• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 Oceania winners

I got an extension in the end, so I've got more time to make sure. Do you live in Cali SusieQ? The hay fever is something else!!! LOL!

Yes - and yes, this year seems way worse than last year - I'm guessing because the good rains have meant all the flowers are in bloom this year!

Oh man, i totally forgot about tax time! Been so pre occupied wth everything else, I have not earned anything in the US yet, so I will just have to declare my AUS income,

Question? Is it two separate filings? for state and federal? Or just one?
I think I might just go to a local tax guy, hope it don't cost a fortune and i don't have to pay any tax

Oh man, i totally forgot about tax time! Been so pre occupied wth everything else, I have not earned anything in the US yet, so I will just have to declare my AUS income,

Question? Is it two separate filings? for state and federal? Or just one?
I think I might just go to a local tax guy, hope it don't cost a fortune and i don't have to pay any tax

Two separate ones.

@Hershal, happy to email you the details of the person who did ours. She was great. No fuss and super easy.
PM me the details aswell please Emily . Like Hershal I have forgotten this one aswell. Luckily most counties in Houston have an extended deadline due to the flooding situation that happened recently . That shall get me over the line

i had a terrible time with the 2015 DV entry and didn't win this year,

I was selected in 2015DV but my partner wasn't, but that was fine as we got married after entering.

Everything was going to plan had our interview paid our money and thought it was all done after initial interview.

Then the clerk noticed despite being Australian i was born in England, my parents immigrated here when i was a child.

He advised that it can only be approved if i was born in England while my parents were on holiday, and despite my wife being Australian we won on my entry prior to being married.

Dont know how i missed this or anyone else during the whole process.

Seems like such a minor technicality, and an extremely odd scenario, being born overseas whilst on a holiday is ok......how often does that happen.

Seems like such a minor technicality, and an extremely odd scenario, being born overseas whilst on a holiday is ok......how often does that happen.

I'm sorry for what must have been a very frustrating and disappointing experience. However, I feel it should be pointed out that the chargeability issue is not a minor technical matter - it is one of the two main bases for eligibility for DV, in fact the entire raison d'etre of the DV is diversity based on origin!! It's a pity that you must not have carefully read the instructions before entering, which make it very plain that there are very limited exceptions to being charged to your country of birth which, in your case, was ineligible and you did not fall into one of the exceptions, such as born while parents were temporarily abroad, that would have offset that.

I was selected in 2015DV but my partner wasn't, but that was fine as we got married after entering.

Everything was going to plan had our interview paid our money and thought it was all done after initial interview.

Then the clerk noticed despite being Australian i was born in England, my parents immigrated here when i was a child.

He advised that it can only be approved if i was born in England while my parents were on holiday, and despite my wife being Australian we won on my entry prior to being married.

Unfortunately, that's the law. If you're not born in an eligible country, you are able to cross charge to your parents country of birth ONLY if you're parents where on a temporary stay/visit as at the time of your birth. And since you weren't married when you entered for the DV lottery, you cannot cross charge to your spouse either. A tough loss, but the law was accurately interpreted in your case.

And it's not unusual for a someone to successfully cross charge to their parents country of birth based on the basis of their being on a temporary stay in that country as at the time of birth. Not unusual at all.

As the others have said, that was a clear violation of the rule. You say you are Australian, but actually as far as the US immigration process is concerned, you were British and Brits are ineligble. As Mom and Susie have said you could have charged to your parents in the "missionary exception". You could also have charged to Australia through your wife, but that marriage must have pre-dated the eDV entry. So - as hard as it may seem the denial was correct and obvious - not a minor technicality.