit more complicated. I can only comment on straight forward cases, you may need to speak with an experienced immigration attorney to find out where you stand.

Hello Everyone,
today I found a window for info pass and I booked it. When I came home I received an email stating that my new card is shipped and on my status it says your case is approved. Does this mean I am officially green?
When I checked my husband nothing changed.

Hello Everyone,
today I found a window for info pass and I booked it. When I came home I received an email stating that my new card is shipped and on my status it says your case is approved. Does this mean I am officially green?
When I checked my husband nothing changed.

Yup! That's what it means.

Yup! That's what it means.
Thank you all for this amazing forum.
Special thanks to Mom, thank you so much for everything. Having the Green Card will change a lot of things in my life and I am so grateful.
I believe in faith and founding the spreadsheet was faith then seeing this website and then seeing everyone experience gave me comfort in how to move forward.

Good luck to you all and to my husband.

Thank you once again

So we received our Welcome Letter today and our card has been mailed to us and hopefully we will get it in a day or so. I'd like to express my appreciation to all of you especially Mom for your great help. This forum has been so helpful to me during the past 8 months. I have benefited a lot from your advises. As far as the interview, it was very simple and smooth. The officer did not ask for anything except our passport, IL, and also our wedding album. She just wanted to make sure that my wife is my real spouse. That's it.

Thank you all for this amazing forum.
Special thanks to Mom, thank you so much for everything. Having the Green Card will change a lot of things in my life and I am so grateful.
I believe in faith and founding the spreadsheet was faith then seeing this website and then seeing everyone experience gave me comfort in how to move forward.

Good luck to you all and to my husband.

Thank you once again

Congratulations. Fingers crossed for your husband

So we received our Welcome Letter today and our card has been mailed to us and hopefully we will get it in a day or so. I'd like to express my appreciation to all of you especially Mom for your great help. This forum has been so helpful to me during the past 8 months. I have benefited a lot from your advises. As far as the interview, it was very simple and smooth. The officer did not ask for anything except our passport, IL, and also our wedding album. She just wanted to make sure that my wife is my real spouse. That's it.

Congratulations. All the best with your new life.

Hi,
My CN is current in May and I am about to send my AOS package, but our FO said it will take more than 6 months for giving us an interview appointment because our case is like other AOS cases. Is that right? Is there anything we can do to expedite the process?

Hi,
My CN is current in May and I am about to send my AOS package, but our FO said it will take more than 6 months for giving us an interview appointment because our case is like other AOS cases. Is that right? Is there anything we can do to expedite the process?

No, what you were told is not correct. DV based AOS petitions are not treated same as family or employment base petitions. And you're already doing the only thing you can do for now to expedite the case - which is early early.

No, what you were told is not correct. DV based AOS petitions are not treated same as family or employment base petitions. And you're already doing the only thing you can do for now to expedite the case - which is early early.
Is FO going to make the appointment?
Because the officer told us that you may run of time if we can't give you the appointment before October!

Last edited: