• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 Selectees from Ghana

@Britsimon please l wrote the advance level in Ghana but failed, want to know if still am qualified

It seems like we go into this same question over and over again. It is quite simple.

Ghana (like all countries) has a minimum education standard. Your countrymates can probably confirm this better than I but it is probably the advanced level you mention. If you sat those, but did not pass, then you are not qualified on education. I think this may be complicated by various changes that have taken place of the last few years in Ghana, but I think you should have a feeling for whether your education meets the US University entry standard or not.

FYI, the embassy in Ghana has a good description of the education system at the link below.

One notable paragraph says this:
"The minimum university standard for admission to post-secondary education is a ‘C-’ average on the SSSCE or WASSCE, with credits (A-D or A1-C6) in all subjects. U.S. universities should not admit Ghanaian students who have not attained at least this level. "

However, that may not be the precise standard applied for DV purposes.

http://ghana.usembassy.gov/education-of-ghana.html

Good link for WASSCE and GBCE comparison.
http://www.ghanawaec.org/HOME/EQUIVALENCEOFWASSCEANDGBCEGRADES.aspx

and one more link that may be of interest.

http://www.classbase.com/Countries/Ghana/Education-System

Last edited:
@Britsimon please l wrote the advance level in Ghana but failed, want to know if still am qualified
In Ghana, completion of High School education can only be by passing 3 electives and 3 core subjects ( 6 subjects in all), which is either SSSCE or WASSCE and IBDP, A levels or AP for those who attended international schools. On the face of the statement of results(SSSCE or WASSCE), it states the number of core subjects passed and same for the elective subjects. As Britsimonits said, failing exams means you are not qualify on education which is same as not having High school certificate. These days, mature students can gain admission into university not based on high school certificate especially for diploma students but based on age and a written examination conducted by the University in English. did you write university entrance examination before getting admission or you used your O-level results as a matured student?

yes l wrote the mature student entrance examination before getting admission to the university for the diploma course. l guess if l completed the diploma course l am qualified

Last edited:
yes l wrote the mature student entrance examination before getting admission to the university for the diploma course
good then, the case is settled. the university entrance is mainly for matured students who does not have SSSCE or WASSCE.

Folks im put on hold for a DNA test to be conducted (my son an I)

I got married to a lady last january (before I was selected).however
i had a boy with her when we were both married to different spouses.the issue is that we were childhood friends(lovers) but could not marry due to some issues

unfortunately both marriages did not work out and we were still seeing ourselves until she got pregnant for me (she was frank to her husband?)

This development brought about a break in either side until we decided to get married last january(before section) anticipating a filing on getting her citizenship

she however won same DV lottery in 2007 and left for the state in December 2008 but failed to include our son who was born july 2007

I subsequently won in 2015 and included my wife who is in the states on the ds260 form

in the nutshell, the CO on the interview could hardly hardly establish the true father of the boy (in my own view) and requested for pictures,
I truly had pictures of me with him including wife (then girlfriend) from year one to date including our wedding day fotos,

the interview was quite an interesting one .and my little boy was also interviewed.
all establshed a close relationship

was askes to go sit down about 30min and called again.
she (co) said all physical evidence proved positive but we need to establish your relationship with your "son" to clear you, hence a DNA would have to be conducted in the united states (not in ghana ) to authenticate my case.

I was given a form which have all the instructions of the process.
my wife who in back to ghana would then leave in 2weeks time and apply for the dna kits to be posted to the embassy for our specimen

so this is what happened on the 8th.i however anticipated this development

@aiguo, you said the case is settled. means am qualify to continued with the DV
you do not qualify since you do not have high school certificate. yes u are in the university by using university entrance examination for mature students but not sssce or wassce. i think you can look at qualification by occupation since you got experience there or called KCC to unlock your forms whiles you wait to finish your diploma.

Folks im put on hold for a DNA test to be conducted (my son an I)

I got married to a lady last january (before I was selected).however
i had a boy with her when we were both married to different spouses.the issue is that we were childhood friends(lovers) but could not marry due to some issues

unfortunately both marriages did not work out and we were still seeing ourselves until she got pregnant for me (she was frank to her husband?)

