• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 AOS Only

Like Simon said, hiring a lawyer especially at this stage of the process is a complete waste of money. What is the lawyer going to do? Threaten to sue them if they don't expedite the background check? But if the thought of having a lawyer gives you some peace of mind, well it's your money, your case.

I'm certain your case file isn't lost or missing like you've been constantly asking.

Thank you for the advise. I'm not sure what exactly a lawyer can do, but as I understand, on the infopass appointment you can ask for an expedite background check and they may agree, depending on the specific representative and how persuasive you are. So in this case the lawyer may help: contacting the right person and be very persuasive. What do you think?
Regarding the money... We already paid about $5000 for all the fees and medical checks (we are a family of four). So spending additional ~$1000 on a lawyer (that can increase chances?) seems a reasonable investment, no?

In my opinion, there is nothing a lawyer can do that you can't do yourself at infopass appointments. However, it's your money...

Thank you for the reply. But what can I do at the infopass appointment? Last time they just told me the status and that they can't do anything for expediting it. Should I ask a representative to talk with his manager? It looked like they even were not aware of this deadline and the specifics of the dv lottery AOS case. What are my options there?

Thank you for the advise. I'm not sure what exactly a lawyer can do, but as I understand, on the infopass appointment you can ask for an expedite background check and they may agree, depending on the specific representative and how persuasive you are. So in this case the lawyer may help: contacting the right person and be very persuasive. What do you think?
Regarding the money... We already paid about $5000 for all the fees and medical checks (we are a family of four). So spending additional ~$1000 on a lawyer (that can increase chances?) seems a reasonable investment, no?

It doesn't seem like a reasonable investment to me because I know there's absolutely nothing a lawyer can do at this stage that you cannot do yourself. But like I said before its your money and if spending it on a lawyer gives you some peace of mind (a false sense of peace IMHO), then by all means hire a lawyer. No lawyer will spend more time on your case persuading USCIS than you can yourself. The lawyer has no personal interest vested in the case.

You need to spend some time going over other people's cases on this Thread. One INFOPASS simply isn't enough to expect a miracle or fold your arms and give up. Getting an expedited request is at the discretion of the FO, the more you show your face there and 'cry' if need be, the more successful you may be at getting the FO to move the case along than relying on some lawyer to visit the FO and be persuasive on your behalf.

It doesn't seem like a reasonable investment to me because I know there's absolutely nothing a lawyer can do at this stage that you cannot do yourself. But like I said before its your money and if spending it on a lawyer gives you some peace of mind (a false sense of peace IMHO), then by all means hire a lawyer. No lawyer will spend more time on your case persuading USCIS than you can yourself. The lawyer has no personal interest vested in the case.

You need to spend some time going over other people's cases on this Thread. One INFOPASS simply isn't enough to expect a miracle or fold your arms and give up. Getting an expedited request is at the discretion of the FO, the more you show your face there and 'cry' if need be, the more successful you may be at getting the FO to move the case along than relying on some lawyer to visit the FO and be persuasive on your behalf.

I've just called USCIS and asked to expedite the case. The representative said that they can expedite only when there is an emergency and the upcoming deadline does not fall into their "emergency" cases. Should I continue and insist that this is an emergency situation?

I've just called USCIS and asked to expedite the case. The representative said that they can expedite only when there is an emergency and the upcoming deadline does not fall into their "emergency" cases. Should I continue and insist that this is an emergency situation?

No you can't continue or insist or demand for them to expedite your case! Expediting is not a right, same way that AOS is not a right. Being able to process AOS is a privilege! You go to your FO and plead your case!!

Just got another update from the congressman:

"The file is still undergoing the background checks that are normally completed before the interview takes place. Since that didn't happen, the checks should be done within the 120 day period. However these background checks are run in coordination with agencies outside of USCIS. We cannot control how quickly these other agencies complete the checks.

There is no way to approve the applications without these checks being completed and no way for us to expedite this process. Hopefully the checks can be completed before the end of the fiscal year so this family can have their applications approved. "

Is this really the case that the background check can't be expedited? The congressman asks if I have any other suggestions, he will be willing to help... Is there anything I can ask from him to do/check about the case?

Thanks a lot.

Hi Mom,

I have a quick question for you, what is the difference between CPO and case approved. I actually had both status today, first CPO and then case approved.
I would like also to put my timeline into the spreadsheet, do you know how can I get right access to it ?
Thanks a lot for your help

Hi Mom,

I have a quick question for you, what is the difference between CPO and case approved. I actually had both status today, first CPO and then case approved.
I would like also to put my timeline into the spreadsheet, do you know how can I get right access to it ?
Thanks a lot for your help

They both technically mean they're done adjudicating your case.

CPO - Card Production Ordered - GC ordered to be produce.

Case Approved - Exactly what it says - Your petition has been approved.

One of the tabs on the AOS proces spreadsheet talks about rapid changes on status updates just like you've experienced.

There's a link on the Timelines spreadsheet you can use to request editing access. Congratulations!!

Hi Mom,

I did my Biometrics on July 28th (walk in) because I wouldn't be able to attend the scheduled one on August 4th. Seems like the waiting period between Biometrics to Interview (based on reading others' cases) vary greatly. My question is, how long should I wait for the interview to be scheduled before I need to be concerned and take action? What actions can I take?

Thanks before

Just got another update from the congressman:

"The file is still undergoing the background checks that are normally completed before the interview takes place. Since that didn't happen, the checks should be done within the 120 day period. However these background checks are run in coordination with agencies outside of USCIS. We cannot control how quickly these other agencies complete the checks.

There is no way to approve the applications without these checks being completed and no way for us to expedite this process. Hopefully the checks can be completed before the end of the fiscal year so this family can have their applications approved. "

Is this really the case that the background check can't be expedited? The congressman asks if I have any other suggestions, he will be willing to help... Is there anything I can ask from him to do/check about the case?

Thanks a lot.

For goodness sake. RELAX. Book an infopass, keep up the gentle pressure. That's all your case needs. But stop thinking you can move the mountain just because you want it to move. You have 7+ weeks left. RELAXXXXXXXX!!!

Hi Mom,

I did my Biometrics on July 28th (walk in) because I wouldn't be able to attend the scheduled one on August 4th. Seems like the waiting period between Biometrics to Interview (based on reading others' cases) vary greatly. My question is, how long should I wait for the interview to be scheduled before I need to be concerned and take action? What actions can I take?

Thanks before

Book an INFOPASS appointment and go follow up on the case in person at your FO.

For goodness sake. RELAX. Book an infopass, keep up the gentle pressure. That's all your case needs. But stop thinking you can move the mountain just because you want it to move. You have 7+ weeks left. RELAXXXXXXXX!!!

Hopefully you can get through to him since I obviously haven't been able to do that, which is why I didn't bother to respond to the last post.

Hi there. We got interwiev letter today. Our interwiev on August 30th. We are soo happy.
I will share my experience with you guys.

I hope everything will be fine all of us.
Thanks for everything.

Finally !!!!! After a very long background check wait, my husband and I received today the CPO (Card Production) message, one day after the Ombudsman told us that he has contacted USCIS to ask about our case and that he will tell us something when he has an answer from them.

But we don't have any news about my daughter's case.

Do I have to ask for a new Infopass or contact the Congressman or the Ombudsman again?

Mom,

This is a thank you note for your invaluable help on this forum. We have just received GC today in our mail box less for one child. We don't know why it has not been sent. What do we do?

Anyways in our case, we sent our packagend on 1st June, got appointment for Biometrics almost after a month on 11 July, then interview on 04 Aug. Everything went on smoothly. I must say, the spreadsheet works magic with Moms guidance. Thank you all for your interactions and motivation on this forum. It's the best forum I have ever come across.