• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 AOS Only

Mom, I got little worried since my IL doesn't say 2 photos to bring, but do I have to bring? Or each applicant gets different?

The response from KCC is a standard one for AOSers - KCC doesn't consider when one is likely to become current before sending out the information about the need to pay the $330 DV administrative fee. Technically, the payment should be made after one becomes current, especially for a selectee with a high CN. However, because the receipt for that payment is supposed to be included with the AOS package that gets sent after the CN becomes current, and getting the receipt could take anywhere between 2-8weeks, it would make sense to make the payment before then, in order to not delay the AOS package submission.

Now, as to when to make the payment? I honestly can't tell you that. You'll have to make the judgment call as to when you feel comfortable with making it - take a look at the VB (including previous years') and decide the possibility of when your CN is likely to become current, or not, bearing in mind the fee is no refundable.

thanks @Sm1smom for your quick response!

So I will go ahead and make the payment. Besides the cashiers check, SAE and the receipt form filled out is there anything else that i need to send? They say to include the case number on the check, should i just write it on the back or it has to be on the front?

thanks!

Ok, we've just returned from second INFOPASS... The result is usual - "just wait". First one was on 5th Jan, then we were told to wait till March, now we were told to wail till June before to get worried. They said that they have my husband's (the winner) file already for 1.5 month, but there is still no answer from checking "third agency" (???). Now interesting story, they said that my file is in Texas business processing - but we are in FL so no idea what it means. I was thinking that there is only one case based on my husband winning - why the files are separated? I have I-140 applied through employer long before my husband's DV case and till now have no decision on that, so we never applied for AOS based on that I140. So I'm really confused what is happening.
What I really get from both INFOPASSes that FO just don't get the DV cases. Today I was told that we should not worry since we are already winners so it does not matter when, but better before 30sept. I tried to tell that the visa number are limited but he did not believe me or just showed it. Then the officer said that they don't send IL, but National beneficial center does (???), so we have to wait, wait, wait.
Now I don't what we can do more.
By the way at the end of the March our medical we'll be 6 months old. If we don't get IL by that time - what to do?

'Third agency' is most likely referring to the background check which technically is done by a different government agency. So the delay may have to do with the fact that your husband, the main selectee is yet to clear his background checks.

Even though you guys sent in your forms together as one package, there are technically two individual petitions being processed, each person ends up with an individual file which makes it possible for the main selectee to be approved while a beneficiary is denied if there's ever a reason to do that. In your case, the file in the Texas business centre may be referring to your I-140 petition. Admittedly you haven't submitted an I-485 based on that petition, they however can still see everything in the system and the IO may have assumed that's what you were following up on.

Anyway, I would suggest you schedule another INFOPASS for the next 3 - 4 weeks or so, don't get tired of following up. In the meantime, you should also contact your congress person to assist with follow up, they usually get a clearer response regarding what may be causing the delay.

Don't stress about the medical for now. If they need a new one, they will let you know.

Mom, I got little worried since my IL doesn't say 2 photos to bring, but do I have to bring? Or each applicant gets different?

Well, if you IL doesn't say anything about passport photos, why are you stressing over it??? Focus on what YOUR letter says! I already responded to the person who said they were asked to bring photos that their IL is most likely a generic one, and they photos may not even be collected from them.

thanks @Sm1smom for your quick response!

So I will go ahead and make the payment. Besides the cashiers check, SAE and the receipt form filled out is there anything else that i need to send? They say to include the case number on the check, should i just write it on the back or it has to be on the front?

thanks!

Please follow the instructions on the payment form. Write the CN on the front.

Well, if you IL doesn't say anything about passport photos, why are you stressing over it??? Focus on what YOUR letter says! I already responded to the person who said they were asked to bring photos that their IL is most likely a generic one, and they photos may not even be collected from them.
Yes... Thank you for reply my silly question mom, I think I'm just worried about everything right now... so just have to be relax. Thank you.

'Third agency' is most likely referring to the background check which technically is done by a different government agency. So the delay may have to do with the fact that your husband, the main selectee is yet to clear his background checks.

Even though you guys sent in your forms together as one package, there are technically two individual petitions being processed, each person ends up with an individual file which makes it possible for the main selectee to be approved while a beneficiary is denied if there's ever a reason to do that. In your case, the file in the Texas business centre may be referring to your I-140 petition. Admittedly you haven't submitted an I-485 based on that petition, they however can still see everything in the system and the IO may have assumed that's what you were following up on.

Anyway, I would suggest you schedule another INFOPASS for the next 3 - 4 weeks or so, don't get tired of following up. In the meantime, you should also contact your congress person to assist with follow up, they usually get a clearer response regarding what may be causing the delay.

Don't stress about the medical for now. If they need a new one, they will let you know.

Thanks! we'll schedule one more infopass.

Hello Mom,
I have question regarding 485, I am F1 opt but I have applied for TPS( temporary protected status) which I got approved recently. (11 march). My case no is current for May 2016. We are preparing all the documents ready for AOS package . While filling the 485 form, I got confused. Should I put my status as F1 opt or TPS ? , again my alien no in TPS and my opt EAD are different, which one am I supposed to put in the 485 and G325 form. Do I have to wait until May to send my package or I can send my AOS package now ?, what address am I supposed to send the package, is it Chicago lockbox ?
I got the email receipt from KCC for DV fee and thank you for your suggestion to email them sm1smom.
Sorry I have too many questions. I am very confused and I don't want to make any mistake

Hello Mom,
I have question regarding 485, I am F1 opt but I have applied for TPS( temporary protected status) which I got approved recently. (11 march). My case no is current for May 2016. We are preparing all the documents ready for AOS package . While filling the 485 form, I got confused. Should I put my status as F1 opt or TPS ? , again my alien no in TPS and my opt EAD are different, which one am I supposed to put in the 485 and G325 form. Do I have to wait until May to send my package or I can send my AOS package now ?, what address am I supposed to send the package, is it Chicago lockbox ?
I got the email receipt from KCC for DV fee and thank you for your suggestion to email them sm1smom.
Sorry I have too many questions. I am very confused and I don't want to make any mistake

Your current status should be listed as TPS. Use the A# associated with your TPS.

Please go through the AOS process spreadsheet for guidance regarding when you can or should submit your AOS package, then decide on your own as to when to submit the package.:

https://goo.gl/x7x3td

Yes the package should be sent to the Chicago Lockbox. However you need to look at the USCIS website for guidance on the precise address to use based on your chosen mail delivery option:

https://www.uscis.gov/i-485-addresses

Just settle down and carefully go over the AOS process spreadsheet, and you should be okay.

Dear Mom,

Hi. I have a question and I was wondering if you could help me more; I found that my case is being processed at California Service Center, not in my local USCIS. So would you please tell me is it unusual or not? (Why not at local USCIS?)
Secondly, nowadays it is more than 5 months passing from my fingerprints. In that case, do you think taking an infopass and going to the LOCAL USCIS would be helpful?

Thanks a lot.

Dear Mom,

Hi. I have a question and I was wondering if you could help me more; I found that my case is being processed at California Service Center, not in my local USCIS. So would you please tell me is it unusual or not? (Why not at local USCIS?)
Secondly, nowadays it is more than 5 months passing from my fingerprints. In that case, do you think taking an infopass and going to the LOCAL USCIS would be helpful?

Thanks a lot.

Not quite sure why the CSC will be processing your case and not your local FO. If I may ask, how did you find out your petition is being processed at the CSC? You did send your package to the Chicago Lockbox, right? And yes, you should schedule an INFOPASS with your local FO.

Hi,
May I ask after doing the biometrics, will that show on the "case status online"? https://egov.uscis.gov/casestatus/landing.do
I did biometrics but the case status never updates, I am a bit worried if they really had processed that or had they recorded my biometrics?
Thanks!

We've said this over and over again, (and it's also listed on the AOS process spreadsheet), there will be no changes to the online case status until a final decision is made after the interview.

Your current status should be listed as TPS. Use the A# associated with your TPS.

Please go through the AOS process spreadsheet for guidance regarding when you can or should submit your AOS package, then decide on your own as to when to submit the package.:

https://goo.gl/x7x3td

Yes the package should be sent to the Chicago Lockbox. However you need to look at the USCIS website for guidance on the precise address to use based on your chosen mail delivery option:

https://www.uscis.gov/i-485-addresses

Just settle down and carefully go over the AOS process spreadsheet, and you should be okay.
Thank you again mom,
Your guidance is really helpful. I will update TPS in 485. Since I already submitted my DS 260 before I applied TPS, do I need to update in DS260 as well. I can ask KCC to unlock my ds260 but does unlocking ds260 and resubmitting it again delay the process ?, and thank you again for all your suggestion mom, I checked USCIS website and it says we can submit the AOS package once we get the number shown current ( I can submit now for May if the cutoff no is current for May). I will submit AOS once I make all my documents ready which might take another week as well.
All your advice is very valuable for me. Thank you once again for devoting your time for answering all the questions.

Not quite sure why the CSC will be processing your case and not your local FO. If I may ask, how did you find out your petition is being processed at the CSC? You did send your package to the Chicago Lockbox, right? And yes, you should schedule an INFOPASS with your local FO.
Dear Mom,
As you recommended me, I asked my congressman to help me by following up my case, and he told me about CSC. And YES, I sent it to Chicago Lockbox.
Thanks.

Thank you again mom,
Your guidance is really helpful. I will update TPS in 485. Since I already submitted my DS 260 before I applied TPS, do I need to update in DS260 as well. I can ask KCC to unlock my ds260 but does unlocking ds260 and resubmitting it again delay the process ?, and thank you again for all your suggestion mom, I checked USCIS website and it says we can submit the AOS package once we get the number shown current ( I can submit now for May if the cutoff no is current for May). I will submit AOS once I make all my documents ready which might take another week as well.
All your advice is very valuable for me. Thank you once again for devoting your time for answering all the questions.

- It shouldn't matter if the DS-260 form doesn't get updated, the information on it was your correct status as at the time of that submission. But if it makes you feel better, then go ahead and update it. Locking or unlocking the DS-260 has no impact on the AOS process.

- Yes, I know what the USCIS website says regarding early filing/submission. However, I referred you to the AOS spreadsheet because it has salient points/information which the USCIS website doesn't have.

Dear Mom,
As you recommended me, I asked my congressman to help me by following up my case, and he told me about CSC. And YES, I sent it to Chicago Lockbox.
Thanks.

Not quite sure if your congressperson wasn't misinformed, or the person that actually got back to you from the congress person's office got the message mixed up.

I think you should give the USCIS 1800 number a call and ask them to confirm which office/location currently has your AOS file. You may need to ask to speak with a level 2 officer, after politely listening to the customer rep who initially comes on the line, before you get any useful information. And you don't have to reveal to them anything your congress person's office said regarding the CSC, don't put words in the mouth or let them fend you off with something you already know. You can also ask the L2 officer about the status of your bio.

I understand that I have to wait for some days to see my status online. But it is been almost two weeks since I received the I 979
And still I am not able to see my status online; it gives validation error. Any advice to practice more patience?