• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 Oceania winners

Hi all, I'm writing from my hotel in LA! My POE experience was the most simple and smooth part of this whole process. I arrived at LAX and went to customs and there was signs for the PR/US Citizen line or Visitor line, but no sign for 'new immigrants', so I asked a lady and she said to queue in the Visitor line. I handed over my sealed envelope, passport and customs card and the lady didn't even blink twice, she just looked at my passport then said "so you won the lottery" and then took my fingerprints on the electronic fingerprint thing and typed a bunch of stuff into the computer. I had a different address on my customs card to the address I put on my application so she asked which one I wanted my green card sent to then she took me to around to another area and said I needed to do my fingerprints for my green card.

Another guy took my index finger print in ink to go on my green card and got me to sign my name. It's a really small box to sign your name so he let me have two practice runs because as he said, "this will be on your card for the next 10 years". He even asked if I was sure I was ready after the second go, because I think it was a bit shaky but at that point I didn't think my signature was going to be getting any better after a 14 hour flight lol!

Then he opened the sealed envelope, did some stuff on my passport and gave me a piece of paper which I've attached a photo of and said "welcome to the USA", basically told me what was on the paper and that was it! It was all over in less than 15 minutes. They didn't need any extra photos or documents such as the DS260 or my x-Rays. They said the Green Card would arrive in 3-6 months.

So that's that! I kind of can't believe this process is finally over after first being selected May 2013 for DV2014 and not progressing, getting selected again for DV 2015 and finally attaining permanent residency! I will say I had a huge grin on my face walking out of customs :D
Congrats Essey!!! I've got a big smile on my face sitting here reading your post. It is all super exciting :)

Yes, I had a look too and everyone can be seen without joining. Until everything is 100% locked in for us we are keeping very low key about it.

Thanks for the well wishes everyone. Apartment in the Hollywood Hills has been secured, now I just need to get furniture and find a car.

Also, does anyone know what the situation with getting a SSN is? I recall ticking some sort of box or something for a SSN when I submitted my DS260 or something and read in that new immigrants guide that if you have done this you don't need to apply again, but then I remember reading other people on the forum saying that doesn't really work and you should go in and apply for one.

Off to Hawaii tomorrow!

That is your case number. Everyone who wins the lottery is allocated a case number. You get an interview once your case number goes 'current' (meaning there are sufficient visas for your case number).

I'd guess you won't go current until August or so.

Maybe we should change it to a Secret group as opposed to a Closed one. That way, our membership is completely private.

@SuicideBlonde, you're the admin. What do you think?

I can do that - currently it is set to "Anyone can find the group and see who's in it. Only members can see posts."
Secret will be : Only members can find the group and see posts.

hopefully that means people can still find it if they have the link? Ive changed it now, so someone who is not a member try out the link and let me know.

Thanks for the well wishes everyone. Apartment in the Hollywood Hills has been secured, now I just need to get furniture and find a car.

Also, does anyone know what the situation with getting a SSN is? I recall ticking some sort of box or something for a SSN when I submitted my DS260 or something and read in that new immigrants guide that if you have done this you don't need to apply again, but then I remember reading other people on the forum saying that doesn't really work and you should go in and apply for one.

Off to Hawaii tomorrow!

Awesome! how did you go finding a rental? We are worried about trying to get approved for one without having employment straight away (though we'll have sufficient savings!).

from memory of others posts, I think if your SSN doesn't apply promptly you can go chase it at an office and may have to reapply ?

Off to Hawaii tomorrow!

Great progress. The ssa need a few days before they csn find you in the system. For some prople checking the box worked, and the ssn arrives automatically in a couple of weeks. However, if i were you i would check with the ssa after a week to see you are in the system or if not, apply.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what cn2015000014xx means? should I expect an interview?
You have a few months ofwaiting, that number is at the beginning of therisky range, vut no one can say forsure what will happen. Best of luck....

Awesome! how did you go finding a rental? We are worried about trying to get approved for one without having employment straight away (though we'll have sufficient savings!).

Although it's a different city, we were also worried about getting a rental without jobs or US credit record and were surprised that a number of landlords/agents were quite understanding of a new immigrant situation. They did want to see our savings in a US bank account, covering between 6 and 12 months rent depending on agent. And obviously you'll be expected to pay the security deposit and first month's rent upfront. Most here wanted a security deposit of around 1.5x a month's rent, loaded by a few hundred dollars if you have a pet.

Emily I noticed you have a column for DS-260 submitted dates. Thought I might put some stats in the mill: I submitted first on the 19th of May, then updated (if that makes a difference) on the 23rd of July.

Rock on.

Congrats @Essey - thanks for your story...here's hoping everyone is processed so easily.
Welcome newcomers!
So 875...@EmilyW looks like we'll be current in the March VB (in Feb) which means April interview. I feel a bit deflated (and also hugely hungover) as I really had my heart set on a March interview. Probably shouldn't have set myself up for such a let down! I really wanted to resign from my job at the end of Jan!! It'll have to be end of Feb...another month of savings is how I'll look at it.
Morning OCers!!:)

I'd always aimed for a May date (as that is when my number went current in 2014) so April is good for me.

We'll be good @CBDK, I am hoping we are the same day and that we can have a celebratory champagne (or a slab of beer, whatever suits) after!

Last edited: