• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 AOS Only

Are you a master/PhD student with guaranteed scholarship from the school reported on your i-20?
Yes I'm a PhD student. Actually, school send us the employment letter each term, but there is no guaranteed scholarship on my i-20.

Last edited:
Yes I'm a PhD student. Actually, school send us the employment letter each term, but there is no guaranteed scholarship on my i-20.
So if in the section 8b of your i-20, the funding provided by school is mentioned and it is equal or more than your estimated expenses mentioned in section 7 then if you provide your pay stubs for the last couple of months I assume that you should be fine.

So if in the section 8b of your i-20, the funding provided by school is mentioned and it is equal or more than your estimated expenses mentioned in section 7 then if you provide your pay stubs for the last couple of months I assume that you should be fine.
Yeah I understand that there is no guaranteed funding since the continuation of support from school depends on the student academic performance and that is why they renew the financial support offer every year.

AFAIK, funding or scholarship from a school does not qualify as evidence, when processing AOS, that one will not become a public charge.

AFAIK, funding or scholarship from a school does not qualify as evidence, when processing AOS, that one will not become a public charge.
Even if the funding from school is in form of Research Assistant (on-campus job) and the income is reported in W2?

Even if the funding from school is in form of Research Assistant (on-campus job) and the income is reported in W2?

An income is obviously not the same as a scholarship, right? Anyway, my suggestion to someone on a student visa, especially for those whose annual income is from working as a student/research assistant, has always been and (still is) to have an affidavit of support on hand as a back-up financial evidence. Unless of course they already have a substantial amount of savings they will be presenting in addition to the annual income evidence.

Having said that though, anyone who feels an I-134 is unnecessary is free to present what they deem sufficient in their opinion.

An income is obviously not the same as a scholarship, right? Anyway, my suggestion to someone on a student visa, especially for those whose annual income is from working as a student/research assistant, has always been and (still is) to have an affidavit of support on hand as a back-up financial evidence. Unless of course they already have a substantial amount of savings they will be presenting in addition to the annual income evidence.

Having said that though, anyone who feels an I-134 is unnecessary is free to present what they deem sufficient in their opinion.
Yes. You are right. I'm sorry for my lack of knowledge in using the right terms. I truly appreciate your time and effort you put for clarifying the issues to us.

Mom one more question, for education qualification I will send high school certificate (Which includes my AL results). My question is for the bachelors degree and PhD what should I send, a transcript or degree certificate? my undergraduate transcript is not in a sealed envelope.

Mom one more question, for education qualification I will send high school certificate (Which includes my AL results). My question is for the bachelors degree and PhD what should I send, a transcript or degree certificate? my undergraduate transcript is not in a sealed envelope.

Just the Diploma/Degree Certificate is fine.

Mom - my interview letter says "Please bring with you to the interview... An affidavit of support (Form I-864) and all of the documents requested in the instruction sheet to the I-864)..."

Form I-864 seems that it is to be filled out by a sponsor which confuses me - am I my own sponsor? I am none of these things...

Screen Shot 2015-11-19 at 6.10.19 PM.png

Any help would be much appreciated.

Mom - my interview letter says "Please bring with you to the interview... An affidavit of support (Form I-864) and all of the documents requested in the instruction sheet to the I-864)..."

Form I-864 seems that it is to be filled out by a sponsor which confuses me - am I my own sponsor? I am none of these things...

View attachment 654

Any help would be much appreciated.

Naaw, don't sweat the bit about the I-864, sounds like the IL your FO sent you is the generic one. An I-864 is not applicable to DV based AOS petitioners, if at all you need to present an affidavit of support, it will be the I-134. If your annual income is above the required poverty level guide applicable to your situation, then you don't even need to worry about getting someone to provide you with an I-134 (and if I correctly recollect, you're not on a student visa). So you should be okay with evidence of your annual income (which I assume is above the poverty guide level) and bank account savings.

Naaw, don't sweat the bit about the I-864, sounds like the IL your FO sent you is the generic one. An I-864 is not applicable to DV based AOS petitioners, if at all you need to present an affidavit of support, it will be the I-134. If your annual income is above the required poverty level guide applicable to your situation, then you don't even need to worry about getting someone to provide you with an I-134 (and if I correctly recollect, you're not on a student visa). So you should be okay with evidence of your annual income (which I assume is above the poverty guide level) and bank account savings.

Thank you so much - I was worried for a second there!

Yes, my annual income is above the poverty guide level, I have a decent amount saved in the bank and I'm currently on an E3 visa.

Eeeeee, everything should be in good order then. Gahhhh, Dec 15 can't come soon enough. The date is much sooner than I was anticipating, too! :)

Thanks again for all your help. This forum has been a God-send in getting everything associated with the AOS completed.

Update for our case:
We scheduled infopass today to know about the "Continuation Notice" and "Request for Evidence" as stated in online status check. It was somehow useful. We were told that online status is not handled by the Field office. Our case was sent for the supervisor of the FO for final approval on Nov 17th. The supervisor usually approves/denies the case by 2 weeks. Hence, we don't need to worry about what is written in online status. So Folks, don't panic for any online status changes. It is better to follow up with your FO if any confusion arises.
In the meantime, we are waiting for final approval notice. Best of luck to all who are scheduled for interview.

Hi guys, just a quick question (I searched but didn't find an immediate answer, maybe I missed another post), but just got the 2NL email, (looks like a generic email thanking for applying for AoS and reminding to check eligibility requirements and pay the fee, which we've done), but it has our old UK address on it, yet we updated to our US address on the 260. Is this just showing the old address cause it's linked to the original DV entry, and will update to our US one now we've paid and they pass it to USCIS, or are they still going to use the wrong (old UK) address?

Hi guys, just a quick question (I searched but didn't find an immediate answer, maybe I missed another post), but just got the 2NL email, (looks like a generic email thanking for applying for AoS and reminding to check eligibility requirements and pay the fee, which we've done), but it has our old UK address on it, yet we updated to our US address on the 260. Is this just showing the old address cause it's linked to the original DV entry, and will update to our US one now we've paid and they pass it to USCIS, or are they still going to use the wrong (old UK) address?

They have acknowledged you are doing AOS. That means they accept you are in the States. When you file your I-485 you USA address will drive the choice of FO - so all will be well. There is a bit of a disconnect between the eDV (and how KCC handle cases) and AoS cases - but you have no need to worry.