• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 Winners Meet Here

The legal documents all show them as parents. It's not the job of the doctor to ask for custody documentation.
Also, do you personally know the woman whose visa was cancelled you talk about? Or was it something you heard from someone who claimed to have heard it? Because it sounds contrary to procedure to cancel her visa; if you had said they just cancelled the kid's visa, that would be more believable.

Indeed! Making it sound like the woman presented some dubious documents while the father was able to present a genuine B/C indicating he's the father and the child was being taken away without his consent.

Like we told you before, I honestly do not think there will be an issue with the CO. You included the child on your eDV application, documents proving your relationship with the child (such as B/C and passport) are in your name. Now of course there is the issue of the immunization card which is in the birth mother's name. I expect the nurse in charge of registration to question why the last name on the immunization card is different from that on your 2NL and the child's passport, and that can easily be explained by you telling the truth - which is the child is adopted hence the immunization card was issued with the birth mother's name. I don't expect the nurse or the doctor to request to see adoption papers. You just need to check and cross check that the medical records that will be sent back to the embassy is listed with your last name, and one of the ways you can do that is to confirm the the child's form is filled with your last name.

I see no reason why the CO would request for a DNA test! Not unless you and the rest of your family are used to treating the child different from the way you treat your biological kids. One of the things they do at the interview is to quietly observe how family members are relating to one another while waiting to be called up to meet the CO. The people that often fail this observation test are those with some kind of arranged marriages or those trying to claim a child that was not previously listed, and if the CO suspects a couple with a child is behaving in an odd way, then they request for a DNA. I see no reason why a DNA test would be requested in your case.
Thank you very much for the invaluable pieces of advice. We now feel a big sigh of relief.
After considering your advice, my wife and I will engage a lawyer to process the legal adoption documents so that we have them ready before interviews just in case. Otherwise, we shall proceed with the rest of the documents as they are. Thanks again Mom, Susie, Simon, Nayfara... God bless you big!

Thank you very much for the invaluable pieces of advice. We now feel a big sigh of relief.
After considering your advice, my wife and I will engage a lawyer to process the legal adoption documents so that we have them ready before interviews just in case. Otherwise, we shall proceed with the rest of the documents as they are. Thanks again Mom, Susie, Simon, Nayfara... God bless you big!
Am not sure about the legal process. But, is it possible to write your name as a father/mother on the original application and Ds form while you are claiming that the kid is adopted? I understood from your previous post you include the kid as if you were biological parents. As of my knowledge, event though you adopted a child legally, he/she should be called by his real father name. I am ready to accept corrections.

Am not sure about the legal process. But, is it possible to write your name as a father/mother on the original application and Ds form while you are claiming that the kid is adopted? I understood from your previous post you include the kid as if you were biological parents. As of my knowledge, event though you adopted a child legally, he/she should be called by his real father name. I am ready to accept corrections.
In this scenario, the real father is unknown and the mother was quite young and unwilling to start her life as a single mother. My wife and I accepted to take care of this child and at the time of processing docs like passport, birth certificate, etc we simply had to fill application forms as the real parents. Besides, this is Africa where the mentioned documents are processed long after birth. I hope you understand me, and if you do, what is your suggestion going fwd?

In this scenario, the real father is unknown and the mother was quite young and unwilling to start her life as a single mother. My wife and I accepted to take care of this child and at the time of processing docs like passport, birth certificate, etc we simply had to fill application forms as the real parents. Besides, this is Africa where the mentioned documents are processed long after birth. I hope you understand me, and if you do, what is your suggestion going fwd?

I think the important thing here, as someone else mentioned, is that the child was on the original application. The concerns of the CO would first and foremost be that this was not a real adoption but a way of getting another green cad under false pretenses. That is clearly not the case. The CO will probably want to see custody documentation but even that is not a given, this does not seem to be consistently applied across embassies as that is a legal matter quite outside whether or not a visa can be validly granted. I really don't see a problem with the CO approving this case under the circumstances as they have been explained.

An adopted child IS supposed to take on the names of the parents adopting him/her. The child isn't supposed to retain the name of the birth father even if the father's name is known and listed on the original B/C. Adopting a child is not the same as acting as foster parents.

If you're planning on drawing up adoption papers, what date(s) are you planning on putting on it?

As of my knowledge, event though you adopted a child legally, he/she should be called by his real father name. I am ready to accept corrections.

No of course not. And anyway the father is unknown, you can't call the child "Johnny Unknown Name", but I have not heard of a single country where an adopted child does not take on the adoptive parents name.

If you're planning on drawing up adoption papers, what date(s) are you planning on putting on it?
We shall put the current dates just to make it formal. Just in case, we shall use the old documents to back up the adoption papers. However, we are still open to advice.

Simon, we just want to be on a safer side. Ideally, we want to close all the gaps.

Not sure that is safer. Things are different in your country perhaps, but I know that if I declared the documents I had previously obtained by false declaration were false, I would be in a world of trouble. Also, immigration papers dated now cannot be used in your DV case since you already listed the child as yours. That could get the whole case denied.

We shall put the current dates just to make it formal. Just in case, we shall use the old documents to back up the adoption papers. However, we are still open to advice.

You're simply going to end up complicating your case IMO! You submitted your eDV form back in 2013 and listed the child as yours. Now you want to present some paper with the present day date stating you adopted the child? Meanwhile, you have the B/C and passport listing you already as the parent! I'm sorry your plan does not make any sense to me.

But it's your case, do what you think is best for you.

Where these documents processed before or after your eDV registration?

UOTE="Britsimon, post: 2363719, member: 10"]Not sure that is safer. Things are different in your country perhaps, but I know that if I declared the documents I had previously obtained by false declaration were false, I would be in a world of trouble. Also, immigration papers dated now cannot be used in your DV case since you already listed the child as yours. That could get the whole case denied.[/QUOTE]
Quite confused. Will engage a local lawyer.

[QUOTE="JC4sure, post: 236377].
Quite confused. Will engage a local lawyer.[/QUOTE]

Your local lawyer is unlikely to know anything about DV.
All the legal documents have you listed as parents already. The vaccination document is not a legal document. By the way, when we took our kids for their medicals, we had actually lost one of the vaccination documents. It wasn't a problem... And that may just be the easiest way for you. I don't agree with the poster above that the nurse will even care, but if you have "lost" the vaccination document, the only one that might be a problem and one that you do not actually need, things might just suddenly get a whole lot easier, with worst case you have to pay for an extra vaccination or two.

All the legal documents have you listed as parents already. The vaccination document is not a legal document. By the way, when we took our kids for their medicals, we had actually lost one of the vaccination documents. It wasn't a problem... And that may just be the easiest way for you. I don't agree with the poster above that the nurse will even care, but if you have "lost" the vaccination document, the only one that might be a problem and one that you do not actually need, things might just suddenly get a whole lot easier, with worst case you have to pay for an extra vaccination or two.[/QUOTE]

Quite.

They were process long before the eDV registration.

That being the case, again I do not see any problem with your case from the CO angle.

Like I posted earlier an eagle eyed medical person may notice the fact that the immunization record you're presenting does not match the name listed on the B/C and a simple explanation of the fact that you adopted the kid should suffice. Of course the worse that can come out of that is for them to insist on giving all age appropriate immunization to the kid by claiming they do not believe the immunization card presented belongs to the child - again this is a worst case scenario and it cannot negatively impact your case at the time of the interview.

All the legal documents have you listed as parents already. The vaccination document is not a legal document. By the way, when we took our kids for their medicals, we had actually lost one of the vaccination documents. It wasn't a problem... And that may just be the easiest way for you. I don't agree with the poster above that the nurse will even care, but if you have "lost" the vaccination document, the only one that might be a problem and one that you do not actually need, things might just suddenly get a whole lot easier, with worst case you have to pay for an extra vaccination or two.[/QUOTE]
Thanks Susie. Great insight.