• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 AOS Only

You had all these time to send for your HS diploma, why did you not send for it? Some IOs have been known to insist on seeing the HS Diploma itself. Is this going to be a problem for you? I don't know.

I can get it before the interview, fortunately I have family coming over next week from my home country :)
And what about that employment letter they are asking?, any suggestion? Just explain my situation and why I decided stop working for a few months?
Thanks!

I can get it before the interview, fortunately I have family coming over next week from my home country :)
And what about that employment letter they are asking?, any suggestion? Just explain my situation and why I decided stop working for a few months?
Thanks!

Your husband is working, isn't he?

In my region they opened at 8 am that's why I mentioned

And I'm trying to clarify the fact that your FO opens at 8:00 am doesn't mean it's 'strange' for someone else to have a 7:30 am appointment or for other FOs to open at 7:00 am as a matter of fact.

Ok I want now to share my experience through the dv lottery. It is very easy to stress over things, and I did stress over every aspect imaginable of this process. I had a lot of mistakes that I made when I submitted the lottery application and the ds-260 and also had a lot of other mistakes in my documents. Here is a list of all the problems that I stressed over and thought will deny me a green card:

- I changed a lot from the picture I submitted in the lottery, and by a lot I mean a LOT.
- After winning the lottery, I did get a new passport and the birth place in it was not the same as the one I submitted the lottery with.
- On the DS-260, in the passport chargeability section I chose United States instead of my country.
- The birth certificate was pulled over a year ago, while some sites say it has to be less then 6 months old.
- The birth certificate translation was made at my country's embassy and the translator did not certify word by word the same as many websites tell you to.
- I had a conviction of misdemeanor reckless driving.
- My original I-20 ended in 2018, however I received an updated one in may that ended in june 2016 corresponding with my end of studies, however I failed a class and they extended my i20 until september 2016.
- On the DS-260 in the U.S length of stays I did a lot of mistakes because I didn't know I could check my i-94 to get the exact dates of stays.
- I didn't have any affidavit of support.

I am pretty sure I missed some there, but those made me stress A LOT. Here is the thing though, at the interview, the FO didn't mention Any of those issues. I was surprised and kind of skeptical towards the professionalism of my FO.

For the I-485 package, I submitted only the documents that were listed on the USCIS website under the dv lottery section. I didn't submit anything less or anything more. That means I didn't get an affidavit of support. I know that mom does advice people to get it, and it is true as I think it is case dependent and not for everyone. By the way I am an F1 student here since I first entered the country 4 years ago. And have never applied for any OPT or other program and never changed or lost status.

After my bio appointment, I waited for an interview letter like everybody else, however a month after I received a call from a weird number that has the same are code as mine in Virginia. Since I saw online many people received calls for interview I thought I might want to answer it and it turns out it was the USCIS office. After the call they sent me an email confirmation, which I had to print out and bring with me to the interview.
My inteview was scheduled at 10am on a Friday. I went there at 9am just to be sure nothing could hold me from missing it. I entered the building, went past security and the desk lady told me to take the elevator to the second floor. I got there to an empty waiting room with only 2 other people with me. Around 9:30 the desk lady of that floor arrived and took from all of us our appointments, and then walked in a staff only hall. At 9:45, my FO comes out looks at me and asks me for my name. Then she told me to follow her to her desk. I took the oath and sat down. The interview only took 10 minutes. The first couple of questions were what was my name, address, date of birth, country of birth, parents name, are you married and do you have children. Then she went ahead and checked if my package had all the documents. At that point I told her I received two new updated I-20's, but she said I don't need to add them, there is no point to add unnecessary information for the next people that will open my package. I thought wow she's really nice with me. After that she went through the normal i-485 questions are you criminal, terrorist,.... I answered no to all and after that she said that's it and that I should expect the green card within 3 weeks. She told me my case is a straight case since I am not married and don't have children. She said that it is pretty much a self-adjudicatory case. As she was walking me out I told her if I can ask her about if my background check was passed by the fbi. She answered "trust me if it didn't pass you wouldn't be here today". I laughed but it was a nervous laugh since it kind of spooked me. After that I just walked out of the building and went on to my house. An hour later I receive a text from USCIS website telling me my status updated, and it was CPO.

I want to thank the organizers of this forum a LOT! You guys made a very awesome spreadsheet about the whole process and really that spreadsheet should be sponsored by the government. If I get a job I will make sure to donate as much as I can to this forum to help keep it alive and hopefully help future successful people. I have updated my timeline and I hope many people could use some of the information I typed here. Sorry for the long post but I think it can be useful to include all of the details.

