• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 KENYA SELECTEES FORUM

Just received mine this morning..
Wow:that's superb-now will you mind giving timelines of the whole process(when you paid $165 before or after POE,whether you visited the USCIS offices until the time you received it) how long has it taken you.Your advice..

SSN will probably take 1-2weeks from the time you visit SSA offices to apply for it. Unless maybe they deliver it before hand, even without you visiting their offices. There are some people, "Only few of 'em" that I know that go to SSA office and they are told to wait a week or two and if by that time, if they won't have received their SSN then they can go back to SSA office and apply for one. What you require is you Passport and the visa stamped in it and they'll produce your SSN.
About that $165, whether you pay in Kenya or once you arrive here that on't actually matter alotbecause USCIS must get your brown envelop which you get a US Embassy abroad, and from there, then they'll go ahead and produce your card.
There's is a person I know that paid 1.5 months later after he arrived here in US and he got his Card in a weeks time. USCIS sent him aletter asking him to pay the money inorder for them to issue one. He did that the next day and by the end of that week they had already produced and mailed his card.(I don't suggest you do this though) All I'm trying to say is don't stress much about this $165, If you can pay whilst still in Kenya(Do it!), If that's Impossible, pay once you get here.
About drivers License, Once you get you SSN. You can go to dmv and apply for a license using your Passport/visa and tha SSN. Pass the written test and get a learns permit valid for 1 yr from the issue date. The tests aren't that hard, if you can download a dmv application on your android/ios gadget. Study whilst still there, they are the same questions, 36-40 questions all of 'em multiple choices. You can only get 4 wrong(Atleast here in CA).
Anything you guyz would like to ask?

Last edited:
hae guys i came to realize that my mums names in my birth cert have a problem when even applying my passport thy did not notice what should i do the names are wangombe but the real name there is no b what should i do advise can this affect my interviews

SSN will probably take 1-2weeks from the time you visit SSA offices to apply for it. Unless maybe they deliver it before hand, even without you visiting their offices. There are some people, "Only few of 'em" that I know that go to SSA office and they are told to wait a week or two and if by that time, if they won't have received their SSN then they can go back to SSA office and apply for one. What you require is you Passport and the visa stamped in it and they'll produce your SSN.
About that $165, whether you pay in Kenya or once you arrive here that on't actually matter alotbecause USCIS must get your brown envelop which you get a US Embassy abroad, and from there, then they'll go ahead and produce your card.
There's is a person I know that paid 1.5 months later after he arrived here in US and he got his Card in a weeks time. USCIS sent him aletter asking him to pay the money inorder for them to issue one. He did that the next day and by the end of that week they had already produced and mailed his card.(I don't suggest you do this though) All I'm trying to say is don't stress much about this $165, If you can pay whilst still in Kenya(Do it!), If that's Impossible, pay once you get here.
About drivers License, Once you get you SSN. You can go to dmv and apply for a license using your Passport/visa and tha SSN. Pass the written test and get a learns permit valid for 1 yr from the issue date. The tests aren't that hard, if you can download a dmv application on your android/ios gadget. Study whilst still there, they are the same questions, 36-40 questions all of 'em multiple choices. You can only get 4 wrong(Atleast here in CA).

Just FYI re paying the fee after arrival. This story sounds like others I have heard. So it seems once you land, even if you haven't paid the fee they still get the card production order triggered and in process...but they won't send it to you until they get the fee. So in a situation like this, card is ready and as soon as the fee is paid it is put in the mail and arrives quickly. So the delay vs paying before may be quite small as long as you don't leave paying it too late.

hi guys, when submitting the DS 260, the form didn't allow for use of some characters like the apostrophe. As such, i filled my name and submitted without the apostrophe. Have written to the KCC but 2 weeks have passed without their reply. Kindly advise

Wow:that's superb-now will you mind giving timelines of the whole process(when you paid $165 before or after POE,whether you visited the USCIS offices until the time you received it) how long has it taken you.Your advice..[/QUOTE

Sorry for the late reply, It's due to the time difference -8hrs I think. With regards to the $165 I paid about a week b4 entering the US, but I think It's not really a big deal whether u pay b4 entry or u enter b4 paying. And with the SSN fortunately for me I didn't have to visit the USCIS office, it took me 6 working days to get my SSN mailed to me. I was a bit worried cos of the change of addres I did at the POE, but my host told me if I did the right thing then there's no need to panic. So I think that's all the info for now

Excellent narration

QUOTE="sossie, post: 2373458, member: 367503"]sure John lets keep the hope alive but above all,lets take it to GOD in prayer and i am sure HE will grant us success[/QUOTE]
God has your plans

while booking for medical i was told adults is 138 us$ and children below 15 are 105us$ are there any other charges?
yes:booking is done at the reception and its just a guidline,you will proceed to the medical room and a nurse will request for vaccination records which will guide him/her in invoicing you.again if you ever contracted chicken pox the bill comes down by 4k.that's why they always accept payment on day 2 in case you came with less cash.in summary adults 20k children-24k approx

I have been informed that i had a bout of chicken pox when i was young. My children have had attacks of the same. The problem is we have no paperwork to show for it. will the iom need documents?

I have been informed that i had a bout of chicken pox when i was young. My children have had attacks of the same. The problem is we have no paperwork to show for it. will the iom need documents?

You're not required to present evidence/paper work of having had chicken pox in the past. The panel doctor takes your word for it if you tell them you've had chicken pox.

T
You're not required to present evidence/paper work of having had chicken pox in the past. The panel doctor takes your word for it if you tell them you've had chicken pox.
Thank you. Another question: Going through my d260, i realized that the part of language is not there.ie which languages i can speak. Will it have a bearing on my interview?

T
Thank you. Another question: Going through my d260, i realized that the part of language is not there.ie which languages i can speak. Will it have a bearing on my interview?

You will most likely have your interview in English, so don't worry about the language being indicated or not. In the US embassy in Kenya, English is the default language of communication.