This development brought about a break in either side until we decided to get married last january(before section) anticipating a filing on getting her citizenship

she however won same DV lottery in 2007 and left for the state in December 2008 but failed to include our son who was born july 2007

I subsequently won in 2015 and included my wife who is in the states on the ds260 form

in the nutshell, the CO on the interview could hardly hardly establish the true father of the boy (in my own view) and requested for pictures,
I truly had pictures of me with him including wife (then girlfriend) from year one to date including our wedding day fotos,

the interview was quite an interesting one .and my little boy was also interviewed.
all establshed a close relationship

was askes to go sit down about 30min and called again.
she (co) said all physical evidence proved positive but we need to establish your relationship with your "son" to clear you, hence a DNA would have to be conducted in the united states (not in ghana ) to authenticate my case.

I was given a form which have all the instructions of the process.
my wife who in back to ghana would then leave in 2weeks time and apply for the dna kits to be posted to the embassy for our specimen

so this is what happened on the 8th.i however anticipated this development

Thanks for sharing and updating the forum with regards to your case. The CO IMO, did the right thing in requesting for a DNA test in view of the fact that your wife was married to someone else when she became pregnant with your child. The DNA test will certainly clear all the doubts they currently have. The good news is you were very fortunate to have a low CN and your interview has already taken place. So there's enough time for the process to be completed before the FY ends or they begin to run out of visa.

On the other hand, your wife's non inclusion of her child on her DV process could make things go either way for her. She violated the DV rules by leaving him out of the process, they may end up overlooking that when she tries to apply for citizenship, but you guys need to be aware of this as a potential issue.

@aiguo, so after the completion of my diploma course l am then qualified , seems l am disturbing but for the benefit of all please
I think that after completing the diploma course you have a paper on hand which is higher than sssce or wassce. With this you have a material to start your talk

@aiguo, so after the completion of my diploma course l am then qualified , seems l am disturbing but for the benefit of all please

Technically no that will not solve your issue. If you did not meet the requirement the attainment of a higher level degree is not, technically, a solution. If you pass you might take the risk, but it is quite likely to still be refused.

Thanks for sharing and updating the forum with regards to your case. The CO IMO, did the right thing in requesting for a DNA test in view of the fact that your wife was married to someone else when she became pregnant with your child. The DNA test will certainly clear all the doubts they currently have. The good news is you were very fortunate to have a low CN and your interview has already taken place. So there's enough time for the process to be completed before the FY ends or they begin to run out of visa.

On the other hand, your wife's non inclusion of her child on her DV process could make things go either way for her. She violated the DV rules by leaving him out of the process, they may end up overlooking that when she tries to apply for citizenship, but you guys need to be aware of this as a potential issue.

I was going to make that second point too. This could end badly.

thanks a lot mom, really appreciate ur imput, wil keep the forum updated

thank

please i want to send a mail to the embassy about my case....i want to ask them how far they have gone regarding my case....is it advisable to do that..??

but l have ACCA level 1
you are not getting the point or you get it but you not getting the suitable answer. High school certificate is minimum qualification and nothing else. ACCA is not high school. I sincerely believe you want to hear that yes, you are qualify by education although you know you do not. I believe you know that one does not need high school to write ACCA because it is a vocational/ professional qualification.

you are a credit officer so look at the qualification. http://www.onetonline.org/link/summary/13-2071.00

you are not getting the point or you get it but you not getting the suitable answer. High school certificate is minimum qualification and nothing else. ACCA is not high school. I sincerely believe you want to hear that yes, you are qualify by education although you know you do not. I believe you know that one does not need high school to write ACCA because it is a vocational/ professional qualification.

you are a credit officer so look at the qualification. http://www.onetonline.org/link/summary/13-2071.00

You are making the right point - but a credit counselor is not the same thing as a credit officer (at least in my understanding).

we don't use credit counselor as in wording in Ghana, but the functions are same as credit officer. done short course on credit and risk management, God will see me through

Last edited: