• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 AOS Only

hi mom and others,

Looking at magic8 experience. I was wondering how what I should expect and if I understand it right. My case is around 44000 and if at all I will be current in September 2015.Which means I can only send to Chicago Lockbox around July 9th, is this correct? Looking at magics, it seem it took almost 4 month to get from lockbox to interview. I have only 2 month. Do they take that into consideration?

Thanks

hi mom and others,

Looking at magic8 experience. I was wondering how what I should expect and if I understand it right. My case is around 44000 and if at all I will be current in September 2015.Which means I can only send to Chicago Lockbox around July 9th, is this correct? Looking at magics, it seem it took almost 4 month to get from lockbox to interview. I have only 2 month. Do they take that into consideration?

Thanks

- yes, if your CN is current for Sept, the earliest you can send in your package is July.

- processing time is FO dependent, and yes, they take into consideration the fact that the FY is approaching for those in that situation. It's usually a stressful, nail biting period, but it's doable.

hi mom and others,

Thanks

As Mom says it is doable. There were cases last year that went current in September and got through in time (one I am thinking about was approved on Sept 12).

thanks,

fingers crossed. I will try.
Some more questions. My FO probably will be Minnesota, Bloomington. Any prior experience with them?
I have read that people ask for congresswomen's(Minnesota) support to expedite their case. I have had interactions with her stuff and they mentioned that they can support/send letters regarding any visa issues. Should I ask ? At what point should they send support letter and where in my case.

Sorry if it is too specific.

Hi guys,

First of all I want thank everyone in this forum, I was so lucky to find this resource at the beginning of my process. Thank you so much Sm1smom for those detailed instructions, without them I wouldn't make it. I was reading this forum religiously to see if my case is processed within the time and just to calm myself down when my nerves started playing hard. BIG BIG THANK YOU!!!!
Yesterday I got my CPO, I waited 8 calendar days after my interview to get any update. To say I was worried is to say nothing. But i got it, better later than never. YAHOO!

I will post my timeline below. Like ndubs I was assigned to Queens field office that was closed later on and moved to 26 Federal Plaza, 8th floor.
so my case number is 2015EU000002xxx I became current in october.
10/20/2014 - package sent to Chicago lockbox
10/27/2014 - acceptance email
10/28/2014 - checks cashed
11/3/2014 - noa letter
11/8/2014 - bio letter received(date of the letter 10/31/2014)
11/12/2014 - bio walk-in (the actual appointment was for 11/17/2014)
01/15/2015 - field office requested my file
01/28/2015 - interview letter received (date of the letter 01/20/2015)
02/09/2015 - interview
02/17/2015 - CPO

The interview itself was very short and easy. My appointment was at 9.45 AM. At 9.10 I was already passing through security check. At 9.20 checked in, got my number and was waiting in the waiting room. Surprisingly there were very few people waiting. At 10AM my number was called. Officer took me to the room I took the oath, she asked me what school do I go to, when was my first time visiting USA, in what status ( I came in 2011 and never left the country, changed status), then she checked if I have all the appropriate documents like change of status, my I-20, transcript from school. I had a feeling she was more concerned if I am in legal status. Then she asked how many times did I play the lottery, how do people find out that they one. After she looked through my sponsor's papers, she asked who is that generous person :) And finally she went through all the questions from I485. Then she said that before approving she needs to look through all my papers again and see my background check. She didn't take any of my papers like I-94 she didn't right anything in my passport, she gave standard "Notice of interview results" letter, with first box checked (your case is being held for review) and that was it. I left the room at 10.15.

Then I was waiting long 8 days before hearing anything. I don't know what took her so long to approve my case...maybe the fact that she was not very knowledgeable about dv-lottery, or that office changed location or something else. But yesterday I got my CPO. Thank God!!!!

Anyways, thank you all very much. Congratulations to those who got their green card, and good luck to those who have interview in the future.
Congrats!

thanks,

fingers crossed. I will try.
Some more questions. My FO probably will be Minnesota, Bloomington. Any prior experience with them?
I have read that people ask for congresswomen's(Minnesota) support to expedite their case. I have had interactions with her stuff and they mentioned that they can support/send letters regarding any visa issues. Should I ask ? At what point should they send support letter and where in my case.

Sorry if it is too specific.

- There are links to past Timelines on the AOS spreadsheet, take a look at them to get an idea of the Minnesota FO processing time.

- The reports you read about those who where able to get assistance from their congress person should have give you a clue as to when their office can be involved

Anyway, utilizing the assistance of the congress person is usually one of the last resort to get an interview scheduled or to get a petition decided upon following the interview, if it seems like the case is being delayed. No one can tell you now precisely when you can use such an assistance when you haven't even started the process

Hello all,

I am in a dilemma right now.

So my CN is 2015AS75**. It seems unlikely that I'll be current before July at this point. I am in graduate school doing my PhD so my primary concern is that I do not want to jeopardize my status and/or be barred from entering the US.

At this point, I've submitted my DS-260. However, I might have to travel outside of the US at the end of June (which I really don't want to avoid). It doesn't seem like Advanced Parole is an option to me either (because of how long it takes).

From what I've seen here in the forum, even if I choose not to submit my AOS package, filing of DS-260 demonstrates 'immigration intent'. What is going to happen to me if I do not submit my AOS package, or in other words, not proceed with my DV application, and on June leave the country and try to come back?

Another option would be switching to CP and when I leave the US on June, I could go home and proceed there. However, that also is somewhat challenging in my situation given that I have to work during that time too.

So basically my question boils down to - if there comes a situation when I have to travel, how should I approach it? Or is it absolutely not possible? Does filing DS-260 and then not following through DV application cause me even more harm?

thanks!

- There are links to past Timelines on the AOS spreadsheet, take a look at them to get an idea of the Minnesota FO processing time.

- The reports you read about those who where able to get assistance from their congress person should have give you a clue as to when their office can be involved

Anyway, utilizing the assistance of the congress person is usually one of the last resort to get an interview scheduled or to get a petition decided upon following the interview, if it seems like the case is being delayed. No one can tell you now precisely when you can use such an assistance when you haven't even started the process

Thanks mom. I will go over them.

Hi guys,

First of all I want thank everyone in this forum, I was so lucky to find this resource at the beginning of my process. Thank you so much Sm1smom for those detailed instructions, without them I wouldn't make it. I was reading this forum religiously to see if my case is processed within the time and just to calm myself down when my nerves started playing hard. BIG BIG THANK YOU!!!!
Yesterday I got my CPO, I waited 8 calendar days after my interview to get any update. To say I was worried is to say nothing. But i got it, better later than never. YAHOO!

I will post my timeline below. Like ndubs I was assigned to Queens field office that was closed later on and moved to 26 Federal Plaza, 8th floor.
11/3/2014 - noa letter
02/09/2015 - interview
02/17/2015 - CPO

The interview itself was very short and easy. My appointment was at 9.45 AM. At 9.10 I was already passing through security check. At 9.20 checked in, got my number and was waiting in the waiting room. Surprisingly there were very few people waiting. At 10AM my number was called. Officer took me to the room I took the oath, she asked me what school do I go to, when was my first time visiting USA, in what status ( I came in 2011 and never left the country, changed status), then she checked if I have all the appropriate documents like change of status, my I-20, transcript from school. I had a feeling she was more concerned if I am in legal status. Then she asked how many times did I play the lottery, how do people find out that they one. After she looked through my sponsor's papers, she asked who is that generous person :) And finally she went through all the questions from I485. Then she said that before approving she needs to look through all my papers again and see my background check. She didn't take any of my papers like I-94 she didn't right anything in my passport, she gave standard "Notice of interview results" letter, with first box checked (your case is being held for review) and that was it. I left the room at 10.15.

Then I was waiting long 8 days before hearing anything. I don't know what took her so long to approve my case...maybe the fact that she was not very knowledgeable about dv-lottery, or that office changed location or something else. But yesterday I got my CPO. Thank God!!!!

Anyways, thank you all very much. Congratulations to those who got their green card, and good luck to those who have interview in the future.

Congratulations!!!

Hello all,

I am in a dilemma right now.

So my CN is 2015AS75**. It seems unlikely that I'll be current before July at this point. I am in graduate school doing my PhD so my primary concern is that I do not want to jeopardize my status and/or be barred from entering the US.

At this point, I've submitted my DS-260. However, I might have to travel outside of the US at the end of June (which I really don't want to avoid). It doesn't seem like Advanced Parole is an option to me either (because of how long it takes).

From what I've seen here in the forum, even if I choose not to submit my AOS package, filing of DS-260 demonstrates 'immigration intent'. What is going to happen to me if I do not submit my AOS package, or in other words, not proceed with my DV application, and on June leave the country and try to come back?

Another option would be switching to CP and when I leave the US on June, I could go home and proceed there. However, that also is somewhat challenging in my situation given that I have to work during that time too.

So basically my question boils down to - if there comes a situation when I have to travel, how should I approach it? Or is it absolutely not possible? Does filing DS-260 and then not following through DV application cause me even more harm?

thanks!

You should be able to come back into the US following your trip in June without having an AP card provided your I-485 package hasn't been submitted and as long as your current visa hasn't expired or you do not need to go to an embassy to get a new F1 visa. Just be aware that it wouldn't be advisable to submit your I-485 package immediately upon your return, even though your immigrant intent is deemed to have been declared before traveling out in June. If you submit your package before traveling, you must have the AP card before leaving or your petition will be regarded as abandoned.

Hi guys,

11/3/2014 - noa letter
02/09/2015 - interview
02/17/2015 - CPO

Congratulations!! Really pleased for you, enjoy the new status! Good to see that the NYC office are moving along some what..although I couldn't help but notice how your timeline is nearly identical to mine, give or take a day or 2 from the point the application was sent to the lockbox to the biometric date..after that point it seems it fell down for me as I still have not received the interview letter, judging by the timeline I should have received it around 3 weeks ago.. @Sm1smom @Britsimon should I be majorly worried at this point?

Last edited:
Congratulations!! Really pleased for you, enjoy the new status! Good to see that the NYC office are moving along some what..although I couldn't help but notice how your timeline is nearly identical to mine, give or take a day or 2 from the point the application was sent to the lockbox to the biometric date..after that point it seems it fell down for me as I still have not received the interview letter, judging by the timeline I should have received it around 3 weeks ago.. @Sm1smom @Britsimon should I be majorly worried at this point?

Would it do any good to tell you not to worry??

I feel for you....

Would it do any good to tell you not to worry??

I feel for you....

Probably because I am now panicking (in case my file has gotten lost and is collecting dust somewhere), but for some reason I don't know what you meant by that..are you saying I should not worry or I should?

Don't give up and push them, politely but firmly. Infopass every 3-4 weeks, or as you feel possible? You are likely to get another officer to talk to, or ask if possible. Try calling the 800 number and ask for second tier support. When the time from the lockbox receipt reaches six months submit a case inquiry on the webpage. Try to reason that KCC told you to follow up with them and told you to check if they had received the DS260 or to schedule an appointment for the interview. Actually both of them are true, at least that's what KCC had told me.

Probably because I am now panicking (in case my file has gotten lost and is collecting dust somewhere), but for some reason I don't know what you meant by that..are you saying I should not worry or I should?

ndubs, if it makes you feel any better, my application is being processed through the NY office and I've been waiting for my interview letter for four months now (I did my biometrics on Oct 16). I had an Infopass appointment yesterday and was told my file is in the building and is going through preliminary review. It wasn't very helpful; I was basically told to wait and that everything is moving within the normal processing time.

I don't want you to worry - but I know you will - it is normal to worry. I don't think you can expect two cases to be the very same - so unfortunately you have to wait some more. I would be thinking about getting an infopass if I were you....

Don't give up and push them, politely but firmly. Infopass every 3-4 weeks, or as you feel possible? You are likely to get another officer to talk to, or ask if possible. Try calling the 800 number and ask for second tier support. When the time from the lockbox receipt reaches six months submit a case inquiry on the webpage. Try to reason that KCC told you to follow up with them and told you to check if they had received the DS260 or to schedule an appointment for the interview. Actually both of them are true, at least that's what KCC had told me.
ndubs, if it makes you feel any better, my application is being processed through the NY office and I've been waiting for my interview letter for four months now (I did my biometrics on Oct 16). I had an Infopass appointment yesterday and was told my file is in the building and is going through preliminary review. It wasn't very helpful; I was basically told to wait and that everything is moving within the normal processing time.
I don't want you to worry - but I know you will - it is normal to worry. I don't think you can expect two cases to be the very same - so unfortunately you have to wait some more. I would be thinking about getting an infopass if I were you....

Thanks for the reassurance guys! I have an infopass scheduled in just over a week so I will mention the KCC thing then too, actually now that I think back I'm pretty sure I remember a lady at KCC telling me the same thing that I have to contact NY office to schedule an interview, I didn't say anything to her but technically I can say this to them even if we know it is not how it works. @Kk99 sorry to hear the infopass wasn't that helpful, hopefully your IL turns up very soon - I always assumed they would process the applications in the order they receive them but I guess that is not the case. It probably does not help matters that the Queens office is closed and all the cases are being sent to NY office, I am guessing that is creating a backlog. I will update after I have the infopass, hopefully I will have something helpful to share.

Hi Folks, curious to know if during an infopass appointment the officer would have some information about my previous infopass appointments? For example if I was told to wait a certain amount of time but I scheduled sooner, would they question it during the appointment? Any idea or advice?

hello @Sm1smom ,
I have done today my finger print,
thank you for all your help with guiding us..
1.Do I have to just wait now for interview letter? How long does it take usually for them to send it ?
2. What is infopass everybody is talking about? do I have to do smthng else in between while waiting?
thanks a lot