• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 Winners Meet Here

Calling all experts... My sister's CN is AS56xx. She has received her 2nd NL and her interview date is on June 2nd, 2015. She doesn't plan to move to the United States immediately after she passes her interview, fingers crossed that everything will go well. However, she intends to come to the United States as a tourist for 3 weeks in August 2015. Can she do that? She plans to move here permanently in October 2015. Thank you very much and I look forward to your answers.

She must enter in August using her immigrant visa, there will be no requirement for her to move permanently immediately, it will be absolutely fine to return in October. She should avoid using the term "tourist" when she enters in August as it might make immigration officers question her more closely. I presume part of her trip will be to check things out in advance of a final move anyway, which is perfectly fine. Many people enter for a short trip after they get their visas and then relocate permanently at some future date (including me!)

She must enter in August using her immigrant visa, there will be no requirement for her to move permanently immediately, it will be absolutely fine to return in October. She should avoid using the term "tourist" when she enters in August as it might make immigration officers question her more closely. I presume part of her trip will be to check things out in advance of a final move anyway, which is perfectly fine. Many people enter for a short trip after they get their visas and then relocate permanently at some future date (including me!)

Thanks for the quick response, @SusieQQQ. She is about to purchase her tickets now and she has to answer if she is entering as a citizen, a permanent resident, or a visitor. I hope it won't be an issue if she picks "visitor" now and enters as a permanent resident later.

If you are from a country where "national service" is required, then the military service record is expected. If the person did not serve, not producing a military certificate could be assumed because they are hiding something and in that case it is smart to produce the exemption cert to explain the situation and avoid AP while they confirm that the selectee complied and did not break any laws.

Why do they care whether you served or not? Well for one thing they want to know you fulfilled your obligation if there was one. However, I think the reason could be that military justice is apart from civilian justice so complete criminal history is only possible through military files.
You are quite correct Simon.I was asked or my discharge papers since they knew that I had served in the British Army, simply to check that it was not a dishonorable discharge as a lot of offences don' make it to the civilian records. e.g. being cashiered out for dishonesty or cowardice. I also know some Russians here who had served in the Red Army as conscripts, and had to show their discharge papers, which in their case may be a "no service" discharge i.e. exemption.
So yes the only reason they want the papers is to ensure the candidates are not hiding any misdemeanors they may have committed that didn't make it to the civilian records.

Thanks for the quick response, @SusieQQQ. She is about to purchase her tickets now and she has to answer if she is entering as a citizen, a permanent resident, or a visitor. I hope it won't be an issue if she picks "visitor" now and enters as a permanent resident later.

Who does she have to answer???
Whoever it is, it won't be USCIS ... If it is details for the airline those can be changed right to just before travel.
When she enters she also won't need to fill in a landing card if she has an immigrant visa.

@SusieQQQ It is Singapore Airlines. She is asked to enter her passport information as well. Crazy, I know.

Ok, so that will just be for the info required by the US for those flying to the country. After she gets her visa, which will also have an alien number, she can change it to permanent resident (you need an alien number for that option). It will then also remove the question about address in the U.S.

Ok, so that will just be for the info required by the US for those flying to the country. After she gets her visa, which will also have an alien number, she can change it to permanent resident (you need an alien number for that option). It will then also remove the question about address in the U.S.
@SusieQQQ Thank you much for your advice!! I'm sure I'll have more questions later.

You are quite correct Simon.I was asked or my discharge papers since they knew that I had served in the British Army, simply to check that it was not a dishonorable discharge as a lot of offences don' make it to the civilian records. e.g. being cashiered out for dishonesty or cowardice. I also know some Russians here who had served in the Red Army as conscripts, and had to show their discharge papers, which in their case may be a "no service" discharge i.e. exemption.
So yes the only reason they want the papers is to ensure the candidates are not hiding any misdemeanors they may have committed that didn't make it to the civilian records.

Thanks for that confirmation Martin!

