• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 AOS Only

Mom,

I know that you cannot certainly say that if it's enough or not, I'm just asking for your recommendation. I'm on F-1 visa and I'm working as research assistant. Based on my tax forms, my salary is 17 K (I'm single). Do you think that I need affidavit of support?
Thanks!

Mom,

I know that you cannot certainly say that if it's enough or not, I'm just asking for your recommendation. I'm on F-1 visa and I'm working as research assistant. Based on my tax forms, my salary is 17 K (I'm single). Do you think that I need affidavit of support?
Thanks!

An annual income of 17K for an individual is above the poverty guideline requirement. However, like I've responded to others before you, I recommend having a filled affidavit of support as a back up financial evidence document.

bluefox and yy, do you mind sharing if besides the invitation letter you received by mail was your case also updated online stating that you were invited for an interview like it was for Elixir?

Thanks! (and good luck)

The CS should be from the State you're listing on your forms as your primary address.
Dear Sm1smom, you just gave me a heart attack... :)
I went to a CS whose office is in the neighboring state, but only 11 miles away from my place (zip code in this case). Her name was listed on USCIS Find Doctor tool - in fact her name was second in the list of suggested Civil Surgeons.
I searched the USCIS web site on this subject, but did not find anything that either confirms or rejects your statement. Are you absolutely certain that CS must be from the same state as AOS applicant's residence?

Dear Sm1smom, you just gave me a heart attack... :)
I went to a CS whose office is in the neighboring state, but only 11 miles away from my place (zip code in this case). Her name was listed on USCIS Find Doctor tool - in fact her name was second in the list of suggested Civil Surgeons.
I searched the USCIS web site on this subject, but did not find anything that either confirms or rejects your statement. Are you absolutely certain that CS must be from the same state as AOS applicant's residence?

I suggest you re-read my post. I certainly don't see anywhere in my post that says 'must'. I clearly used the word "should" - I tend to pick my choice of words with care when I post.

FYI: there's a lot of things I put on the spreadsheet as part of the DV based AOS process and that I've posted in this forum also which are not listed on the USCIS website either.

I suggest you re-read my post. I certainly don't see anywhere in my post that says 'must'. I clearly used the word "should" - I tend to pick my choice of words with care when I post.

FYI: there's a lot of things I put on the spreadsheet as part of the DV based AOS process and that I've posted in this forum also which are not listed on the USCIS website either.
Thank you for your reply. Yes, I see you used 'should' not 'must' - my bad...
So, if I went to CS in the neighboring state I should fine, but if someone living in Chicago went to CS in, lets say, NYC then that medical exam result would not be accepted?

Mom Yet another opinion from you, I now work using STEM OPT extension. I know DHS have published the new rule but I think its still under public comment period. So if you were in my shoe would you apply for EAD card via GC just in case something goes south and proposed rule do not get accepted on Feb 16.

An annual income of 17K for an individual is above the poverty guideline requirement. However, like I've responded to others before you, I recommend having a filled affidavit of support as a back up financial evidence document.
Actually, I have sent my documents and now I'm waiting for interview.

- Do you think that I can bring the filled affidavit of support to the interview or I should have sent it with other documents?

- Is it possible to have 2 or 3 sponsors with low income (I can ask my friends, they are student with the same salary, 17-20K)? because I don't know any person other than my friends to be my sponsor.

Thanks.

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I see you used 'should' not 'must' - my bad...
So, if I went to CS in the neighboring state I should fine, but if someone living in Chicago went to CS in, lets say, NYC then that medical exam result would not be accepted?

I'm sorry I can't get into the nitty gritty details of whose medical will be accepted or rejected based on where it was done. All I'm committing to saying is the medical should be done by a CS based in the same State as the applicant/petitioner

Mom Yet another opinion from you, I now work using STEM OPT extension. I know DHS have published the new rule but I think its still under public comment period. So if you were in my shoe would you apply for EAD card via GC just in case something goes south and proposed rule do not get accepted on Feb 16.

Yes, not a bad idea to include the EAD application with your AOS petition.

- Do you think that I can bring the filled affidavit of support to the interview or I should have sent it with other documents?

- Is it possible to have 2 or 3 sponsors with low income (I can ask my friends, they are student with the same salary, 17-20K)? because I don't know any person other than my friends to be my sponsor.

Thanks.

- Yes, you can take the affidavit along with you to our interview. You only present it if requested, otherwise you just keep it.

- AFAIK, it should be one sponsor only with enough income.

I'm sorry I can't get into the nitty gritty details of whose medical will be accepted or rejected based on where it was done. All I committing to saying is the medical should be done by a CS based in the same State as the applicant/petitioner
Got it, thank you!

Well it has been almost two weeks since our interview. They updated the online status as "Continuation mail has been sent" for me and "Request for additional evidence" for my husband. They did it on the same day of interview, i.e. Nov 5th. So far, no "continuation mail" or "RFE mail" yet in my mailbox. Something is fishy. Not sure how much of the help will be from infopass but I have it scheduled coming week. Fingers crossed.

Thanks.
Are you a master/PhD student with guaranteed scholarship from the school reported on your i-20?

Dear Mom, I was looking for Civil Surgeon at NH and eventhough there are several lists they all send it to a one location at 2 hrs away from my current home. I was looking at USCIS website and I couldnt find anywhere that doctor has to be in the same state. Is it OK to do the exam done by a massachusetts civil surgeon? (different state to what I currently applying for adjustment of status)

Dear Mom, I was looking for Civil Surgeon at NH and eventhough there are several lists they all send it to a one location at 2 hrs away from my current home. I was looking at USCIS website and I couldnt find anywhere that doctor has to be in the same state. Is it OK to do the exam done by a massachusetts civil surgeon? (different state to what I currently applying for adjustment of status)

I think I've posted enough on this issue. Do what you think serves you best. If the CS in Massachusetts is the one nearest to you compared to those listed for NH, the State you claim residence in, you make the judgement call on who to visit. Your case, your decision, your call!

Last edited: