• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 KENYA SELECTEES FORUM

Ye
I did contact the Embassy who said the same thing. To be honest with you, my husband's 2nd xray came out normal but they still requested for a third xray. I know my refusing to be examined by a male doctor has a lot to do with it, but I won't start fighting an "NGO" that charges 10 times the amount I would pay at a private hospital.
Look, moving to the USA is not a life or death situation for me but it might be for some. Hopefully, the guy who couldn't get TB clearance but now has will get my spot.
I'm still seeing if anything is possible in my case so lets wait and see.
Yes you contend with a bit of attitude IOM in Nairobi. I had to clearly remind one particularly unkind nurse that thats uncalled for.
Email the embassy about it
Have a good lawyer remind Iom what thry must do- comply with thr clients wishes, or meet in the corridors of Justice

I did contact the Embassy who said the same thing. To be honest with you, my husband's 2nd xray came out normal but they still requested for a third xray. I know my refusing to be examined by a male doctor has a lot to do with it, but I won't start fighting an "NGO" that charges 10 times the amount I would pay at a private hospital.
Look, moving to the USA is not a life or death situation for me but it might be for some. Hopefully, the guy who couldn't get TB clearance but now has will get my spot.
I'm still seeing if anything is possible in my case so lets wait and see.

so sorry hope all wil be sorted out.

UPDATE: As we all know my spouse's CXR came back with a scar, that too towards the end of the DV year. We have to undergo Sputum Cultures for my husband which will return results on 19th October 2015. That's even longer than the requisite 56 days. First Sputum was taken on 11/8/15. The process involves going for 3 days continuously at 7am and spitting phlegm. I thought it was the normal spit, but no. My husband tells me you need to cough up stuff from your chest and it is difficult and painful. Coughing a little before trying to spit helps loosen the stuff. For the 3 days they went, there were always around 6 new cases around for Sputum meaning it is not a rare occurrence.

Initially, we were against Sputum testing because the results would have been out after DV deadline, but we are glad we went through. Firstly, we will have peace of mind when the results are out and if not at least we will have detected his TB early enough. Secondly, the rest of the family is no longer considered "contacts" especially since the Sputum smears (results after 3 days) have come back negative.

Initially, IOM refused to split the files and send just My results along with my daughter's until my husband's results were out at which point the results were useless as the DV year would be over. I wrote to the Embassy on ImmigrationVisaNairobi@state.gov and the IOM on iomnbomedical@iom.int. I found the US Embassy to be extremely responsive and my emails were always answered the same day or next day if I sent the emails at night. The IOM on the other hand never responded to emails and all my communication was through phone and personal visits just to get answers, which were usually very inconsistent. I would be told one thing one day and something totally different the next day. I also live about 30 Kms from the Health Centre and in peak Nairobi traffic that meant 4-6 hours of travel daily. Then to be told there was no way my result would be sent seemed rather harsh. I am not sure if it was my email or correspondence between my father (a senior government official) and the US Embassy Protocol that resolved the issue. As of today I have met the Chief Medical Officer who agreed to release the file with my husband's result as incomplete after we signed for the same. Initially, they told us it will lead to outright rejection and they will no longer treat him IF TB is discovered and I would not get my sputum results at all. The CMO however told me I would get my results regardless of the immigrant case action as I paid for the sputum tests which sounds about right. Another advantage is that when I file for his spousal petition, the medical history of the particular scar discovered will already be with IOM so we may not need to repeat sputum.

So as it stands, I am still going to be interviewed on 8th September and will let you guys know what happens from there. It was a hard fight and one that I only took because this so called policy seems unjust. IOM justifies their stand by arguing that this is their interpretation of the instructions, but a part of me feels it is just a bureaucratic red tape that should be re-evaluated and proper procedure followed. I hope my case experience and resolution will help others coming to look at this forum for details should they be in such an unfortunate situation themselves. I am not fighting this for me, because God knows I have already made it here, I am doing this for the person who had all their hopes tied to a certain confirmation number and was left behind because of a teeny tiny scar.

UPDATE: As we all know my spouse's CXR came back with a scar, that too towards the end of the DV year. We have to undergo Sputum Cultures for my husband which will return results on 19th October 2015. That's even longer than the requisite 56 days. First Sputum was taken on 11/8/15. The process involves going for 3 days continuously at 7am and spitting phlegm. I thought it was the normal spit, but no. My husband tells me you need to cough up stuff from your chest and it is difficult and painful. Coughing a little before trying to spit helps loosen the stuff. For the 3 days they went, there were always around 6 new cases around for Sputum meaning it is not a rare occurrence.

Initially, we were against Sputum testing because the results would have been out after DV deadline, but we are glad we went through. Firstly, we will have peace of mind when the results are out and if not at least we will have detected his TB early enough. Secondly, the rest of the family is no longer considered "contacts" especially since the Sputum smears (results after 3 days) have come back negative.

Initially, IOM refused to split the files and send just My results along with my daughter's until my husband's results were out at which point the results were useless as the DV year would be over. I wrote to the Embassy on ImmigrationVisaNairobi@state.gov and the IOM on iomnbomedical@iom.int. I found the US Embassy to be extremely responsive and my emails were always answered the same day or next day if I sent the emails at night. The IOM on the other hand never responded to emails and all my communication was through phone and personal visits just to get answers, which were usually very inconsistent. I would be told one thing one day and something totally different the next day. I also live about 30 Kms from the Health Centre and in peak Nairobi traffic that meant 4-6 hours of travel daily. Then to be told there was no way my result would be sent seemed rather harsh. I am not sure if it was my email or correspondence between my father (a senior government official) and the US Embassy Protocol that resolved the issue. As of today I have met the Chief Medical Officer who agreed to release the file with my husband's result as incomplete after we signed for the same. Initially, they told us it will lead to outright rejection and they will no longer treat him IF TB is discovered and I would not get my sputum results at all. The CMO however told me I would get my results regardless of the immigrant case action as I paid for the sputum tests which sounds about right. Another advantage is that when I file for his spousal petition, the medical history of the particular scar discovered will already be with IOM so we may not need to repeat sputum.

So as it stands, I am still going to be interviewed on 8th September and will let you guys know what happens from there. It was a hard fight and one that I only took because this so called policy seems unjust. IOM justifies their stand by arguing that this is their interpretation of the instructions, but a part of me feels it is just a bureaucratic red tape that should be re-evaluated and proper procedure followed. I hope my case experience and resolution will help others coming to look at this forum for details should they be in such an unfortunate situation themselves. I am not fighting this for me, because God knows I have already made it here, I am doing this for the person who had all their hopes tied to a certain confirmation number and was left behind because of a teeny tiny scar.[/QUOTE

All the best. I love your courage and determination. May all go well with you and your family.

So as it stands, I am still going to be interviewed on 8th September and will let you guys know what happens from there. It was a hard fight and one that I only took because this so called policy seems unjust. IOM justifies their stand by arguing that this is their interpretation of the instructions, but a part of me feels it is just a bureaucratic red tape that should be re-evaluated and proper procedure followed. I hope my case experience and resolution will help others coming to look at this forum for details should they be in such an unfortunate situation themselves. I am not fighting this for me, because God knows I have already made it here, I am doing this for the person who had all their hopes tied to a certain confirmation number and was left behind because of a teeny tiny scar.

Frankly, the position taken by the IOM is ridiculous in several ways and cannot be justified in any way. It is not at all surprising to learn they have relented and I am glad you are proceeding and your husband is getting the appropriate tests.

USAmommy, well done for not giving up and demanding what you are entitled to! I am waiting to hear the good green news after your interview :)

Trust me, it wasn't fun being 6 months pregnant and driving day in day out of IOM to get my "right", missing work, reaching home everyday. I also know if my father wasn't influential, nothing would have moved forward. I feel guilty for cases that were in sputum with my husband. One a family of 4 had a suspect of 15 years old. Poor family has been time barred.

The only thing that kept me going was this forum which has been so informative and supportive and tell it like it is (sometimes you need that). I wasn't sure if I wanted to move alone so thanks for all the support. Will keep you posted.

Frankly, the position taken by the IOM is ridiculous in several ways and cannot be justified in any way. It is not at all surprising to learn they have relented and I am glad you are proceeding and your husband is getting the appropriate tests.
The embassy oughts to add more panel physicians here. There are many way better than the IOM medical facility in Nairobi

The embassy oughts to add more panel physicians here. There are many way better than the IOM medical facility in Nairobi

Funny thing is people from all over East Africa have to come here. Including Somalia and Uganda. Shouldn't they have branches atleast in Uganda, Mombasa etc?

Also true, we should have more options.

That's so sad.
I don't understand why IOM seems to mess up people like this. It is certainly not USCIS policy to not split the cases, as we have seen other cases in other countries where such cases are indeed split and the PA gets the visa while waiting for the derivative to get cleared. There was also a case reported on another forum where the applicant was also tested positive for TB a few months ago, and IOM just cancelled his appointment at the embassy as a result! He now has the medical clearance from IOM after treatment but is not having any luck getting a new appointment at the Nairobi embassy so it looks like he will miss out too. Since when does a group of doctors get such power in effectively being able to mess up people's visa applications???

I wish those who have been unable to reschedule appointments knew they can book the non - immigrant appointment, pay $150 ; go past the security clearance , but once inside the embassy present their case for immigrant VISA.i have adviced several selectees who could not get appointments and once inside they were requested to pay the immigrant fee and forfeit the previous non immigrant fee, (consider this as a last option).All cases were issued with visas.one case CN 8xxx was issued 2 weeks ago.

W
I wish those who have been unable to reschedule appointments knew they can book the non - immigrant appointment, pay $150 ; go past the security clearance , but once inside the embassy present their case for immigrant VISA.i have adviced several selectees who could not get appointments and once inside they were requested to pay the immigrant fee and forfeit the previous non immigrant fee, (consider this as a last option).All cases were issued with visas.one case CN 8xxx was issued 2 weeks ago.
A very good idea.

@usamommy2015 , I was the principal CN 3xx, I opted to go to IOM alone,and when they asked me about where the rest of my family members were (on 2NL).I told them they will come at a later date.They told me we should be together and I said NO, they did my medicals on October 13th october 2014, they sent my report to embassy and later my family did their's on 23rd October 2014 and was sent separate.I don't see why they shouldn't split yours.

The other case i mentioned earlier, the principal had postponed his interview twice November, January but attended the February; he too did the same went to IOM attended interview In February 2015 without his family members due to personal reasons.He later tried secure a visa appointment for his family witjiut success although they were current,in July 2015 i advised the family to proceed to IOM and then book the non immigrant visa (just to pass the security desk) once inside they were told they booked the wrong appointment but if they have the $330 for immigrant to proceed pay since they were already current.The hubby immigrated before his visa expired now in newyork but the family is preparing to join this month or sept.

Last edited:
Funny thing is people from all over East Africa have to come here. Including Somalia and Uganda. Shouldn't they have branches atleast in Uganda, Mombasa etc?

We actually have IOM in Uganda and I wrote to Nairobi asking if I could do medicals here but they refused. It makes the process very expensive!

@usamommy2015, if your hubby decided to join at a later date, will they still hold your results.i don't understand this.each member attend medicals separately (whether it's 10 minutes apart or 10 days like mine or 6 months like the case i mentioned) and results are read separately to spouse.if my spouse tested positive will they have recalled my results since we attended interview together but medical was done 10 days apart and the families report reached the embassy 4 days to the interview, yet mine was at the embassy a week before.!!

We actually have IOM in Uganda and I wrote to Nairobi asking if I could do medicals here but they refused. It makes the process very expensive!

If it's any consolation, it's quite normal that there is only one or two panel doctors for a country or group of neighboring countries. There are security and other issues involved in appointment of these doctors.

IOM in Uganda is not an approved panel doctor. And people have to have medicals by the approved panel doctor for the embassy they are doing the interview at, there are many cases of people who live in one country that has a panel doctor but' interviewing in their home country, they cannot get the medical done where they live if it is not the same country they interview in even if the doctor is an approved panel doctor where they live.