Ex army huh. I doff my hat to you - thank you for your service.

wpid-wp-1404470708873[1].jpeg

HM already thanked me by giving me a medical discharge after a slight disagreement with a very angry Taliban in Helmand who donated some Brass for my collection o_O
But thanks anyway.
No permanent damage I hope.
In regards to the army service, what if you are of age, but didn't serve because you are still a student? In Iran the age is 18, but if you go to college, then they won't call you up until finished.

Calling all experts... My sister's CN is AS56xx. She has received her 2nd NL and her interview date is on June 2nd, 2015. She doesn't plan to move to the United States immediately after she passes her interview, fingers crossed that everything will go well. However, she intends to come to the United States as a tourist for 3 weeks in August 2015. Can she do that? She plans to move here permanently in October 2015. Thank you very much and I look forward to your answers.

Yes..assuming 'tourist' means arriving on the DV visa , exiting and making the permanent move in October.

Dear everybody
A miracle happened.

I just got our visa right now (of course mine+my son, my husband still AP)
Why miracle ?
Because I'm from Iran, My job field is in oil&gas and have Msc in chem and cleared in just 21 days
Ofcourse my husband has been served in miliatery service and still inder AP
So we will wait for his clearance then move to "The Land of Golden Dreams"
Thanks a lot to :

Dear Britsimon, dear Martin9, dear Susie qqq, dear Sm1smom
Also my dear friends utopia & behdadk

Dears, my wife is a DV winner and her CN is AF2015 25xxx (Egypt)and it is expected to be current in July, and i have a valid B1-B2 visa so i had an idea to travel to US and visit some friends from different states to see which state will be more suitable for us in case that we will get the green card and contact some companies which have send me some job offers before but unfortunately the CBP officer didn't allow to inter the US as i didn't have the right type of visa and asked me to withdraw my visa and go home and he said that i can apply for another visa any time and that will be instead of cancelling my visa and in this case i will not be able to apply for visa for 5 years. so please advise shall i move on in the interview preparations or i consider that i have lost this opportunity?

Dear everybody
A miracle happened.

Why miracle ?
Because I'm from Iran, My job field is in oil&gas and have Msc in chem and cleared in just 21 days
Thanks a lot to :

Congratulations Laleh. Very well done. Hopefully your husband will clear soon. Have a wonderful life and I trust you be happy here.
21 days is pretty quick for Iran, do you know from your Iranian Forum if the clearance rate is better than last year or not? It may impact the ROA.

Best wishes
Martin

No permanent damage I hope.
In regards to the army service, what if you are of age, but didn't serve because you are still a student? In Iran the age is 18, but if you go to college, then they won't call you up until finished.
No, nothing permanent. :)
Thanks.
I think you should ask this question directly from the embassy or other Iranians in the same boat who have gone through it. I'm sure you ae not the only one in that situation.
Good luck.

Dear everybody
A miracle happened.

Why miracle ?
Thanks a lot to :

Fantastic news! Truly happy for you and I hope your husband clears his AP too soon. Congratulations! :)

No, nothing permanent. :)
Thanks.
I think you should ask this question directly from the embassy or other Iranians in the same boat who have gone through it. I'm sure you ae not the only one in that situation.
Good luck.
Thanks. It wasn't for me, but for a friend. I'll tell him.

Dears, my wife is a DV winner and her CN is AF2015 25xxx (Egypt)and it is expected to be current in July, and i have a valid B1-B2 visa so i had an idea to travel to US and visit some friends from different states to see which state will be more suitable for us in case that we will get the green card and contact some companies which have send me some job offers before but unfortunately the CBP officer didn't allow to inter the US as i didn't have the right type of visa and asked me to withdraw my visa and go home and he said that i can apply for another visa any time and that will be instead of cancelling my visa and in this case i will not be able to apply for visa for 5 years. so please advise shall i move on in the interview preparations or i consider that i have lost this opportunity?

Yes, I would suggest you continue with your interview preparation. Seems to me like the CBP officer felt like you were trying to enter the U.S. on a NIV with the mind of staying permanently. Anyway, the reason for this denial isn't something that's likely to impact your DV interview as far as I can gather from your narrative.

Dear everybody
A miracle happened.

Why miracle ?
Thanks a lot to :

So happy to hear!
I am assuming there is more than enough time for your husband to be cleared from AP before September so all looking good!