Last edited:
Hello all,

Hope everything is going well. After a long 12-month period of wait, I got my interview letter, scheduled for a week from the notice date. At the end of interview, the IO approved me and stamped my passport. I'll explain my whole story here and hope it helps anyone who starts this journey. I will try to write it as complete as possible so people can get a sense of the situation in case their case is similar to mine. My apologies for the wordy post!

About me, a 4th year PhD student, did my masters here in the US as well. My number was current on October and I field my files late August. NOA and biometrics arrived just on time and received my EAD in less than three months I guess (never used them though). On Dec 2015 (no interview so far), I had an info pass and I was told they have my case and I am in queue to be scheduled for an interview. My files were requested from KCC early January. I had another info pass for Jan and one on Feb and for all of them, I heard the same response. In all those cases I was referred to the same person and she was saying me that they are working on it without any further explanation. I gave it time for March and got back to them on Apr 2016 (7th month after filing my 485). This time, I got to talk to another person and explained her my situation and the 50,000 cap. She said, she will look at my case and call me but I never got any call! Based on the help from people in this forum, I tried to contact my congress-person on April after my unproductive info pass. Ten days after that, I got a response from the congressman's office, forwarding the FO's email to me, indicating that I am scheduled for an interview for late May! wooooow! that was a good news. So, I kept waiting for the interview letter to come and nothing appeared till 5 days before the indicated interview day! Luckily, I was ready for these situations so I had reserved an infopass for such situations. A 3-hour drive to the FO with the copy of email in my hand, I talked to another person in counter and he said there was no interview scheduled for me on!! So, something has gone wrong and I was miss informed about my interview! The officer I met that day kind of changed my whole DV process and rhythm! He was very supportive and gave me his number for follow up. He said they will try to push the cases when it gets closer to the deadline. He asked me to follow up with him by mid July.
I made another info pass for late June 2016 and requested to see the same person. There, he told me that my file has moved and it should soon be scheduled for an interview. I asked about Background Check and he said it is done. Two weeks passes and I get no interview letter. I drove to the FO again, without any infopass this time. I was hoping to use the kiosks there and schedule an info pass when I get there but that was a Friday in which they literally had no info pass or interview for the day. I was about to head back but saw some of the IO going to the building and explained them the situation and the fact that I have been driving for a couple of hours to get there. Luckily, they let me in and the officer I knew met me in the lobby. He went through my file and dang! The file is redirected to another department and not the interview scheduling section. He tried to reach the corresponding person but he was off that day. The bad thing was I had no clue about the reason for this back-and-forth and they did not specify either. The good thing was that officer was trying his best of best to help me and I was seeing that. Ten days passes and I call the officer I know to remind him about the case. A couple of days later, I got a call from the same person indicating that I am ready for an interview and my interview is scheduled for 9 days from that day.

Interview:
I went for my interview and interestingly I was the only customer! in the FO. I guess it was again one of the days they were trying to catch up with their work. So, apparently my interview is scheduled manually, out of the regular process!
The interview itself was very smooth and the IO was very kind. Before interview begins, when we were on the way to her office, she apologized about my case taking that long and said they barely have any DV cases and a lot of times they are not aware of the time sensitivity of the case (well, I should say I have made at least 7 info passes and in each single one brought up the time sensitivity of the cases, so probably someone was simply ignoring all these things I was saying during info passes). She even mentioned that I did a good job to remind them about the timing issue as she said there were some similar situations before and because the people did not remind them about the case, they have run out of time! Anyway, she said she is going to approve me today if everything goes well and all she needs to check is visa availability. After taking oath, she went through some documents, which were not what I sent in my package and I assume there were what they have got from other offices. One thing she checked was my medical and because I did it on Aug 2015, she said I had just a couple of more days to have it expired (six months or a year-not sure how long medical is valid!!!!!). The yes/no questions are done and she approved the case. The interview went well and I got an update about my card being ordered.

Now, my takes from this year-long journey:

- The more it went, the more I was confident that the guys/gals here know a lot about DV cases and you can trust them. Mom knows a lot. believe me and trust her. Britsimon is doing a fantastic job on a lot of those stats. Keep an eye on his blog as well. The rest are very good as well.
- Taking info passes works a lot of time. If you feel you hit a deadlock during infopasses by seeing one person who is not giving you too much information, try to talk to other people. You can eventually find the right person like I did.
- FO's do listen to congressional inquiries so requesting help from them, at the right time- not too early or late, can help.
- I forgot to mention that I did contact the Ombudsman and they did follow up with the FO as well. I am not sure if that was effective or not but I got multiple correspondences from them indicating that they are in contact with my FO.
- If you have filed your case for more than a year or close (like me), it is worth taking another medical before you show up for the interview, as in my case, medical was specifically one thing the IO was paying attention.

At the end, I like to thank the awesome people here, who are helping the rest without expecting anything in return:
Mom, Britsimon, ShuseiQQ, and the rest I have not mentioned, keep it up! you guys rock!

Good luck.

Hello all,

Hope everything is going well. After a long 12-month period of wait, I got my interview letter, scheduled for a week from the notice date. At the end of interview, the IO approved me and stamped my passport. I'll explain my whole story here and hope it helps anyone who starts this journey. I will try to write it as complete as possible so people can get a sense of the situation in case their case is similar to mine. My apologies for the wordy post!

About me, a 4th year PhD student, did my masters here in the US as well. My number was current on October and I field my files late August. NOA and biometrics arrived just on time and received my EAD in less than three months I guess (never used them though). On Dec 2015 (no interview so far), I had an info pass and I was told they have my case and I am in queue to be scheduled for an interview. My files were requested from KCC early January. I had another info pass for Jan and one on Feb and for all of them, I heard the same response. In all those cases I was referred to the same person and she was saying me that they are working on it without any further explanation. I gave it time for March and got back to them on Apr 2016 (7th month after filing my 485). This time, I got to talk to another person and explained her my situation and the 50,000 cap. She said, she will look at my case and call me but I never got any call! Based on the help from people in this forum, I tried to contact my congress-person on April after my unproductive info pass. Ten days after that, I got a response from the congressman's office, forwarding the FO's email to me, indicating that I am scheduled for an interview for late May! wooooow! that was a good news. So, I kept waiting for the interview letter to come and nothing appeared till 5 days before the indicated interview day! Luckily, I was ready for these situations so I had reserved an infopass for such situations. A 3-hour drive to the FO with the copy of email in my hand, I talked to another person in counter and he said there was no interview scheduled for me on!! So, something has gone wrong and I was miss informed about my interview! The officer I met that day kind of changed my whole DV process and rhythm! He was very supportive and gave me his number for follow up. He said they will try to push the cases when it gets closer to the deadline. He asked me to follow up with him by mid July.
I made another info pass for late June 2016 and requested to see the same person. There, he told me that my file has moved and it should soon be scheduled for an interview. I asked about Background Check and he said it is done. Two weeks passes and I get no interview letter. I drove to the FO again, without any infopass this time. I was hoping to use the kiosks there and schedule an info pass when I get there but that was a Friday in which they literally had no info pass or interview for the day. I was about to head back but saw some of the IO going to the building and explained them the situation and the fact that I have been driving for a couple of hours to get there. Luckily, they let me in and the officer I knew met me in the lobby. He went through my file and dang! The file is redirected to another department and not the interview scheduling section. He tried to reach the corresponding person but he was off that day. The bad thing was I had no clue about the reason for this back-and-forth and they did not specify either. The good thing was that officer was trying his best of best to help me and I was seeing that. Ten days passes and I call the officer I know to remind him about the case. A couple of days later, I got a call from the same person indicating that I am ready for an interview and my interview is scheduled for 9 days from that day.

Interview:
I went for my interview and interestingly I was the only customer! in the FO. I guess it was again one of the days they were trying to catch up with their work. So, apparently my interview is scheduled manually, out of the regular process!
The interview itself was very smooth and the IO was very kind. Before interview begins, when we were on the way to her office, she apologized about my case taking that long and said they barely have any DV cases and a lot of times they are not aware of the time sensitivity of the case (well, I should say I have made at least 7 info passes and in each single one brought up the time sensitivity of the cases, so probably someone was simply ignoring all these things I was saying during info passes). She even mentioned that I did a good job to remind them about the timing issue as she said there were some similar situations before and because the people did not remind them about the case, they have run out of time! Anyway, she said she is going to approve me today if everything goes well and all she needs to check is visa availability. After taking oath, she went through some documents, which were not what I sent in my package and I assume there were what they have got from other offices. One thing she checked was my medical and because I did it on Aug 2015, she said I had just a couple of more days to have it expired (six months or a year-not sure how long medical is valid!!!!!). The yes/no questions are done and she approved the case. The interview went well and I got an update about my card being ordered.

- The more it went, the more I was confident that the guys/gals here know a lot about DV cases and you can trust them. Mom knows a lot. believe me and trust her. Britsimon is doing a fantastic job on a lot of those stats. Keep an eye on his blog as well. The rest are very good as well.
- Taking info passes works a lot of time. If you feel you hit a deadlock during infopasses by seeing one person who is not giving you too much information, try to talk to other people. You can eventually find the right person like I did.
- FO's do listen to congressional inquiries so requesting help from them, at the right time- not too early or late, can help.
- I forgot to mention that I did contact the Ombudsman and they did follow up with the FO as well. I am not sure if that was effective or not but I got multiple correspondences from them indicating that they are in contact with my FO.
- If you have filed your case for more than a year or close (like me), it is worth taking another medical before you show up for the interview, as in my case, medical was specifically one thing the IO was paying attention.

At the end, I like to thank the awesome people here, who are helping the rest without expecting anything in return:
Mom, Britsimon, ShuseiQQ, and the rest I have not mentioned, keep it up! you guys rock!

Good luck.

Really happy for you. You've come a long way! Congratulations and enjoy your new LPR status.

Hello all,

Interview:

Good luck.

What a long, frustrating journey - congratulations on finally getting there!

The sad thing is it does sound as though if you had not kept on following up you could have missed out. Which FO is this?

You could check posts of _sair_ here and will see that he had interview in NYC 28 Apr and then received approval notice 9 May.
I had interview there 2 Aug and didn't here anything yet too.
So it's early to worry.
Thank you for posting, hope fully we will get the response soon too.

Quick question mom, KCC said they already forwarded my case to NY office on June 7th and my FO said she has everything she needs so far but needs to review our case. ( so what happens to 50000 cut off no, while our case is still pending, are we already counted in that 50000 since KCC already send our visa package to field office or we still have to cross our finger and pray to be approved ;) before they reach that no 50000 )

Quick question mom, KCC said they already forwarded my case to NY office on June 7th and my FO said she has everything she needs so far but needs to review our case. ( so what happens to 50000 cut off no, while our case is still pending, are we already counted in that 50000 since KCC already send our visa package to field office or we still have to cross our finger and pray to be approved ;) before they reach that no 50000 )

You're only included in the '50,000' cut off when your case gets approved. The current state of the petition is not indicative of a guaranteed visa. Assuming all the '50,000' visas gets issued while your IO is still reviewing your case, that means you will not be getting a visa.

By the way, I noticed a lot of people here do not seem to know the difference between between IO and FO, and are using the two abbreviations interchangeably. To set the record straight:

FO = Field Office
IO = Immigration Officer

AT THE TIME OF INTERVIEW CONSULAR OFFICER ASKED ME TO SUBMIT NEW JOINT SPONSOR. BECAUSE MY CURRENT JOINT SPONSOR IS NOT SUFFICIENT INCOME TO SUPPORT ME MY QUESTION IS I HAVE TO SUBMIT MY PETITIONER AFFIDAVIT SUPPORT WITH NEW JOINT SPONSOR AFFIDAVIT SUPPORT OR JUST NEW JOINT SPONSOR PLEASE ANSWER MY QUESTION IT'S MY HUMBLE REQUEST. I HAVE POST SAME QUERY MANY TIME BUT NO RESPONSE. PLEASE PLEASE HELP

AT THE TIME OF INTERVIEW CONSULAR OFFICER ASKED ME TO SUBMIT NEW JOINT SPONSOR. BECAUSE MY CURRENT JOINT SPONSOR IS NOT SUFFICIENT INCOME TO SUPPORT ME MY QUESTION IS I HAVE TO SUBMIT MY PETITIONER AFFIDAVIT SUPPORT WITH NEW JOINT SPONSOR AFFIDAVIT SUPPORT OR JUST NEW JOINT SPONSOR PLEASE ANSWER MY QUESTION IT'S MY HUMBLE REQUEST. I HAVE POST SAME QUERY MANY TIME BUT NO RESPONSE. PLEASE PLEASE HELP

Please stop posting in ALL Caps!
Stop duplicating the same post over several Threads
Find the appropriate Sub forum/Thread to post your question.

It is less than 8 weeks until the September 30 deadline. My case is still under background check since April.
I'm sure that we have nothing special or suspicious in our background, so may be our case just got stuck or lost in the background check process?
We have applied to a congressman and attended one infopasss appointment, but except letting us know the status (pending name check...) nothing was done.

Do you think hiring a lawyer can help speeding up the process? I understand that nobody except FO can't speedup FBI, however, maybe a lawyer will be able to contact directly our IO and ask for an expedited background check or so?

Thanks.

It is less than 8 weeks until the September 30 deadline. My case is still under background check since April.
I'm sure that we have nothing special or suspicious in our background, so may be our case just got stuck or lost in the background check process?
We have applied to a congressman and attended one infopasss appointment, but except letting us know the status (pending name check...) nothing was done.

Do you think hiring a lawyer can help speeding up the process? I understand that nobody except FO can't speedup FBI, however, maybe a lawyer will be able to contact directly our IO and ask for an expedited background check or so?

Thanks.

In my opinion, there is nothing a lawyer can do that you can't do yourself at infopass appointments. However, it's your money...

Thanks.

Like Simon said, hiring a lawyer especially at this stage of the process is a complete waste of money. What is the lawyer going to do? Threaten to sue them if they don't expedite the background check? But if the thought of having a lawyer gives you some peace of mind, well it's your money, your case.

I'm certain your case file isn't lost or missing like you've been constantly asking.